Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Directadmin Feedback Thread! Feedback wanted to help improve the product!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Directadmin Feedback Thread! Feedback wanted to help improve the product!

FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
edited November 2021 in General

As we're all trying to recover from the cPanel sticker shock, DirectAdmin has been making improvements to their panel to help ease the transition for people.

The latest updates are to the new Evolution UI, adding an "icon grid" option to give users a more "cPanel" feel to things.

Admin: https://i.imgur.com/lvmjSQd.png
Resellers: https://i.imgur.com/SpH5TfL.png
Users: https://i.imgur.com/xvXKc1t.png

In their latest beta feed they've also integrated a cPanel importer so you just have to drop your cpmove files into a specific folder and it's done.

The icons for sure need to be changed to something more fitting (they feel a little Windows 95'ish), but I think it's a push in the right direction. No, the cPanel icons are trademarked to cPanel, using them will get you a C&D.

What else do you think DA needs to change to make a migration from cPanel to DirectAdmin better?

Remember, DA doesn't have control over JetBackup or other 3rd party plugins.

Francisco

Comments

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider

it looks good!

Thanked by 1adef_1
  • i might jus nut on directadmin

Thanked by 1skorupion
  • mlcmlc Member

The introduction of comic elements and seems to be more suitable for young people.

• (1) Make sure the migration from cPanel to DA is flawless.
    (1.a) Ability to resync files after migration to make sure all changes to DB and new email received by the old cPanel server during the DNS update are caught and migrated as well.
    (2) Get a confirmation from JetBackup and they are working on it
    (3) Roll out the new panel asap as it seems to be a concern to so many hosters, which I frankly dont' get it .. but meh.

Thanked by 1Shazan
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

404error said: (1.a) Ability to resync files after migration to make sure all changes to DB and new email received by the old cPanel server during the DNS update are caught and migrated as well.

This would be a tough one. Does cPanel even do that? When we did our hardware rebuilds we simply suspended websites, that way there was no changes registered. It may have freaked some users out, but the only time we had issues was when someone was screwing with their DNS.

Francisco

Thanked by 3eva2000 jvnadr LowVM
  • williewillie Member

I'm happy to give some encouragement to DA, since that doesn't cost me anything. But if I'm going to do actual work on someone's product design and they're not paying me, I'd want it to be a FOSS product. Otherwise we're back to square one.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @Francisco said:

404error said: (1.a) Ability to resync files after migration to make sure all changes to DB and new email received by the old cPanel server during the DNS update are caught and migrated as well.

This would be a tough one. Does cPanel even do that? When we did our hardware rebuilds we simply suspended websites, that way there was no changes registered. It may have freaked some users out, but the only time we had issues was when someone was screwing with their DNS.

Francisco

Yes. Or I have been lied too for many... many moons.

edited July 2019

@willie said:
    I'm happy to give some encouragement to DA, since that doesn't cost me anything. But if I'm going to do actual work on someone's product design and they're not paying me, I'd want it to be a FOSS product. Otherwise we're back to square one.

Just pointers on where you think the product is lacking. They have a designer/graphics person, but I figured I'd lend them a hand with a thread to try to get public feedback.

Francisco

Thanked by 1mrTom
  • An option to edit the php.ini file on the dashboard for admin/resellers would be nice.

Thanked by 2Francisco dominame
  • ITLabsITLabs Member

Icons are stored in a SVG sprite (/assets/img/icons.svg). Pretty easy to customize.

• HostEONSHostEONS Member, Patron Provider

They are doing a good job, and thanks to you for helping them to make DA a better product

Thanked by 2ITLabs Francisco

@stephfd21 said:
    An option to edit the php.ini file on the dashboard for admin/resellers would be nice.

Supposedly this can be done in the admin panel. Maybe they can see about doing it for end users too :)

Francisco

• karanchookaranchoo Member
    edited July 2019

I dont know about other people but
    It is much complicated to install.
    Custom builds and every package
    And if you want to change from apache to nginx
    I guess there is again shell usage.
    Edit : also there themeing system was also complicated
    Diffrent theme for end users . Different for resellers and admin. And if you have to Install it again shell involved

• Make shared hosting great again

• Sofia_KSofia_K Member
    edited July 2019
    1. DA should include a "site builder" like cpanel has or add it with Softaculous, plus one-click Wordpress is a must.

