Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's up with Vultr? It's selling out like crazy right now - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's up with Vultr? It's selling out like crazy right now

Comments

• lionlion Member
    edited April 2018

@emgh said:

@donli said:

@emgh said:

Who dosen't have an account yet?

The ~ 360,000 people born each day.

"Children under the age of 13 are not authorized to access or use our services without the direct involvement of a parent or legal guardian."

The ~ 360,000 people that turn 13 years old each day. (If they didn't die :s)

• emghemgh Member

@lion said:

@emgh said:

@donli said:

@emgh said:

Who dosen't have an account yet?

The ~ 360,000 people born each day.

"Children under the age of 13 are not authorized to access or use our services without the direct involvement of a parent or legal guardian."

The ~ 360,000 people that turn 13 years old each day. (If they didn't die :s)

Exactly,

If they didn't die

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

WOW

If you didn't manage to die before 13, remember you can always change your legal name, get new IDs and credit cards, and get another Vultr account.

Thanked by 3Ole_Juul lion mrTom
  • pikepike Veteran

@rm_ said:
    WOW

If you didn't manage to die before 13

This is a serious problem in some countries, not funny at all.

• @FHR said:

@pullangcubo said:

@sureiam said:
    The $2.50 plan was indeed a bait and switch but it served a purpose in the Miami and NJ locations. It was a good temporary VPS (although noticeably less reliable in terms of network connectivity than the $5+ plans)

I'm curious about this...are their $2.50 plans really subpar perfomance- and reliability-wise compared to their "more legit" siblings ($5 plans and up)?

Not really. I'm using the $2.5 plan in NYC to announce some IP ranges via BGP. Session has been up since 2018-02-25, so 2 months without any network or uptime hiccup.

I had a dis-similar experience running a site off the Miami location $2.5 vs the LA $5. I guess that could just be Miami location though. I may have over-speculated on that one.

@dev_vps said:
    In stock for $2.5 VPS for New York/NJ and Miami locations.

@DaveA said:
    Locations are showing sold out due to some IPv4 constraints, not VC2 capacity.

Apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused and thank you for your understanding.

That's good to know, lack of IPv4 is much easier to resolve than capacity. Thanks for clarifying that for us. Guess we'll just have to be a little more patient.

• bapbap Member

Please stop talking about their $2.50 plan... Its just a myth... ;(

• Its due to the free credits, they were giving $30 free credit to everyone who signed up, so you can expect them to be sold out...

• donlidonli Member
    edited April 2018

@bap said:

They exist (in NJ and Miami) they just appear at rare times (like full moons maybe).

Are they rarer than BuyVM stock? I'm not sure.

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited April 2018

@bap said:

I just signed up on $2.50 plan from NJ location. For me, it could be anything but myth.

• sinsin Member
    edited April 2018

donli said: They exist (in NJ and Miami) they just appear at rare times

I see them available all of the time, when they're out of stock just keep reloading the page every now and then and you can easily snag one.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member

@sin said:

donli said: They exist (in NJ and Miami) they just appear at rare times

I see them available all of the time, when they're out of stock just keep reloading the page every now and then and you can easily snag one.

Apart from when everything is sold out, I’ve never seen them sold out in Miami & NJ. And I use Vultr a lot.

However I often just look at the Europe locations.

Thanked by 1sin
  • Wow.

• @Harsh223 said:
    Its due to the free credits, they were giving $30 free credit to everyone who signed up, so you can expect them to be sold out...

where is the promo code?
    I only get $25

• Nobody mentioned it, but I don't see vultr's ip range in the list of ip's that russia just recently banned. google, amazon, DO, azure, ovh, etc. But not vultr. I know we had an offical statement by vultr in here about ip range availability, but I wonder if some russian demand has also effected the supply and demand.

• I wondered the same thing but the simplest explanation is that their $25 offer has been abused by people opening many multiple accounts (most likely by the Chinese market by the looks of the locations that have been used up) and now they've run out of IPs (coastal cities and Europe).

