Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

★ VirMach ★ Black Friday & Cyber Week 2018 ★ RAID 10 SSD ★ OpenVZ & KVM ★ Check inside for offers! - Page 517
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

★ VirMach ★ Black Friday & Cyber Week 2018 ★ RAID 10 SSD ★ OpenVZ & KVM ★ Check inside for offers!

Comments

• So is there a flash sale for the new year?

• @clan said: So is there a flash sale for the new year?

Not for Jan 1st, and probably not for Chinese New Year, but you never know what VirMach is thinking. To be sure you don't miss out just keep checking:

https://virmach.com/special-offers
    and
    https://virmach.com/black-friday-cyber-monday/

--
    Welcome to the crowd waiting for the next VirBot bus.

Thanked by 1imok
  • @VayVayKa said: I have nothing against templates. But what is their advantage, besides the obvious instant installation? After all, a ready-made system on KVM can be obtained from ISO in 10 minutes.

There are people that are coming over from shared hosting. I would think it's a lot less intimidating to use a template, then to install from ISO when your new to the whole VPS game.

I'm a guy that normally loads up netboot.xyz and install whatever I need, so templates are not that big of a deal for me, but the provider has to see it from everyone's point of view.

Thanked by 2VayVayKa yoursunny
  • @clan said:
    So is there a flash sale for the new year?

Let's ask to Macromedia.

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • They say no, flash is dead. And Macromedia too.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • Maybe we should search the rabbit holes and take him some food.

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • Didn't posted here in a long time

• @ben47955 said: Didn't posted here in a long time

Welcome back!

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • Congratulations to @VirMach for coming in at #3 on the top provider poll.

• @virmach has fulfilled all my needs

Thanked by 2randomq storm
  • randomqrandomq Member
    edited January 2022

@imok said:
    @virmach has fulfilled all my needs

Hotttt

Thanked by 2FrankZ storm
  • imokimok Member
    edited January 2022

#NoHomo

• bakagetabakageta Member
    edited January 2022

Looks like I won a boomer host 1gb vps for a year. I've got more VPSs than I feel like dealing with already, any of the regulars here have any use for it?

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • @bakageta said: Looks like I won a boomer host 1gb vps for a year. I've got more VPSs than I feel like dealing with already, any of the regulars here have any use for it?

Yep

• @FrankZ said:

@bakageta said: Looks like I won a boomer host 1gb vps for a year. I've got more VPSs than I feel like dealing with already, any of the regulars here have any use for it?

Yep

All yours. I haven't seen how to claim it yet, but if you have and/or set up an account I'll tell them to activate it on there.

Thanked by 2FrankZ ZA_capetown
  • @FrankZ said:
    Congratulations to @VirMach for coming in at #3 on the top provider poll.

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • @bakageta said: All yours. I haven't seen how to claim it yet, but if you have and/or set up an account I'll tell them to activate it on there.

Thank you, I have PM'ed you my account email with them.
    I will put it to good use :sunglasses:

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

Sorry guys, packaged some prizes at the end of the year as I mentioned and then all hell broke loose. Had to deal with some personal life things, then my main PC broke, then my main monitor broke, then I broke my phone, then I got visitors, and then I got COVID immediately after that.

I've basically been in a cocoon for the past week or two.

I'm printing the labels now and sending off the ones I already packaged a long time ago and should hopefully get back on track now. Japan is being signed tomorrow but the deal's fallen through two other times so we'll see... I've also been able to secure the last bit of hardware we required that I should have mentioned earlier, but it's still on backorder. All the supply chain issues really messed things up for the barebones chassis we require. Thanks for sticking around.

There's a huge pile of finished servers that'll be shipped out once I fully regain my energy (they just need to be packaged.) Got a pretty sweet 2000 LB capacity dolly for them so you know the storage server is finally going out too.

• @VirMach said:
    Sorry guys, packaged some prizes at the end of the year as I mentioned and then all hell broke loose. Had to deal with some personal life things, then my main PC broke, then my main monitor broke, then I broke my phone, then I got visitors, and then I got COVID immediately after that.

I've basically been in a cocoon for the past week or two.

I'm printing the labels now and sending off the ones I already packaged a long time ago and should hopefully get back on track now. Japan is being signed tomorrow but the deal's fallen through two other times so we'll see... I've also been able to secure the last bit of hardware we required that I should have mentioned earlier, but it's still on backorder. All the supply chain issues really messed things up for the barebones chassis we require. Thanks for sticking around.

