Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you use your VPS for? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you use your VPS for?

Comments

• @skorous said:

@rcy026 said: I have a Jitsi for meetings with friends and family.

Curious about what specs you're using for that and if you followed a how-to, which one?

1 CPU, 2GB, 20GB SSD with unlimited transfer.
    No how-to, but it's a 5 minute install just following the documentation on the website.

Thanked by 1skorous
  • DediRockDediRock Member, Patron Provider

Hosting all of our companies data.

• @AtlasCloud said: Hosting all of our companies data.

Hosting company data? On a LowEndVPS?

You, Sir, have a pair of gigantic balls.

• one for Gotify + BitWarden(VaultWarden)

another for AnonAddy

2 others for Reddit bots.

another for some control panels

another for a small website.

I have 3 for idling atm until I finish working on things to put on them.

• I used to have a lot more VPS, a lot of the stuff is now hosted on my home servers (either at my place or my parents')

4x Oracle Cloud
    1 for Cloudron with Vaultwarden and not sure what the second app will be
    1 for Netmaker relay server
    1 for Nebula lighthouse
    1 with Yacht with nothing on it yet

1x Google Cloud which will most likely be used as a ssh jump host.
    2x 2TB from HostHatch for backups
    1x UltraVPS promo which will be cancelled soon, it hosts my first Yunohost instance I set up when I got into selfhosting
    1x gullo $1 NAT in NY as a relay for Nebula
    1x WebHorizon NAT in NY as a backup for gullo's.
    1x VirMach that I'm not sure what I'm gonna use it for.

• Mailcow
    Seatable
    Adguard
    Bastion host
    Wireguard
    Smokeping
    Trying out new apps on r/selfhosted

• @Galeej said:
    Mailcow
    Seatable
    Adguard
    Bastion host
    Wireguard
    Smokeping

What do you use for BastionHost?

• GaleejGaleej Member
    edited December 2021

Hosthatch SG server that I got during sale with 8GB ram, setup nginx gateway adn tailscale connecting all my other VPS-es with modsecurity. so any communication from public net happens via private tailscale IP and have restricted only to cloudflare IPs.

Edit: I use this host to SSH into any other host as well.. all my other VPS-es allow SSH traffic only from this particular IP and one other I use as backup in case HH goes down.

• @Galeej said:
    Mailcow
    Seatable
    Adguard
    Bastion host
    Wireguard
    Smokeping

Forgot to mention , Matrix server and Filerun

• This thread is awesome, now i have purpose with my idle vps.

Thanked by 1themew
  • @Galeej said: have restricted only to cloudflare IPs.

You mean your nginx? I run a setup like this, but with tailscale only. I will probably replace it with Netmaker soon.

• @Ouji said:

@Galeej said: have restricted only to cloudflare IPs.

You mean your nginx? I run a setup like this, but with tailscale only. I will probably replace it with Netmaker soon.

I actually run a SWAG container with some python script to disable default docker firewall behavior. So only cloudflare IPs are allowed in SWAG and UFW.. what's the difference in using Tailscale vs Netmaker?

• @Galeej said: I actually run a SWAG container with some python script to disable default docker firewall behavior. So only cloudflare IPs are allowed in SWAG and UFW.. what's the difference in using Tailscale vs Netmaker?

Netmaker is fully open source and uses kernel Wireguard, which is faster and more performant. It also doesn't require a Google, Microsoft or GitHub account.

I'm still on the process of setting it up and I will see how it goes. Nebula is another option for it, but not based on Wireguard.

What script are you using to avoid docker messing with your firewall? Right now I'm using this: https://github.com/chaifeng/ufw-docker

Thanked by 1einverne
  • @Ouji said:

@Galeej said: I actually run a SWAG container with some python script to disable default docker firewall behavior. So only cloudflare IPs are allowed in SWAG and UFW.. what's the difference in using Tailscale vs Netmaker?

Netmaker is fully open source and uses kernel Wireguard, which is faster and more performant. It also doesn't require a Google, Microsoft or GitHub account.

I'm still on the process of setting it up and I will see how it goes. Nebula is another option for it, but not based on Wireguard.

What script are you using to avoid docker messing with your firewall? Right now I'm using this: https://github.com/chaifeng/ufw-docker

Using this

Thanked by 1Ouji
  • some providers provide large bandwidth. how to spend it?

• @Galeej said: Hosthatch SG server that I got during sale with 8GB ram, setup nginx gateway adn tailscale connecting all my other VPS-es with modsecurity.

Nice setup.

So basically everything goes CF -> HH SG --tailscale--> VPS where the app is hosted?

Doesn't adding that many hops add some latency? Do you do some heavy caching on the HH VPS?

• mcgreemcgree Member
    edited December 2021

There are two used as proxies, one for my website, and some MQTT servers for my IOT toys, most of which are idle.

I don't think you should plan to scan 103.143.76.160, it's my honeypot.

If you scan it, you will not be able to access my other servers.

• @pbx said:

@Galeej said: Hosthatch SG server that I got during sale with 8GB ram, setup nginx gateway adn tailscale connecting all my other VPS-es with modsecurity.

Nice setup.

So basically everything goes CF -> HH SG --tailscale--> VPS where the app is hosted?

Doesn't adding that many hops add some latency? Do you do some heavy caching on the HH VPS?

I plan in a way that critical apps are within the same region keeping low latency, anything non-critical will have some latency and I'm fine with it.

• YABS then idle for 364 days.

Thanked by 2yoursunny kkrajk
  • @Galeej said: anything non-critical will have some latency and I'm fine with it.

Ok thanks. But everything goes through your SG nginx? Do you have a failover in case @hosthatch 's node goes down?

• @ElliotJ said:
    YABS then idle for 364 days.

how to be sure cpu, i/o and network isnt being stolen in next 364 days?

• @Nekki said:

@AtlasCloud said: Hosting all of our companies data.

Oh, size doesn't matter, but material does. "What is the floor in your office made of, so that the weight of your balls doesn't crush it?"

Thanked by 2Nekki VayVayKa
  • Vpn mostly. My isp has some shit route to certain HE routers in US west so I have to set up always on split tunnel to get around this.

• Idling. I use VPS for idling like champs.

• @pbx said:

@Galeej said: anything non-critical will have some latency and I'm fine with it.

Ok thanks. But everything goes through your SG nginx? Do you have a failover in case @hosthatch 's node goes down?

Yeah have one reserved instance from AWS just in case things go bad.

Thanked by 1pbx
  • @Galeej interesting setup!

• @Galeej said: Using this

This is an awesome project, I usually have no issues with ufw-docker itself as my IPs never change, but this seems an easier approach and it's easier to understand, usually my containers only receive traffic, so that's nice. I appreciate.

• @Nekki said:

@AtlasCloud said: Hosting all of our companies data.

You're saying none of the providers here are good enough to host a live site?

• @trycatchthis said: You're saying none of the providers here are good enough to host a live site?

I don't believe I mentioned a 'live site'. Neither did the post I replied to.

The post I replied to mentioned 'all our companies data'. That could be interpreted in many ways, but took it to mean financial records, HR information, possibly personal data. I personally would not host that on a LowEndVPS.

• @Nekki said:

@trycatchthis said: You're saying none of the providers here are good enough to host a live site?

I don't believe I mentioned a 'live site'. Neither did the post I replied to.

The post I replied to mentioned 'all our companies data'. That could be interpreted in many ways, but took it to mean financial records, HR information, possibly personal data. I personally would not host that on a LowEndVPS.

There is plenty of stuff you can put on a LET provider. Things like financial information probably not.