Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Grammarly - Or: How to avoid horrific support tickets (for both parties) - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Grammarly - Or: How to avoid horrific support tickets (for both parties)

13»

Comments

• However, @clouvider's "trick" did it for me. I have just received the 50% offer and decided to get a one year plan for under USD 6/month. Let's see over the year if it is worth it.

Thanked by 2Clouvider Falzo
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

bsdguy said: P.S.: I find it utterly ridiculous when native english speakers rant about others speaking bad english.

I never complain about someone else's English, unless they're providing a business service in English. Then, yes, I do expect coherent English and I think that's reasonable.

bsdguy said: For one the english language isn't something to be proud of; it's one of the poorest (in words) languages of all

I really don't understand what you mean. English has more words overall and in common use than any other language.

Unless you mean "as a originating source of vocabulary". Sure, English has assimilated words from hundreds of languages but that's just a different linguistic strategy. 80% of polysyllabic words come from Latin...80% of monosyllabic come from German or Anglo-Saxon.

Then again, there aren't any native Anglo-Saxon speakers today (or Old German for that matter) so is English really assimilating or taking those languages as its base? It's not as if 21st Century German or French sprang into existence on their own.

I'd put the body of English-language literature up against any other language's. That's not to say that some languages haven't produced towering works - e.g., Russian, German, Japanese. But they don't compare to English in either scope or depth. Germans win music, Italians win art, French win food, and the English win literature.

plus it's grammar is quite simple (which again makes it attractive as "the international language".

Grammar is simple in the sense that many of the inflecting components are gone - there's no gender (a few minor exceptions), case is done by word-order rather than ending, etc.

But spelling and some auxiliary grammar are fiendishly difficult, which makes English comparatively easy to start and difficult to master. As an English speaker, I found both German and Latin a breeze for spelling (I don't think either language has a single exception!) but grammar was significantly more complicated...well, nothing is more complicated than Latin grammar...maybe Russian. I gave up on Italian sometime around my 300th unique verb form.

• Lots of universities offer free Premium for Grammarly. If you are a student, might check with them.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Amitz said:
    However, @clouvider's "trick" did it for me. I have just received the 50% offer and decided to get a one year plan for under USD 6/month. Let's see over the year if it is worth it.

Enjoy :-)!

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • bsdguybsdguy Member
    edited October 2017

@raindog308

Although I largely disagree with much of what you say (have, for instance, a look at the actually used vocabulary of most english speakers and you'll find how very poor english is) I have no interest in a flame war or in deviating this thread.

I agree, however, that anyone providing services internationally should speak english reasonably well. But - and that's what this thread is about - (close to) perfection is certainly not required. @cociu is somewhat of a corner case; on the one hand his english is indeed not easy to understand for many (funnily though I understand him quite well, maybe because his many romanisms (e.g. "tard" for "late" or "delayed") aren't a problem for me). On the other hand I find it absolutely inacceptable how he (and others) is quite frequently almost insulted and ridiculed, and that by people who hardly speak 1 language well.

Btw, I strongly differentiate between brits (part of civilization and homo sapiens) and us-americans (with shockingly few exceptions).

• SgrocksSgrocks Member
    edited October 2017

It's a Pretty nice service, I've got Premium for Lifetime for free :P

They did a bit of promo when they first launched :D

• ChristianDSHChristianDSH Member, Host Rep

Really nice tool, but unfortunately does not save my problems :D

Some users i have like to write in french, which i was horrible at school, even though i only advertise english and german.

Maybe because "Saarland" was once part of france for a time period, or they just ignore it.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @ChristianDSH said:

Some users i have like to write in french, which i was horrible at school, even though i only advertise english and german.

Maybe because "Saarland" was once part of france for a time period, or they just ignore it.

Et alors? Il y a google translator. g

From what I've seen the french are very forgiving when a non native speaker at least tries to talk french. As long as they can more or less understand what one says they usually gratefully accept ones attempts to speak their language.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

bsdguy said: But - and that's what this thread is about - (close to) perfection is certainly not required.

bsdguy said: On the other hand I find it absolutely inacceptable how he (and others) is quite frequently almost insulted and ridiculed, and that by people who hardly speak 1 language well.

I agree with this and he's a good example. Setting aside the teasing - I mean, some of it really is good-natured teasing - my expectations are lower in this market.

I expect Google to have perfect translations in all languages for all services. But Google doesn't charge low-end prices. If you want low-end prices, then don't complain if the provider's English isn't perfect.

bsdguy said: From what I've seen the french are very forgiving when a non native speaker at least tries to talk french.

Interesting...reputationally, the French are notorious for sneering at those who don't speak perfect French but that could just be legend. I think they're still bitter that French didn't win out as the international language...

• edited October 2017

@ChristianDSH said:

Don't know about French but Google Translate is getting very good at Spanish. To the point that I can have detailed online technical discussions with Spanish only speakers/writers. If using Chrome on a foreign language website just right click and select translate to English. For documents, they have a translator toolkit.