2. AutoSSL like feature for novice users who can't use let'sEncrypt

3. Multi PHP selector AND PHP-feature selector (like opcache, brotli) on account/domain basis

4. CPU load average indicators like WHM into DA "reseller panel"

5. Increase the 'font-size' of all the headers and text in ALL their skins. It's too tiny size.

6. Breadcrumb navigation up to the last page. So I've created a database, it has a 'back' button which takes me to 'previous' page (again to create a database) but not directly to the 'Home' or page where main icons are shown. So this should be added to save time and click on 'back' 'back' 'back' grey-buttons!

7. I didn't find "ModSecurity" toggle on/off feature, though their site shows they support it.

8. Perl/Pear packages - directory and installation.

9. jailed-ssh/Terminal to install scripts directly/ move backups etc.

10. CPU/RAM/Inode usage per 10 mins/1 hour/1day (similar graphs or statistic table like cpanel displays under "CPU and Concurrent Usage") feature. It should also include I/O, Entry Processes, Total Number of Processes. Right now I could only find INODES number display. Also, CPU, RAM, EP, should be displayed on the main page under "Your Account" section in the right-side. Right now only inode is displayed along with disk and bandwidth.

11. The 'File Manager' page where actual editing/uploads are done should have link to 'home' page. There is a small icon which opens 'Navigation' icons but there's no link to go to main page.

12. IP blocker where i can add IP addresses/Range to block

13. Domain Alias

14. Raw access logs/raw visitor logs AND Latest 1000 Visitors display with IP address and User-agent display inside Stats page. I couldn't find it inside Site Summary/Stats icon.

15. Display shared/dedicated IP address of the server on User panel on main page under "Your Account" section in the right-side.

Thanked by 1postcd
    edited July 2019

@Sofia_K said:
    1. DA should include a "site builder" like cpanel has or add it with Softaculous, plus one-click Wordpress is a must.

Site builders are always a pain. Truth be told i've never used one for a client and I've only had a couple ask.

1. AutoSSL like feature for novice users who can't use let'sEncrypt

DA already supports LE, so I guess it just needs a 'autossl' like cron that auto walks domains?

1. Multi PHP selector AND PHP-feature selector (like opcache, brotli) on account/domain basis

It has a PHP selector but no on/off options. To be fair, cPanel's 'multiPHP' doesnt let you turn on/off things either. Cloudlinux provides both either way.

1. CPU load average indicators like WHM into DA "reseller panel"

Seems simple enough :)

1. Increase the 'font-size' of all the headers and text in ALL their skins. It's too tiny size.

>

1. Breadcrumb navigation up to the last page. So I've created a database, it has a 'back' button which takes me to 'previous' page (again to create a database) but not directly to the 'Home' or page where main icons are shown. So this should be added to save time and click on 'back' 'back' 'back' grey-buttons!

2. I didn't find "ModSecurity" toggle on/off feature, though their site shows they support it.

3. Perl/Pear packages - directory and installation.

>

1. jailed-ssh/Terminal to install scripts directly/ move backups etc.

SSH likely already works, but for public shared people should be using CageFS anyway.

1. CPU/RAM/Inode usage per 10 mins/1 hour/1day (similar graphs or statistic table like cpanel displays under "CPU and Concurrent Usage") feature. It should also include I/O, Entry Processes, Total Number of Processes. Right now I could only find INODES number display. Also, CPU, RAM, EP, should be displayed on the main page under "Your Account" section in the right-side. Right now only inode is displayed along with disk and bandwidth.

These are cloudlinux things though. cPanel doesn't include this, this is entirely on CL.

1. The 'File Manager' page where actual editing/uploads are done should have link to 'home' page. There is a small icon which opens 'Navigation' icons but there's no link to go to main page.

Good call.

1. IP blocker where i can add IP addresses/Range to block

Does cPanel allow this? Maybe through cpHulk it allows this? Supposedly CSF is working on better integration.

1. Domain Alias

Good one if it's not there.

1. Raw access logs/raw visitor logs AND Latest 1000 Visitors display with IP address and User-agent display inside Stats page. I couldn't find it inside Site Summary/Stats icon.

2. Display shared/dedicated IP address of the server on User panel on main page under "Your Account" section in the right-side.

Another good one!

