Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Down - OVH - SBG - Lots and lots of tears. - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Down - OVH - SBG - Lots and lots of tears.

Comments

• Uploaded to the real cloud..

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
  • FalzoFalzo Member

@DataRecovery said:
    A couple more night photos of the OVHcloud fire in Strasbourg:

you can see the part of SBG1 to the right where the fire could not be kept away...

Thanked by 2webcraft that_guy
  • Thanked by 1donko
  • nurexnurex Member

Looks like a long and expensive process. Good luck for them.

• Backup cost time & BW and need testing. It's really costly to have the right setup.> @Chex2 said:

@gapper said:
    I have a server in BHS1 and a backup on BHS2. Could I be affected like this in the future or are those DCs very far away from each other?

I think even if they're 10 miles apart you should have backups with different providers in different locations.

Backup cost time & BW and need testing. It's really costly to have the right setup.

• @jmgcaguicla said: replies are basically content farms and will probably feed LET for a day or two.

You're absolutely right.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@jmgcaguicla said:

@rustelekom said:
    Using water against fire in data-center is not good idea actually.

No fucking shit, who would've known?

On a more serious note, the most sane explanation would be that it simply failed; OVH isn't some two-bit summer host that is blind to the concept of fire suppression.

I personally doubt that OVH has any fire prevention systems or staff at DCs overnight.

Thanked by 1pike
  • S, I guess its time for LowEndFirefighters to go along with the LowEndLawyers and LowEndPoliticians

• LeviLevi Member

Does any lowendlawyer can tell what legal troubles does OVH could face? Probably zero.

• @LTniger said: lowendlawyer

decapitation

• @WebProject said: I personally doubt that OVH has any fire prevention systems or staff at DCs overnight.

Why not? Is OVH pricing so low as to skimp on fire prevention or DC staffing?

• @ltniger - unmanaged service, act of god (unless proved arson), long tos agreed to, most not on multimonth contracts, large financial warchest (so real lawyers have been working with company), international company- wonder how much money they truly have in France to clawback, am sure they have insurance, gov't loans probably have termination/forgiveness clause. All else fails plead covid wrecked us and then this fire.

So, what exposure do you think they have? not much at all

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member

@sdglhm said:

@jmgcaguicla said: replies are basically content farms and will probably feed LET for a day or two.

You're absolutely right.

Man, these guys are daft.
    If you host anything remotely important on a server that helps you earn $$, then the least you can do is ensure that you actually back said data up and have a plan in place for when shit (eventually) hits the fan!

Thanked by 3lentro bulbasaur ariq01
  • There was also someone who said Mom's business woke up to no email and it should have been recovered in an HOUR! People are crazy

Thanked by 1that_guy
  • @WebProject said:
    I personally doubt that OVH has any fire prevention systems or staff at DCs overnight.

To be fair, I can neither prove nor disprove that; but having no fire suppression whatsoever? C'mon

• @jmgcaguicla please cite legitimate source (not let, not twitter) that claims no fire suppression system

• Jason18Jason18 Member
    edited March 2021

The largest disaster is the people are unable to verify where their server was located (SBG1, SBG2 etc..) and whethey they should hope for things to come back up.

The webpanel is down and i'm not even able to get into VPS details to find out location.

• lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

@DataGizmos said: @jmgcaguicla please cite legitimate source (not let, not twitter) that claims no fire suppression system

@jmgcaguicla literally says he has no source. But, OVH does not advertise fire suppression so they might not have any: https://www.ovhcloud.com/en/about-us/infrastructure-software

• jmgcaguiclajmgcaguicla Member
    edited March 2021

@DataGizmos said:
    @jmgcaguicla please cite legitimate source (not let, not twitter) that claims no fire suppression system

What are you smoking? I didn't say they didn't have it, in fact I was doubting @WebProject's reply that he doubts OVH has any since any sane person's assumption would be that they should have some form of it since the company is quite big (and I quote):

@WebProject said:

@DataGizmos Learn to fucking read next time.

edited March 2021

@stevewatson301 said:

@WebProject said: I personally doubt that OVH has any fire prevention systems or staff at DCs overnight.

