Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online.net changed the price of special server - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Online.net changed the price of special server

Comments

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited August 2018

I feel like tagging 'em up for more information about this +72% price increase.

@OnlineJulien @bene_online

I also think... the end is nigh.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited August 2018

I asked them about the price increase and I got a canned response. This is my initial ticket:

I am really frustrated by your decision rising up the prices of you special deals, even more because of the short notice for me to decide if we will accept the price increase or not. If I understand correctly, I have just 2 days to decide if I will keep the servers with the new price or should I cancel them. With the margin of the 20th of a month for a cancellation, you will lock me there for another billing period if I don;t decide what to do until Sunday!!! And all that on the center of the summer, when almost all people are on vacation... What a poor practice of yours... You should at least give clients a month to decide what they will do with the servers, if they will keep them with the new prices or not. I guess your company will not go bankrupt for a month more of discounted services... It doesn't matter if your prices are competitive. Your behavior to your clients, is really disappointing...

And the Online.net 's answer:

Hi, To keep up with the market's evolution over the past few years, we will be reviewing our billing system. We will always remain the most competitive hosting solution provider on the market. However to match a constantly evolving market we will be adapting our prices every so often. This decision will open new opportunities for our partnership. As this decision is made for us to move forward together, if you find a better option somewhere else that might tempt you, feel free to get back to us ! Our sole objective is to remain competitive whilst still providing the best performances on the market. We thank you for your continued loyalty and trust. But note you can ask the termination until the end of this month exceptionally by ticket. Regards

I opened another ticket for cancellation, and they responded in minutes:

Hello, I suppose that you are terminating yours servers regarding the prices increase ? Best regards

I answered this:

Yes, because of that. I woudn't mind a price increase but not an increase of ~80% and without further notice (in the middle of the August when i am on vacation and with time window of less than two weeks).

And then, I got again the initial canned response, just without the "if you like you can cancel until the end of the month by ticket" and the "loyality" part ( I am a customer since 2013).

To keep up with the market's evolution over the past few years, we will be reviewing our billing system. We will always remain the most competitive hosting solution provider on the market. However to match a constantly evolving market we will be adapting our prices every so often. This decision will open new opportunities for our partnership. As this decision is made for us to move forward together, if you find a better option somewhere else that might tempt you, feel free to get back to us ! Our sole objective is to remain competitive whilst still providing the best performances on the market.

• Worst kind of attitude that a provider can do.

• jvnadr said: And then, I got again the initial canned response, just without the "if you like you can cancel until the end of the month by ticket" and the "loyality" part ( I am a customer since 2013).

Why don't you show their CEO comment here that said they won't increase price for existing customers?

• levnode said: Why don't you show their CEO comment here that said they won't increase price for existing customers?

Really not interested... After all, I already abandoned the ship and transfer the limited staff i had there to another server of mine...

• jvnadr said: I already abandoned the ship

Probably wise. The retroactive price increases on what must be a smallish number of old promo servers, following on an earlier increase on the regular product line when competitors were lowering prices on similar products, suggest some kind of financial distress at Online. I thought big providers weren't supposed to go deadpool. Maybe there will be a first?

Thanked by 1jvnadr
  • @willie said:

jvnadr said: I already abandoned the ship

Probably wise. The retroactive price increases on what must be a smallish number of old promo servers, following on an earlier increase on the regular product line when competitors were lowering prices on similar products, suggest some kind of financial distress at Online. I thought big providers weren't supposed to go deadpool. Maybe there will be a first?

I am quite worry now. I have a large number of servers with them, almost are the old ones which are cheaper than the current. If they increase the price to match with the current ones, I have a lot of workload to do.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited August 2018

willie said: Probably wise. The retroactive price increases on what must be a smallish number of old promo servers, following on an earlier increase on the regular product line when competitors were lowering prices on similar products, suggest some kind of financial distress at Online. I thought big providers weren't supposed to go deadpool. Maybe there will be a first?

I don't think this is the case. They had an extremely aggressive sales policy the last few years with some really nice innovations (kidechire opened the area for cheap small servers, something that lead to scaleway, an on-demand instant deploy of hourly billed servers) and very low prices. Probably, now that they gained a better market share, they are trying to squeeze whatever they can to the entry point market of low specs and cheap priced servers.
    They probably will fulfill any demand by increasing prices and lowering the number of new sales (aka new servers), instead of buying necessary new hardware for covering the demand and letting old customers having their promos and letting old customers having their promos.
    Even if they lose 30-40% of the LE clients, the income will remain the same by rising the price and, actually, will gonna rise because of the lower handling costs.
    Will this hurt their image to some loyal customers? Of course. But on the other hand, their prices are still cheap, so, there will be always customers.
    And they probably are pushing some of the cheap small promo servers to use instead products like scaleway.
    Corporate thinking I guess. After all, French providers are not so cheap as they used to be a couple of years before, but they are still cheap compared to many other countries...

