Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Directadmin Feedback Thread! Feedback wanted to help improve the product! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Directadmin Feedback Thread! Feedback wanted to help improve the product!

Comments

• LeeLee Veteran

AnthonySmith said: but really cpanel is not changed that much since I ran it in 2011 in terms of its base.

Agreed, it does make me wonder why other panels appear to be struggling to match the functionality or have we just been completely spoiled by everything cPanel has put in.

Thanked by 12516678313
  • KwoonKwoon Member

I like the icons

• @AnthonySmith said:

Lee said: but dare I say it, the pricing of cPanel now reflects the difference

Yeah I was thinking about this, but really cpanel is not changed that much since I ran it in 2011 in terms of its base.

With that said, i cant wait to see how DA responds and all signs are highly positive.

I can even say that if it i'snt the change from EA3 to EA4 (which is something they should do as it allows auto updates to apache builds) for host that use LS only other changes are just trying to copy with not the same quality what best plugins for their panel do (Backups from Jetbackup and now node.js and ruby selector)

• LeviLevi Member

@Francisco said:

LTniger said: Native remote (S)FTP backup support per client/reseller

You mean like how in cPanel a user can trigger a 'create backup' job and it stores it to their home directory or a remote host?

Francisco

Correct.

• LeviLevi Member

Plot twist: DA devs seeing urgent surge on their panel increase price up to 49 USD per server...

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2019

LTniger said: Plot twist: DA devs seeing urgent surge on their panel increase price up to 49 USD per server...

That would be fine, a lot better than the $250 - $500 or more that cPanel propose.

DA is to cheap already.

• LeviLevi Member

AnthonySmith said: That would be fine

DELETE!

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • bikegremlinbikegremlin Member
    edited July 2019

@Francisco said:

@willie said:
    I'm happy to give some encouragement to DA, since that doesn't cost me anything. But if I'm going to do actual work on someone's product design and they're not paying me, I'd want it to be a FOSS product. Otherwise we're back to square one.

Just pointers on where you think the product is lacking. They have a designer/graphics person, but I figured I'd lend them a hand with a thread to try to get public feedback.

Francisco

Apologies if it's a stupid question/proposal:

Are there any LET hosting providers willing to open a test reseller hosting account with DirectAdmin control panel?

I could do with 10 GB storage (even that is generous, but no idea how many zipped files and tries I'd have to make, how much extra space those operations temporarily take etc.) and three control panel accounts (main and two "customer").

Then try to create user account, migrate a website from cPanel (manually), set up e-mail, integrate it with Cloudflare, set up automated backups of the created accounts, finally make an idiot friendly manual, primarily for my own future reference, but it would be on-line for anyone to use. Something like I did for cPanel and WordPress already:
    https://io.bikegremlin.com/8136/website-migration/

That would be an average non-expert user return info - if I manage it, anyone could.

How long?
    I could start today. No idea how long it would take to figure things out and then write about what did the job.

• LeviLevi Member

@bikegremlin said:

@Francisco said:

@willie said:
    I'm happy to give some encouragement to DA, since that doesn't cost me anything. But if I'm going to do actual work on someone's product design and they're not paying me, I'd want it to be a FOSS product. Otherwise we're back to square one.

Just pointers on where you think the product is lacking. They have a designer/graphics person, but I figured I'd lend them a hand with a thread to try to get public feedback.

Francisco

Are there any LET hosting providers willing to open a test reseller hosting account with DirectAdmin control panel?

I could do with 10 GB storage (even that is generous, but no idea how many zipped files and tries I'd have to make, how much extra space those operations temporarily take etc.) and three control panel accounts (main and two "customer").

Then try to create user account, migrate a website from cPanel (manually), set up e-mail, integrate it with Cloudflare, set up automated backups of the created accounts, finally make an idiot friendly manual, primarily for my own future reference, but it would be on-line for anyone to use. Something like I did for cPanel and WordPress already:

That would be an average non-expert user return info - if I manage it, anyone could.

How long?
    I could start today. No idea how long it would take to figure things out and then write about what did the job.

If you restoring files always count double space. For example:

5 GB backup archive -> 10 GB on server. Just in case. Do not go cheap on storage.

Speaking about how long... Depends on file count. The more you have the more time it will take to untar it.

I have restored ~80 GB backup without a problem in 7 minutes on L5XXX Xeon with rust spinners.

Thanked by 1bikegremlin
  • @LTniger said:

@bikegremlin said:

@Francisco said:

@willie said:

Francisco

How long?

If you restoring files always count double space. For example:

5 GB backup archive -> 10 GB on server. Just in case. Do not go cheap on storage.

Speaking about how long... Depends on file count. The more you have the more time it will take to untar it.

I have restored ~80 GB backup without a problem in 7 minutes on L5XXX Xeon with rust spinners.

Intended to use really small "test sites". To not waste much time, or storage for figuring stuff out.

• The screenshot you share look great Fran. My only main concern is that I'm hoping everything still works when you migrate from cPanel to DA, not sure how it works for other panels since I haven't used anything besides CyberPanel (testing).

• @Francisco said:
    The icons for sure need to be changed to something more fitting (they feel a little Windows 95'ish), but I think it's a push in the right direction. No, the cPanel icons are trademarked to cPanel, using them will get you a C&D.

Well, I do like these new icons.

@bikegremlin said:

@Francisco said:

@willie said:

Francisco

How long?