Keep 'em coming, I'm sure the DA dev's are following this all.

Francisco

Thanked by 3kkrajk Sofia_K ITLabs
  • williewillie Member

Francisco said: Just pointers on where you think the product is lacking

OK fine, but (maybe in another thread) I hope we can do something similar for the FOSS packages. I've never used DA myself so while I'm sure it's great, I don't have specific comments about it. If I can ask for one thing I hope they do a better job with security than cPanel has been doing.

• LeviLevi Member
    1. I wish that DA had more extensive DNS system with PowerDNS support. Current edition is not enough to compare with cPanel's "Advanced Edit" of DNS records and DNS server selection.

2. Native remote (S)FTP backup support per client/reseller

3. More examples on API documentation

LTniger said: Native remote (S)FTP backup support per client/reseller

You mean like how in cPanel a user can trigger a 'create backup' job and it stores it to their home directory or a remote host?

Francisco

• RedSoxRedSox Member

Add Webmoney please.

@RedSox said:
    Add Webmoney please.

So you can buy from DirectAdmin's website? Or are you saying that for me?

Francisco

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

This looks pretty good... be glad to stop lining the pockets of cPanel

• RedSoxRedSox Member
    edited July 2019

Francisco said: So you can buy from DirectAdmin's website? Or are you saying that for me?

I've been asking you for about a month to add the ability to pay for your products via Webmoney. Still have no answer. Do you plan to add this ability in the near future or not? Thanks.

• LeeLee Veteran

Any resellers doing cheap DA licences? I just want to do some live testing to make sure the API is doing what I expect then I will sign up with DA to get them. Don't use WHMCS or anything like that so need to code it all from scratch.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2019

For me really while I sit here with DA in 1 tab and WHM in the other and go through it item by item it is not that DA does not 'cover it' it is that in almost every element it is just that little bit more basic in DA.

I really don't mean for this to sound lazy or negative, but if it does then I hope it is at least taken in the spirit of good intentions and feedback from an actual user.

For example as I do not think a huge exhaustive list of 300 points of feedback from me will help.

Take a close look at both these images.

DNS admin:

WHM

DA

WHM is clear, leaves me with no doubt on where to find what i want while DA seems like a basic version that leaves me hunting, yes I know I can perform any of the functions via cli but this is not what I buy a panel for.

Now I have not added the new skin to DA yet but I don't see why a skin would add features, I will add the skin now though just in case.

Thanked by 2luper769 postcd
  • LeeLee Veteran

AnthonySmith said: For me really while I sit here with DA in 1 tab and WHM in the other and go through it item by item it is not that DA does not 'cover it' it is that in almost every element it is just that little bit more basic in DA.

I completely agree, that sums it up really, but dare I say it, the pricing of cPanel now reflects the difference :)

• The last time I used DA, I guess it was 2010 and panel was looking sth like this.

Looking at what Fran posted, Now they seem to have improved the outlook A LOT!!! Minor changes can be done but I believe this is a usable panel and nice alternative. If Frantech (which I am a long time customer) or any other reliable/well known provider decides to burn the ships and leave the port of cPanel, I will be supportive. During the transition period, minor problems and UIX difficulties may occur on both provider and user sides. However in the end, I believe this will lead to a more competitive and well balanced market.

Thanked by 2hostdare ITLabs
  • HostEONSHostEONS Member, Patron Provider

@DreamCaster said:

If Frantech (which I am a long time customer) or any other reliable/well known provider decides to burn the ships and leave the port of cPanel, I will be supportive.

I'm sure most of the Low End Providers are going to switch to DA unless they don't want to serve the Low end market anymore, even we will be soon switching to DA, but we will be waiting at least for another 1-2 months before doing that (hoping some new and better features are added to DA or may be cPanel is able to get their head straight), till then we will just bare the cPanel License costs

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Lee said: but dare I say it, the pricing of cPanel now reflects the difference

Yeah I was thinking about this, but really cpanel is not changed that much since I ran it in 2011 in terms of its base.

With that said, i cant wait to see how DA responds and all signs are highly positive.

Thanked by 3Lee ITLabs MichaelCee
  • I always appreciate the cPanel/WHM Apache status, where one can see at a glance which user sites are being accessed, down to page served level. It makes spotting rogue crawlers, for example, much easier.

Thanked by 1postcd