I don't understand why they don't lock these offers to regions with the least abuse.

• @sureiam said:
    I wondered the same thing but the simplest explanation is that their $25 offer has been abused by people opening many multiple accounts (most likely by the Chinese market by the looks of the locations that have been used up) and now they've run out of IPs (coastal cities and Europe).

I don't understand why they don't lock these offers to regions with the least abuse.

Gee that's a big assumption to make

• JunJun Member

sureiam said: I wondered the same thing but the simplest explanation is that their $25 offer has been abused by people opening many multiple accounts (most likely by the Chinese market by the looks of the locations that have been used up) and now they've run out of IPs (coastal cities and Europe).

I guess they didn't have many $2.5 unit stocks available on non-US regions in first place. The cost of any Internet infrastructure in US is dirt cheap compared to any other regions in the world, making $2.5/mo unit profitable. For instance, in some Asian countries, a single IP itself costs $2.5/mo, making it totally impossible to run a profitable $2.5/mo VPS. US invented the Internet and it is unfair to think of its cost in all other countries to be the same. MIT owns the whole 18.0.0.0/9
    , you know ¯_(ツ)_/¯.

• omelasomelas Member
    edited April 2018

@Jun said:

sureiam said: I wondered the same thing but the simplest explanation is that their $25 offer has been abused by people opening many multiple accounts (most likely by the Chinese market by the looks of the locations that have been used up) and now they've run out of IPs (coastal cities and Europe).

I guess they didn't have many $2.5 unit stocks available on non-US regions in first place. The cost of any Internet infrastructure in US is dirt cheap compared to any other regions in the world, making $2.5/mo unit profitable. For instance, in some Asian countries, a single IP itself costs $2.5/mo, making it totally impossible to run a profitable $2.5/mo VPS. US invented the Internet and it is unfair to think of its cost in all other countries to be the same. MIT owns the whole 18.0.0.0/9
    , you know ¯_(ツ)_/¯.

Wasn't EU locations tend to be cheaper than US servers?

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

@omelas said:

@Jun said:

, you know ¯_(ツ)_/¯.

Wasn't EU locations tend to be cheaper than US servers?

US has cheaper electricity. IIRC the datacenter electricity price difference is around 50% on average.

• sureiamsureiam Member
    edited April 2018

@Jun said:

sureiam said: I wondered the same thing but the simplest explanation is that their $25 offer has been abused by people opening many multiple aaccounts.

, you know ¯_(ツ)_/¯.

Not sure why everyone is hung up on the $2.5 offer. Even at $25 that's 5 months of free service with the $5 offer assuming they don't just sign up many times over and just setup many boxes. Even worse perhaps they setup VPNs and resold them. Wouldn't surprise me.

@corbpie ssaid
    Gee that's a big assumption to make

Is it though? I feel like you've been around here long enough to know what most providers with issues complain about when they run a promo... "Was reposted on a (certain country) website"

I'm actually disappointed in Vultr for not seeing the potential of this happening. With that said I am enjoying my free credit and have decided to use their services once my credit is over. So it's not a bad idea but they definitely need to vet their sign up process in some way!

edited April 2018

sureiam said: Not sure why everyone is hung up on the $2.5 offer.

Because for $5 you might as well just use their competitors such as Linode or DigitalOcean, which are much more recognized and well-regarded for quality and stability (especially Linode).

• emghemgh Member
    edited April 2018

Since Vultr seems to not be very avaliable: I'm in need to spin up at least 20 windows vpses for 1-2 hours. I need a Vultr alternative.

Requirements:

• Hourly billing
    • Windows
    • No limit of maximum less than 20 servers

Price dosen't really matter since it's hourly. For me Vultr has been great since I haven't found any alternative that match my requirements, but I need to spin up these today.

