Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need Dedicated Server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need Dedicated Server

Ryzen 5 or higher
64 GB DDR4 Ram
Minimum 1TB NVME SSD
10GBPS Port Speed

Currently using terrahost at 80$ per month.

Reason to move, terrahost performance issue.

Comments

• @DataBuster said: Reason to move, terrahost performance issue.

What kind of performance issue are you facing with TerraHost?

• Constant 10gbps needed or burst?

• @allthemtings said:
    Constant 10gbps needed or burst?

Constant

• You better have a big budget for this

Thanked by 2lentro PulsedMedia
  • @DataBuster said:

@allthemtings said:

Constant

What You are doing with constant 10gbs ?

• @DataBuster said:

@allthemtings said:

Constant

no way in hell you have a constant (24/7) 10GBPS Port Speed for $80 per mo

Thanked by 1PulsedMedia
  • U sure its a Ryzen 5 with 10Gbps uplink??? at 80$.... Man, if it is, Can you not cancel and give it to me?

• HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2022

@ankesh said:
    U sure its a Ryzen 5 with 10Gbps uplink??? at 80$.... Man, if it is, Can you not cancel and give it to me?

https://terrahost.no/bestilling?pid=3677

Seems to be this config he's having.

Maybe he got a Special offer.
    May ask @terrahost

• terrahostterrahost Member, Patron Provider

Probably one of our bankrupt deals (BF) :) But you shouldn't have any performance issues. Please get in touch via a ticket so that we can resolve it for you!

• @ankesh said:
    U sure its a Ryzen 5 with 10Gbps uplink??? at 80$.... Man, if it is, Can you not cancel and give it to me?

It is unmetered bandwidth in that plan, not unlimited
    big difference

Thanked by 1PulsedMedia
  • TamerciagaTamerciaga Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2022

@dev_vps said:

@ankesh said:

big difference

So what is the difference? They practically both mean that you can utilize the full 10G up-link.

Pretty good deal btw, wish I could get such cheap transit :smile:

Thanked by 2ankesh PulsedMedia
  • @Tamerciaga said:

@dev_vps said:

@ankesh said:

big difference

So what is the difference? They practically both mean that you can utilize the full 10G up-link.

data link shared vs dedicated
    one is subject to fair usage, other one is not

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited January 2022

@Tamerciaga said:

@dev_vps said:

@ankesh said:

big difference

I understand , no one likes to read Terms and Conditions. Why to waste time when we can assume things or get spoon fed from others.

So, let me spell it for you.
    Terms Page
    https://terrahost.no/avtalebetingelser

Read this carefully TWICE for better understanding
    “ Servers with an unmetered plan are subject to our Fair Usage Policy. The ports are shared with other customers (3.2:1 ratio) and normal usage is expected. Your use should not cause problems for other customers or infrastructure. Usage beyond 20% (2Gbps) continuous use of the port's capacity on 10Gbit is considered overusage and you may be asked to upgrade to a dedicated port.”

So, effectively 10 Gb unlimited can not exceed 2 Gb constant rate.

For dedicated 10 Gb port, there is no such limitations.

I hope, things are clear now.

• painfreepcpainfreepc Member
    edited January 2022

unmetered - still will be a cap, example "Unmetered 250Mbps bandwidth"
    and that example may not be 24/7
    and/or times full port speed is not possible,

unlimited bandwidth is just a marketing gimmick.

• @dev_vps said:

@Tamerciaga said:

@dev_vps said:

@ankesh said:

big difference

I understand , no one likes to read Terms and Conditions. Why to waste time when we can assume things or get spoon fed from others.

Terms Page
    https://terrahost.no/avtalebetingelser

Read this carefully TWICE for better understanding
    “ Servers with an unmetered plan are subject to our Fair Usage Policy. The ports are shared with other customers (3.2:1 ratio) and normal usage is expected. Your use should not cause problems for other customers or infrastructure. Usage beyond 20% (2Gbps) continuous use of the port's capacity on 10Gbit is considered overusage and you may be asked to upgrade to a dedicated port.”

So, effectively 10 Gb unlimited can not exceed 2 Gb constant rate.

For dedicated 10 Gb port, there is no such limitations.

I hope, things are clear now.

I think most of the users are clear about that. Most providers provide Burstable bandwidth only because Network capacity is limited.

