Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recommendations for 30TB at 1Gbit guaranteed
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Recommendations for 30TB at 1Gbit guaranteed

Hello,
Looking for a provider with following specs:

Any 4 core server
8GB RAM
Any HDD
30TB Bandwidth
1Gbit Guaranteed

The major emphasis is on 1Gbit port, I should be able to take 900+ Mbps anytime I want, but the total allocation of bandwidth will never exceed 30TB in a month. Content will be legal streaming.

Budget is ~$40

Kindly recommend any budget providers, thank you.

Comments

• So you want the provider to reserve the 1Gbit capacity for you but only sell 30TB, which is around 90Mbit of it?

Isn't that like going to McDonalds and asking for them to prepare you 100 burgers but only sell 1?

• As the LET Turns....

Thanked by 3deadbeef WSS doghouch
  • hsgreenhsgreen Member
    edited February 2017

@serverian said:
    So you want the provider to reserve the 1Gbit capacity for you but only sell 30TB, which is around 90Mbit of it?

Isn't that like going to McDonalds and asking for them to prepare you 100 burgers but only sell 1?

I am not asking for reserving the bandwidth for me, but they should not be overselling a lot. Most of 100TB and Unmetered providers are overselling alot with 1Gbit ports. Indeed without overselling, one can't offer budget 1Gbit servers but the total bandwidth/servers ratio shouldn't be super high. That's why I asked for a cap of 30TB.

There are providers out there like Hetzner and Leaseweb who do sell decent bandwidth with almost guaranteed 1Gbit ports but I'm looking for alternatives.

• Well since you explained it like that, I'm going to spoil the thread with knowing that you're going to get a lot of "increase your budget" replies

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@hsgreen said:

@serverian said:
    So you want the provider to reserve the 1Gbit capacity for you but only sell 30TB, which is around 90Mbit of it?

I am not asking for reserving the bandwidth for me, but they should not be overselling a lot. Most of 100TB and Unmetered providers are overselling alot with 1Gbit ports. Indeed without overselling, one can't offer budget 1Gbit servers but the total bandwidth/servers ratio shouldn't be super high. That's why I asked for a cap of 30TB.

There are providers out there like Hetzner and Leaseweb who do sell decent bandwidth with almost guaranteed 1Gbit ports but I'm looking for alternatives.

Then you shouldn't be expecting to burst the full port 24/7. Short of the node being on a 10gbit port and then rate limits at the VM, you're simply asking too much.

Now if you scale that back the hard port bursting I can do that at $60/month on our slices in NY.

Francisco

Thanked by 2doughmanes deadbeef
  • permatahostpermatahost Member
    edited February 2017

wholesaleinternet offer 30 tb bandwith at 1gbit port within your budget

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • hsgreen said:

There are providers out there like Hetzner and Leaseweb who do sell decent bandwidth with almost guaranteed 1Gbit ports

Hetzner lol. I love Hetzner but no their (at least international) network is nothing like that. No idea about Leaseweb. I do get almost the whole 1gbps from my Hetzner box to other Hetzner boxes, and to Telehouse (DE) at least in bursts.

• @hsgreen said:

@serverian said:

There is a big difference between guaranteed bandwidth and "being able to burst to some number most of the time due to some circumstances, i.e: most of the Europe's bandwidth ending up being free due to massive peering.".

Guaranteed = reserved.

Hetzner or Leaseweb does not guarantee that kind of bandwidth, either. And at some point in the future, you may not be able to push that numbers.

• @willie said:

hsgreen said:

There are providers out there like Hetzner and Leaseweb who do sell decent bandwidth with almost guaranteed 1Gbit ports

Hetzner lol. I love Hetzner but no their (at least international) network is nothing like that. No idea about Leaseweb. I do get almost the whole 1gbps from my Hetzner box to other Hetzner boxes, and to Telehouse (DE) at least in bursts.

Cos intercontinental bandwidth actually costs something :)

Thanked by 2vimalware deadbeef
  • serverian said:

Hetzner to LT isn't that great either ;). It does ok to France because there are big cross-connects between Hetzner, OVH, and Online.

• I have a lw one with 100TB 1Gbps full duplex.

• Hetzner in Europe exactly met your requirements and budget.
    https://www.hetzner.de/en/hosting/produkte_rootserver/ex41s

• @willie said:

serverian said:

Hetzner to LT isn't that great either ;). It does ok to France because there are big cross-connects between Hetzner, OVH, and Online.

It all depends on the peering. If the LT guys you are mentioning are at DE-CIX or any other major peering sites which Hetzner is at and have big enough pipes there then the speeds between them and Hetzner would improve and become practically free.

