Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you use your VPS for? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you use your VPS for?

Comments

• Why is there no anyone hosting VPS for passive incoming?

• @cobrah said:
    Why is there no anyone hosting VPS for passive incoming?

What Can you do? Mine crypto?

• @cobrah said:
    Why is there no anyone hosting VPS for passive incoming?

Minning crypto in vps not profit

• zhizhi Member
    edited December 2021

chī huī、tàn zhēn :p

• VPN (tinc)
    Monitoring edge
    Development/testing Web apps
    ...many other uses as well

• Got two VPS:
    1. Contabo: Mailserver (mailcow)
    2. Oracle Free Tier: Wireguard Server (full tunnel) + Alt. CA + Alt. DNS + Nginx Load Balancer

Got 8 more VMs, but these are installed on my home server built for $800 (Xeon E5-2660v2 / 48GB / 1TB SSD RAID10 / 2TB HDD RAID1 / ESXi 6.7, 1Gbit NAT):
    1. Bitwarden Server
    2. Nextcloud Server
    3. Main DNS
    4. Main CA
    5. Web Application Server (Windows)
    6. Automation Server (PHP scripts 24/7)
    7. Connector - tunnel between mine and my friend's VPN
    8. Only set up - for hosting

Exclusively for LET -> going to create a real LowEnd hosting on high-performance servers.

Thanked by 2Ympker lifioting
  • frogfrog Barred
    edited December 2021

Webhosting + bots.

This Black Friday I got

• 2x small VPS with free DirectAdmin (€40/year)
    • VPS (2x dedicated CPU (Gold 6140), 8GB DDR4, 80GB MVMe, DDoS) for my Python projects (€65/year).
    • 1 TB free backup. (€1.25 Setup)

All inside the EU, so I can get GDPR compliant.

• currently 14 VPSes

all are used for YABS

some for Plex and/or production but still YABS as secondary function.

YABS.

• @cybertech said:
    currently 14 VPSes

all are used for YABS

some for Plex and/or production but still YABS as secondary function.

YABS.

Have you tried running YABS? I hear its a hoot!

Thanked by 1cybertech
  • I have so many plans but none of them materialize due to work or my laziness!

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • @plumberg said:
    I have so many plans but none of them materialize due to work or my laziness!

Mind sharing some?

• @TheBrokenBee said:

@plumberg said:
    I have so many plans but none of them materialize due to work or my laziness!

Mind sharing some?

Most of them are trying to self host content... as long as there are other alternatives that work, I may not get the urgency...

• I have 24 VPSes. All of them are used to detect port scans from malware-infected hosts.

Thanked by 2Daniel15 mycosys
  • @frog said: VPS (2x dedicated CPU (Gold 6140), 8GB DDR4, 80GB MVMe, DDoS) for my Python projects (€65/year).

Which host is this with?

• @Daniel15 said:

@frog said: VPS (2x dedicated CPU (Gold 6140), 8GB DDR4, 80GB MVMe, DDoS) for my Python projects (€65/year).

Which host is this with?

Seems like PHP-Friends Schnupperspecial 2021

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited December 2021
    • ArchiveTeam Warrior: ArchiveTeam runs a bunch of archival projects archiving stuff all over the web. For example, they archived Geocities when it was shutting down, and more recently they archived a big chunk of Yahoo Answers. The Warrior project lets you help them out by providing bandwidth. You can choose which project to work on, or just work on their current focus (if some major site is going to shut down soon, they generally focus everyone on archiving its contents). It's a Docker container that's pretty easy to set up.
    • Huginn: Automation, kinda like IFTTT but with a UI that's not as good. For example, you can use it to scrape a HTML page and get an email or push notification whenever something changes. Can be useful for monitoring out-of-stock items.
    • Web hosting. Configure Nginx yourself for something lightweight. Some hosts provide DirectAdmin licenses for free - install DirectAdmin and offer hosting to your friends and family.
    • Personal VPN
    • Plex: I use it with my own FLAC CD rips. Plexamp is quite nice
    • Sentry: Tracks errors and performance of your apps
    • Bitwarden
    • Seafile
    • Mailcow: Email
    • FreshRSS: RSS feed reader. RIP Google Reader
    • Kill the Newsletter: Converts email newsletters into RSS feeds
    • TheLounge: web based IRC client. Keeps you connected while you're away (like a bouncer). Can send push notifications to your phone for new messages or when you're mentioned.
    • Jenkins: build server for code. Get a good CI (Continuous Integration) system running for your projects.

