Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's up with Vultr? It's selling out like crazy right now
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's up with Vultr? It's selling out like crazy right now

I've been testing out Vultr and have been quite impressed. Don't need it for everything but definitely nice to consider.

However their locations are selling out like crazy right now. I just literally watched 3 locations sell out within the past 2 hours.

LA, Miami, NJ, Singapore, Amserdam, Toyoko, London, Paris, Frankfurt, and Sydney. All showing completely sold out.

Makes one very hesitant to consider them for any business purposes. You come back and they are sold out, you can't deploy and your in tight spot.

Anyone have experience with Linode? Are they also selling out like this?

Comments

• emghemgh Member

Posted this in the cest pit. No one seemed to care, I guess it’s just us that use Vultr at a regular basis that notices this.

• donlidonli Member

Which plan(s) did you see sell out?

• emghemgh Member

@donli said:
    Which plan(s) did you see sell out?

Sold out, all plans. Their VPS range.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2018

This also exposes their $2.50 plan "sold out" scam. When it's actually sold out in the two locations it exists in, it disappears from the list entirely, rather than getting grayed out like in all other locations. Which shows that the grayed out thing is just a cosmetic element on the website, not actually linked to stock or lack thereof.

• The $2.50 plan was indeed a bait and switch but it served a purpose in the Miami and NJ locations. It was a good temporary VPS (although noticeably less reliable in terms of network connectivity than the $5+ plans)

But now all plans in the locations I posted above are showing sold out

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

rm_ said: This also exposes their $2.50 plan "sold out" scam.

Before I even opened this thread, I knew you'd be here complaining about that ;-)

• sinsin Member

Yeah I went to deploy a Chicago VPS a couple of days ago and practically all their US locations were sold out, I eventually snagged one the next day but I noticed a lot of their locations keep going out of stock still.

• Earlier this month i was noticed this, but after 1 or 2 hours i refresh the and voila there is stock

• Well, there is 6 locations available right now for deployment in the US.

• So it seems to vary... A LOT. They just pop in and out. Makes me think these nodes are running at essentially capacity.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@sureiam said:
    So it seems to vary... A LOT. They just pop in and out. Makes me think these nodes are running at essentially capacity.

It's that BuyVM effect. If stock is limited, then people will circle like vultures and jump on the opportunity to snatch up a VPS or two (whether they need it or not), which in turn drives up the demand even higher.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Which works too well among LET crowd.

• Vultr offer 33usd free credit weeks ago so...

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

deank said: Which works too well among LET crowd.

I suspect LET is .0001% of Vultr's market, and probably the least desirable part. Oh boy, another customer who wants one $2.50 VM and is going to open ten support tickets asking about why he can't get one in Singapore, and wants to pay with UltraPrivacyCoin...

• donlidonli Member

@raindog308 said:

deank said: Which works too well among LET crowd.

I suspect LET is .0001% of Vultr's market, and probably the least desirable part. Oh boy, another customer who wants one $2.50 VM and is going to open ten support tickets asking about why he can't get one in Singapore, and wants to pay with UltraPrivacyCoin...

Yeah Vultr want's Digital Ocean and Linode's customers not BuyVM's.

• @sureiam said:
    The $2.50 plan was indeed a bait and switch but it served a purpose in the Miami and NJ locations. It was a good temporary VPS (although noticeably less reliable in terms of network connectivity than the $5+ plans)

I'm curious about this...are their $2.50 plans really subpar perfomance- and reliability-wise compared to their "more legit" siblings ($5 plans and up)?

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

rm_ said: scam

You still on it? Eh.

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

@pullangcubo said:

@sureiam said:
    The $2.50 plan was indeed a bait and switch but it served a purpose in the Miami and NJ locations. It was a good temporary VPS (although noticeably less reliable in terms of network connectivity than the $5+ plans)

I'm curious about this...are their $2.50 plans really subpar perfomance- and reliability-wise compared to their "more legit" siblings ($5 plans and up)?

Not really. I'm using the $2.5 plan in NYC to announce some IP ranges via BGP. Session has been up since 2018-02-25, so 2 months without any network or uptime hiccup.

Thanked by 1pullangcubo
  • elliotc said: Vultr offer 33usd free credit weeks ago so...

Could you share where to get it? Thanks.

• Would they not put a halt to orders to do some updates and re configs?

• sureiam said: However their locations are selling out like crazy right now. I just literally watched 3 locations sell out within the past 2 hours.

LA, Miami, NJ, Singapore, Amserdam, Toyoko, London, Paris, Frankfurt, and Sydney. All showing completely sold out.

Makes one very hesitant to consider them for any business purposes. You come back and they are sold out, you can't deploy and your in tight spot.

Anyone have experience with Linode? Are they also selling out like this?

Well there's a difference between

• Selling out + adding more adequate capacity versus
    • Selling out + not adding more adequate capacity

The latter, means you're more likely waiting on capacity to be freed up on existing vps nodes when Vultr users destroy the temp vps instances and probably what you're seeing with Vultr right now.

Maybe high rate of vps churn/spinup/destroy at Vultr so they justify not adding as much additional capacity ? I am just making assumptions though as I assume if it's real consistent growth/demand, then there would be some form of pattern to growth that Vultr can work with to plan more adequate capacity eventually.

I use Vultr, DO and Linode and I have no such issues with Linode for VPS itself

• In stock for $2.5 VPS for New York/NJ and Miami locations.

• DaveADaveA Member

Locations are showing sold out due to some IPv4 constraints, not VC2 capacity.

Our system reserves an amount of IP's to allow customers to burst and some customers may see sold out from time to time while trying to deploy a new server.

Unfortunately the IPv4 acquisition process has taken longer than usual. We've adjusted our capacity planning and acquired a large amount of IPv4 space, and will continue to acquire IPv4 address space on a rolling basis to prevent this from reoccurring.

We anticipate the ARIN/RIPE/APNIC transfers to be completed in the coming days.

Apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused and thank you for your understanding.

• Thanks @DaveA for the clarification - IPv4 !

Amazing how some folks have so many unused IPv4s though - MIT had at one time 16 million IPv4 addresses of which 14 million were unused https://www.networkworld.com/article/3191503/internet/mit-selling-8-million-coveted-ipv4-addresses-amazon-a-buyer.html !

• @eva2000 said:
    Thanks @DaveA for the clarification - IPv4 !

Amazing how some folks have so many unused IPv4s though - MIT had at one time 16 million IPv4 addresses of which 14 million were unused https://www.networkworld.com/article/3191503/internet/mit-selling-8-million-coveted-ipv4-addresses-amazon-a-buyer.html !

What amazes me more is that they somehow managed to use 2 million of that.

• teamacc said: What amazes me more is that they somehow managed to use 2 million of that.

Yes now that you mention it !

• donlidonli Member
    edited April 2018

@greattomeetyou said:

elliotc said: Vultr offer 33usd free credit weeks ago so...

Don't know where they got the $33 credit from, but the $25 credit for new users (must be used within 1 year) is still available:

https://www.vultr.com/promo25b

Thanked by 1sureiam
  • emghemgh Member

@donli said:

@greattomeetyou said:

elliotc said: Vultr offer 33usd free credit weeks ago so...

Don't know where they got the $33 credit from, but the $25 credit (must be used within 1 year) is still available:

https://www.vultr.com/promo25b

Who dosen't have an account yet?

• donlidonli Member

@emgh said:

The ~ 360,000 people born each day.

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • emghemgh Member

@donli said:

@emgh said:

The ~ 360,000 people born each day.

"Children under the age of 13 are not authorized to access or use our services without the direct involvement of a parent or legal guardian."