Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Directadmin Feedback Thread! Feedback wanted to help improve the product! - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

Directadmin Feedback Thread! Feedback wanted to help improve the product!

1356751

Comments

  • MichaelCeeMichaelCee Barred
    edited July 2019

    DirectAdmin Features:
    System: Administrator Settings, Tools, Name Servers, Service Monitor, System Backup, Administrator Backup, System Info & Files, Log Viewer, Usage Statistics, Server Information, Reseller Statistics, Licensing, Brute Force Monitor, Plugins, Server Manager, Multi Server Setup, Process Monitor, Mail Queue Admin/

    Users: Admin, Reseller, User (Add, Remove, Edit, List), Change Password & Template, User Backups.

    Domains: Site Redirection, Domain Setup & Management, Subdomains, DNS, Forwarding, Pointing.

    Email: Management, Webmail, Catchall, Email Forwarders, Autoresponders and Vacation Messages.

    Package: Add, Edit, Delete User and Reseller Packages. (Names can be edited. AFAIK WHM cant do this)

    Security: SSL Certificates, SSH Keys, Password Protect Directories, Security Questions, Two Step Auth.

    Other: FTP, MySQL, File Manager, File Editor, Cron Jobs, phpMyAdmin, Apache Handlers, Custom Error Pages

    (I may have missed a couple). Would be interesting to know what cPanel has extra but come to think of it, I usually minimise a lot of the "feature" tabs in cPanel anyway.

    Thanked by 1uptime
  • I'm trying to sign up...where can we buy a VPS or Reseller Hosting and move our accounts. I'm already getting errors with my current hosts.

  • MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider

    Is it possible to disable mail on a per domain/account basis? It would be awesome and all the headache concerning spam mail from compromised sites would be gone, or at least for the most part.

  • UnixfyUnixfy Member

    MechanicWeb said: Is it possible to disable mail on a per domain/account basis? It would be awesome and all the headache concerning spam mail from compromised sites would be gone, or at least for the most part.

    I am looking for this feature too..

  • williewillie Member

    Well, this is the DA thread inhabited by DA users who mostly know the existing features, so here it would matter more to know what is missing that cpanel has. Elsewhere though a more detailed explanation of the existing features might be enlightening for us current non-users who are wondering what the program does.

  • smtalksmtalk Member

    @stephfd21 said:
    An option to edit the php.ini file on the dashboard for admin/resellers would be nice.

    It's in 'File Editor' on admin level, but can be improved, of course :)

    AutoSSL like feature for novice users who can't use let'sEncrypt

    https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=675

    The 'File Manager' page where actual editing/uploads are done should have link to 'home' page. There is a small icon which opens 'Navigation' icons but there's no link to go to main page.

    Are we talking about the "logo" in top left, which goes to dashboard when clicked? It's there, unless you had something else in your mind.

    IP blocker where i can add IP addresses/Range to block

    Available in BFM if it's integrated with any firewall. Available in CSF plugin too.

    Domain Alias

    Available since 2004.

    Raw access logs/raw visitor logs AND Latest 1000 Visitors display with IP address and User-agent display inside Stats page. I couldn't find it inside Site Summary/Stats icon.

    It's there.

    @MechanicWeb said:
    Is it possible to disable mail on a per domain/account basis? It would be awesome and all the headache concerning spam mail from compromised sites would be gone, or at least for the most part.

    Can disable only PHP sends, only SMTP, or both, rate-limit them. Can also limit IMAP/POP etc. To disable mail per user basis: https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=655

    I'd suggest checking https://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=58062 for general information.

    Thank you.

    Thanked by 2Harambe postcd
  • Francisco said: I asked Mark if he wanted me to help him collect public feedback. He said "Yes please", like a good ol' canadian boy.

    Hope Mark has read our feedback here!

  • @Francisco cPanel has a 'Website Optimization' feature where options are:
    1. zip everything
    2. zip certain files/MIME types

    This needs to be in DA too.