• levnode said: I am quite worry now. I have a large number of servers with them, almost are the old ones which are cheaper than the current. If they increase the price to match with the current ones, I have a lot of workload to do.

It's what they count to. If I had a lot of services and complicated setup on my online's servers, I would have thought twice if I had to leave, or paying the more expensive price that is still not high.
    So, a lot of their clients will be pissed off, but will keep the servers because the prices elsewhere will be similar or higher and it will not worth the trouble to move.

• So, a lot of their clients will be pissed off, but will keep the servers because the prices elsewhere will be similar or higher and it will not worth the trouble to move.

I think the increase means "move before they do it again".

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@willie said:

jvnadr said: I already abandoned the ship

Its not retroactive. Thy don’t ask people to pay more for the past months.

• Vova1234Vova1234 Member, Patron Provider

They could rework billing. Remove stupidity as a cancellation until the 20th day. Make it possible to renew the server for any time and at any time. If the server does not pay, then it will simply be deleted in 3-5 days and that's all.

For reselling this data center is not suitable. Since it is necessary to collect money as a collector in people, some pay on the last day.
    Reselling is extra money in their budget, which they lowered to the construction of a new data center.

@Vova1234 said:
    They could rework billing. Remove stupidity as a cancellation until the 20th day. Make it possible to renew the server for any time and at any time. If the server does not pay, then it will simply be deleted in 3-5 days and that's all.

For reselling this data center is not suitable. Since it is necessary to collect money as a collector in people, some pay on the last day.
    Reselling is extra money in their budget, which they lowered to the construction of a new data center.

So in fact you want them to take over all your risk of doing business with your Customers ?

• Clouvider said: Its not retroactive. They don’t ask people to pay more for the past months.

Fair enough, term was ambiguous, but they raised the prices on previously sold plans and not just ones sold subsequent to the announcement. We've been around this discussion regarding other providers many times and I don't think anyone is claiming that Online is breaking laws with this increase, other than the issue of under 1 month notice which is a quibble. But, it doesn't look good, for the reasons I described.

edited August 2018

Clouvider said: So in fact you want them to take over all your risk of doing business with your Customers ?

Example, I had a client in online.net on 5 Xeon servers. He paid for 13 months on 19th, 20th, 23th of the month, and for 14 months he disappeared. Support did not want to do manual cancellation on 20th night. I paid a large bill from my pocket to servers that I did not need. I had to earn a crypto-currency in order to at least return half of the price. For this, if clients write an order for online.net, I suggest OVH. Would it be OVH then the servers would simply be deleted through non-payment and all: https://abcvg.ovh/blog/dc_ovh/30.html

@Vova1234 said:

Clouvider said: So in fact you want them to take over all your risk of doing business with your Customers ?

Example, I had a client in online.net on 5 Xeon servers. He paid for 13 months on 19th, 20th, 23th of the month, and for 14 months he disappeared. Support did not want to do manual cancellation on 20th night. I paid a large bill from my pocket to servers that I did not need. I had to earn a crypto-currency in order to at least return half of the price. For this, if clients write an order for online.net, I suggest OVH. Would it be OVH then the servers would simply be deleted through non-payment and all: https://abcvg.ovh/blog/dc_ovh/30.html

That’s your risk of doing business. Online had no idea who they are selling to and can’t recover the money. You should have good contractual provisions to protect you, and enforce like for like terms, through debt collectors if necessary.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Alternatively one could say Online's product is worse than OVH's in that respect. The renewal procedures are part of the product and OVH's is more suitable to Vova1234's use case.

Of course, but I’m seeing a similar comment against Online.net from Vova1234 again and again. It’s not exactly something to complain about; no one forced Vova to use them.

edited August 2018

Clouvider said: That’s your risk of doing business. Online had no idea who they are selling to and can’t recover the money. You should have good contractual provisions to protect you, and enforce like for like terms, through debt collectors if necessary.

In online.net I have servers, half of them are promotional which are no longer promotional.

It's just spitting on people without notice just to take and change the prices of shareware servers as did online.net. Kimsufi 2 months informed of the increase of 1 euro through anti-ddos and gave two months to renew all the necessary forward at once.

I say that if they made a cool server renew system, they would have many people who would sell their services in their countries. To them would flow free money.

Of course, but I’m seeing a similar comment against Online.net from Vova1234 again and again. It’s not exactly something to complain about; no one forced Vova to use them.

Yes, because it is an important factor. If they want their servers to be sold by other people, they should do it to make it easy for sell.

Workers of offices simply do not want to see this and think that if they increase the price, then immediately the sea of buyers will come running to them.

Thanked by 2rm_ drizbo

Vova1234 said: I say that if they made a cool server renew system, they would have many people who would sell their services in their countries. To them would flow free money.