There's a huge pile of finished servers that'll be shipped out once I fully regain my energy (they just need to be packaged.) Got a pretty sweet 2000 LB capacity dolly for them so you know the storage server is finally going out too.

i'm very happy you back online on this thread :smile:

All of these are 99% ready to go, they just need their labels redone and packed. The pile to the left are the overheat issues that still need to be resolved. These are going to: NYC, LA, SJ, ATL.

There's more servers in the back as well, these are just the immediately ready ones. I also got some power tools now so we can repurpose some chassis for even more of these to go out very quickly, since that's our main bottleneck.

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited January 2022

Covid is no fun, I'm glad to hear that you made it to the other side and are alright.
    We were really worried about you.

EDIT: and breaking your phone really sucks too.

• Aww yeah. Love the smell of new hardware and the sound that the bubble wrap makes.

Thanked by 2FrankZ randomq
  • So do I have the right to use these new machines, $3 a year ^_^

@FrankZ said: EDIT: and breaking your phone really sucks too.

It's actually pretty funny. It was a Z Fold 2 so the inside screen was already doing kind of bad, it gets these micro-cracks, but I dropped it/dropped something on it in a really weird way and it had a single dot of damage. Still worked, everything was fine. I close and open it a few times, no problem, and use it for the rest of the day.

Go to sleep, and the phone is just laying on the nightstand. Wake up, open it, crunch, looks like this, the entire center portion rips off a little as it opens.

You can kind of see it being a lighter black, that part just peeled unfolding it.

• @VirMach said:

You can kind of see it being a lighter black, that part just peeled unfolding it.

WoW!

• That never happened to a Nokia 3310! :wink:

• I see VirMach is early adopter! Ryzen(s), Fold 2. Like to live on that life edge, eh? ;)
    @VirMach remember to remove those USB<->Display Port adapters from that servers, there are still two! Also those looks like 45* angle? Pretty useful I guess.

I really hope you feel better after that shit, no side effects I hope? :)

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited January 2022

@VirMach said: Go to sleep, and the phone is just laying on the nightstand. Wake up, open it, crunch, looks like this, the entire center portion rips off a little as it opens.

I expect that gremlins came visiting while you slept. It has happened to me on occasion.
    You should send off those Ryzens quick before they get at them too.
    F'n gremlins are destructive bastards.

@JabJab said: I see VirMach is early adopter! Ryzen(s), Fold 2. Like to live on that life edge, eh?

Fold 2 ends up being super useful when I'm on-call and can't get to a laptop. Fold 3 has some really good improvements even though it essentially looks the same. Now they just need to make it thinner and make the outside screen wider.

I'd say it's worth it too now. Of course I never buy it at launch/MSRP, I'm all for open box, refurbished, or just used for around $900.

@JabJab said: @VirMach remember to remove those USB<->Display Port adapters from that servers, there are still two! Also those looks like 45* angle? Pretty useful I guess.

Those are just fancy looking flash drives, the handle looks like displayport or HDMI from that angle, I guess I never noticed! Flash drives are being added to the back of all these servers, it's just something I've learned will help out a lot in certain situations instead of trying to get datacenter hands to attach one.

@JabJab said: I really hope you feel better after that shit, no side effects I hope?

Everything's still a little raspy, some fatigue, and easier to go out of breath when picking up and moving heavy objects. But that last part might have just been from being sedentary for a while.

@FrankZ said:

@VirMach said: Go to sleep, and the phone is just laying on the nightstand. Wake up, open it, crunch, looks like this, the entire center portion rips off a little as it opens.

I expect that gremlins came visiting while you slept. It has happened to me on occasion.
    You should send off those Ryzens quick before they get at them too.
    F'n gremlins are destructive bastards.

Doing a little bit of logistics work on those, there's so many things you don't think about like the gremlins, or how to get 30+ large boxes and/or multiple palettes sent efficiently when you don't have a warehouse with a loading dock.

For the smaller locations I wanted to talk to the UPS guy when he comes by to pick up the prizes (we get the same guy) to see how he'd want to do it. I assume it could easily take an hour even if I help him out, with how the building is set up. NYC will definitely be getting a palette though so I'm trying to book that (freight) today as well.

First batch of prizes have been picked up.