Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SolusVM 2.0
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SolusVM 2.0

joerijoeri Member, Host Rep, LIR
edited November 2021 in General

I just received the following mail from SolusVM. About SolusVM 2.0

Has the same design as solus.io as far as I can see on the roadmap:

How can we improve current and future versions of solus?

Comments

• LowHostingLowHosting Member, Host Rep

Wow, it looks like Solus.io ... maybe they are merging projects?

• For me, @SolusVM will EOL SolusVM, to force migrate customer to SolusIO.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2021

@LowHosting said:

Licence conditions/pricing are staying the same - so my view is they're taking the good parts of solus.io to solusvm, and killing solus.io.

Good move IMO. Solus.io was DOA due to missing features and higher pricing. Not sure if Phill is still on board at plesk or not though.

Thanked by 1DewlanceVPS
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2021

I was going to pull the trigger on using solus.io but it never felt like a finished product. This looks like it's next iteration. I'm down. If they can get through that backlog every provider here will be trying to compete with DO, Vultr, etc. You get a cloud, you get a cloud, everyone gets a cloud.

Remote NFS storage will be the thing everyone wants and then complains about later ("I can't write 4000MB in a quarter of a second, how will I ever successfully idle this server!?").

Thanked by 2Lee emgh
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Looks promising.

Viva la $7!

• TejyTejy Member
    edited November 2021

@jackb said:

@LowHosting said:

Licence conditions/pricing are staying the same - so my view is they're taking the good parts of solus.io to solusvm, and killing solus.io.

Good move IMO. Solus.io was DOA due to missing features and higher pricing. Not sure if Phill is still on board at plesk or not though.

Where this information is located? There is no mention of SolusVM 2.0 in their official website.
    Edit: here https://solusvm.com/roadmap/

@Tejy said:
    Where this information is located? There is no mention of SolusVM 2.0 in their official website.

Yup, that's it.

• LowHostingLowHosting Member, Host Rep

@jackb said:

@LowHosting said:

I think it too!

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@jackb said:

@LowHosting said:

Jack, it's owned by Oakley man.

That pricing is going right up once they have everyone moved over.

Francisco

edited November 2021

@Francisco said:
    Jack, it's owned by Oakley man.

That pricing is going right up once they have everyone moved over.

Francisco

Definitely a risk we've been thinking about. At the same time though, they've been playing with solus.io pricing and it looks to me like they've realised solusvm is in a good place right now pricing / competition wise, and that the existing solusvm customers aren't interested in something significantly more expensive, like solus.io was.

We've got the capability to roll our own, but have never invested the time just down to solusvm being cost effective and largely covers what we need. If the pricing changes significantly, so will our position on rolling our own, assuming there's not any new competition by then (e.g. fleio kvm without openstack might be a candidate) :smile:

• I can't understand how a millionaire company can't hire a UI/UX guy a deliver a great product... and not to mention the API.

What a waste.

• Snake oil until actual release.

• @imok said:
    I can't understand how a millionaire company can't hire a UI/UX guy a deliver a great product... and not to mention the API.

What a waste.

They can be annoying to work with until you find the right person.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

we heard them before, unfortunately they promised the v2.0 a couple years back.

• joerijoeri Member, Host Rep, LIR
    edited September 2022

Sad to see there are no more progressions or updates.
    https://www.solus.io/blog/

The last update on their Trello roadmap is 28 Oct 2021:
    https://trello.com/b/bizBnbE9/solusio-roadmap

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@joeri said:

At this point you should just try out Virtfusion if you want a newer, modern, properly maintained and constantly added features panel.

• EthernetServersEthernetServers Member, Patron Provider

@MikeA said:

@joeri said:

At this point you should just try out Virtfusion if you want a newer, modern, properly maintained and constantly added features panel.

Certainly looks decent.

I respect the fact they only support KVM and aren't trying to conquer the whole market like SolusVM, Virtualizor with OpenVZ, KVM, Xen, etc, even though I certainly wouldn't mind OpenVZ support.

• +1 for virtfusion!

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@EthernetServers said:
    Certainly looks decent.

I respect the fact they only support KVM and aren't trying to conquer the whole market like SolusVM, Virtualizor with OpenVZ, KVM, Xen, etc, even though I certainly wouldn't mind OpenVZ support.