ArchiveTeam Warrior is a great use for idling VPSes.

• @Daniel15 said:

@frog said: VPS (2x dedicated CPU (Gold 6140), 8GB DDR4, 80GB MVMe, DDoS) for my Python projects (€65/year).

Which host is this with?

https://php-friends.de/vserver-ssd/vserver-schnupperspecial-2021-nvme

• Endless YAB'ing on cron.

Thanked by 1morreke
  • vpn
    emby sever
    air2 wireless download

• minio, nextcloud, privatebin, gitea, wp blog, image hosting. etc... As a developer, I will also use it to experiment with the code :D Of cource , include vpn

• Is nextcloud free?

Also what do you use minio for?

• @trycatchthis said:
    Is nextcloud free?

Nextcloud is free

Minio for object storage

• @blackeye said:

@trycatchthis said:
    Is nextcloud free?

Nextcloud is free

Minio for object storage

Will minio distribute an object across a cluster of VPSs?

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@frog said:
    Webhosting + bots.

This Black Friday I got

• 2x small VPS with free DirectAdmin (€40/year)
    • VPS (2x dedicated CPU (Gold 6140), 8GB DDR4, 80GB MVMe, DDoS) for my Python projects (€65/year).
    • 1 TB free backup. (€1.25 Setup)

All inside the EU, so I can get GDPR compliant.

Just beware that some big corporate companies are not GDPR compliant, based on fact that they do use 3rd party company in India to outsource the helpdesk and think it’s ok to share customers data outside of UK/EU.

Thanked by 1frog
  • KermEdKermEd Member
    edited December 2021

I have 4x linux we are using for multiplayer game development as dev boxes (virmach)

I have 3x windows, at a more reliable provider, hosting some of our more advanced BaaS for some of our games, experiences and portals (NFO)

And another 2 or 3 mixed ones sitting idle.

I suspect I have a dozen or so other ones I'm no longer monitoring (hostodo, gullo and such)

Oh and some giant 64GB from OVH I am just waiting to expire. I think there's 4 months left on that one.

• @Daniel15 said:

Judging by the list you are still reading a huge amount of info, participate here in discussions a lot.... Can you teach me please how do you find time for all this and the most important thing is how you make money to rent all if this servers :-)

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited December 2021

@jokotan said: Can you teach me please how do you find time for all this

I wonder the same thing 🤣

I don't have nearly enough free time as I used to when I was younger - A lot of stuff I have set up on my VPSes is from many years ago. I've got a VPS with BuyVM that I've had for close to 10 years now (if you include the old OpenVZ I used before the transition to KVM). I'm going to migrate to a different provider eventually but I'm kinda scared to find out how many places I've hard-coded the IP of that VPS.

@jokotan said: the most important thing is how you make money to rent all if this servers :-)

This is the flip side to "I don't have nearly enough free time as I used to". I work at a big tech company, so I've got some money to spare for things like this :smile:

plus I have a small side income from one of my sites (it merged into a much larger site and they pay me a license fee every month to use my code). My budget for "servers and other internet stuff" comes from that.

I'm planning to cancel my most expensive one eventually (BuyVM $15/month) to save a bit of money

• idling and switching ip now and then because i am from the biggest intranet in the world.

shuhhhhhh, admin is coming

• Allow easy testing and breaking things...

Setting up an LXC VPS takes 5 seconds.. Install Bare metal Dedicated server 10 min

• @jokotan said:

@Daniel15 said:

Judging by the list you are still reading a huge amount of info, participate here in discussions a lot.... Can you teach me please how do you find time for all this and the most important thing is how you make money to rent all if this servers :-)

Selling plasma is another way to make money. Though it may be frowned upon by some. Including united federation