• emghemgh Member

Really fucking interesting how their "IP issues" only appears on bigger plans.
    https://i.imgur.com/N9wjOqA.png

• donlidonli Member
    edited April 2018

@emgh said:
    Since Vultr seems to not be very avaliable: I'm in need to spin up at least 20 windows vpses for 1-2 hours. I need a Vultr alternative

Google cloud: https://cloud.google.com/windows/

Amazon AWS: https://aws.amazon.com/windows/

Thanked by 1emgh
  • I wonder why they don't have an ipv6-only option like scaleway has. I do have a lot of use cases where ipv4 isn't needed at all (for example when using cloudflare in front of server)

• LeeLee Veteran

rm_ said: well-regarded for quality and stability (especially Linode).

I have been with Linode for a long time but well-regarded for quality and stability, Nah, not really.

Lee said: I have been with Linode for a long time but well-regarded for quality and stability, Nah, not really.

Then I guess you haven't been with Vultr long enough to compare.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited April 2018

rm_ said: Then I guess you haven't been with Vultr long enough to compare.

Actually, I think I have, DO since 2013, Linode since 2007, Vultr since 2014 and in that time they have been more reliable than Linode, on a par with DO.

Linode's twelve days of crisis on top of the hacks in recent years. Then add on that I have opened more tickets at Linode than Vultr or DO about performance (since 2014) and yeah, I would say I am as qualified as any customer of all three services to give that unbiased view.

Appreciating that experiences differ from client to client depending on what you do with the Service however on comparative use across all three, DO is the best, then Vultr and now Linode.

Being with Linode for so long I do want them to be better, if you check back I have been a strong advocate of Linode, today they are just ok, nothing more.

• Use DO, Vultr and Linode for a long time too but this isn't about reliability (uptime). Each I use for their respective strengths for my intended usage scenarios. But original poster is concerned with consistency/availability of VPS plans when required. Availability of plans wise, Linode and DO have Vultr beat with that regards.

My preference is Linode over DO due better performing VPSes (excluding DO optimised droplets) and due to snapshot/backup and cross-datacenter data migration speed ( Linode is at least 4x to 10x times faster transfer speed than DO).

I benchmark every VPS/server I ever use and more often Linode comes out on top compared to Vultr and Linode (some benchmarks get posted on my forums). But depends on how you use the VPS I guess.

Granted I haven't tried out DO optimized droplets (with Xeon Platinum 8168 or E5 2697Av4) or new Linode Xeon Gold 6148 and AMD EPYC 7501 based VPSes yet. Something I plan to compare and test later on.

Vultr bare metal servers on the other hand were a lovely experience being able to utilise the 10Gbps networking made benchmark testing alot of fun pushing a single E3-1270v6 server to handle up to 60,000-350,000 concurrent nginx connections https://community.centminmod.com/threads/vultr-60-discount-free-100-credit-test-drive-vultr-bare-metal-instances.13744/

@emgh said:
    Since Vultr seems to not be very avaliable: I'm in need to spin up at least 20 windows vpses for 1-2 hours. I need a Vultr alternative.

Requirements:

• Hourly billing
    • Windows
    • No limit of maximum less than 20 servers

Price dosen't really matter since it's hourly. For me Vultr has been great since I haven't found any alternative that match my requirements, but I need to spin up these today.

As discussed give both DigitalOcean std or optimised droplets and Linode a spin and see which is mored suited both have APIs which make spinning up instances easier.

Any reason it needs to be 20 servers ? If it's cpu intensive, maybe Vultr bare metal servers or even Packet.net bare metal servers would be more suited both offer hourly billing though at much higher pricing. However, Packet has spot pricing like AWS so you can time it right to get bare metal server usage at a very heavily discounted price which is as low as US$0.08/hr to US$0.20/hr as well which is what I do and can end up cheaper to use if you need cpu intensive task handling.

I also posted Packet.net bare metal benchmarks at https://community.centminmod.com/threads/packet-net-bare-metal-cloud-amd-epyc-7401p-review-benchmarks.14097/

Thanked by 1pullangcubo

Any reason it needs to be 20 servers ?

SHOES

Thanked by 1Lee