Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's up with Vultr? It's selling out like crazy right now - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's up with Vultr? It's selling out like crazy right now

13»

Comments

• emghemgh Member

@rm_ said:

Any reason it needs to be 20 servers ?

SHOES

No, I need to start different instances of browsers though, I guess IP matters for shoes, it dosen’t for me. Also, I need to do this around two times per week, shoe drops aren’t that often. For obvious reasons I can’t say what I’m doing since it would make what I’m doing worthless.

• @rm_ said:

sureiam said: Not sure why everyone is hung up on the $2.5 offer.

Because for $5 you might as well just use their competitors such as Linode or DigitalOcean, which are much more recognized and well-regarded for quality and stability (especially Linode).

Linode is lacking in location options though.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2018

sureiam said: Linode is lacking in location options though.

Linode matches all of the major regions of Vultr: Europe, US and APAC. What it only misses is Australia.

• Thanks for that valuable insight guys..

Can DO or linode spin up the same snapshot on different datacenter locations without having to change IP addresses or drive mappings like Vultr can?

• @rm_ said:

sureiam said: Linode is lacking in location options though.

Linode matches all of the major regions of Vultr: Europe, US and APAC. What it only misses is Australia.

Right I missed the speed test area. Thought it was only California and NJ.

https://www.linode.com/speedtest

It would be nice if they added Chicago area and Seattle I suppose but not too big of a deal I guess.

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2018

emgh said: No, I need to start different instances of browsers

Get a Linux server, install XFCE and Firefox, make it a snapshot. Create 20 instances from that snapshot. You can use Scaleway for this or really any cloud provider.

Problem solved.

• sureiam said: It would be nice if they added Chicago area and Seattle I suppose but not too big of a deal I guess.

For Chicago check out https://www.upcloud.com/

sureiam said: Can DO or linode spin up the same snapshot on different datacenter locations without having to change IP addresses or drive mappings like Vultr can?

Don't think they can. I know Linode has a networker help which auto reconfigures the Linode VPS to make it easier when IPs change https://linode.com/docs/platform/network-helper/ so there's no reconfiguration needed other than updating domain DNS records which you can probably script via DNS provider's API

Network Helper automatically deposits a static networking configuration in to your Linode at boot. Thanks to Network Helper, you don’t have to worry about altering your network configuration when you:

• Deploy a Linode
    • Add a public or private IPv4 address
    • Restore from a backup
    • Deploy from an Linode Images template
    • Migrate your Linode to a new data center
    • Clone from another Linode

But if you want to retain your existing IP, maybe need to ask Linode support if that's possible for moving between data center regions. I know within same data center region, if you request support to migrate you to a different vps node, you retain your existing IP.

• Span up a VM in Frankfurt yesterday, checked whois of the IP it got assigned and it was a /24 out of a - in 2007 - to Choopa allocated Level3 owned block (I've not seen that old prefixes in use on their platform before). I really doubt @DaveA made that shortage on IPs up.

• sinsin Member
    edited May 2018

florianb said: Choopa allocated Level3 owned block

Yeah I was spinning up some vms today and I'm getting some Level3 IPs I haven't seen before....I like it though because I got a nice short looking IP now :)

• sureiamsureiam Member

Thanks for the info @eva2000

In regards to new vultr IPs I've noticed the same. Quite nice.

• @sureiam said:

@Jun said:

sureiam said: I wondered the same thing but the simplest explanation is that their $25 offer has been abused by people opening many multiple aaccounts.

I don't understand why they don't lock these offers to regions with the least abuse.

Maybe bcoz there's little abuse?

I guess they didn't have many $2.5 unit stocks available on non-US regions in first place. The cost of any Internet infrastructure in US is dirt cheap compared to any other regions in the world, making $2.5/mo unit profitable. For instance, in some Asian countries, a single IP itself costs $2.5/mo, making it totally impossible to run a profitable $2.5/mo VPS. US invented the Internet and it is unfair to think of its cost in all other countries to be the same. MIT owns the whole 18.0.0.0/9
    , you know ¯_(ツ)_/¯.

Sounds about right, imperialists.

Not sure why everyone is hung up on the $2.5 offer. Even at $25 that's 5 months of free service with the $5 offer assuming they don't just sign up many times over and just setup many boxes. Even worse perhaps they setup VPNs and resold them. Wouldn't surprise me.

@corbpie ssaid
    Gee that's a big assumption to make

Is it though? I feel like you've been around here long enough to know what most providers with issues complain about when they run a promo... "Was reposted on a (certain country) website"

Next thing we'll be hearing on CNN, "Chinese aggression against the US, they took all our IPv4's", will make a change from "Russian aggression against the US, they block all our IPv4's

I'm actually disappointed in Vultr for not seeing the potential of this happening. With that said I am enjoying my free credit and have decided to use their services once my credit is over. So it's not a bad idea but they definitely need to vet their sign up process in some way!

They do vet, you have to credit the account by paypal or link it to your credit card.

• Who would be a good provider to go with, in the UK, who:

a. Has great performance
    b. Readily available
    c. Good uptime

Looking to spend up to $40 a month for 4GB ram

• ZareZare Member, Host Rep

These guys use our infrastructure and have UK KVM - https://www.routerhosting.com/

• v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider

I'm very happy with Linode.com using them for 2+ years now

• endritendrit Member

Their 2.50 plan is still active, just got one the other day

• realbusinessrealbusiness Member
    edited May 2018

@v3ng said:

How do you find them compared to Vultr? Do you use London location?

• v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider

@realbusiness said:

@v3ng said:

How do you find them compared to Vultr? Do you use London location?

I never used Vultr in production, because you cant tell if they use raid or not.
    My Linode instances are all in Frankfurt.