Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostUS - are they having serious problems? Should I be worried?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostUS - are they having serious problems? Should I be worried?

We've been with HostUS for several years now and their service has been nothing but top notch... until recently. I got an email a while back that some of our services with HostUS were going to be temporarily affected by a mandated transfer from NC to TX, as they had apparently lost their NC data center provider and would need to cut over to the new datacenter.

Tuesday morning our NC VPS had been restarted and was fine but email services associated with our web hosting service which runs on a server out of NC are down and I can't get into CPanel. I open a ticket, my access to CPanel is fixed, but all of our messages are gone and we still can't send or receive email. Subsequent tickets attempting to get the email issue resolved have gone completely unanswered and we're still without email 48 hours later.

This is completely out of character for them. Now I'm starting to wonder if the loss of the datacenter was just the tip of the iceberg. I would hate to lose them as a provider but I can't wait any longer. Has anyone on here heard anything about what might be happening with them?

Many thanks for any info that anyone can provide.

- Phil

Comments

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

˙ɥƃᴉu sᴉ puǝ ǝɥ┴

• armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep

@yoursunny said:
    ˙ɥƃᴉu sᴉ puǝ ǝɥ┴

Good thing i saw this post on my mobile, better turning mobile upside down and not my monitor.

• deadpool soon?

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Maybe @AlexanderM can shed some light on this.

• I hope, everything is fine with them, because I really like their services. Usually reliable, and strong. I have two 'small' and old VM from them, in Charlotte location, and I not remember when was any problem with them in the past. I also worry a little, because I got this notification from in December 6:

• deankdeank Member, Troll

It's Xmas gift.

For some, pain is a gift.

Thanked by 2yoursunny rooted
  • vovlervovler Member
    edited December 2021

i'M lOsInG MilLiOnS

They are just changing datacenters, I don't see why exactly you should be alarmed. It sucks for you cause you'll have 30min of downtime, but I bet they gave you a decent heads-up so you can plan ahead of time how you want to deal with them.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Is your email not on the same cPanel server? cPanel fully installs a mail server, why do you have a separate one? Is it your own VPS or did you purchase some kind of secondary standalone email service from them?

The reason I ask is this could be as simple as you fixing a DNS record in cPanel.

Thanked by 3Foul Logano webcraft
  • @jar said:
    Is your email not on the same cPanel server? cPanel fully installs a mail server, why do you have a separate one? Is it your own VPS or did you purchase some kind of secondary standalone email service from them?

The reason I ask is this could be as simple as you fixing a DNS record in cPanel.

Not sure... it's at the same IP adress, or it's supposed to be. According to their notice which titus posted above (thank you titus!) all IP addresses are supposed to stay the same.

The affected service is not on one of our/their VPSes, this is their "premium" web hosting service, which of course includes cPanel and email.

I run several Linux servers but I don't know much about cPanel from an administrative standpoint, only from a user's point of view. In my uninformed opinion it looks like cPanel could internally be pointing to the wrong place, at least in part. Here's why I think this:

My IMAP client cannot connect to email with my credentials, even if I temporarily accept the wrong certificate, however I can log into webmail through cPanel but none of my email is there... only a few bounce messages from years ago.

I administer two filtering MTAs (ASSP/postfix) in front of our email that our MX records point to, then email is relayed to the hosting account. SMTP traffic relayed to their server is still being accepted IF it contains one of my valid email addresses so that's working as expected, but again, the mail is not showing up in the inbox that I can get to through cPanel.

Our VoIP server sends fax and voicemail emails out to us as well as to our customers through the hosting account... those emails are not being sent out since the cut-over.

I think I need to completely host our own mail on our filtering MTAs and stop relying on the hosting email...

Oh wait a second... looks like they're fixing it now. My email has reappeared in cPanel webmail! WooHoo! I still can't get in via my IMAP client though.

Hopefully more good news to come soon...

- Phil

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

I thought hostus colo'd with quickpacket in charlotte?

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited January 2022

@PieHasBeenEaten said:
    I thought hostus colo'd with quickpacket in charlotte?

They seem to leave the building as well:

We are pleased to announce that we will be migrating all servers in Charlotte, NC to a new data center facility in Ashburn, VA during the month of January. The move to the new facility will enable us to continue to grow and service your needs now and in the future. Ashburn, VA is the largest data center market in the world and we will be able to provide substantially improved connectivity, including peering with many major networks such as Google, Facebook, and Cloudflare.

We know that you will have some questions about the move. Any questions or concerns are welcome. Please respond to this message or open a support ticket and we will be happy to answer them.

Here are a few questions and answers about the move.

Q: When will the move occur?

A: We are planning for Friday, January 21, going into Saturday, January 22. We will begin at 8:00PM Eastern Standard Time (GMT -5) on Friday, January 21.

Q: How long will the outage last?

