Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Announcement: Low End Box Weekly “HR3” — “Host Rep Roundup Rodeo!” - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Announcement: Low End Box Weekly “HR3” — “Host Rep Roundup Rodeo!”

124»

Comments

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

@CoastHosting said:

@Not_Oles said: @dustinc @VirMach Please consider utilizing our new "Host Rep For A Day" program! Established providers can become Host Reps for a day, submit free advertising to Low End Box's HR3, and then automagically revert to full provider status. It's free advertising, so why not?

This is pointless and blurs the lines why established providers even pay for a tag.

Hi @CoastHosting!

Sorry!

As I said above:

The "Host Rep For A Day" program is just my sense of humor getting out of control. Apologies to anyone who thought HR4AD was serious.

Best wishes and kindest regards! 💖

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@Not_Oles said:
    Host Reps can publish offers in the weekly Host Rep Roundup Rodeo over at Low End Box.

Please see details posted on Low End Box.

The first HR3 is planned for Wednesday, March 16!

Host Reps, please get offers to @Not_Oles before midnight UTC on Tuesday, March 15.

Thanks everyone! ¡Saludos! :)

Sorry but after your "public masturbation" LEB thread the weight of your referencing/recommending anything is where my trust in you (and LEB) currently is, in the basement.

Thanked by 4bulbasaur dosai zed adly
  • barkbark Member

@FrankZ said:

@Not_Oles said: Ahoy @FrankZ! Yes, ragbagger here! Sold her, though, prior to moving to the desert. Snif! I miss her still! 💖

It takes one to know one. :sunglasses: Luckily for me I sailed mine enough years and to enough places that when I finally sold her, because I got too old, I was ok with it. Living on a boat is great, but it is also a lot of work and responsibility taking those you love to sea.

Good luck to you in your new job. Capt @Not_Oles

Old sailors never die, they just get a little dinghy. ;)

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • Is there someone I can slip a dollar into their thong strap to expedite the process? I am not very good with applications as I can only write in colored pencils or goat blood.

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

LEB is what got me to LET so even if it's old, it's still important. I just wish more precise tagging would be done there, it used to be a good way to find interesting vps deals.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@risharde said:
    LEB is what got me to LET so even if it's old, it's still important. I just wish more precise tagging would be done there, it used to be a good way to find interesting vps deals.

I was thinking about the tagging just yesterday and how it could use a bit of improvement. The related posts plugin we use isn't the smartest and can be easily confused.

Any suggestions on how we could make the tagging better from a user's perspective?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@jbiloh said:

Any suggestions on how we could make the tagging better from a user's perspective?

Come up with a proper taxonomy?

Why is it when anyone suggests that something could be done better on LEB the response is ‘what do you think we should do’ or ‘would you like to do it’?

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited April 2022

@Nekki said:

@jbiloh said:

Why is it when anyone suggests that something could be done better on LEB the response is ‘what do you think we should do’ or ‘would you like to do it’?

Why would you even ask? Do you see any "I like what you did there" posts? He gets shit on when he doesn't ask and gets shit on when he does ask. There's no vision and he isn't "one of us" to have the vision to just dictate the best way to do things.

I once had a boss who wasn't the most technical despite being a tech VP. He was an excellent manager who relied on the opinions of really good people but couldn't really do any of it himself, was never going to use the product, etc. I've also had bosses that knew the product but shit manager. The best manager is both.

edited April 2022

@TimboJones said:

@Nekki said:

@jbiloh said:

Why would you even ask? Do you see any "I like what you did there" posts? He gets shit on when he doesn't ask and gets shit on when he does ask. There's no vision and he isn't "one of us" to have the vision to just dictate the best way to do things.

I once had a boss who wasn't the most technical despite being a tech VP. He was an excellent manager who relied on the opinions of really good people but couldn't really do any of it himself, was never going to use the product, etc. I've also had bosses that knew the product but shit manager. The best manager is both.

It never hurts to ask, you might learn something. A least that's been my experience over the years.

I figured by asking, someone might have a better plugin to suggest based on experience (vs. "Related Posts" which is what we use, and as I mentioned in my earlier remarks, only groups by category or tags in a fairly unintelligent way).

