Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VortexNode will no longer honor any of your century deals - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VortexNode will no longer honor any of your century deals

Comments

• Asshats, I saw this too and was going to post a thread but just canceled.
    Note that they sent invoices for my services at the recurring discount price and then sent this email afterwards, i was going to renew but glad i didn't as they will just cancel your service and credit you for the added funds.......SCAM

Well glad they continue the level of service they are known for.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited November 2017

@carcosa said:
    Asshats, I saw this too and was going to post a thread but just canceled.
    Note that they sent invoices for my services at the recurring discount price and then sent this email afterwards, i was going to renew but glad i didn't as they will just cancel your service and credit you for the added funds.......SCAM

Were you sure you wanted to renew? Did you read the invoice first to see if services from invoice are the same you currently have? Always read the invoice before you pay, so you know what you pay for.

• @default said:

@carcosa said:
    Asshats, I saw this too and was going to post a thread but just canceled.

Were you sure you wanted to renew? Did you read the invoice first to see if services from invoice are the same you currently have? Always read the invoice before you pay, so you know what you pay for.

Did you actually read his post? Are you sure you read his post? What did it say in his post? Always read the post before you reply, so you know what you are suggesting.

• williewillie Member
    edited November 2017

AnthonySmith said: But did you ask if they would be refunding the remaining time you paid for, it is unfair of them to convert that into credit and then say credit is none refundable?

If it's non refundable then I'd expect them to actually deliver the product that they sold me (i.e. keep the server running til the end of the billing period) instead of shutting it down early with "credit" toward a much more expensive version of the same product. Even Quadranet/Crissic kept existing plans running for crying out loud.

Collecting advance payment for a 1 year plan and then jacking up the price in the middle doesn't sound kosher. It's more forgiveable if they deadpool outright than keeping operating but shutting down prepaid services.

In my case it's a $10/y plan that expires in January so IDGAF, but for others there might be more pain involved.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

Time for a class action lawsuit.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited November 2017

@deank said:
    Time for a class action lawsuit.

In my case they did honor their part of agreement and supplied a mediocre VPS service as expected since Cyber Monday 2016. VortexNode does not wish to continue this type of service starting December, but that is their choice, and so far I respect it, because second year has not started yet. They did have the decency to announce us in advance, giving proper time to move out, and I respect that too.

Unfortunately I can not see lawsuit as an option here, worst case scenario: PayPal refunds.

• Got this from VortexNode support when I asked if that meant get out now.

"ndeed it does. Please pack up shop before Nov 28th.

You will be compensated for the time not used."

• You know the smart thing to do is.. bite the bullet and keep current customers. But do not sell anymore plans vs. retiring them. That way, you have legacy users you can upsell to later vs. disgruntled customers who tell you to f-off with your spam.

• cheapwebdev said: bite the bullet and keep current customers. But do not sell anymore plans vs. retiring them.

Biting the bullet would be letting legacy plans keep renewing. Letting the plan run til expiration and then not allowing renewal is ok under the circumstances. Terminating a plan before expiration isn't nice, especially with less than 30 days notification.

Thanked by 1ucxo
  • @willie said:

cheapwebdev said: bite the bullet and keep current customers. But do not sell anymore plans vs. retiring them.

Biting the bullet would be letting legacy plans keep renewing. Letting the plan run til expiration and then not allowing renewal is ok under the circumstances. Terminating a plan before expiration isn't nice, especially with less than 30 days notification.

Ding ding ding... Let them know asap that their plan won't be renewed at that rate but let the plan run out. That's how you force a change like this. Kicking people out their existing plans and offering time remaining is bullsh*t when it's only a $10-20 a year plan. It's not the money so much as it is the inconvenience and hassle of finding a new provider vetting them, testing the new setup and migrating your data over.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

princeshoko said: You will be compensated for the time not used."

in what way, financially or with credit, I am concerned they are being tricky with words?

Thanked by 2MasonR adamluk
  • IThinkUFailedIThinkUFailed Member
    edited November 2017

I'm shocked people are actually getting notice of more than a few days this time round.

The fact they are discontinuing products they said they could honor in their own locations on their owned hardware is just further proof of how unrealistic the plans they were offering were.

I'm interested in the specials people managed to get and see if there's anything comparable now.

I'm eager to see what they're going to do in regards to compensation though...

• @IThinkUFailed said:
    I'm shocked people are actually getting notice of more than a few days this time round.

The fact they are discontinuing products they said they could honor in their own locations on their owned hardware is just further proof of how unrealistic the plans they were offering were.

I'm interested in the specials people managed to get and see if there's anything comparable now.