It's really a major unethical competition those big Europe hosts are doing. It's ending up good and bad at the same time. End users are giving them more business due to the enormous value they are providing but then it's killing competition and making very hard for small hosts to get bigger in the market.

But who cares? Yay for capitalism!

• @hsgreen said:

@mrmoor said:
    Hetzner in Europe exactly met your requirements and budget.
    https://www.hetzner.de/en/hosting/produkte_rootserver/ex41s

Exactly! Thanks for proving my post above. Alternative of Hetzner is... Hetzner!

• serverian said: the LT guys you are mentioning

It's Time4vps, you probably know more about their peering than I do.

serverian said: End users are giving them more business due to the enormous value they are providing but then it's killing competition and making very hard for small hosts to get bigger in the market.

I get the impression (you'd know better) that EU transit is cheap for everyone and not just the big guys. The big guys spend a lot less on hardware and DC facilities because they have so many servers. But, I think I could beat Hetzner (as an end user, not as a host) by colo'ing my own stuff in the US, if my requirements went up by a not so huge factor. I may end up doing that someday.

• @willie said:
    I get the impression (you'd know better) that EU transit is cheap for everyone and not just the big guys. The big guys spend a lot less on hardware and DC facilities because they have so many servers. But, I think I could beat Hetzner (as an end user, not as a host) by colo'ing my own stuff in the US, if my requirements went up by a not so huge factor. I may end up doing that someday.

It depends on your use case. For example, if you need all that bandwidth Hetzner provides, then no, you cannot beat them yourself by colocating your stuff in the US.

But if you only need like 10TB and a cheap non-hotswap E3 eBay server, you can do that.

Just went on WHT and checked the first thread on Colo offers: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1633645

1U/2U Rack Colo
    1-2U Rack space
    10TB on Gig
    1 AMP 120v power
    Remote Reboot PDU access included
    Free rack & stack
    Up to a /29 IPv4
    /64 IPv6
    Lantronix KVM loaner by request

$30/Month

I'm sure you can find cheaper, too.

Server example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-ProLiant-DL120-G7-3-10GHz-Xeon-E3-1220-8GB-RAM-No-Hard-Drives-/222394920998?hash=item33c7c53026:g:pQwAAOSwo4pYkOpv

Put a cheap SSD on it and you're game in the long run.

• @willie Hetzner (AS24940) to LT (AS8764) have at avg 50-60ms. Tested on 20Mbits bb. Filled in 100%.

• williewillie Member
    edited February 2017

serverian said: if you only need like 10TB and a cheap non-hotswap E3 eBay server,

Yeah, that's closer to my use case. 30TB is a ridiculous amount of bw for most people. In my case it would be about cpu and storage but not really bw. I have an old clunky Supermicro 1U server with a dual Opteron board inside, so I could either colo it as-is or upgrade the motherboard to something cooler and faster. Or could use Joe's DC minitower hosting with up to 8 drives in the minitower.

Added: holy cow I can't believe how cheap some of those ebay servers are. I'd want something faster than an e3-1220 but there is amazing stuff there. A 4-processor E7-4870 box with 128GB of ram for $850 buy-it-now?! :O

• doughmanesdoughmanes Member
    edited February 2017

ServerWorlds has some good used hardware deals. Email Jake. Their weekly newsletter is nice with some interesting deals.

• @willie said:

serverian said: if you only need like 10TB and a cheap non-hotswap E3 eBay server,

Yeah, that's closer to my use case. 30TB is a ridiculous amount of bw for most people. In my case it would be about cpu and storage but not really bw. I have an old clunky Supermicro 1U server with a dual Opteron board inside, so I could either colo it as-is or upgrade the motherboard to something cooler and faster. Or could use Joe's DC minitower hosting with up to 8 drives in the minitower.

Added: holy cow I can't believe how cheap some of those ebay servers are. I'd want something faster than an e3-1220 but there is amazing stuff there. A 4-processor E7-4870 box with 128GB of ram for $850 buy-it-now?! :O

You can find better. For example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Proliant-DL360p-G8-GEN8-SERVER-EIGHT-CORE-E5-2650-256GB-8TB-3-5-HDD-CACHE-/112226491562?hash=item1a21385caa:g:Sv4AAOSwA3dYN6j-

• @serverian said:
    It's really a major unethical competition those big Europe hosts are doing. It's ending up good and bad at the same time. End users are giving them more business due to the enormous value they are providing but then it's killing competition and making very hard for small hosts to get bigger in the market.