I do have a small DirectAdmin server for friends and family that are scared of black screen of death (called shell ;]) but they need their presence in web. If you want i can hook You up with reseller account on my server so You could write this tutorial for the community.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

Some fixes on their website:

1. https://license.directadmin.com/contacts.php is not working on their site.
    2. I tried to order a trial license but even their link for trial in their price page, leads me on paying the product.
    Thanked by 1Amitz
  • @Ponury_Typ said:

@Francisco said:
    The icons for sure need to be changed to something more fitting (they feel a little Windows 95'ish), but I think it's a push in the right direction. No, the cPanel icons are trademarked to cPanel, using them will get you a C&D.

Well, I do like these new icons.

@bikegremlin said:

@Francisco said:

@willie said:

Francisco

How long?

I do have a small DirectAdmin server for friends and family that are scared of black screen of death (called shell ;]) but they need their presence in web. If you want i can hook You up with reseller account on my server so You could write this tutorial for the community.

Would be happy to. :)
    Why did they have to do this in the summer... :)

• LeviLevi Member

For all those who afraid of DA CLI, there is a nice plugin for GUI:

https://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=48989

Of-course it needs improvements and active maintenance but it's good and almost replaces CLI.

Thanked by 1kingjj
  • ouqouq Member
    edited July 2019

@jvnadr said:

2. I tried to order a trial license but even their link for trial in their price page, leads me on paying the product.

Their trial licencing is confusing. From memory by trial they really mean money-back policy. So you sign up for a month, then if you don't like it you contact them and they refund you for your recent payment...

Edit: Oh, or you do this... https://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=58080

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@ouq said:

@jvnadr said:

Their trial licencing is confusing. From memory by trial they really mean money-back policy. So you sign up for a month, then if you don't like it you contact them and they refund you for your recent payment...

Edit: Oh, or you do this... https://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=58080

Yeah, their trial setup was a bit...funny.

Not sure why they don't just do timed licenses since i'm assuming they already have it so things suspend when it's due.

Francisco

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

They're doing a great job. I've already configured a server that's ready for production. Took me a few hours, not much hassle. What really needs to be done is the Admin UI that needs certain functions, such as WHM, heh. Well, I guess we're too used to cPanel.

And of course, DNS license, or something like that... www.directslave.com is an option though.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited July 2019

@AnthonySmith said:
    For me really while I sit here with DA in 1 tab and WHM in the other and go through it item by item it is not that DA does not 'cover it' it is that in almost every element it is just that little bit more basic in DA.

I really don't mean for this to sound lazy or negative, but if it does then I hope it is at least taken in the spirit of good intentions and feedback from an actual user.

For example as I do not think a huge exhaustive list of 300 points of feedback from me will help.

Take a close look at both these images.

DNS admin:

WHM

DA

WHM is clear, leaves me with no doubt on where to find what i want while DA seems like a basic version that leaves me hunting, yes I know I can perform any of the functions via cli but this is not what I buy a panel for.

Now I have not added the new skin to DA yet but I don't see why a skin would add features, I will add the skin now though just in case.

The new skin is a lot better.

If you don't want to install their new skin, the demo already has it installed: https://www.directadmin.com/demo.php

Thanked by 1postcd
  • agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

just to ask humbly

how can you improve directadmin, till you are not a part of the team or till they havent asked you to collect a feedback on their part

in case you wish to develop some plugins or skins, its a welcomed idea

Thanked by 1postcd
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

agentmishra said: how can you improve directadmin, till you are not a part of the team or till they havent asked you to collect a feedback on their part

I asked Mark if he wanted me to help him collect public feedback. He said "Yes please", like a good ol' canadian boy.

Hence, the existence of these threads :)

Francisco

• I actually love the icons lol better than cPanel's

• PureVoltagePureVoltage Member, Patron Provider

Feedback is always good, as long as DA can change the 95 look it should be pretty solid, we have multiple owned keys for it from a long time ago haven't used it in years for the most part other than some clients using them.

Great to see some changes.

@Daniel15 yes it is, the skin does not however add any extra functionality which was my primary concern, take a look at the WHM screenshot for comparison.

Support for CloudFlare Railgun in DA would be awesome.

Thanked by 1sureiam
  • UnixfyUnixfy Member

I would like to see a Plesk migrator in addition to the cPanel migration tool.

Thanked by 1MikeAtBun
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited July 2019

So, by the end of day 2 with Direct Admin I have to say, I am with @anthonysmith on this. Direct Admin has all the functions you need, cPanel has all the functionality you want.

I just can't do it, it will make my guy's lives hell if I offer Direct Admin alongside cPanel on the same site. Anyone who does move will be opening tickets starting with "in DA, how do i..." And we will be replying with "You can't do that.".

I think DA will develop though so I am still going to go with a DA offering but create a completely new brand for it. I would rather throw $100 a month to @Francisco to have a slice in two locations with DA licences and see how that goes than upset existing clients by having them think the introduction of DA could spell the end of cPanel for them.

Creating a new hosting service in the summer, what can go wrong.

• Francisco said: I asked Mark if he wanted me to help him collect public feedback. He said "Yes please", like a good ol' canadian boy.

Hence, the existence of these threads

Francisco

I knew there was a Canadian co-operation behind this thread lol :)

• williewillie Member

I didn't see in the screen shots what functionality was missing from DA. The UI was obviously different though.

• bulabula Member

DA offers most of the necessary functions to get a site up and running as does cPanel. One just needs to get used to their UI and ways to manage. cPanel is a "want" like iPhone.

Thanked by 2MichaelCee lazyt