I know one such case which I remembered from your comment, a DC in Indore,India has a peering from DE-CIX(10Gbps) and 4 other ISPs(10Gbps) making a total of 50Gbps network capacity. Now, if it sells servers using Fixed/Dedicated bandwidth, there will be only 50 1Gbps uplinks. To sell more, he has to use Burstable/shared bandwidth method to fulfill every customer's need.

FUP(Fair Usage policy) is used by all companies but that dosen't pose a problem. The problem is only when company's network is congested and they need to free up the congestion for other users.

@dev_vps There is no need to be rude, let's respect each other and maybe you will learn something (I tagged @painfreepc @ankesh too because they seem to agree with your post). But here is a free lesson:
    First of all, the term "unlimited" is technically not possible here, it was invented by the marketing people of big boys to attract more customers (especially those without a technical background). Later on smaller/summer hosts started using this term to profit from this too, or they could just be incompetent, you pick one.

Now regarding the "unmetered", according to the Cambridge Dictionary it means: "an unmetered internet service is one that you can use as much as you want". So if a hosts advertises with 10G Unmetered, it means you will get a 10G port/uplink with unmetered bandwidth, unless they specify that there is something like a FUP (Fair Use Policy). Let's take Terrahost for example (no offense), when I clicked their URL it only stated 10G Unmetered. The fact that they hide FUP for bandwidth it in their Terms of Service is misleading according to my books, they could simply state 10G Unmetered (FUP)/*, or just a metered 10G up-link with X amount of traffic.

Whether the "data link" (as you say) is shared or dedicated, is also something that a provider should state. With 10G Unmetered I assume; unmetered traffic on a dedicated 10G up-link, thus unshared.

About the term FUP, it's a common trick to offer something that looks like a Lamborghini but performs like a Volkswagen, you will get an Aventador but you can only drive 300 kph in the weekends. Most of the time FUP is vague (on purpose), so they can sell you something that looks better than it actually is.

If you look at some of the dedicated server providers offering unmetered servers, you will see what I mean:
    https://www.worldstream.com/en/dedicated-servers/configure/45?chassis=34&cpu=57&memory=16&location=1&uplink=16&ddosShield=3&storage=12&remoteFeature=1
    https://www.datapacket.com/pricing
    https://www.clouvider.com/unmetered-dedicated-servers/
    https://www.1gservers.com/10g-unmetered-dedicated-servers.html

Or, you can ignore all that I wrote above and just ask any network engineer.

Thanked by 2Clouvider ankesh
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited January 2022

@dev_vps said:
    ["I'm smart and you are clueless" blabla]

'Unmetered' on this planet means "no measurements taken" - so, based on what basis would @terrahost determine what speed and/or traffic volume was/is used?

And 'unlimited' means "no limits" - which necessarily is false when applied to something with inherent limits.

@Tamerciaga is right. In the given context (hosting/colo) both terms are but marketing BS that pretty much always comes with more or less hidden FUP or suchlike where they offer their private bent-to-match "definition" of unlimited or unmetered.

But hey, it works! In fact, there are even idiots who proudly point others to FUP, etc.
    The problem of course being that those terms have a clear definition and it's utterly meaningless what this or that providers marketing department tries to redefine.

That said, a Ryzen dedi with (even "only") 2 Gb/s and almost 3/4 of a PB of traffic for €80 (or was it $$?) is a great deal anyway, especially from a provider who, like terrahost, has quite nice connectivity. And if terrahost asks customers needing even more traffic and/or a full 10 Gb/s port that's sensible and totally justified IMO.

P.S. Meanwhile terrahost honoured my friend's HS deal although it must be painful for them. Kudos, @terrahost!

Thanked by 2Tamerciaga cadddr
  • I am glad you took the bait.
    👍🏼👍🏼

• @Tamerciaga said:
    @dev_vps There is no need to be rude, let's respect each other and maybe you will learn something (I tagged @painfreepc @ankesh too because they seem to agree with your post). But here is a free lesson:
    First of all, the term "unlimited" is technically not possible here, it was invented by the marketing people of big boys to attract more customers (especially those without a technical background). Later on smaller/summer hosts started using this term to profit from this too, or they could just be incompetent, you pick one.