  • Sofia_KSofia_K Member
    edited July 2019

    Francisco said: Multi PHP selector AND PHP-feature selector (like opcache, brotli) on account/domain basis

    It has a PHP selector but no on/off options. To be fair, cPanel's 'multiPHP' doesnt let you turn on/off things either. Cloudlinux provides both either way.

    -- I actually meant a list of PHP EXTENSIONS like APCu, Brotli, Opcache, and 100s others. I'm using your hosting and it does has it. I'm not aware if it is Cloudlinux functionality or Cpanel's but it really useful. I'm attaching a screenshot of it. Hope DA with CL will have it at least on your nodes.

    Here's an example screenshot of Extensions.

  • FranciscoFrancisco Member, Top Host, Host Rep

    Sofia_K said: -- I actually meant a list of PHP EXTENSIONS like APCu, Brotli, Opcache, and 100s others. I'm using your hosting and it does has it. I'm not aware if it is Cloudlinux functionality or Cpanel's but it really useful. I'm attaching a screenshot of it. Hope DA with CL will have it at least on your nodes.

    Here's an example screenshot of Extensions.

    That's Cloudlinux ;)

    Francisco

  • @Francisco So when can we expect to see the updated pricing structure for the reseller and shared hosting plans on buyshared? Also, will they remain as cpanel or be ported over to DA?

  • bikegremlinbikegremlin Member
    edited July 2019

    Automated FTP backups work like a charm - what I find lacking is the option to set the number of most recent backups to keep (like last 3 weekly ones and last 12 monthly ones).

    Created a "step-by-step" guide for reseller "package" and user account creation and automated backups setup, using Hetzner Box as a destination (hast to be FTP, no support for Backblaze for now).

    So this part at least, of DirectAdmin user interface, is apparently idiot friendly enough.

    As for the Canadians:

    Moderators can remove this off topic part, but I hope it's not too bad. Diary of a Bosnian emigrant to Canada. Sorry if my translation is not too good. It's (supposed to be) funny, hope no Canadians will take insults - not intended that way.

    June 12
    We've moved into our new home in Canada. I'm so excited. It's so beautiful here. Mountains are breathtaking. I can't wait to see them covered in snow.

    October 14
    Canada. This is the most beautiful country in the world. The leaves have taken all the beautiful shades of yellow, orange and red colour. I drove through the country and saw a deer. They are so gracious. This must be paradise, I love Canada!

    November 11
    Remembrance day (Canadian national holiday). Deer hunting will soon begin. I can't imagine how someone could kill such a beautiful animal. I hope it will snow soon. It's so beautiful here.

    December 2
    Tonight came the first snow. I got up in the morning and saw it all covered with a white sheet. It looks like the most beautiful post card. Can't describe the beauty. We got out, cleaned the stairs and the entrance road, then snowballed a bit (I won!). When a snow plow passed by I had to clear the entrance road again. Such a beautiful country.

    December 12
    Snow fell tonight again. The snow plow came again and piled the entrance road with snow. It's beautiful here.

    December 19
    Last night snow fell again. I couldn't take the car to work. It's really nice here, I'm just a bit tired of shoveling. Fucking snow plow again.

    December 22
    The white shit has been falling again all night. Got blisters from shoveling and my back aches. The ape with the snow plow seems to be hiding behind the corner and just waiting for me to clear the entrance road. Asshole!

    December 22
    Merry fucking and shitty Christmas. Some more bloody snow. If I ever lay my hands on the snow plow driving prick, I'll kill him. Why don't the fuckers put more salt on the road so the snow melts more quickly?!

    December 27
    Snow again tonight. I've not come out of the house for three days now, except to clear the entrance road after the snow plow passes by. I can't go anywhere because the car got stuck on a snow pile near the entrance and it's cold. Meteorologist predict another 30 cm of the white shit.

