Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New cPanel Licensing and Pricing Structure - thoughts? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New cPanel Licensing and Pricing Structure - thoughts?

Comments

• emghemgh Member

Still can't decide if I:

1. Am going go live with it and use a host that keeps cPanel. Less hassle, less migration

2. Go with a possibly cheaper DA host and stand up for myself. Potentially with lots of hassle

3. Take this as a sign to not trust corporations with software and migrate to a Hetzner VPS

• FoulFoul Member

AnthonySmith said: I just found out the Buycpanel.com only JUST found out about this.

Fucking disgusting.

Yep. I told fran about that a hour ago they found out about it only today.

They're working on making a pricing structure.

Jeff was shocked nonthenless.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Well, you may not have the choice.

If customers want Cpanel, that's dat. You ain't gonna convince them to use another panel.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@ThresherHost said:
    Ultimately, This hurts the end consumer because we will just pass the cost to the customer thus inflating prices to cover costs. Seem quite aggressive at .10 for every license above 100....

It's gonna hit the cheapo hosts/plans though.
    The cheapos will find another way to stay cheap though. So you'll surely use customers along the way, too. That is, if you don't offer a solution for the cheapos :D

• unusedunused Member

Partners can generate a "preview" of the new invoice by going to https://manage2.cpanel.net/invoice.cgi

Curious what folks are seeing as far as the cost increase? Luckily we don't have much cPanel. We are seeing an increase of approx 30% based on the preview.

• @Ympker said:

@ThresherHost said:
    Ultimately, This hurts the end consumer because we will just pass the cost to the customer thus inflating prices to cover costs. Seem quite aggressive at .10 for every license above 100....

It's gonna hit the cheapo hosts/plans though.
    The cheapos will find another way to stay cheap though. So you'll surely use customers along the way, too. That is, if you don't offer a solution for the cheapos :D

They will have to settle for less features, and functionality as part of the being a chepo LOL. But, as you said most will find a way or use something else.

Thanked by 1Ympker

Poor summerhosts.

Cpanel has just put ice water on their grand plans for quick dough.

• LeeLee Veteran

deank said: Cpanel has just put ice water on their grand plans for quick dough.

Think that will apply to every provider on LET.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Well that's stupid. What's the license cost for a full stack cPanel setup now? Like $150/m on licensing alone lol?

No set cost. It now depends on how many accounts you have.

Meaning smaller (cheap) accounts worth less.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

The whole "not knowing what your bill is going to be next month" pricing model needs to stop.

• When I first opened the linked page about the announcement it had 179 views;
    Currently:

Published: Jun 18, 2019 Page Views: 519

The LET effect?

• Adam1Adam1 Member

What is expected to happen to customers who have pre-paid for unlimited reseller accounts for years at a time?

edited June 2019

Race to 666 posts.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2019

Adam1 said: What is expected to happen to customers who have pre-paid for unlimited reseller accounts for years at a time?

This is why it is disgusting, they sell yearly licenses themselves, they should know why this is completely irresponsible.

• emghemgh Member

@deank said:
    Race to 666 posts.

I was there and forgot to celebrate it. The end was nigh.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited June 2019

Adam1 said: What is expected to happen to customers who have pre-paid for unlimited reseller accounts for years at a time?

The provider needs to absorb it, assuming they don't have a long term licence contract and have time to manage a way through it. Or they fold.

edited June 2019

They will fold. No question about that.

All those Alpha male master reseller Grand duke plans are going to cost'em.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • FoulFoul Member

Some resellers still have yearly licenses available.
    Just a heads up. :)

• @Foul said:
    Some resellers still have yearly licenses available.
    Just a heads up. :)

Just because they may not even know yet, I'm sure if you order one you will get refunded.

Nah, order the shit out of them and threaten bad LET reviews.

Thanked by 2emgh feezioxiii
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I love how cPanel is touting that they are doing this to reduce the load on servers and penalize hosting providers who cram more than 100 users on a server... meanwhile in 2011 I was able to fit over 1400 active cPanel users on an Intel Atom 330 with 2GB of RAM and 2 SATA drives in RAID1 without any issue. How about instead of raising prices for everybody they do one of the following:

1) Educate hosting providers on how to not be morons. Hit them with fees for support tickets or bill them based on their server loads.

2) Optimize your product to run better in all types of environments. To my knowledge cPanel doesn't give you much control over what software is installed and will install the same stuff regardless of server hardware. VestaCP (for all of it's flaws) at least checks how much RAM you have an dials it back on the features if you don't have enough.

3) Innovate and offer something else. Maybe a stripped down control panel targeted at resellers? Maybe invest in cloud solutions and start selling properly managed hosted cPanel services? Maybe a "host-in-a-box" with the servers, control panel, and billing software all rolled into one?

It's apparent that cPanel doesn't care about the providers or the clients, I just feel bad for the license resellers who are going to get screwed royally by having to scramble to get new infrastructure in place just to monitor the number of cPanel accounts for their clients.

• FoulFoul Member

desfire said: Just because they may not even know yet, I'm sure if you order one you will get refunded.

Incorrect, they do know but still have some in stock.

Thanked by 1KeyJey
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited June 2019

deank said: All those Alpha male master reseller Grand duke plans are going to cost'em.

That but also as I mentioned earlier, you don't know month to month what your bill will be as the numbers will change all the time.

All I can really think of doing is totalling up and keeping a running total of the number of hypothetical accounts that could be created, take an average of the past year and assume I will need to cover 80% of that each month. Something like that anyway.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I don't know exactly what I'm going to do in response, but cPanel most certainly burned this bridge today. This is an increase of over $11,000 per year for me. I'm running a small business and trying to grow it, they've decided that they want my profit that could be used to grow it.

It's their right, it's their product, but the fallout is our right.

The end is nigh.

• @KuJoe said:
    I love how cPanel is touting that they are doing this to reduce the load on servers and penalize hosting providers who cram more than 100 users on a server... meanwhile in 2011 I was able to fit over 1400 active cPanel users on an Intel Atom 330 with 2GB of RAM and 2 SATA drives in RAID1 without any issue. How about instead of raising prices for everybody they do one of the following:

Have they really said is to reduce the load on servers? I have 1,000 sites on a dedicated and the current load average is 2.10 on a 24 cores server. You could also have just one and load averages be quite high

• @jar said:
    I don't know exactly what I'm going to do in response, but cPanel most certainly burned this bridge today. This is an increase of over $11,000 per year for me. I'm running a small business and trying to grow it, they've decided that they want my profit that could be used to grow it.

It's their right, it's their product, but the fallout is our right.

I can't believe they've done this. cPanel is good software, but its not worth the pricing they feel like charging.

Thanked by 1jar
  • LimpanLimpan Member
    edited June 2019

Wow, what a shitty move, and with such short notice.

Guess I would be more ok if they would let current licenses keep running with the same pricing model. Now they are just being assholes.

DA is not as smooth as cPanel, but I guess I’ll have to move my sites to DA instead.

• FoulFoul Member

jar said: I don't know exactly what I'm going to do in response, but cPanel most certainly burned this bridge today. This is an increase of over $11,000 per year for me. I'm running a small business and trying to grow it, they've decided that they want my profit that could be used to grow it.

I Just remembered...

Oh crap mxroute.

Thanked by 1BeardyUnixGuy