Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Grammarly - Or: How to avoid horrific support tickets (for both parties) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Grammarly - Or: How to avoid horrific support tickets (for both parties)

Comments

• somewhatwindy said: Bandwich.

Does your costumer need a refound because too much bandwich?

• dedipromodedipromo Member
    edited October 2017

Speaking of grammarly, I'm currently using ProWritingAid, which I'd say is pretty handy, especially when it comes to scientific writing.

• @Ympker said:

I didnt sign up and it works

you know using nulled software may be followed by ban around here sometimes? :-P

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited October 2017

@Falzo said:

@Ympker said:

I didnt sign up and it works

you know using nulled software may be followed by ban around here sometimes? :-P

This does not imply you would need to sign up to use it (although they very well navigate you towards their "sign up page". Or what are you getting at? Not sure what you mean :P Was just saying I did not experience any "please upgrade" spam until now so perhaps it only appears once you signed up with them.

• @Ympker said:

I was just joking around ;-)

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited October 2017

@Falzo said:

@Ympker said:

I was just joking around ;-)

Oh lol :P Work today was sorta exhausting so I am acctually very tired. I'm just sitting here browsing 9gag, reddit & let since 2 hours.
    I oughta go to bed, really :D

Edit:
    Oddly enough I recently advertised my hosting in a german forum and the first comment was "Hmmm....no whmcs license?". And I was like: "No. It's fu**ing Blesta I'm using."

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • Damian said: Does your costumer need a refound because too much bandwich?

yes yes, two bandwich and pepsi-cola please.

Thanked by 1Damian
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

All in all, @Ympker convinced me to buy it now. It's all your fault.

Thanked by 2Ympker vimalware
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@jetchirag said:

@MikePT said:
    I've installed it, well, the Chrome plugin but it doesn't seem to be working properly. It shows nothing while I'm typing, even if I do a typo on propose.

Does it shows this icon on bottom left?

@LosPollosHermanos said:

@MikePT said:
    I've installed it, well, the Chrome plugin but it doesn't seem to be working properly. It shows nothing while I'm typing, even if I do a typo on propose.

You have to create an account and log in to their website (from the plugin?) before it starts working.

Seems to work ok. The only thing missing is a plugin for Thunderbird. I don't want to have to cut/paste from somewhere else

The constant nagging to upgrade to a paid plan will get old really fast and that will only get worse over time.

Yeah done all that. But the only suggestions are from Chrome itself.

• @WSS said:
    Google Translate sure as fuck doesn't do it.

I think google translate works better if you split into sentences or phrases. Instead of trying to do a whole book or paragraph

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

Or grab a book of Wren & Martin and teach yourself English grammar. So that even when you're not on any computer, you will be able to communicate well.

Thanked by 1hostdare
  • @BlaZe said:
    Or grab a book of Wren & Martin and teach yourself English grammar. So that even when you're not on any computer, you will be able to communicate well.

Your signature is more than 2 lines mate

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited October 2017

@Clouvider said:
    All in all, @Ympker convinced me to buy it now. It's all your fault.

Hehe :P Tell me how the Premium Version does and let's hope I don't get convinced, too (saving my money for black friday):D

• Almost forgot this little extension. Sure it's helpful, but it looks like you have to get the premium service to unveil its full power?

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited October 2017

@drivex said:
    Almost forgot this little extension. Sure it's helpful, but it looks like you have to get the premium service to unveil its full power?

Yes. By the way this is the most common practice among freeware. To tempt the user to upgrade to premium such as @Clouvider ( poor lad :/ ).

@Ympker said:

@drivex said:
    Almost forgot this little extension. Sure it's helpful, but it looks like you have to get the premium service to unveil its full power?

Yes. By the way this is the most common practice among freeware. To tempt the user to upgrade to premium such as @Clouvider ( poor lad :/ ).

I was just annoyed about constant nagging of ‘oh click here, to upgrade to premium it’s so much better now!!!!!!’