A: The maintenance window is from 8:00PM on Friday, January 21 until 8:00PM on Saturday, January 22. While this maintenance window indicates that your server may be down for 24 hours, we anticipate that the actual outage will not last for the full maintenance window. While we cannot predict the exact amount of time required for the move, here is some additional information that should give you a general idea of the time required:

• The new facility is approximately 416 miles away from the old facility. The driving time will be about six to seven hours.

• There will be time required for de-racking, packing, loading, unloading, unpacking, and re-racking the equipment, which will likely be about three to five hours at each location.

Q: Will my IP addresses change?

A: No IP address changes are anticipated as a result of the move.

Q: Do I need to do anything to prepare for the migration?

A: In preparation for the migration, we would recommend rebooting your server before Friday, January 14 using your operating system's standard reboot command. This is recommended to make sure that the system boots on its own and does not need attention prior to the migration. This is especially important if your server has not been rebooted in a long time. If you run into any issues that need to be resolved before the migration, please open a ticket.

Q: Should I shut down my server before the migration begins?

A: Yes. We would request that you please completely shutdown your server at least 5 minutes before the move begins (this means that it is completely powered off, not that it is still processing the shutdown). For any servers that are not shutdown in advance, we will attempt to shut them down gracefully, but after a few minutes of waiting, we will have to force them off. It is extremely important to shutdown your server gracefully in advance, as if we have to force the server off, it may cause problems such as file system damage.

Thank you for your continued business. Please contact us with any questions about the move.

Thanked by 2titus lentro
  • @brueggus

Thanks!
    Interesting. I not got this notification (email). Maybe my two small VM has been migrated to their Texas location, because there was a short outage in December. But I not got any other (new) notification or "update" since my latest post in this thread. My VM's working fine, and looks like 'stable' like previously.

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2022

@qps where are you'll moving to?

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@PieHasBeenEaten said:
    @qps where are you'll moving to?

Thanked by 1PieHasBeenEaten
  • temasektechtemasektech Member
    edited January 2022

As Quickpacket already send notice that, their will be migrating all servers in Charlotte, NC to a new data center facility in Ashburn, VA during the month of January. I think Quickpacket will no longer offering NC location

• HxxxHxxx Member
    edited January 2022

@PieHasBeenEaten @temasektech I don't think @qps is moving from NC, that's their main location. Most likely the confusion comes from the wording HostUS used in their notice.
    Nevermind found the notification.

• robtecrobtec Member
    edited March 2022

It been over 30+ hours that HostUS Dallas cPanel servers is down, have submitted tickets and no answers from them, anyone have similar issue as well, it went down around 12 March 2022

• thestigenatorthestigenator Member
    edited March 2022

yup, its down... I didnt realize it was 30 hours.. this is not good. I sent in a trouble ticket.

Last month, when this happened, I noticed, the static HTML sites were loading fine, but anything with MySQL (Wordpress / Forum) were out, now nothing is loading..

I dont know when my last backup on one of the servers is.. it should auto backup, but its not a daily thing.. its low priority sites but still it gets traffic - this is so not usual for HostUS

• robtecrobtec Member
    edited March 2022

@thestigenator said:
    yup, its down... I didnt realize it was 30 hours.. this is not good. I sent in a trouble ticket.

I have submitted a ticket over 24 hours ago and I didn't get a reply yet... not look professional

Which server are you using? I'm on server159 and open my terminal and ping, still not up yet... its bad!!

No announcement saw someone comment on HostUS FB over that issue as well

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider

I ordered an ASN in December from HostUS and I still have not gotten it. I get invoice overdue complaints from them.

Weird.

Thanked by 2ChristianDSH sgno1
  • Please no no, do not involucrated @HostUS, we love you...

• ChristianDSHChristianDSH Member, Host Rep

I guess i should start looking out for replacement ip subnets if something bad happens.

• @AlexanderM Hope the host can clarify.

• @AlexanderM @HostUS Please answer us ASAP and have submitted 3 tickets and no answer for more than 24+ hours!!

• @robtec said:
    @AlexanderM @HostUS Please answer us ASAP and have submitted 3 tickets and no answer for more than 24+ hours!!

One ticket would have been enough probably.

It's the 2nd or 3rd time HostUS is having major problems within the last year. This one here surprises me again because they used to be very stable for over five years before.

• Seems Alexander fired all staff

• It will be nice to send announcements via Twitter / FB so we know they are in progress

Have checked a few IPs that I had in the past with servers movements and now most of them getting timed out.... getting worried now!

• Good news, all are back online... thank god!!

• Have 2 VPS's with them - downtime, no status updates, ignore tickets.

Stay far away. Hard to imagine there is any longevity with this provider. It feels like it ends badly for the users.

• ChristianDSHChristianDSH Member, Host Rep

Did you get any ticket answer from them at all?
    Waiting since march 14 for a ROA Entry, still no response whatsoever.