Now regarding the "unmetered", according to the Cambridge Dictionary it means: "an unmetered internet service is one that you can use as much as you want". So if a hosts advertises with 10G Unmetered, it means you will get a 10G port/uplink with unmetered bandwidth, unless they specify that there is something like a FUP (Fair Use Policy). Let's take Terrahost for example (no offense), when I clicked their URL it only stated 10G Unmetered. The fact that they hide FUP for bandwidth it in their Terms of Service is misleading according to my books, they could simply state 10G Unmetered (FUP)/*, or just a metered 10G up-link with X amount of traffic.

Whether the "data link" (as you say) is shared or dedicated, is also something that a provider should state. With 10G Unmetered I assume; unmetered traffic on a dedicated 10G up-link, thus unshared.

About the term FUP, it's a common trick to offer something that looks like a Lamborghini but performs like a Volkswagen, you will get an Aventador but you can only drive 300 kph in the weekends. Most of the time FUP is vague (on purpose), so they can sell you something that looks better than it actually is.

If you look at some of the dedicated server providers offering unmetered servers, you will see what I mean:
    https://www.worldstream.com/en/dedicated-servers/configure/45?chassis=34&cpu=57&memory=16&location=1&uplink=16&ddosShield=3&storage=12&remoteFeature=1
    https://www.datapacket.com/pricing
    https://www.clouvider.com/unmetered-dedicated-servers/
    https://www.1gservers.com/10g-unmetered-dedicated-servers.html

Or, you can ignore all that I wrote above and just ask any network engineer.

First of all, my apologies if my response was taken as rude. That was not my intention. Again, my apologies.

Any services are driven by contract terms rather than meaning in English dictionary.

So, unmetered is driven by terms. If terms say that you can use only 10% of max data pipe (just an example), then that is the limit.

Fair Usage clause is the driving factor, in “unmetered” cases.

Dedicated data port may have peak hour conditions.

• Unmetered simply means no extra charges based on data used. That’s all. Beyond that it is driven by terms and conditions. (Legal Contract Terms for services)

Unmetered is shared data port in almost all cases.
    Dedicated port is not shared, but can have limiting usage conditions during peak hours (in most cases for upload data rate)

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited January 2022

PMS detected.

OP took the bait. lol

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@dev_vps said:
    Any services are driven by contract terms rather than meaning in English dictionary.

And those contract terms - as well as contracts - are in which language?

In fact, legal terms are refinements of normal language with a more tightly limited meaning.
    Plus, where and when needed, contracts contain a definition section in which any terms not used in their standard meaning (typically more precise) are clearly defined.

Oh and btw, not everything in FUP, TOS, or generally contracts is binding and valid. That's why there is a salvatoric clause in most contracts in case some part of a contract isn't law-conforming.

So, stop spreading your nonsense and being rude to others.

• Unmetered can have variant meaning in English dictionary and in contract service agreement.

And , yes both are written in the English language.

Mobile data plans, in the US, have multiple “unlimited data plans” by the same carrier for example depending on the mobile service plan.

• @deank said:
    PMS detected.

OP took the bait. lol

Not OP, someone else took the bait.

edited January 2022

@dev_vps said:
    I am glad you took the bait.
    👍🏼👍🏼

You could also just say "thank you for the free knowledge I have gained".

@dev_vps said:
    Unmetered is shared data port in almost all cases.

Read my post again and take a look at my examples. Here are some more bonus examples for you:
    https://www.leaseweb.com/dedicated-server/configure/31028#network-container
    https://customer.i3d.net/configure/2431949/#network

These can be fitted with dedicated unmetered ports, but I guess you know better than Leaseweb, i3D, etc.

Now back to the OP @DataBuster , how much traffic do you need on a 10G port?

Thanked by 1jsg
    edited January 2022

OP, enjoy the downward spiral of PMS. It is you who took the bait.

Heh.

• Always tickles me when I see the words Unlimited/Unmeterd blah blah ...... It's just all fanciful tosh.

• @Tamerciaga said:

@dev_vps said:
    I am glad you took the bait.
    👍🏼👍🏼

You could also just say "thank you for the free knowledge I have gained".

That statement was not addressed for you, it was for someone else.

edited January 2022

Yeah, never gets old.

@OsirissBlack said:
    Always tickles me when I see the words Unlimited/Unmeterd blah blah ...... It's just all fanciful tosh.