It wouldn't be, as they would end up with a bunch of servers every month that they run for free for a few days, then keep suspended for a few days, and then another bunch of servers that they bought because they thought they were sold out, but are not after 'deleting overdue servers' thus resulting in even more kit unused (losing money) for a further number of days.

It doesn't work like that. You wouldn't do that if it was your business and your target was similar Customers.

• Clouvider said: It doesn't work like that. You wouldn't do that if it was your business and your target was similar Customers.

What do you think happens at OVH?

• NihimNihim Member
    edited August 2018

Has anyone tried the "you haven't provided a one month's notice as per your TOS" card?
    I am in the middle of nowhere with almost none mobile internet coverage and it's kinda hard to backup said server till tomorrow night.

Thanked by 1Prime404
  • mov3mov3 Member

I already cancel three servers.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited August 2018

Nihim said: it's kinda hard to backup said server till tomorrow night.

They said in the ticket reply posted above that it's an "exceptional" case, and that cancellation will be accepted till the very end of the month via ticket. And you keep it for the remainder of this month in any case.

Thanked by 1Nihim
  • Clouvider said: So in fact you want them to take over all your risk of doing business with your Customers ?

Any company will have their own policies on this field. Online.net will keep server alive for non - payment for at least 3-4 days, but you will have then to pay the whole month even if you cancel. After all, have to cancel; before the 20th.
    Compared to the French providers, OVH terminating servers for non payment one day after due day and you don't have to cancel prior, Ikoula suspends the server on the due day and deletes it after some days, again you don;t have to cancel prior.
    Most American providers terminate the server on due date and ends the contract without charging for a new month.
    Most German providers, on the other hand, are even more strict than onine.net. Hetzner and Netcup wants a cancellation notice at least one month prior the termination and they do send collect agent to demand the money if you don't pay.
    It's more on the business model they follow and the 10 days of notice from online.net is not the most strict rule out there.

Vova1234 said: They could rework billing. Remove stupidity as a cancellation until the 20th day. Make it possible to renew the server for any time and at any time. If the server does not pay, then it will simply be deleted in 3-5 days and that's all.

Servers do cost money for operation, man power etc. And the providers with low prices cannot easily afford 3-5 days in scale (aka a lot of days for unpaid services) for terminated servers. As for the price increase on a promo, it piss me too. IMO, it is a low move to rise the price ~80% without any financial excuse (rising cost of power, upgrade the server, rising cost of salaries etc.). If they did a promo, they should honor the price for as long the service is online, except if there is a serious change on the cost for this service.
    Their move is not justified and they probably did it because they have more demand than the availability, and by his cheap move they can earn much more without spending a single penny more.
    And the worst thing is that with this kind of corporate behavior, you cannot be sure that your financial plan will be valid for long or will be crashed because of an unexpected rising of the server costs.

Thanked by 2Clouvider default
  • DoktorXDoktorX Member
    edited August 2018

i think that online will now have plenty or return servers in stock after that price "correction", i'm sticking to my ks-1 for 5€ with tax for my small seedbox, although online start-2-XS have gigabit speed and 4 gb of ram insted of 2 (and 1 € bigger price) but with how online just dicide to change price cant commit to it if thay decide to increade it future

edited August 2018

Servers do cost money for operation, man power etc. And the providers with low prices cannot easily afford 3-5 days in scale (aka a lot of days for unpaid services) for terminated servers. As for the price increase on a promo, it piss me too. IMO, it is a low move to rise the price ~80% without any financial excuse (rising cost of power, upgrade the server, rising cost of salaries etc.). If they did a promo, they should honor the price for as long the service is online, except if there is a serious change on the cost for this service.

Their move is not justified and they probably did it because they have more demand than the availability, and by his cheap move they can earn much more without spending a single penny more.
    And the worst thing is that with this kind of corporate behavior, you cannot be sure that your financial plan will be valid for long or will be crashed because of an unexpected rising of the server costs.

No. They spent a lot of money building DC5. And now they return the money spent by raising prices and it is clear that they have very bad things, because this is already 3 times the prices for the year were raised.

At the beginning of the year, they raised prices and reduced the installation fee.

In the middle of the year, prices for all other servers were raised: https://hostsuki.pro/news/onlinenet-otmenili-ustanovochnyy-platezh-i-podnyali-ceny.html

Now all the promotional avoton servers made ordinary servers just changed the price.

I think and Xeon promotional will soon change the price.

Of course Vova, you know it best as you're operating such a vast physical infrastructure, oh wait... you rent.

@willie said:

Clouvider said: It doesn't work like that. You wouldn't do that if it was your business and your target was similar Customers.

What do you think happens at OVH?

Wait for it ;-). You'll mark my words together with those about recurring charges per IP (or significant one-off increase to cover the market cost). OVH is slowly but steadily moving towards sustainability in their operations and their processes have started to change for some time now.

• eKoeKo Member

Very happy with my : Dedibox XC SSD 2016