Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VortexNode will no longer honor any of your century deals
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VortexNode will no longer honor any of your century deals

FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
edited November 2017 in Providers
**Vortexnode Brand and Product Changes**

Hello Andrew,

Thank you for being a loyal Vortexnode customer.  It is customers like you that make us proud of the business we have built together.

Over the past year we have grown our customer base quite a bit adding an average of more than a hundred customers per month!  While  this is a great achievement, we have seen the pace of this growth exceed our capacity particularly as we have grown our managed services businesses Linovus.hosting and Linovus.ca.

Many of our customers joined us during deep sales periods like Black Friday, End of Year and our January sales pushes.  Over 50% of those customers signed up and have received annual services.  We find that while the service has been reliable we have not had the level of customer service we would have liked and our customers deserve.  This coupled with inflationary pricing changes and other pricing changed with our suppliers have made us have to rethink our strategy for 2018.   

We have decided to move out of the budget hosting space and focus on cloud and managed hosting solutions.  As a result the following changes are effective immediately.

We will not be renewing any budget services at the end of term or by the end of November 2017.  
We will no longer be offering annual plans for our services.  To keep your business we need to earn it and to have the staff to support it we need to charge more than we do today.  
Deep discounted promos like “Deal of the Century” and “2016 Xmas” will not be honored in our managed offering.  In many cases this may mean multiples of your promotional pricing.
Our commitment to you is to maintain a high level of uptime in accordance with our SLA.
Our commitment to you is to have better email, chat and ticket coverage 24/7

We understand that this may make you look to other providers that are more suitable for the price point you are looking for and we will do whatever we can to help you make a seamless migration if you do decide to move.  We hope that the addition of staff and a focus on quality will be sufficient for you to stay and sign up with Linovus.hosting.  

As a result of the items above, all budget pricing will be changed and annual invoice renewals at the existing deep discount will be cancelled.

I wish you all an excellent conclusion to 2017 and the best in 2018.  

Andre Allen
President & CEO
Linovus Holdings Inc.  

Who expected this to happen? Obviously, everyone.

TL;DR:

• VortexNode tries to soften the blow saying "we need to improve customer service, so we will be cancelling all annual virtual servers, effective immediately"

• All budget services will end by the end of November

• Scam of the Century (tm)

Comments

• That’s not tanking.

• For fucks' sake @Nekki, gotta make my life so difficult. Happy now?

• I’m never truly happy, but I am slightly less irritable, so thank you.

• I love how they wrote the first part to make it seem like they just want to focus on you the customer and providing amazing customer service that YOU DESERVE!

and then in the next part they basically say fuck off, pack up your shit and move - they don't even try to give you an incentive to stay LOL

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Well, we've seen this before. Take in large customers with loss-leaders and then increase the price, hoping some of them will take the new less-awesome deal.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I didn't expect it. I expected crash and burn, not a tiny tire puncture that takes another six months to turn into a disaster.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@jarland said:
    I didn't expect it. I expected crash and burn, not a tiny tire puncture that takes another six months to turn into a disaster.

Not even drama is free these days.

Thanked by 2netomx lsd
  • @Clouvider said:

@jarland said:

Especially from you.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@WSS said:

@Clouvider said:

@jarland said:

Especially from you.

>

Thanked by 1WSS
  • people still have services with VN?

• @hzr

If you're on crack, or are just plain stupid, then yes, some people are still with VN.

• Or too busy to cancel it. I dont even know if the VPS was even provided :). Let me check that out Kappa.

@FlamesRunner said:
    @hzr

If you're on crack, or are just plain stupid, then yes, some people are still with VN.

• hzrhzr Member
    edited November 2017

i dropped all of mine after the first big fuckup and lie. was nice for a while though.

• I actually have had 2 yearly VPS with them.

• At one point I had 3 VPS with them, and various resold CC hardware.

• Got similar message. Oh yes, I had a dormant low-traffic hosting account at them.

I must admit, it was most nicely worded "Pay us real price for hosting or GTFO" type of message I ever got from hosters.

• Ugh.. Migration sucks.. Sorry to all those affected

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@jarland said:

Its rare, but it does happen.

Some providers are immortal.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

FlamesRunner said: @hzr

Why do other people being still with VN depends on @hzr being on crack or stupid? :O

• @rm_ Microsoft mentality?

Thanked by 1bugrakoc
  • I have their 2016 Xmas deal. Nothing important hosted there, but I did learn a lot about using lighttpd webserver & grav cms. Not surprised at their email, I was kind of expecting that I would not be allowed to renew. Atleast, I am happy I relocated my VPS to Toronto from Atlanta and got to use it for a bit longer.

• FlamesRunner said:

All budget services will end by the end of November

Are you sure of this? The email said "We will not be renewing any budget services at the end of term or by the end of November 2017." I.e. no renewals but I had a hard time figuring out if existing annual plans would be shut down in November.

I have an xmas special that expires in January so I tried opening a VN ticket asking if that meant it would keep running til January, but got some kind of error message when I clicked save. Meh.

I gotta say it was a good deal and worked pretty well, so it was nice while it lasted.

• @willie

It was assumed on my end due to the nature of the email. I may be wrong though, so be sure to tell me if you do get a response.

• My attempt to open a ticket didn't work, so I don't think it went in.

• FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited November 2017

Excerpt from my chat with them:

[19:07] Andrew H.: Hi there, I just got the pricing change email -- is shared hosting affected?
    [19:07] Shane: Unfortunately yes it is.
    [19:08] Andrew H.: Ah -- also, will the servers be honored until the end of the billing period?
    [19:08] Shane: No, we will be shutting down budget services by Nov 28th.
    [19:08] Shane: If you have unused time, please submit a ticket to this affect.

@willie

Tough luck.

Thanked by 2Aluminat datanoise
  • MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@FlamesRunner said: Tough luck.

Damn, that blows. I guarantee that they won't give refunds for any unused time either on the yearly contracts. Probably just some credits for their overpriced managed services.

• Well, that's incredibly shitty.

Thanked by 2netomx FrankZ
  • @MasonR @WSS

Next part:

[19:09] Andrew H.: I have a credit in my account. May I receive a refund on this?
    [19:09] Shane: Credits are non refundable. You can however use this credit on our new shared hosting service if you wish.

Thanked by 3MasonR WSS FrankZ
  • @FlamesRunner said:

Tough luck.

Yeah that sucks.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@FlamesRunner said:
    @MasonR @WSS

Next part:

> [19:09]   Andrew H.: I have a credit in my account. May I receive a refund on this?
    > [19:09]   Shane: Credits are non refundable. You can however use this credit on our new shared hosting service if you wish.
    > 

But did you ask if they would be refunding the remaining time you paid for, it is unfair of them to convert that into credit and then say credit is none refundable?