Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Payment Methods for VPS Providers? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Payment Methods for VPS Providers?

13»

Comments

• @qenox you do realize that the scammers read these forums as well, right? There are ways to run checks on people. Not sure if I would feel comfortable discussing that.

If the police come to me with a warrant for a record (Very unlikely in this town) all I can do is hand over the information that I have. If I don't have it, well then I don't have it.

• @drmike, of course, don't discuss what you are not comfortable with :) but I'm sure they have lots of methods to get their schemes done... the point I was trying to make is that accepting cash lowers accountability; that's all. Checks, etc. are just fine.

• I personally wouldn't accept money-by-mail unless by recorded delivery, otherwise it'd really only leave us in poo street if cash wash lost or mis-handled.

Thanked by 1japon
  • Most people who accept pay-by-mail of any form require proof of ID, at least the larger places - driver's license scan/photo (in the US), etc. Also, you're not supposed to send cash in USPS mail.

@jtodd said: Pretty much. When @Infinity mailed me cash I had to physically go to the bank and deposit it, where they charged me a cash handling fee, then go back to the office and manually add the payment into the system.

You have to pay to put money in the account, i.e. to let them loan it out? :P

• @DimeCadmium said: You have to pay to put money in the account, i.e. to let them loan it out? :P

That wouldn't surprise me. Banks exist solely to make money for themselves, fuck the customers. I'm sure American banks are going to start having crap like counter fees and cash handling fees soon too.

• @NickM, ...probably. I do truly hate banks. At least mine is one of the "better" ones (IMO), I guess.

• @EaseVPS said: Then if i need anything just pay on a card, It works and It is easy.

Yes in the US. But there are quite a few other countries where CC are very uncommon.

• Credit Cards being uncommon... yes, they mostly are. But how about checks? I have never seen or touched one myself :) Nobody here uses checks.

• @DimeCadmium said: @NickM, ...probably. I do truly hate banks. At least mine is one of the "better" ones (IMO), I guess.

move to a cu bro

• japonjapon Member
    edited December 2011

@rds100 said: Credit Cards being uncommon... yes, they mostly are. But how about checks? I have never seen or touched one myself :) Nobody here uses checks.

I guess that depends on where you live. In the EU they have been abandoned because the Eurocheque-agreement ended and was transferred into the plastic money called Maestro. So if you happen to have a normal bank-account with a debit card in the EU you are using technically an Eurocheque every time.

• @japon yes i am in EU and i think i have a maestro somewhere (which i am not using), but i have never used or seen a cheque on paper.
    I guess it is popular only in US and UK.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@qenox said: Right, but what if something happened and I deny having sent you cash? Then what. Cash is still untraceable.

Trace ma DNA :P

• drmikedrmike Member
    edited December 2011

@NickM said: I'm sure American banks are going to start having crap like counter fees and cash handling fees soon too.

They already do. Bank of America just had an issue when they got rid of their free checking. Lost a lot of clients on it. Not sure where they went since most of the other banks haven't done real free checking in years.

@Infinity said: Trace ma DNA :P

What makes you think that THEY haven't yet?

• @DimeCadmium said: I do truly hate banks. At least mine is one of the "better" ones (IMO), I guess.

There are no good banks, but credit unions are in it only for their members, unlike banks.

• @miTgiB said: but credit unions are in it only for their members

I went into the transit one here in Charlotte and all they wanted to take about were their fees.

Sorry, I don't think they're any better.

• japonjapon Member
    edited December 2011

@drmike said: Sorry, I don't think they're any better.

Don't you have co-operative or public banks in the US? At least here in France most people have their account at a co-operative bank. In Germany most people have their money with public banks.

• @japon said: a co-operative bank

SUre, we have co-operative banks here in the US. I give them the money. They take the money. Lots of cooperation there. ;)

Thanked by 2japon Infinity
  • @drmike said: I give them the money. They take the money.

I thought those were money changers. Changing the money from your hand to theirs.

• edited December 2011

We have building societys here. In terms of building societys I am currently with nationwide, cheshire and cambridge and was with halifax when they demutualised (earned a few thousand pound when sold I my shares).

Building societys are good as members have more of a voice and you pay less fees and get better interest rates if your saving and low rates if your borrowing normally.

Thanked by 1japon
  • DimeCadmiumDimeCadmium Member
    edited December 2011

@justinb said: move to a cu bro

That's what my "better"/regular one is actually. http://goamplify.com/

It's not that much better at a CU than a bank though, unfortunately. Apparently though they don't have international txn fees anymore (which surprised the heck out of me, because they did as of August 1). I checked all over their site and called up and they don't.

Of course, I'm sure the merchants will take care of that when I'm traveling here soon.

@japon, unless I'm wrong about coop bank, CU = coop bank. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Credit_union

• Simple/banksimple looks very interesting new someone who was doing a bit of work with them before they left new york for oregon,

• Simple/banksimple looks very interesting new someone who was doing a bit of work with them before they left new york for oregon,

• @DimeCadmium said: unless I'm wrong about coop bank, CU = coop bank.

CU are a part of co-operative banks, yes. But they're are not the only ones. You also have mutual saving banks, co-operative banks that are differently structured than CU etc.

But in general you get much more service for much less costs at co-operative banks. The private banks are more interesting for big national and international business transactions. As a private person you should really check if it's worth with your few dollars to go to a private bank (let alone the risk of capital losses as private banks are traded on the stock exchange).

• We plan on accepting dwalla whenever they create a decent module.

• vps6netvps6net Member
    edited February 2012

@BlueVM We've been looking at Dwolla as well, and might just integrate it ourselves if someone else doesn't do it soon. I'll let you know if we do!

• dmmcintyre3dmmcintyre3 Member
    edited February 2012

@AuroraZ

@AuroraZ said: No system is perfect and if the host did not have a fraud check, or not a good one then that is why.

Did you just say BuyVM, Hostigation, SecureDragon, VMPort, Kiloserve, Burst.net, ChicagoVPS, DMBHosting, 123systems and every other VPS provider I used have bad fraud checks?

Thanked by 1Aldryic
  • I been using paypal for years never had a problem, use a prepaid credit/debt card.

• You could just create a moneybookers account and take their "credit card" which is in fact just a debit card that you can use as a credit card, this would unlock paypal for you.

• @drmike said: I ran a Kinko's for 9 months. We averaged 3-4 folks trying to copy money every day. :)

Lol :D