I am not a cmd line pro nor am I a developer -- but I understand most things tech well enough to get by. I've racked thousands of servers and built datacenters from the ground up. So I am not a complete tech slouch. :)

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

@jbiloh I don't use WP so I cannot recommend a plugin but just from a user perspective of what I needed, I was looking for ddos protected vpses and I think there was a tag but it seems it was either not updated or it tagged vpses that weren't protected (sorry my memory doesn't always serve me well). There was also the tags for locations where I couldn't find a vps in a location - this I think was because the offers on LET aren't added to LEB I guess so that's not so much a bug as it is a nuisance because even Google is sometimes not Google enough to find the LET post you might be looking for. That being said, maybe vanilla search works better now ? I haven't tried it because it was terrible before.

@risharde said:
    @jbiloh I don't use WP so I cannot recommend a plugin but just from a user perspective of what I needed, I was looking for ddos protected vpses and I think there was a tag but it seems it was either not updated or it tagged vpses that weren't protected (sorry my memory doesn't always serve me well). There was also the tags for locations where I couldn't find a vps in a location - this I think was because the offers on LET aren't added to LEB I guess so that's not so much a bug as it is a nuisance because even Google is sometimes not Google enough to find the LET post you might be looking for. That being said, maybe vanilla search works better now ? I haven't tried it because it was terrible before.

I've fixed up the "ddos protection" keyword so that it has all recent offers:

https://lowendbox.com/?s=ddos&searchsubmit=Find

I am going to spend some more time tonight cleaning up some of the recent tagging as well.

Thanked by 2Not_Oles risharde
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@TimboJones said:

@Nekki said:

@jbiloh said:

Suggestions have been offered. I literally just provided one.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@jbiloh said:

@risharde said:

I've fixed up the "ddos protection" keyword so that it has all recent offers:

https://lowendbox.com/?s=ddos&searchsubmit=Find

I am going to spend some more time tonight cleaning up some of the recent tagging as well.

Don't ad-hoc it, you'll probably make a mess in the long term. Take a few days, work on a taxonomy that you think makes sense, get some users to review it, listen to the feedback and adapt your taxonomy, then apply to recent + future offers, you can go back and retag older articles later if needed.

I think there's something wrong with me, I don't know why I keep trying to help.

• Just a suggestion, it may be a good idea to address the questions in the comments here:
    https://lowendbox.com/blog/10g-shared-unmetered-uk-vms-from-bruh21-of-gardencloud-fourth-host-rep-roundup-rodeo/

You're going to lose precious engagement if you ignore the commenters.

@HackedServer said:
    Mean Comments per Post by Month: Explore yourself

Graph Image
    Mean Comments per Post by Month
    Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@NoComment said:
    Just a suggestion, it may be a good idea to address the questions in the comments here:
    https://lowendbox.com/blog/10g-shared-unmetered-uk-vms-from-bruh21-of-gardencloud-fourth-host-rep-roundup-rodeo/

@HackedServer said:

Graph Image

Who needs accurate details when you have pictures of rodeo though?

@NoComment said:
    Just a suggestion, it may be a good idea to address the questions in the comments here:

@HackedServer said:

Graph Image

Hi @NoComment! There indeed were comments of which I had not been aware! I have to figure out how I missed them. Thank you for your help! Tom

Greeting Host Reps and Rodeo Fans!

It's time to announce this week's Host Rep Roundup Rodeo! Please PM me your offers before midnight UTC Tuesday, April 19, 2022!

I hear reports of sales! Revenue! Yaaay! 🎉🍾

Hello again!

I just received a request from a Patron Provider for inclusion into the next HR3.

HR3 was intended to support Host Reps, but, to the extent that HR3 has space while we await additional Host Rep engagement, I'm delighted to include offers from Patron Providers!

Thank you!

Best!

Tom

• adlyadly Veteran

@Not_Oles said:
    HR3 was intended to support Host Reps, but, to the extent that HR3 has space while we await additional Host Rep engagement, I'm delighted to include offers from Patron Providers!

If at first you don’t succeed, undermine the entire purpose for which the initiative was created. 👍

Hello Gentlemen!

It's time for our next HR3!

Host Reps, if you want free advertising on next week’s Seventh Low End Box HR3, please PM your offers to me, @Not_Oles, before midnight UTC next Tuesday, April 26, 2022.