Virtfusion is created by Phill, who originally created SolusVM. KVM is the only focus at least for the near future.

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

VirtFusion looks great, the only reason we're not using it at this point is because I don't want the hassle of migrating to it or managing two different setups for customers.

I tested it out on a spare server for a bit and really liked it. It's a bit different of a setup and different process to do common things, but wasn't bad, just different. The end-user UI and feel was pretty solid, which really I can live with a shitty / cluttered admin area as well as the end-user experience is solid. That's probably why I've stuck with Virtualizor, since it's a pretty decent end-user experience.

• EthernetServersEthernetServers Member, Patron Provider

@MikeA said:

@EthernetServers said:
    Certainly looks decent.

Virtfusion is created by Phill, who originally created SolusVM. KVM is the only focus at least for the near future.

Well aware of that :) Had a chat with Phill a couple months back, great guy.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@Tejy said:

@jackb said:

@LowHosting said:

Haha, the new release date is:

SolusVM 2.0 will be released during 2022

• lonealonea Member, Host Rep

Why are they even keeping this "Solus" name, just pick a new name and be done with this 2.0 BS.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@lonea said: Why are they even keeping this "Solus" name

Probably for brand recognition?

• HostXNowHostXNow Member
    edited September 2022

I've been using solus.io and was using a trial. solus.io works great! The control panel is better than SolusVM, IMO.

Also, in solus.io, you can now go to licensing and choose between solus.io pricing or SolusVM 1.0 pricing. I switched it to SolusVM pricing, and all works fine.

Afaik, solus.io is due to be renamed/rebranded to SolusVM 2.0, and the pricing will be the same that was used for SolusVM 1.0.

Yes, after many have upgraded from SolusVM 1.0 to SolusVM 2.0, they will eventually increase the pricing a little (WebPros, after all). Still, it should not be expensive as the licensing model they were trying to push for solus.io. After many complained, they changed it from $5 per core to $2.50 per core. Even $2.50 per core was too much.

I am ok with paying the SolusVM 1.0 pricing.

• jordynegen11jordynegen11 Member
    edited September 2022

@HostXNow said:

I've been using solus.io and was using a trial. solus.io works great! The control panel is better than SolusVM, IMO.

Also, in solus.io, you can now go to licensing and choose between solus.io pricing or SolusVM 1.0 pricing. I switched it to SolusVM pricing, and all works fine.

Afaik, solus.io is due to be renamed/rebranded to SolusVM 2.0, and the pricing will be the same that was used for SolusVM 1.0.

Yes, after many have upgraded from SolusVM 1.0 to SolusVM 2.0, they will eventually increase the pricing a little (WebPros, after all). Still, it should not be expensive as the licensing model they were trying to push for solus.io. After many complained, they changed it from $5 per core to $2.50 per core. Even $2.50 per core was too much.

$2.50 per core is crazy.

• @jordynegen11 said:
    @HostXNow said:

$2.50 per core is crazy.

I agree. But now you can use solus.io with SolusVM 1.0 pricing, i.e. $10 for a slave server with unlimited VMs (KVM).

• lonealonea Member, Host Rep

@Arkas said: Probably for brand recognition?

Shit brand recognition?

• HostMediaHostMedia Member, Patron Provider

We’re going to stick with VMmanager - nice Ui/UX and features being released regularly and pricing not bad for what you get. Our customers enjoy using it, compared to others we have used it’s the biggest bonus for us.

SolusVM 2.0 will certainly have price increases as others mentioned.

• speedypagespeedypage Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2022

We had a very poor experience using SolusIO, constantly ran into random bugs and was lacking a lot of basic functionality to offer good performance (such as drive caching). It was used for a few months and then I discovered VirtFusion while browsing on Discord.

I reached out to Phill via ticket, then Skype in Dec 2021 and from there I'd like to say we had a considerable impact in assisting them test new features as well as which features would be a priority to add to the platform.

Phill has always been directly very helpful with any issues we have encountered (more of our own issues than software issues!) and I would highly recommend it to anyone that is looking for an alternative to the big 2 (SolusVM & Virtualizor).