Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Announcing the BuyVM hardware refresh to AMD Ryzen! - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Announcing the BuyVM hardware refresh to AMD Ryzen!

Comments

• @TimboJones said:

@Autizmo said:

@Francisco said:

@Autizmo said:

@Francisco said:

@smicroz said:
    Ram upgrade? 😁

Theres no changes to the plans.

Francisco

How exactly will CPU cores work? IIRC the CPUs you have now don't support hyper threading but those Ryzen do. Will you disable hyper threading? A dedicated core will just be a dedicated thread? Or, will a dedicated core be a dedicated physical core with two virtual cores?

The current cpus have hyper threading.

Francisco

Ah, well there goes my dream of doubling my virtual cores
    pepe_hands

Pay a little more each month and make that dream a reality.

I might just do that francisco_intensifies

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • @TimboJones said:

@Autizmo said:

@marvel said:

@nik said:
    The M.2 slots on this board are not using PCIe 3.0 x4, that means the NVMes will get heavily throttled. We tried them out as well but came to the conclusion that there are too many downsides of this board.

Yeah that's what I noticed as well, it also limits the types and size of NVMe drives you can connect to this board.

Do you really think it'd make that big of an impact? I mean, PCIe 3.0 2x is still pretty fast.

Who notices 50% performance difference anyways? /s

I only buy m.2's that use all x4 lanes, so it would be a shitty experience for me to go to x2. But if they were coming from SSD or spinners, it's a step up, no doubt. I mean, Budget is right in the name, and this is how to use budget m.2 drives and keep the cost down.

Yeah, good point. The servers use SATA SSDs AFAIK and disk I/O is already pretty good. Actually, I came to BuyVM from OVH and one of the first things I noticed was just how fast disk I/O was.

2X is a huge improvement over SATA and my VM isn't anywhere close to being disk I/O starved so I doubt it'll be much of an issue. At least for me as a customer and my use case.

• AutizmoAutizmo Member
    edited March 2020

@thedp said:

@Nihim said:
    Can someone remind me restock days? 1st and 7th or 1st and 17th?

https://buyvmstock.com

You should setup a news letter that goes out every day on the 1st and the 7th.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Autizmo said: You should setup a news letter that goes out every day on the 1st and the 7th.

It's a neat site, guy must be making a killing in affiliates.

Still delayed on customs :(

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

Autizmo said: You should setup a news letter that goes out every day on the 1st and the 7th.

Francisco

US or Chinese customs? I've seen some sketchy tracking on stuff ordered from China. They might be extra dickish at the moment for stuff shipping to the US.

edited March 2020

TimboJones said: US or Chinese customs? I've seen some sketchy tracking on stuff ordered from China. They might be extra dickish at the moment for stuff shipping to the US.

USA.

I had to fill out some form to mark us as an importer which is...new. I'm guessing the seller marked it as a commercial sale.

It's listed as being in the States, Fedex confirmed as much. Paper work has been sent off, just waiting on CPB at this point. I have 7 heatsinks in hand that I was able to source before World War Z started, so I'll likely go in the morning and rack some nodes up. Was busy doing some shuffling around of users to make the migrations less painful.

Francisco

Thanked by 2sentarum TimboJones
  • @Francisco said:

Francisco

Oof
    Yeah, now's not a great time to be trying to ship stuff. Also, didn't the US/CA boarder close for all non-essential travel? Not sure how that'd affect you getting everything down to LV and setting it up. Also, plains aren't where you want to be right now. Stay safe, Fran.

• @Francisco said:

TimboJones said: US or Chinese customs? I've seen some sketchy tracking on stuff ordered from China. They might be extra dickish at the moment for stuff shipping to the US.

USA.

I had to fill out some form to mark us as an importer which is...new. I'm guessing the seller marked it as a commercial sale.

It's listed as being in the States, Fedex confirmed as much. Paper work has been sent off, just waiting on CPB at this point. I have 7 heatsinks in hand that I was able to source before World War Z started, so I'll likely go in the morning and rack some nodes up. Was busy doing some shuffling around of users to make the migrations less painful.

Francisco

Any chance I could be on one of those nodes tomorrow?

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

Haha I'm first

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

No me

• Any New News :smile:

• Is it possible to boot a VPS from a slab? Basically, how hard is it to put everything on the slab portion? If the VPS is not booted from the volume, then anything I run that uses a lot of space would have to be installed on the volume, which is more work I assume. Is there a recommended way to install things on the volume portion to not exhaust the smaller boot hard drive of a VM?