Why not? Is OVH pricing so low as to skimp on fire prevention or DC staffing?

Looking at pic, the site is small compare to any UK major supermarket, so if they had fire alarms or fire prevention system in place so they control fire much quicker than 5 hours (based on their official news)

Why compare to UK supermarkets? Had experience with fire as customer and took 15-20 mins to evacuate the entire store with more than 100 people inside.

• @jmgcaguicla I will improve my reading comprehension skills since you so politely requested I do so. Any other tips offered in a friendly manner? I know you are a perfect genius, so I wait for your assistance in improving my obvious deficiencies.

Thanked by 2jmgcaguicla lentro
  • FalzoFalzo Member
    edited March 2021

@Jason18 said: The largest disaster is the things that people are unable to verify where their server was located (SBG1, SBG2 etc..) and whethey they should hope for things to come back up.

this is the thing. no matter where your service is located (which ideally you should know anyway instead of now searching for that info) - you should NOT hope for anything at all.

even if your service is in an area where the servers are "only" powered off and without network connection it will take days if not weeks to get them back online.

so you have two choices: either your data is important and you need it back online asap: get to work on setting it up elsewhere from backups/scratch/whatever. or you can wait till it eventually comes back online. then it also does not matter much, if you can't see right now where it has been located. instead be f*cking patient and let _them_ sort things out and prioritize (or setup things elsewhere from your backups).

• @WebProject said: Had experience with fire as customer and took 15-20 mins to evacuate the entire store with more than 100 people inside.

So, servers can walk now? Apples to orages at its best

• Jason18Jason18 Member
    edited March 2021

@Falzo said:

@Jason18 said: The largest disaster is the things that people are unable to verify where their server was located (SBG1, SBG2 etc..) and whethey they should hope for things to come back up.

this is the thing. no matter where your service is located (which ideally you should know anyway instead of now searching for that info) - you should NOT hope for anything at all.

No shit Captain obvious.

Yes, we should known where internally the node was subdivided when it's being sold as generic "SBG". No information on invoices, in mails or anything.

I love these pseudointelligent responses who pretend to absolutely know what are the possible options for given person and what one should do.

• Regardless of what one may think about OVH, still really sad to see such destruction, must have been awful if 115 firemen were on-site, but at least everyone is safe.

Hope they recover soon, SBG was often used in CZ due to lower latency compared to GRA/RBX.

Also depressing to see the rage of entitled ""sysadmins"" without proper backups...

edited March 2021

@serv_ee said:

@WebProject said: Had experience with fire as customer and took 15-20 mins to evacuate the entire store with more than 100 people inside.

So, servers can walk now? Apples to orages at its best

Haha, no just according to OVH official news it took them 2 hours and 7 mins to evacuate the building - slow walking tortoises?

Let see how they do compensate their clients for mess.

• FalzoFalzo Member

@Jason18 said: No shit Captain obvious.

yes. seems this needs to be pointed out because you find it a larger disaster that you can't find the location of your service over the fact the whole thing completely burned down.
    how does it help you in any way to know where you service in SBG was after all?

what decision could you make based upon that? genuinely interested in an answer to that.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

I don't know why the concept is having a backup is so hard to conceive.

Not talking about OVH. They are a bottom barrel host. Just don't have the margin for fancy systems.

It's the end users I am talking about. If data is supposedly important to you, keep at least a copy somewhere else. Even a week old copy will be better than absolutely nothing. Having a backup will also allow you to relocate somewhere else in few hours.

Thanked by 2bulbasaur that_guy
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited March 2021

Status of Strasbourg Datacenter
    SBG1 : Network Room is OK - 4 room destroyed - 8 Rooms OK
    SBG2 : Destroyed
    SBG3 : UPS Down - Check server still in progress
    SBG4 : No physical impact

No restart today for SBG1,SBG3 and SBG4

http://travaux.ovh.net/?do=details&id=49484&;