Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Payment Methods for VPS Providers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Payment Methods for VPS Providers?

rguyrguy Member
edited December 2011 in Providers

I have found several appealing VPS hosts, but unfortunately many seem to use PayPal, or another, similar service, and do not seem to have any alternatives. Does anyone know of any good VPS hosts that do NOT require PayPal, or better yet, a way around this? I have heard quite a few bad things about Paypal (including tons and tons of disgruntled users with frozen money or accounts), and I have not even heard of most of the other electronic transfer services. In particular I'm hoping for a service that would allow for credit card payment (not through Paypal, I'm not sure I trust them to delete the card when I tell them to).

As a note I'd need a decent amount of RAM (256 megs would be good) and transfer, but my needs aren't HUGELY taxing, mostly a small web server and a few MUDs.

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• You can use paypal with a prepaid card. That way it will only have the money on the card you put on it. If they freeze the account the card will still be good and can be used at stores , etc..... I never have a positive paypal balance in case they do freeze the account that way no funds get lost.

• @rguy said: I have heard quite a few bad things about Paypal

Having used PayPal for years myself, as well as taking care of the tens of thousands of incoming payments we get via PayPal, I can honestly sum up the service for you with one line: Don't try to rip them off or do anything shady, and you have nothing to really worry about.

• jhjh Member
    edited December 2011

Another recommendation for Paypal - never had any issues really apart from their website being really slow. They should consider one of our new cloud VPSs ;)

• @rguy said: a few MUDs

WOOT! :)

To be honest, I would contact the provider(s) that you're looking at and ask them if they have an alternative method of payment. No provider with a clue is going to turn away a possible client. Heck, I do shared hosting and we have a couple dozen folks who send in checks once a year.

• DimeCadmiumDimeCadmium Member
    edited December 2011

@Aldryic said: Don't try to rip them off or do anything shady, and you have nothing to really worry about.

I got marked for "need verification" when I got one just after I turned 18 earlier this year (presumably because I had no history, dunno). No good reason, I know that much. Would've had to send in proof of identity, proof of SSN, and proof of residence.

(Called them up a few months ago and complained about the spam they were sending me and they said "oh, let me try something... okay I verified you, bye!")

@drmike said: Heck, I do shared hosting and we have a couple dozen folks who send in checks once a year.

I've always wondered how many people actually do that.

• jhjh Member

I signed up when I was about 12 and they didn't badger me once..

• Same, I had another account when I was somewhere 11-13 and it was fine. Even got a Paypal debit card.

Then I got this one, tried to get a new card and they locked my account. :P

• @DimeCadmium said: I've always wondered how many people actually do that.

Probably less than 5% if that. We also deal with a couple clients who use purchase orders. Those suck as all it does is add another layer to the work load, just to get a check out of them.

• @rguy said: I have not even heard of most of the other electronic transfer services.

Well, in addition to PayPal, I offer Amazon (You have heard of them?) and Google (Or these guys?) as payment gateways.

• @drmike said: Probably less than 5% if that.

Yeah. In working at HostGator for 2 months (3-6 chats at once for 40 hours/week adds up to... a lot of chats) I saw a lot of PayPal and CC. Never once did I see check, money order, etc. But they accept it anyway! :p

• @DimeCadmium said: But they accept it anyway! :p

The trick is, of course, not to do it monthly. Those are either 6months or yearly for us.

• @DimeCadmium said: Never once did I see check, money order, etc. But they accept it anyway!

I accept Check/Money Order and have 1 woman in NC who sends me a money order every few months to restock her account.

• You should be able to pay by CC via paypal without signing up for an account, or have they completely disabled that?

That said, I've used pp for years without any problems.

• sigh

@qenox said: You should be able to pay by CC via paypal without signing up for an account, or have they completely disabled that?

This has already been covered. Please review the first post in the thread.

The poster doesn't trust Paypal to Delete the credit card information.

• Life's hard?

The option I was thinking of wouldn't create a paypal account, so the card would only be used to process the charge and that's it, so if you did a 1 time invoice payment there shouldn't be anything stored long term. Again, I'm not sure if they still do that.

• @qenox said: so if you did a 1 time invoice payment there shouldn't be anything stored long term.

Again, this has already been covered. Please review the original post in this thread. The poster doesn't trust them to delete the card information. Doesn't matter if they actually do or not.

@Aldryic I swear I'm trying to give @qenox the benefit of the doubt but....

• @drmike, he asked for a way around it, that would be one.

OR if the OP is that worried, simply buy a prepaid credit card and used that. But I guess I can't say that since someone already said that.

• @drmike said: @Aldryic I swear I'm trying to give @qenox the benefit of the doubt but....

Well, in his favor he just asked me for some tips... maybe he's actually trying? \o

• @DimeCadmium, well... yes? :) thanks for the info btw.

• @DimeCadmium said: I got marked for "need verification" when I got one just after I turned 18 earlier this year (presumably because I had no history, dunno). No good reason

The real reasonings behind those is often not you, but the person you're purchasing from. I deal with maybe 5-10 of these a month, and in 99% of them the client never has to get involved. Maybe 1 in 10 is actually something with the client (using a proxy without realizing, etc)... the rest are just selections from a rather complex ruleset PayPal uses for their spot checks.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I <3 Google Checkout (or Wallet now...). I wish I could ditch Paypal all together and stick with Google CO but everybody still uses Paypal. As a provider, Google CO is a much better option for us with much better security checks and fraud screening.

I really hate Paypal's "after-the-fact warnings"...

Hi, it's your buddy Paypal, we know we processed an order last week and told you everything was super good but we just realized we shouldn't have. Please don't ship the item if you haven't already.

• ...what Ald? No no, this was when I tried to get a PayPal debitcard and they ran whatever checks. i.e. I failed some check.

• Would love to signup for Google CO, but it's not available to CA. Annoying part is that the signup gives no warning, just goes to a 404 page.

• I say go for American Legal tender only! IDC if you do not operate or live in America. American cash only is accepted at the going rate of exchange at the time of the transaction. Mail it in.

• @DimeCadmium said: ...what Ald? No no, this was when I tried to get a PayPal debitcard and they ran whatever checks. i.e. I failed some check.

Aaah, I gotcha. I thought you meant that "We are holding this transaction pending review" business.

• @Aldryic said: Aaah, I gotcha. I thought you meant that "We are holding this transaction pending review" business.

That just means we are keeping your money until we can figure out a way to screw you out of it.

• @rguy said: NOT require PayPal, or better yet, a way around this

That's why I'm always recommending PaySafeCard. It's secure for both sides and no personal data is saved somewhere.

• @KuJoe said: As a provider, Google CO is a much better option for us with much better security checks and fraud screening.

+1 on that. Paypal's fraud checks are too slow (days later, they tell us "hey! that ended up being fraud! we'll take your money back!") while Google's is pretty much within a few minutes, if it even passes into our system at all. I also wish that we could drop Paypal, but everyone still uses it...

• japonjapon Member
    edited December 2011

@Damian4IPXcore said: I also wish that we could drop Paypal, but everyone still uses it

The problem is that Google Wallet is not available in many countries. Paypal is. The second problem with Google Wallet/Checkout is that Google only accepts US style of payment (ie CC) whereas Paypal sticks to the domestic methods of payment. In Europe CC (except UK maybe) are not that popular, so probably a reason why Paypal is more widely used here. (Besides the fact that is has a European bank license which might cause more trust by the customers.)

• I suppose we hadn't thought of how much market penetration Google Wallet has. Thanks for the input!