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Autizmo said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

Oof
    Yeah, now's not a great time to be trying to ship stuff. Also, didn't the US/CA boarder close for all non-essential travel? Not sure how that'd affect you getting everything down to LV and setting it up. Also, plains aren't where you want to be right now. Stay safe, Fran.

Telco and data processing is considered essential and key work.

• @Clouvider said:

@Autizmo said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

Oof

Yeah, that doesn't put you at any less risk, though. I'm more concerned about Fran's well-being than Ryzen.

• @cirrus_cloud said:
    Is it possible to boot a VPS from a slab? Basically, how hard is it to put everything on the slab portion? If the VPS is not booted from the volume, then anything I run that uses a lot of space would have to be installed on the volume, which is more work I assume. Is there a recommended way to install things on the volume portion to not exhaust the smaller boot hard drive of a VM?

I don't see why not. IIRC the Ubuntu installer had an option to install it on the slab. I wouldn't recommend it though. There are much better ways of doing that. You can just have big stuff on other places. For example, you could have /home on the slab but the rest of the OS on local SSD. Not too long ago I moved postgres onto a slab and setup an LVM writeback cache for it so performance is close to what it would be if the whole thing were on SSD.

So yeah, you could do that but I'd really recommend against doing it as performance would suffer greatly.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Autizmo said:

@Clouvider said:

@Autizmo said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

Oof

Yeah, that doesn't put you at any less risk, though. I'm more concerned about Fran's well-being than Ryzen.

I’m sure @Francisco wouldn’t put himself under any undue risks.

• MrRadicMrRadic Patron Provider, Veteran

@Francisco said:

USA.

Francisco

It's for that tax bill at the end of the year

• @Clouvider said:

@Autizmo said:

@Clouvider said:

@Autizmo said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

Oof

I’m sure @Francisco wouldn’t put himself under any undue risks.

Yeah, I know. Still worry about him though.

Autizmo said: Yeah, I know. Still worry about him though.

Ah I'm good, I don't go out to any other places much anyway. The DC only has a couple workers at it and basically no customers come in.

We got all the Ryzen's we can online, Anthony's busy migrating customers over. Working as quick as the infiniband allows!

More Slabs were also added this morning.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

Autizmo said: Yeah, I know. Still worry about him though.

Ah I'm good, I don't go out to any other places much anyway. The DC only has a couple workers at it and basically no customers come in.

We got all the Ryzen's we can online, Anthony's busy migrating customers over. Working as quick as the infiniband allows!

More Slabs were also added this morning.

Francisco

Awesome! You're the real MVP: upgraded servers in the middle of World War Z.
    I need to work out a plan for my migration. There's some stuff I'm gonna need to recompile and whatnot.

• Got my Ryzen 3900X up and running!

Model name:          AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor

Would wish some email notifications beforehand. One of the slab didn't boot up after migration and ended up 8 hours of downtime before I wake up.

• CPU model : AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor
    Number of cores : 1
    CPU frequency : 3792.870 MHz
    Total size of Disk : 9.3 GB (2.8 GB Used)
    Total amount of Mem : 492 MB (120 MB Used)
    Total amount of Swap : 509 MB (14 MB Used)
    System uptime : 0 days, 3 hour 43 min
    Load average : 0.11, 0.15, 0.28
    Arch : x86_64 (64 Bit)

Kernel : 4.9.0-12-amd64

I/O speed(1st run) : 991 MB/s
    I/O speed(2nd run) : 979 MB/s
    I/O speed(3rd run) : 966 MB/s

Average I/O speed : 978.7 MB/s

@dragonfsky said:

CPU model : AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor

Gettin' there :)

You can try oflag=direct and your IO should be even better.

Francisco

• okay, how to get ryzen?

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@sibaper said:
    okay, how to get ryzen?

https://buyvm.net

• which one? there're only E3 KVM

• @sibaper said:
    which one? there're only E3 KVM

Las Vegas at the moment. Other are still E3

Thanked by 1sibaper

@sibaper said:
    which one? there're only E3 KVM

I'll rename the Vegas products later today ;)

Francisco

Thanked by 1sibaper
  • Will NY get the "Ryzen" treatment? :-)

• @dragonfsky said:

CPU model : AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor

Can you do a geekbench 4 test so we can compare with others.