    December 28
    The forecast was wrong. There were 50 cm! If it goes on like this it won't melt until July. Snow plow got stuck in front of my house, and the asshole came to me to borrow a shovel, since his broke. I told him I've broken six shovels already clearing the shit he keeps piling on my entrance and I barely refrained from breaking the seventh on his head.

    January 4
    I finally got out of the house. Went to a grocery store to get some food since we had run out of supplies. On the way back I hit a deer with the car. 3000 $ damage and I even have to go to court for the dead deer. Those fucking demons should all be killed - they're everywhere! Too bad the hunters didn't exterminate them all last autumn.

    March 5
    Took the car to the mechanic. Couldn't believe how rusty they got from the fucking salt poured everywhere.

    May 10
    I'm moving to Florida. Fuck Canada! I can't imagine anyone normal living in that bloody Canada!

    Thanked by 2uptime mikei
  • FranciscoFrancisco Member, Top Host, Host Rep

    @stephfd21 said:
    @Francisco So when can we expect to see the updated pricing structure for the reseller and shared hosting plans on buyshared? Also, will they remain as cpanel or be ported over to DA?

    I'll do an official annoucement, but we'll do $0.12/month per account on resellers. No accounts will be included in the reseller price with additional slots sold in bundles of say, 5.

    Francisco

  • @bikegremlin if it's your diary than it's hilarious. If you ever visit Norway (northern side) you will be amazed too...

  • Sofia_KSofia_K Member
    edited July 2019

    @Francisco and what can be the pricing for resellers on DA node? No more 'unlimited accounts' (Since DA does not charge per account basis) or some 20-25 accounts included in base reseller plan price. I hope to swtich to DA as I've only 20 accounts under me.

  • donlidonli Member

    @LTniger said:
    @bikegremlin if it's your diary than it's hilarious. If you ever visit Norway (northern side) you will be amazed too...

    Wait until he finds out about aligators

  • KrisKris Member
    edited July 2019

    Been with cPanel since I was HostDime's first employee.

    Hell, they actually stole x2 design from me (remember the networking switch - mine was semi-transparent - they liked the layout and swapped it out with a more green one)

    That was a custom HostDime skin I designed that they lifted, but... whatever.

    @Francisco can I get a DA VPS to help skin and offer some suggestions? These guys fucked up big time.

    If they were smart they would have done a $5/mo plan for people with $5 accounts, then $15 for VPS and $45 bare metal. That's flat and understandable.

    But shitbirds had to get greedy after the failed 'cPanel One'

    I'm done, and about to reskin DA in my free time. Hell back at HostDime I made it look nice, and they liked it so much (the green networking switches) the bastards lifted it and added some 1's and 0's.

    cPanel looked like this:

    I skinned it to :

    They took my networking picture, added a lady and made it more green. x theme look familiar ;) ?

    PS: Before fantastico I reverse engineered their built in scripts method, and that's how HostDime and Surpass Hosting had 'Scripta' long before Fantastico came out.

    Good times. Bye cPanel!

  • FranciscoFrancisco Member, Top Host, Host Rep

    Kris said: @Francisco can I get a DA VPS to help skin and offer some suggestions? These guys fucked up big time.

    Is this going to be something opensource or something you're wanting to keep in one of the families?

    Let me know what you need and i'll do right by you.

    Francisco

    Thanked by 1Kris
  • FranciscoFrancisco Member, Top Host, Host Rep

    @Sofia_K said:
    @Francisco and what can be the pricing for resellers on DA node? No more 'unlimited accounts' (Since DA does not charge per account basis) or some 20-25 accounts included in base reseller plan price. I hope to swtich to DA as I've only 20 accounts under me.

    Our DA plans would be the current price users pay now w/o a user cap.

    Francisco

    Thanked by 1Sofia_K
  • @donli said:

    @LTniger said:
    @bikegremlin if it's your diary than it's hilarious. If you ever visit Norway (northern side) you will be amazed too...