It works, I like it. Realised I make a lot of small mistakes, so since I plan to use it, for the sake of my sanity, I needed this add gone.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @Clouvider said:

@Ympker said:

@drivex said:

I was just annoyed about constant nagging of ‘oh click here, to upgrade to premium it’s so much better now!!!!!!’

It works, I like it. Realised I make a lot of small mistakes, so since I plan to use it, for the sake of my sanity, I needed this add gone.

Hehe ;) I don't see the "upgrade now" still :P But didnt sign up either^^

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited October 2017

It would be nice if it could also check the grammar of other languages. I could use that in German for my co-worker who always struggles with grammar. I have just installed the (free) plugin for Safari and hope that it will improve the readability of my postings here on LET. Thank you @Ympker for the hint! Seems like a nice help - I am even thinking about upgrading.

Thanked by 3Ympker Clouvider Falzo

@Ympker should become an affiliate of theirs :P

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited October 2017

@Clouvider said:
    @Ympker should become an affiliate of theirs :P

I was gonna say it's about time I got myself an affiliate link :D

The program isn't even bad: https://www.grammarly.com/affiliates

Btw. I got hooked by YouTube ads which showed me about 10 times in a row an advert for Grammarly "If you are a student you need this.."

• Are there any known coupons around or is the best possible deal already the yearly plan?

• @Amitz said:
    Are there any known coupons around or is the best possible deal already the yearly plan?

50% off copied from Groupon. Not my aff^^
    https://www.groupon.com/coupons/stores/grammarly.com?c=7293c7bb-bb32-481f-9792-773405d573a4

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • Thank you, but I fail to understand how that works. No matter what I click, nothing relevant happens...

• @Amitz said:

Thank you, but I fail to understand how that works. No matter what I click, nothing relevant happens...

Hmm, no idea either didn't try :P

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • Don't know what to think...

It just corrected:

Fartmother you refund vomit IDC. Debian Thx.

to:

Fat mother, you refund vomit IDC. Debian Thx.

I guess I need the paid upgrade to make sense... ;-)

Thanked by 1raindog308

@Amitz in my case no coupon worked.

I went to upgrade page, decided not to buy for that much. Got an email later that day 'Feeling undecided - buy today 50% off' and, well, this convinced me :P

Thanked by 3Amitz Ympker Falzo
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited October 2017

Clouvider said: I went to upgrade page, decided not to buy for that much. Got an email later that day 'Feeling undecided - buy today 50% off' and, well, this convinced me :P

So I'll go to the upgrade page now, just leave it again and then wait for the eMail. That sounds convenient, thank you for the hint!

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • bsdguybsdguy Member
    edited October 2017

First: Blaze is right. One should properly learn a language (incl. ones own) in the first place and one should learn and train with humans.

As for grammarly: won't happen, I will stay away for many reasons. For a start, it's a (at least in part) ukrainian company; that alone is reason enough to avoid them like the pestilence. Moreover, when looking at their site I see but a gigantic blob of web 2.0 idiocy and marketing blurb. Funnily with lots and lots of images of people (get it? Their product takes the humans out of the equation. So as ersatz they show many humans in images).

Finally, there is one more reason: language is about communication between humans. It's not about perfection, it's not math and not engineering. The decisive criterion is whether someone has to say something interesting and meaningful in the first place. If we can understand each other then language has served its purpose. If, however, as is very often the case, people don't have to say anything intelligent and interesting (hint: look at facebook) I don't care how perfectly correct their uttering is spelled.

P.S.: I find it utterly ridiculous when native english speakers rant about others speaking bad english. For one the english language isn't something to be proud of; it's one of the poorest (in words) languages of all plus it's grammar is quite simple (which again makes it attractive as "the international language". More importantly, however, I very strongly dislike the implicit arrogance of people who usually speak but their own language and who commonly maim e.g. (non english) names of cities or well known people who ridicule, say, a romanian speaking multiple languages for his less than perfect english.

• edited October 2017

@Ympker said:

@Amitz said:

Thank you, but I fail to understand how that works. No matter what I click, nothing relevant happens...

Hmm, no idea either didn't try :P

So you just goggled "coupon" and put in that link? Most of the time of the time those coupons don't work or only work under very narrow situations.