Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online.net changed the price of special server - Page 8
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Online.net changed the price of special server

Comments

• xyzxyz Member

Just got charged and LT 1701.1 still €19,99 for me... I wonder if they've just missed a spot.
    Now that Hetzner has removed bandwidth limits, if they increase the price, I'll simply move to Hetzner for similar specs and pricing.

• Gamma17Gamma17 Member
    edited October 2018

Got the mail too:
    The price of the following products will be updated starting on 2018-11-01 : * Pro-1-S-SATA, formerly known as LT DEALS 1706.1, will now be charged 34.99 € per month, tax excluded.

Ironically, 2 days before expiration of already cancelled server.
    While price changes are understandable, such ~70% price increases are bound to cause a lot of cancellations, and probably it is what they want... So that they can sell the same old HW to someone else for ~70% more money + setup fee...

• @xyz said:
    Just got charged and LT 1701.1 still €19,99 for me... I wonder if they've just missed a spot.
    Now that Hetzner has removed bandwidth limits, if they increase the price, I'll simply move to Hetzner for similar specs and pricing.

I was sweating buckets over the 1701.1 too until my 19.99 invoice came in.

looks all clear for now. Online.net has its unique use cases that I don't want to let near my Hetzner boxes. ;)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

vimalware said: until my 19.99 invoice came in.

Nobody got any change for this invoice, the increase is from November.

• @rm_ said:
    ...the increase is from November.

Have you received an increase notification for the LT 1701.1 specifically?

All posts here relating to this particular service suggest no increase [yet]. I've still not seen one for my instance and just received the October 19.99 invoice with no mention of an increase.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

cochon said: All posts here relating to this particular service suggest no increase [yet]. I've still not seen one for my instance and just received the October 19.99 invoice with no mention of an increase.

I suppose it can be similar to the 4.99 EUR dedi, see here. Not mentioned in the original E-Mail, but there's a new price for the same model in their ordering panel, and supposedly an increase is planned for the "next month" (but perhaps maybe December is meant by that).

Thanked by 1cochon
  • Shot2Shot2 Member
    edited October 2018

I contacted Online.net yesterday regarding my €4.99 C2350/500GB plan (now sold for 7.99), and they confirmed the planned price increase for November.

https://imgur.com/a/Txk0Vgy

edit: evil me also asked when the €9.99 plan (C2350/SSD or TB HDD) will see its price increase, another support guy replied along the lines of "I am not at liberty to comment on future pricing schemes".

• im already moving my stuff over to hetzner, online can suck a duck

Thanked by 1PINGAPAC
  • xrzxrz Member

50 servers moved from online to hetzner, long waited to do this :D FU online FU online :D

• I'd like to know if this will mean higher network quality in the future. Or if that's just gonna mean same stuff, but with more profits for them.

• Same stuff, but more servers in more datacenters. They grow in area, not in quality.

• xrzxrz Member

online.net is always price up but quality down :D :D

• xyzxyz Member

cochon said: Have you received an increase notification for the LT 1701.1 specifically?

No email notification, and is still listed as €19.99 in my account:

• @xyz said:

cochon said: Have you received an increase notification for the LT 1701.1 specifically?

No email notification, and is still listed as €19.99 in my account:

I think they're doing a staggered increase. Might hit you next month.

• maybe they increase it to give discount on black friday. LoL

Thanked by 2gol3m ariq01
  • DrCornFlakes said: Regardless, it will be hard to earn my trust in online.net again...

see you at their next flash sale then...

• Falzo said: see you at their next flash sale then...

Don't think so.

Considering recent events, and online.net new server lineup (those are some expensive servers), I think they decided to give up on the promo-flash-sale-lowend-everycentcounts market... just as OVH (the brand) did sometime ago.

Well, only time will tell.

• When was the last big flash sale? (not their "introductory price 4.99 instead of 7.99 for the first two months" sale) A year ago? No BlackFriday '17, IIRC.

• datanoisedatanoise Member
    edited October 2018

Yeah I doubt they'll have other interesting sales. And even if they have you'd have to know that your pricing can increase anytime. Maybe they have enough demand for higher end servers & scaleway and they "need" to get rid of the cheaper deals. That saves them rackspace, support tickets...

Makes sense as their goal isn't to offer cheap servers but to generate profit: better get rid of the cheapos and fill their DCs with customers who actually make them earn money, rather than having to grow a lot (opening new DCs to fill those with cheap servers) while not earning much.

They used the cheap offering as a way to get known widely. Now they can rest and enjoy the "real customers"...

• Falzo said: see you at their next flash sale then...

Do you remember the last flash sale? It's more than a year ago, so I think it was the last one.

• @levnode said:

Falzo said: see you at their next flash sale then...

Do you remember the last flash sale? It's more than a year ago, so I think it was the last one.

not really remembering to be honest. I had a limited something for over two years but never jumped on it with the sales afterwards. also already have given up on them before the current price raises (coincidence)

still you'll see people even jump on the 'cheap' oneprovider sales every time and complain afterwards about the shitshow. same will happen with online.net if they come up with new cheap stuff - unless they really become successor of OVH in terms of crappy sales (non-recurring 20% discount offers etc.)

but I also think for serious business their decision makes perfect sense after all. they want and need to make margin anyway. while you can undercut the market for just so long, no business really want to have tons of customers which they probably even have to subsidize instead of making money out of it.

so what's better then to run out the old boxes, no need for hardware replacements but instead free up space in the DC for new gear. also get rid of the cheapskates congesting the lines with all that torrent and streaming stuff or have them at least pay more for it.

however I am also cheapskate and luckily have most of my business in germany. hetznered.

• Falzo said: but I also think for serious business their decision makes perfect sense after all.

Indeed it is very common for companies to start out with low prices before raising them, especially in an upselling process (Apple, Amazon,..).

But this is slightly different. A 75% increase over night and this attitude "We offer the best value, where else would you go?"... harsh.

Thanked by 1levnode
  • gol3m said: Indeed it is very common for companies to start out with low prices before raising them, especially in an upselling process (Apple, Amazon,..).

But this is slightly different. A 75% increase over night and this attitude "We offer the best value, where else would you go?"... harsh.

I am seriously thinking about moving. However, moving ~80 servers is not really easy :(.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@levnode said:

gol3m said: Indeed it is very common for companies to start out with low prices before raising them, especially in an upselling process (Apple, Amazon,..).

I am seriously thinking about moving. However, moving ~80 servers is not really easy :(.

Then move them somewhere you can stay for longer. :-)

• So... online.net will have some BlackFriday deals.

The replies... :D

Strangely, my only server with them, according to some of the previous staff feedback, was supposed to increase its price somewhere between October and November.
    Nope. It's still at the same price.

Enough backlash?

• @DrCornFlakes said:
    Nope. It's still at the same price.

What model?

• I ditched online.net altogether and only have an active VPS at their scaleway brand. The rest is moved to Hetzner..

I really wish their deals suck this year so im not tempted to get one...

• bacloudbacloud Member, Patron Provider

@Tripleflix said:
    I ditched online.net altogether and only have an active VPS at their scaleway brand. The rest is moved to Hetzner..

I really wish their deals suck this year so im not tempted to get one...

And after Hetzner prices increase, you will move your servers to another provider again?

Thanked by 2Clouvider eol
    • 20 euro to 25 euro for the price of Pro-1-S-15K, formerly known as Dedibox Limited 1215.
    • 30 euro to 37 euro for Pro-2-M-SSD, formerly known as Dedibox Limited 3915.

I just noticed it when I saw this thread. fk