"This time around"...? VortexNode has done this before?

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@cheapwebdev said: "This time around"...? VortexNode has done this before?

Yeah, when they got kicked out of CC facilities for overdue payments. They were reselling CC dedis at a loss and it finally caught up with them. Then they tried to move everyone to their own DC in Toronto at 2-3 times the cost as it was before with worse server specs. Not sure if anyone who had dedis with them stuck around after that.

IThinkUFailed said: I'm eager to see what they're going to do in regards to compensation though...

My guess, they will give you credit knowing you wont use it and knowing its been over 180 days so you cant do a paypal dispute.

Thanked by 2IThinkUFailed yomero
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited November 2017

@cheapwebdev said:

Not this exactly, however they did increase prices on a Intel Atom dedicated offer within UK (if I remember right), so it's not the first time they make bad choices in an attempt to break the market.

[edit]: I guess all hell started to break loose after @VortexMagnus left VortexNode.

• @cheapwebdev said:

@IThinkUFailed said:

I mean do you not remember the CC dedicated server situation?

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/116479/vortexnode-linovus-completely-bankrupt/p1

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/115270/vortexnode-struggling/p1

Slightly different in that warning was given but the plug got pulled ahead of schedule due to not being up to date on payments with CC and breaching of contracts from what has been said.

• fanfan Veteran

And they are sending invoices for the services!

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Everyone wants unbelievably good deals. The thing is, though, someone has to eventually pay for them somehow.

• @default said: I guess all hell started to break loose after @VortexMagnus left VortexNode.

I suspect that they hired @VortexMagnus to increase sales, which he certainly did, but it's not clear whether all of the deals that he offered were properly approved by management beforehand. He was probably given a certain amount of freedom, but he probably pushed the limits a bit too much, and at some point, management suddenly came to their senses.

(I'm speculating, of course, but it appeared this way to outsiders. We'll never have the full story. I'm glad that I didn't fall for VortexNode in the end, but there were some minutes last Cyber Monday when I was frantically clicking on their offers, trying to get a connection.)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

FlamesRunner said: we will do whatever we can to help you make a seamless migration if you do decide to move

I'm thinking this means exactly zero.

Thanked by 2FlamesRunner switsys
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

AnthonySmith said: My guess, they will give you credit knowing you wont use it and knowing its been over 180 days so you cant do a paypal dispute.

But you can chargeback

• @Clouvider said:

AnthonySmith said: My guess, they will give you credit knowing you wont use it and knowing its been over 180 days so you cant do a paypal dispute.

But you can chargeback

If that account is still registered and active? I'd assume they'd have moved to a different PP company/account agreement after CC gave them the shove.

Clouvider said: But you can chargeback

only if you used a linked credit card, I would think that is the lower percentage of people.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2017

WSS said: If that account is still registered and active? I'd assume they'd have moved to a different PP company/account agreement after CC gave them the shove.

Doesn't matter, in case this is irrecoverable Credit Card provider will pick up the bill. Unless Debit Card was used, then not.

• @Clouvider said:
    Doesn't matter, in case this is irrecoverable Credit Card provider will pick up the bill. Unless Debit Card was used, then not.

I wasn't looking at this from the point of the consumer, but rather an actual process with the used provider MIDs, et al. I see your point, though. :)

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • Meh, It would obviously be much more annoying if it was a more expensive plan, but with the xmas special I just see this as standard LET lulz.

The shutdown stupidity aside, I have to say the server exceeded my expectations, $10 a year for a 512MB KVM with 10GB of pure SSD, and it always worked pretty well except that they up and moved it from Atlanta to Toronto sometime in the middle (still worked fine afterwards).

Now it turns out to be $10 for 11 months instead of the year advertised--I guess I can deal. I have one running service on it so I'll migrate it to one of my other idle VPS and update some DNS. I'll leave them with the guilty satisfaction of owing me 85 cents for the unused period, or whatever the amount is.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • @fan said:
    And they are sending invoices for the services!

Pay the invoices... see what they do...

• @IThinkUFailed said:

@cheapwebdev said:

@IThinkUFailed said:

I mean do you not remember the CC dedicated server situation?

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/116479/vortexnode-linovus-completely-bankrupt/p1

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/115270/vortexnode-struggling/p1

Slightly different in that warning was given but the plug got pulled ahead of schedule due to not being up to date on payments with CC and breaching of contracts from what has been said.

Well I have 5 KVMs (Chstimasdeal), the one for 512mb ram and I only pay $5 a year. I didn't ever consider them for the dedicated server needs as support was always "meh" at best.