Patron Providers, if not enough Host Reps take advantage of this opportunity, you're welcome to join!

Best wishes and kindest regards! <3

Tom

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Not_Oles said:
    Hello Gentlemen!

Host Reps, if you want free advertising on next week’s Seventh Low End Box HR3, please PM your offers to me, @Not_Oles, before midnight UTC next Tuesday, April 26, 2022.

Patron Providers, if not enough Host Reps take advantage of this opportunity, you're welcome to join!

Tom

Can I advertise something?

• dosaidosai Member

@Nekki said:

@Not_Oles said:
    Hello Gentlemen!

Tom

Can I advertise something?

🍆

Good morning Host Reps! :)

Your next opportunity for free advertising on the HR3 closes tomorrow!

Tomorrow, Tuesday, May 3, 2022 at midnight UTC is the deadline for submitting offers for this week's HR3!

I am thinking about redesigning the Low End Box HR3 presentation format. Until now the format has featured HR3 itself above the "Read More" link and the offers below the "Read More" link. However, by now, perhaps most regular LEB readers know about HR3.

Therefore, I am evaluating a format featuring the first Host Rep offer received that week up at the top of the post. Also the Host Rep's 300x300 logo could replace the Mexican rodeo scene that has been used for HR3. Information about HR3 itself would remain, but at the bottom of the post instead of at the top.

Thus, Host Reps who might want to be featured at the top of the post should consider (1) PMing me their offers a little early so as to be first in line, and (2) including a 300x300 logo in their PM along with their offer.

The advantage to the Host Reps could be that their HR3 offers might look more like the usual LEB offers. However, it might be a disadvantage to Host Reps that the new format would look less obviously like HR3.

With HR3 being so new, and not yet having tried "offer at the top + HR3 at the bottom," I do not yet have a good read on whether the "HR3 at the top" or the "offer at the top" format would result in more sales.

I do know that the Host Rep who has taken most advantage of the HR3 sold out. That was with the "HR3 at the top" format.

Best wishes from Mexico! <3

El caballero @Not_Oles

¡Buenos días!

So I changed the format of the HR3 to emphasize the first offer rather than the HR3 itself. Host Rep LightNode has and ad up on LowEndBox right now, so folks can see the new format at
    https://lowendbox.com/blog/exotic-vps-locations-with-special-discounts-from-lightnode-eighth-host-rep-roundup-rodeo-hr3/

Also, tomorrow, Tuesday, at midnight UTC normally would be the closing deadline for this week's HR3. But, this week, no deadline is set.

If a Host Rep PMs an offer, then I will post up to one HR3 per week. If no offers are received from any of our awesome Host Reps, then no HR3 will be posted.

So the opportunity for Host Reps to get free advertising on Low End Box plus one of two free Patron Provider tags still continues for Host Reps who want to take advantage.

Friendly greetings from Mexico! 👍

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited May 2022

Running dry already? Maybe lift the 14 day cool down period around here too. Seems like we haven't enough boring recurring offers at all.

Interesting enough people that paid don't post offer more frequently at all.

And those who didn't pay, do not focus an LET/B anymore.. who would have guessed that!

Best of luck with renewal and churn in five months. Better sell it before that, if there is any potential buyer dumb enough to not wait for exact figures on that.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Falzo said:
    Running dry already? Maybe lift the 14 day cool down period around here too. Seems like we haven't enough boring recurring offers at all.

And those who didn't pay, do not focus an LET/B anymore.. who would have guessed that!

Best of luck with renewal and churn in five months. Better sell it before that, if there is any potential buyer dumb enough to not wait for exact figures on that.

I’ll buy.

Thanked by 2Falzo skorous
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@Nekki said:

@Falzo said:

I’ll buy.

I'll buy LET for 1250 push-ups.
    After that, monthly operating cost would be less than $100 - I'll use Hetzner AX41-NVMe dedi for serving, Dropbox paid account for backup, and MXroute $5 plan for notification.
    Provider tag would be 17 push-ups per year, a great discount from current price.
    LEB will be deleted since nobody reads it anyway.
    DDoS? Just close the website until it subdues, and report the attacker to Santa for inclusion on the naughty list.