Super yay for capitalism, actually. As per your description, consumers get better services at lower prices. This is the ethical situation, unlike your "boo hoo, I can't compete so you have to subsidize me".

• serverianserverian Member
    edited February 2017

@deadbeef said:

@serverian said:

Super yay for capitalism, actually. As per your description, consumers get better services at lower prices. This is the ethical situation, unlike your "boo hoo, I can't compete so you have to subsidize me".

Very low profile thinking there. Read about monopoly.

A few big enterprises can make the market very limited. At first they can provide better value for end users and therefore they block new comers entering the market. And then when there is noone out there to actually get bigger and compete with them and maybe offer better services/value to the end users, you can enjoy the monopoly.

Plus, all the providers here, like myself are end users for some other providers. So monopoly hurts everyone.

• williewillie Member
    edited February 2017

Wow that's impressive too. Lower cpu but 256gb ram and some disks included. Thanks for pointing me at this stuff, I hadn't paid attention in a while. I'll have to consider it. I don't have high ram requirements atm but might at some point. Suggest any colo with cheap power other than Joe's? Not too fussy about network.

• @serverian said:

@willie said:

You can find better. For example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Proliant-DL360p-G8-GEN8-SERVER-EIGHT-CORE-E5-2650-256GB-8TB-3-5-HDD-CACHE-/112226491562?hash=item1a21385caa:g:Sv4AAOSwA3dYN6j-

While that's an awesome deal it's gonna be pricey to collocate that.

• IThinkUFailed said: While that's an awesome deal it's gonna be pricey to collocate that.

In the picture it looks like just a 1U box? Might need 3 amps or so, not too crazy considering what's in there.

• @willie said:
    Wow that's impressive too. Lower cpu but 256gb ram and some disks included. Thanks for pointing me at this stuff, I hadn't paid attention in a while. I'll have to consider it. I don't have high ram requirements atm but might at some point. Suggest any colo with cheap power other than Joe's? Not too fussy about network.

I didn't check but those E7's should be slower than those E5s even in 4 vs 2.

Well, I don't know. There should be a few of them around. You need to search WHT offers section for a start.

• williewillie Member
    edited February 2017

serverian said: I didn't check but those E7's should be slower than those E5s even in 4 vs 2.

I think slower than the latest e5's but maybe not the older ones. cpubenchmark lists 9327 passmark for a single e7-4870HQ (whatever that means, 2.5 ghz) and 17541 for dual e7-4870, vs 15200 for dual E5-2650v1 (10376 for single, hmm). They don't have a number for quad e7-4870 but it must be in the 30k range? I have to start wondering what the applications are for that level of multiprocessing in any case. It could be that the higher core count and total cache size is a winning setup for some apps like search engines. Plus e7 servers have more enterprisey nonstop features. I have no idea what I'd do with something like that though ;). I'd be better off with a bunch of E3's for raw compute power.

• @serverian Until today, I am not found any US provider who offer 64GB Ram + i7-6700 in price less than $120 (it mean four times more than Hetzner). Some of them have in offer just Ram for $50 (32GB) such USDedicated.com ... So, there is not only about amount of traffic.

The best connected US network to Europe i know, including LT (~130ms) is Choopa from NJ facility. Unbeatable network and from few years same quality. Worse connection to Europe from east US have Florida, no matter Miami,Orlando,West Palm Beach etc.

• @willie said:

IThinkUFailed said: While that's an awesome deal it's gonna be pricey to collocate that.

In the picture it looks like just a 1U box? Might need 3 amps or so, not too crazy considering what's in there.

Yeah it's the power requirement I'm referring to... well that and the bandwidth too. They're very powerful though, that's for sure.

• @willie said:

serverian said: I didn't check but those E7's should be slower than those E5s even in 4 vs 2.

I think slower than the latest e5's but maybe not the older ones. cpubenchmark lists 9327 passmark for a single e7-4870HQ (whatever that means, 2.5 ghz) and 17541 for dual e7-4870, vs 15200 for dual E5-2650v1 (10376 for single, hmm). They don't have a number for quad e7-4870 but it must be in the 30k range? I have to start wondering what the applications are for that level of multiprocessing in any case. It could be that the higher core count and total cache size is a winning setup for some apps like search engines. Plus e7 servers have more enterprisey nonstop features. I have no idea what I'd do with something like that though ;). I'd be better off with a bunch of E3's for raw compute power.

Well, first generation E7's should be based on Westmere (i.e: E/L/X56XX series). First generation E5's are based on Sandy Bridge. You could get better performance with dual E5 2670 I think. More memory bandwidth, too. Shouldn't be much more expensive than E5 2650's.

Thanked by 1vimalware