Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Grammarly - Or: How to avoid horrific support tickets (for both parties)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Grammarly - Or: How to avoid horrific support tickets (for both parties)

YmpkerYmpker Member
edited October 2017 in General

So it happens quite often that I see extracts from support tickets being posted on here (or elsewhere) where either the Support Agent or the client has a language barrier to the extent that it is usually hard for the other party to comprehend. It's even harder for another agent who would need to follow up on the issue. I've only recently found out about Grammarly which is available for free and as a Chrome extension. It will check your posts on the forum, your tickets or literally any other textbox that appears on your screen and checks it for (grammatical; typo) mistakes + suggests different options on how to correct it. Surely this can not solve ALL the problems there are when it comes to language barriers BUT it can make things a lot easier and more comfortable to read at that.

Check it out if you don't know it: https://www.grammarly.com/ :)

Kind regards,
Ympker

Shoutout to our beloved @cociu <3 This might be something for you :)

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2017

Been using it a while now myself :)

It can come up with some strange suggestions sometimes, however, its correct 90% of the time so it can improve things for a lot of people I suppose.

Even in this post, it put a few commas in the right place and corrected my spelling of improve (p and r wrong way around - typo) and I am a native English speaker, although those in the south of England may not agree haha.

Thanked by 2Ympker Clouvider
  • HyperSpeedHyperSpeed Member
    edited October 2017

Used this at work as was made aware we had some staff members who spoke multiple languages and found it difficult to write English but could speak it easily. Helps for making documents and written pieces more legible, it's not totally accurate 100% of the time but is much better than any alternative.

It will batter you with requests for the pro version if you don't unsubscribe but free version is useful, the free word plugin happens to be very useful!

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @HyperSpeed said:
    Used this at work as was made aware we had some staff members who spoke multiple languages and found it difficult to write English but could speak it easily. Helps for making documents and written pieces more legible, it's not totally accurate 100% of the time but is much better than any alternative.

It will batter you with requests for the pro version if you don't unsubscribe but free version is useful, the free word plugin happens to be very useful!

I did not even sign up with a free account. You could skip the signup :)

• I wonder, what do grammarly suggest for fartmother ?

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Does Grammarly store any text it reads from the client?

Thanked by 1pike
  • @MikeA

Depends. If you create a new document, then yes, naturally it will save. However, it can be deleted.

Not sure about their privacy policy, but have a look at section "II. INFORMATION ACCESS AND DISCLOSURE" on https://www.grammarly.com/privacy-policy.

• RazzaRazza Member
    edited October 2017

I've recently started using it just the free version which seems to work quite well not sure how much better the pro version is compared to the free version of it since it costs $139.95 if you pay it yearly.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

There are tons of coupons available on google, never go full retard.

Saw even Premium for 60$/y.

• WSSWSS Member

Google Translate sure as fuck doesn't do it.

• Neoon said: Saw even Premium for 60$/y.

I know you can get coupons for it some dumb or just lazy user will just pay the full price for it anyway.

Even at that price am still quite doubtful it's worth it, in the end, it just a spelling and grammar checker personally I rather spent that on one of my servers.

• edited October 2017

@WSS said:

It might not do inline grammar but it is getting pretty good at translating. They added AI to a lot of languages in the past year and it seems a lot more accurate now.
    https://techcrunch.com/2017/03/06/googles-smarter-a-i-powered-translation-system-expands-to-more-languages/

I use it all the time on web pages. It's getting good enough to have real-time conversations back and forth through your smartphone.

• @WSS said:

... and you would’ve thought their “AI” would’ve figured language out by now.

• jetchiragjetchirag Member
    edited October 2017

I had it's premium version for plagiarism checks and when writing some documentations. Works great except few time which it trys to force some texts which doesn't makes any sense.

I had its premium version for plagiarism checks and when writing some documentation. Works great except few times which it tries to force some texts which don't make any sense.

It's sometimes very annoying

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited October 2017

@jetchirag said:

Most of the red underlines in example actually do seem to indicate valid corrections - I believe the following would be more or less properly corrected English:

"I had its premium version for plagiarism checks and when writing some documentation. Works great except a few times when it tries to force some texts which don't make any sense."

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • WSSWSS Member

@jetchirag Even when your modifiers are incorrect?

its', documentation, few times, tries, make... et al.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • I have been using Grammarly since very long time and its just fine even if you don't want to upgrade with additional features. But as @jetchirag said sometimes it force you to di the nonsense correction

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @Ympker: good thing, thanks for pointing out ;-)

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @Falzo said:
    @Ympker: good thing, thanks for pointing out ;-)

Sure thing ;)

• I had it's premium version for plagiarism checks and when writing some documentations. Works great except few time which it trys to force some tex> @uptime said:

@jetchirag said:

Most of the red underlines in example actually do seem to indicate valid corrections - I believe the following would be more or less properly corrected English:

"I had its premium version for plagiarism checks and when writing some documentation. Works great except a few times when it tries to force some texts which don't make any sense."

@WSS said:
    @jetchirag Even when your modifiers are incorrect?

its', documentation, few times, tries, make... et al.

@GoogieHost said:
    I have been using Grammarly since very long time and its just fine even if you don't want to upgrade with additional features. But as @jetchirag said sometimes it force you to di the nonsense correction

O.o

C'mon, this is what I meant, didn't I? I can take care of those modifiers etc when I am writing something important x_X

Sometimes it's annoying and that's why I had it disabled.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • I recently started using Grammarly free version and its working great 90% times. :)

Thanked by 1Ympker

24x7servermanagement said: I recently started using Grammarly free version and its working great 90% times. :)

I recently started using Grammarly free versions and it is working great 90% of the time. :)

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @AnthonySmith said:

24x7servermanagement said: I recently started using Grammarly free version and its working great 90% times. :)

I recently started using Grammarly free versions and it is working great 90% of the time. :)

Shouldn't it be version?

Thanked by 1hostdare

jetchirag said: Shouldn't it be version?

yes :)

• RickBakkrRickBakkr Member, Patron Provider, LIR

I used to use it. Unfortunately it has no way - or I was unable to find it - only use Grammarly on a few sites : thus using some opt-in instead of opt-out principle. It is really annoying when writing e.g. mails and other posts in my motherlanguage (Dutch) which are then being checked and almost red underlined at all words...

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

I've installed it, well, the Chrome plugin but it doesn't seem to be working properly. It shows nothing while I'm typing, even if I do a typo on propose.

• @MikePT said:
    I've installed it, well, the Chrome plugin but it doesn't seem to be working properly. It shows nothing while I'm typing, even if I do a typo on propose.

Does it shows this icon on bottom left?

• edited October 2017

@MikePT said:

You have to create an account and log in to their website (from the plugin?) before it starts working.

Seems to work ok. The only thing missing is a plugin for Thunderbird. I don't want to have to cut/paste from somewhere else

The constant nagging to upgrade to a paid plan will get old really fast and that will only get worse over time.

• @LosPollosHermanos said:

@MikePT said:

You have to create an account and log in to their website (from the plugin?) before it starts working.

Seems to work ok. The only thing missing is a plugin for Thunderbird. I don't want to have to cut/paste from somewhere else

The constant nagging to upgrade to a paid plan will get old really fast and that will only get worse over time.

I didnt sign up and it works

• NixtrenNixtren Member
    edited October 2017

There's an open-source alternative:

https://languagetool.org/

Thanked by 1RickBakkr