Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New cPanel Licensing and Pricing Structure - thoughts?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New cPanel Licensing and Pricing Structure - thoughts?

unusedunused Member
edited February 2020 in General

Introducing Account Based Pricing

The hosting industry has changed a lot in the last 20 years, and has long out-grown the licensing and pricing structure that we have used at cPanel. Effective immediately, cPanel's license structure and the way we price our products is changing. Our pricing and licensing structure will now be standardized for all of our customers and include multiple Tiers. This new structure defines the price of each license based on the number of Accounts hosted on the server, reflecting the value received by the owner; now, customers pay for only what they use. On September 1st, 2019, we will introduce Auto-Scaling Packages, Fixed Packages, and transition all existing monthly licenses to the new account based pricing and licensing structure.

Which prices are changing?
We are adjusting the prices of all cPanel licenses sold to our Partners, Distributors, and cPanel Store Customers.

FAQ: https://forums.cpanel.net/pages/partners/

Partners preview your new pricing on Manage2: https://manage2.cpanel.net/invoice.cgi

WHT thread - only linked because cPanel has responded to some there, proceed with caution.

Comments

• georgedatacentergeorgedatacenter Member, Patron Provider

Is that a message from cpanel?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2019

unused said: Effective immediately,

Nice....

unused said: reflecting the value received by the owner

wow....

They are charging a minimum of $0.20c per month per account by the look of it and that includes your resellers accounts.

bye bye cPanel, it was good while it lasted.

Thanked by 2coreflux webcraft
  • Host4GeeksHost4Geeks Member, Host Rep

2 Sentences.

I am not surprised, expect more of these coming from Plesk, SolusVM and WHMCS since they are all under the umbrella.

Shameful of the way they implemented it.

The email said, " We aim to simplify the process of adding new servers, make it easier to become a cPanel customer, and provide value to a broader group of users."

Simple, my a**!

• vovlervovler Member

Bulk Account pricing starts at the 101st cPanel Account at the cPanel Store price of twenty cents per additional cPanel Account

• NoCommentNoComment Member
    edited June 2019

Oh boy... What's going to happen to all the cheap shared/reseller plans? They are charging $45 monthly for the first 100 cpanel accounts, and $0.20 for each additional account.

Thanked by 2elliotc trusty33
    edited June 2019

smallbibi said: Oh boy... What's going to happen to all the cheap shared/reseller plans? They are charging $45 monthly for the first 100 cpanel accounts, and $0.20 for each additional account.

They are going to stop using cPanel.

Think of the $2 p/month reseller plans you see, if those resellers have more than 10 accounts it is going to start COSTING the host money to have them as cpanel plan to count resellers customers accounts too.

the 0 notice is the most insane part.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited June 2019

This is anything but simple.

And who gives zero grace period? I petition to rename common sense to rare sense.

Thanked by 2Ympker taubin
  • BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

ggwp cPanel

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee Barred
    edited June 2019

Either just killed the majority of their market or they've gone full Apple and this will be the life now. I have been fucking with Direct Admin recently though, might kick it up a notch.

Mic-hael said: Either just killed the majority of their market or they've gone full Apple and this will be the life now.

People will just switch to plesk.... oh wait!

This way of introducing it is a complete joke.

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited June 2019

This is not good for lowend, lowcost hosting providers such as myself, unless per cPanel Accounts are extremely cheap. Think in the order of 12 customers per server.
    I saw the 20c starting price but read that was for bulk scale Accounts of 200+?
    Did anyone else notice the published date at the bottom of the announcement and how few had read it, until this thread?

• HostEONSHostEONS Member, Patron Provider

Hope some good alternative comes out or we need to stop offering cheap cPanel hosting or may be just switch to some other panel like Direct Admin

AlwaysSkint said: This is not good for lowend, lowcost hosting providers such as myself, unless per cPanel Accounts are extremely cheap. Think in the order of 12 customers per server.

Hosting generally has gotten really cheap, I guess direct admin are having a party right now.

• LampardLampard Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2019

I think that its time to look for alternatives.

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee Barred
    edited June 2019

@AnthonySmith said:

Mic-hael said: Either just killed the majority of their market or they've gone full Apple and this will be the life now.

People will just switch to plesk.... oh wait!

This way of introducing it is a complete joke.

What does this mean for those reseller plans you hinted at coming soon?

HostEONS said: may be just switch to some other panel like Direct Admin

The question comes up about the customer's experience though. If someone buys a service specifically for cPanel, why are they going to stay if they're force migrated to another panel?

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • jhjh Member
    edited June 2019

Remind me of when the UK Gov tried to sell the VAT hike from 17.5% to 20% on the basis it would make calculations simpler.. Hahaha

• If anyone finds the pricing model, do please share. Less than three months to switch panels, persuading clients or foot the bill regardless. :-/

https://cpanel.net/pricing/

Is this going to apply right now?

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • What will happen with legacy licences. Will they be moved to the new pricing structure?

@Mic-hael said:

HostEONS said: may be just switch to some other panel like Direct Admin

The question comes up about the customer's experience though. If someone buys a service specifically for cPanel, why are they going to stay if they're force migrated to another panel?

Either we need to increase the pricing or switch to another panel, they want us to pay $30 for upto 30 accounts per month i.e. $1 per account and if a provider is selling hosting for $1 per month or cheaper, then that business model is not sustainable anymore, hence time to change

https://cpanel.net/pricing/

Lets see what final price etc... comes out

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited June 2019

That's an outrageous amount!
    My take: they lost the revenue stream from the ludicrously priced dedicated server market due to improved virtualisation and better density with VPS. Cheaper to run say proxmox on a dedi, then pay for cPanel VPS licenses.

• /crap

Mic-hael said: What does this mean for those reseller plans you hinted at coming soon?

They are not going to happen.

I think some lifetime licenses from back in 2012 still exist, they will become pretty valuable now :)

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
    edited June 2019

I think we will see something similar even with SolusVM soon iirc solusVM and cPanel are now owned by same parent company ?

May be time to even find a good SolusVM alternative

more info:

https://cpanel.net/wp-content/themes/cPbase/assets/downloads/cP_Store_Licensing_Guide.pdf

either hosting prices are increased or you switch to directadmin

Thanked by 1Foul
    edited June 2019

HostEONS said: I think we will see something similar even with SolusVM soon iirc solusVM and cPanel are now owned by same parent company ?

May be time to even find a good SolusVM alternative

I dont think they would dare, virtualizor is to close to solusvm in terms of features and has an auto migration method already, if solusvm did this they would likely loose about 80% of their customers overnight.

If plesk buy virtualizor though..... then it might be time to worry.

• FoulFoul Member

georgedatacenter said: either hosting prices are increased or you switch to directadmin

Pretty much, but also what @AnthonySmith grabbed at is the Lifetime licenses.

They do still exist, and just shot up in value because of this.

Just going to say that this is a sudden move from cPanel with no notice.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Well, every cheap CPanel hosting is now dead, neat.
    Good job suckers.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited June 2019

The end of many lowend hosts is nigh.

Hmm, on second thought, this might kill PSK hosting.

Thanked by 1JohnMiller92