Been using free Grammarly for a few days now and it definitely helps.

• jiggawattjiggawatt Member
    edited October 2017

bsdguy said: As for grammarly: won't happen, I will stay away for many reasons. For a start, it's a (at least in part) ukrainian company; that alone is reason enough to avoid them like the pestilence.

This is an interesting point, and I will add something: the Grammarly plugin processes all your text on Grammarly's servers. You give it permission to do that. And quite frankly they can do whatever they want with that data.

We've recently learned about the potential for exploited mass-use products to narrowly target specific institutions (e.g., CCleaner and Kaspersky Anti-Virus.) There is tremendous potential here. And there is tremendous naiveté amongst the general public here.

It's interesting that Grammarly only has offices in Kiev, San Francisco and New York - but no sales offices in the EU or Hong Kong, both of which are closer to target markets but have have much stronger privacy laws imposed on legally-present companies.

If we can understand each other then language has served its purpose.

And the "horrific support tickets" being spoken about usually involve frustrated users and clueless L1 techs. Bad grammar and Indianisms like for the same and do the needful often reinforce stereotypes about unqualified outsourced support, but that's not the cause of the horror.

• FriendsMotorsFriendsMotors Member
    edited December 2017

@Clouvider said:
    @Amitz in my case no coupon worked.

I went to upgrade page, decided not to buy for that much. Got an email later that day 'Feeling undecided - buy today 50% off' and, well, this convinced me :P

I have tried this and got 40% off on1 year subscription. you might get it here https://spam-spam-spam.com/grammarly-discount/

• PUSHR_VictorPUSHR_Victor Member, Host Rep

Grammarly is awesome but it inserts something into emails, I am not sure why. Had to send an urgent newsletter the other day via Sendy and a bunch of junk was inserted. Gmail even clipped the message. I am yet to look at what was inserted.

• @PUSHR_Victor said:
    Grammarly is awesome but it inserts something into emails, I am not sure why. Had to send an urgent newsletter the other day via Sendy and a bunch of junk was inserted. Gmail even clipped the message. I am yet to look at what was inserted.

Never happened to me. Let us know when you check what was inserted.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@Harzem said:

@PUSHR_Victor said:

I would like to hear more as well.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited December 2017

raindog308 said: Germans win music

I wouldn't say that, while they do have a culture for that and it fits great into the german psyche with big orchestras and majestic sound, I would say that kind of music is more european than german, originated in Italy and spread on the continent passing through various transformations and the austrians, albeit kinda german, were at that time a big empire and a melting pot which greatly helped in channeling music towards the northern europe where got the specific accent we attribute today to it.

I agree anyone should know at least one language in detail, at least enough to know what a phrase is, what the different parts of a sentence are, some logic in expressions, even if that logic differs greatly towards other languages, you can logically and mentally acknowledge the difference, it will always be in the back of your head filtering through most of the common mistakes you could do because of that.
    If you do not know one language well, scientifically, you cannot really learn another, it will be a form without a background flouting not only linguistic rules, but, most of the time, common sense too.

• PUSHR_VictorPUSHR_Victor Member, Host Rep

@MikePT said:

@Harzem said:

@PUSHR_Victor said:

Appears others have had this issue too:
    https://sendy.co/forum/discussion/10739/unnecessary-source-code-is-automatically-added-to-wysiwyg-editor/p1

I looked at the code that was added to my email. In this case around 6500 lines of code have been added, mostly images and styles which seem to be part of the addon itself, but are actually not visible in the HTML version of the email. I suppose this is probably a bug rather than intentional.

Here:
    https://imgur.com/a/4DiZX

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@PUSHR_Victor said:

@MikePT said:

@Harzem said:

@PUSHR_Victor said:

Appears others have had this issue too:
    https://sendy.co/forum/discussion/10739/unnecessary-source-code-is-automatically-added-to-wysiwyg-editor/p1

I looked at the code that was added to my email. In this case around 6500 lines of code have been added, mostly images and styles which seem to be part of the addon itself, but are actually not visible in the HTML version of the email. I suppose this is probably a bug rather than intentional.

Here:
    https://imgur.com/a/4DiZX

Still, a serious bug tho.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited April 2019

Sorry for the Necro. Just wondering if anyone here is still using the premium version of Grammarly? The reason I am asking is that I will have to write 2 written tasks for Uni this semester (I don't know when yet; only about 300-400 words each) and as we can write these at home on our PC before turning them in I was wondering if anyone who still has Grammarly Premium was willing to "share" it with me as a measure of running a final check before turning these papers in.
    I know, this sounds a bit cheesy but wouldn't want to pay a whole year for it and the monthly plan is priced quite expensive. I might throw a donation your way or smth. like that :)

Edit: Found someone who helped me out :) All good now!