    Wait until he finds out about aligators

    There actually is a second part, in the "nicer climate" - but think that would be too much for a hosting forum. :)

    Not my diary, but it is typical. :)

    OT:
    I managed to make reseller account, user account and set up automated backups.

    https://io.bikegremlin.com/10658/directadmin-setup/

    Couldn't test if it all works properly (backups are created, accounts as well), because the migration didn't work (500 error). What I did to try and migrate from cPanel to DirectAdmin (where did I screw up?):

    https://io.bikegremlin.com/10712/cpanel-directadmin-migration/

    Thanked by 2donli mikei
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider

    @Kris said:
    Been with cPanel since I was HostDime's first employee.

    Hell, they actually stole x2 design from me (remember the networking switch - mine was semi-transparent - they liked the layout and swapped it out with a more green one)

    That was a custom HostDime skin I designed that they lifted, but... whatever.

    @Francisco can I get a DA VPS to help skin and offer some suggestions? These guys fucked up big time.

    If they were smart they would have done a $5/mo plan for people with $5 accounts, then $15 for VPS and $45 bare metal. That's flat and understandable.

    But shitbirds had to get greedy after the failed 'cPanel One'

    I'm done, and about to reskin DA in my free time. Hell back at HostDime I made it look nice, and they liked it so much (the green networking switches) the bastards lifted it and added some 1's and 0's.

    cPanel looked like this:

    I skinned it to :

    They took my networking picture, added a lady and made it more green. x theme look familiar ;) ?

    PS: Before fantastico I reverse engineered their built in scripts method, and that's how HostDime and Surpass Hosting had 'Scripta' long before Fantastico came out.

    Good times. Bye cPanel!

    If you could build a very similar skin for DA it would be awesome! 😁

  • Sorry. No offense to anyone but Direct Admin is on the market for quite some time as far as i know. Why did they not create a user interface that all the above people request until now? Because cPanel was industry standard and they were weak at competition?

    I do not know. Just asking. No hard feelings. I mean, why this has to be done by the hosting/hoster community? Is not the company responsible for creating a modern and good looking interface. Why we have to handle this with skins?

  • Looks good but for me as a end user any panel with a file manager and ssl options is good enough for me.

    Although it does look a bit dated.

  • jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited July 2019

    DreamCaster said: Sorry. No offense to anyone but Direct Admin is on the market for quite some time as far as i know. Why did they not create a user interface that all the above people request until now? Because cPanel was industry standard and they were weak at competition?

    They did. Just not so good -or, for some, not so familiar- as CPanel. DA has for long time a skin with icons and their panel has really being imrpoved adding a lot of features the last 3-4 years. And it is much more light that CPanel itself.

    Lee said: So, by the end of day 2 with Direct Admin I have to say, I am with @anthonysmith on this. Direct Admin has all the functions you need, cPanel has all the functionality you want.

    ^^ This! With DA you can do almost anything you really need. CPanel has tons of features that you maybe don't really need or can achieve via terminal, but it is more shiny and adds functionality for secondary tasks.

    Thanked by 1Lee
  • HxxxHxxx Member

    Some people here have a BIG BIG BIG ego. Geezzzzz Bruther take a pill.

  • An addition to my previous feature lacking from cPanel/WHM:
    EasyApache makes it simple to add modules into Apache.
    A ModSecurity interface to disable particular rules and/or edit them. (The latest WHM one is awful, IMO, compared to previous easy interface).

  • Lifetime licenses have already been improved - today.

  • imokimok Member

    bikegremlin said: Lifetime licenses have already been improved - today.

    How?

  • KwoonKwoon Member
    edited July 2019

    What is the minimum amount of RAM suggested to run DA?
    From their demo I can see it uses about 200MB of ram (mysql not included, I don't know why)

Sign In or Register to comment.