Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Down - OVH - SBG - Lots and lots of tears. - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Down - OVH - SBG - Lots and lots of tears.

Comments

• @Neoon said: "Me like the most part of clients does not have any disaster recovery plan..."

Just found this on twitter, among the responses to OVH Cloud CEO's tweet about the fire.
    They indeed say they do not have any data recovery plan:
    OVH data recovery plan cloud fire

And this is (supposedly) "a leading platform for collecting national and international news", at least according to google translate.

• @CConner said:

@serv_ee said:

@CConner said:

@webcraft said:
    What can make the building burn as hell? Thought only bare metal inside..

If it gets hot enough, anything will burn.

So they started using the new 11700K in their servers?

10900k is even worse haha. Slightly overclocked it easily consumes 230-240W.

Goes to show you cant "node" 14nm++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ forever.

• valkvalk Member

SBG2 and some SBG1 servers are on the clouds now

• xaocxaoc Member

@valk said:
    SBG2 and some SBG1 servers are on the clouds now

Pray for rain?

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • K4Y5K4Y5 Member

@thedp said:

Reply and tell him, press the Windows Start button and search for Disaster Recovery Plan. If there are no results returned, then it means he doesn't have a Disaster Recovery Plan :joy:

Done. :tongue:

• ShazanShazan Member, Host Rep

@DataRecovery said:
    Is it me, or even despite the fire, this OVH SGB2 datacenter looks like ... just a bunch of containers in Strasbourg? :o

It doesn't look like... it is.

• Actually, did the Wishhosting black Friday Ryzen get burnt down??? Oh shit I'm affected

• @Hetzner_OL In light of this can you maybe shed some light what measures you have in place for such a thing?

Thanked by 2bulbasaur webcraft
  • OBHostOBHost Member, Host Rep

We recently introduce France DDoS protected services hosted in SBG2 for Gaming Users and today its Destroyed.

• Shot2Shot2 Member

Should never have used wooden racks, I say!

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@OBHost said:
    We recently introduce France DDoS protected services hosted in SBG2 for Gaming Users and today its Destroyed.

What a firesale.

• LeviLevi Member

@K4Y5 said:

@thedp said:

Reply and tell him, press the Windows Start button and search for Disaster Recovery Plan. If there are no results returned, then it means he doesn't have a Disaster Recovery Plan :joy:

Done. :tongue:

Here is a reply :D

Hi, I'm on Linux and there is no start button. Please suggest.

Thanked by 1EnginTopcuoglu
  • @K4Y5 said:
    TL;DR Version:
    Always, always and ALWAYS have back-ups in place.

And make sure they are regularly tested. The worst time to find your backups have not been updating properly is when you try to restore something from them.

Not a host myself and this isn't practical for them (at least not at LET prices!) but for my personal stuff (mail server, couple of small web server VMs) I have a small VM for each that daily pulls in the last off-site backup and restores it so I can do a quick check (if the mail server copy is up and has mail from yesterday, my latest backup of that is likely OK, etc.). For backups of simple storage: regular checksums on everything and compare those between "live", backup & off-site backup. Also check older snapshots by checksum & compare the results from the two backups. Have your checks email you on completion even if all is OK (not just if there is an alert) so the absence of an email is a problem (if you are only alerted on an issue occurring, silence doesn't always mean no issue as it could indicate a nasty problem and the checks are broken too).

• time to actually test those DR plans and Backups
    :)

• @gapper said:
    I have a server in BHS1 and a backup on BHS2. Could I be affected like this in the future or are those DCs very far away from each other?

No matter how much you trust a provider you shouldn't have all your eggs (live data and backups) in one basket. Remove as many single points of failure as possible, if you only use one company then they are one of those potential points of failure.

Nothing wrong with having your primary backups with the same provider as your live systems, chances are you can restore faster this way when needed, as long as you have another backup elsewhere too.

• FalzoFalzo Member

I doubt they already know the real cause and even if, that they would rush into such maintenance decisions esp. in totally different locations right now...

Thanked by 1WSCallum
  • jmgcaguiclajmgcaguicla Member
    edited March 2021

Hey, at least no one got hurt. On the bright side, the replies are basically content farms and will probably feed LET for a day or two.

Thanked by 2Makenai that_guy
  • @jmgcaguicla said:

Tell them that even the big three provider's servers are also not redundant in case of a datacenter-ending event :tongue:

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member

@corbpie said:
    Actually, did the Wishhosting black Friday Ryzen get burnt down??? Oh shit I'm affected

Oh fuck! Just realized that too. Luckily, it was just a backup RDP box for me with nothing that I don't already have backed-up.

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member
    edited March 2021

@jmgcaguicla said:
    Hey, at least no one got hurt. On the bright side, the replies are basically content farms and will probably feed LET for a day or two.

Atleast they have AutoBoot™

• rustelekomrustelekom Member, Patron Provider

Bad news. I just interesting why internal firefighting system not used. Using water against fire in data-center is not good idea actually. All equipment would be destroyed by water now. Gas or foam must be used instead...

• jmgcaguiclajmgcaguicla Member
    edited March 2021

@rustelekom said:
    Using water against fire in data-center is not good idea actually.

No fucking shit, who would've known?

On a more serious note, the most sane explanation would be that it simply failed; OVH isn't some two-bit summer host that is blind to the concept of fire suppression.

• edited March 2021

@rustelekom said:
    interesting why internal firefighting system not used ... destroyed by water ... Gas or foam must be used instead...

Exact designs are going to vary by DC, there are many ways to skin this cat and they all have pros & cons (usually the big con of the best options otherwise is cost, the next one being danger to humans, and environmental concerns are a thing too).

They almost certainly automatic gas/foam based systems in the server rooms and other machine rooms that can cope with (contain & extinguish) a small fire starting in one of those areas but cost/safety/other implications are likely to prohibit using that for the whole building. And the fire may not have started in a server room, it'll be a while before investigators will be in a position to release solid information about where it did start and how it spread.

Once you get to the point of calling the external firefighting service all bets are off: they will bring their own kit that they are trained to use and their job is to protect people and surrounding buildings. Avoiding wetting your servers is not high on their priority list, if it is even there at all. Risk of further problems due to their use of water near electrical systems? - the solution there is to pull the plug on the electricity supply (mains and backup generators).

• any refugee deals?

Thanked by 1ariq01
  • A couple more night photos of the OVHcloud fire in Strasbourg:

OVHcloud fire strasbourg

OVH cloud SBG fire

Thanked by 2webcraft that_guy