Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Payment Methods for VPS Providers? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Payment Methods for VPS Providers?

Comments

• @japon said: It's secure for both sides and no personal data is saved somewhere.

Yeah, that's an automatic no-go in my eyes. If someone doesn't want to be held accountable for their actions, they can take their business elsewhere :P

• japonjapon Member
    edited December 2011

@Aldryic said: Yeah, that's an automatic no-go in my eyes. If someone doesn't want to be held accountable for their actions, they can take their business elsewhere

So you don't pay anywhere by cash? ;)

• Sure I do. But when I pay cash for something, I'm looking the person in the eye, and I know exactly where I'm spending the money.

• japonjapon Member
    edited December 2011

@Aldryic said: I'm looking the person in the eye, and I know exactly where I'm spending the money.

So you're more afraid of the seller (ie VPS provider) then. Because for the seller PaySafeCard is quite secure because you get the money without the ability for the payer to revoke. The argument for the buyer using PSC would be to be sure that his CC-info can't be stolen by someone. In this sense I guess PSC is quite good.

PSC acts like cash. Once you have it in your hand its yours.

• @japon said: PSC acts like cash. Once you have it in your hand its yours.

I doubt it will fly when our overloads (Government) wants to track every transaction, no matter how large or small. egold was great like that too, look where they are now.

• It seems like a good system for one-off payments, or playing it safe for a provider you're unsure about turning over your CC information to. Sadly, since there's no accountability, it wouldn't be an option for us though. I frequently use gateway logs in my audits for tracking down duplicate accounts, people trying to sign back up after being banned, etc.

• japonjapon Member
    edited December 2011

@Aldryic said: Sadly, since there's no accountability, it wouldn't be an option for us though.

Sure, that's the downside of cash or alike in general. It involves extra coordination in terms of accountability. But then again, how does MoneyGram or Western Union do it? Do they provide an API?

@miTgiB said: our overloads (Government) wants to track every transaction, no matter how large or small

It's actually quite sad that there's no real cash alike product in the digital world available.

• @japon said: that's the downside of cash

Cash is king, for a physical product or settle a debt, but for a service like a VPS, you are not coming into my house as an anonymous person. Be as anonymous over the net as you wish, but when the door knocks and someone in authority wants to know about you, with proper warrants in hand, you are being handed over to the man.

• japonjapon Member
    edited December 2011

@miTgiB said: but for a service like a VPS, you are not coming into my house as an anonymous person.

Well, I can fully understand that. But how do you know that the person using Mail In Payment is really the person pretending it is? (Apart from the fact that I'd never send cash via mail.)

• @japon said: But how do you know that the person using Mail In Payment is really the person pretending it is?

I've met them.

• @japon said: But how do you know that the person using Mail In Payment is really the person pretending it is?

We verify the mailing address. Still not a true solution but better than nothing.

• We have accepted Western Union in the past, under the circumstance that the client is willing to provide proof of identity. WU payments are a bit of a pain to work into Fran's schedule, though, so we discontinued that some time ago.

• jhjh Member

@japon said: Well, I can fully understand that. But how do you know that the person using Mail In Payment is really the person pretending it is?

That person has gone to quite a bit of trouble to do so

• Well, so I guess distance payments always need a man-in-the-middle to handle and verify the payment.

• @drmike said: The poster doesn't trust Paypal to Delete the credit card information.

That, of course, is super ridiculous.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@japon said: Well, I can fully understand that. But how do you know that the person using Mail In Payment is really the person pretending it is? (Apart from the fact that I'd never send cash via mail.)

Well, I've done it before. Simple really, when I sent £25 to @jtodd which was a one off and all I did was put a piece of paper in with my email address, phone number etc. :)

• JacobJacob Member
    edited December 2011

I think this option is good money via mail, I seperate my online money from my cash.
    Then if i need anything just pay on a card, It works and It is easy.

• Ok, let's say someone pays by cash, by mail; what if they spam or host illegal material. How are you going to track down the individual and proof it's their account?

• That's assuming the authorities or your noc are requesting that info.

• @qenox said: Ok, let's say someone pays by cash, by mail; what if they spam or host illegal material. How are you going to track down the individual and proof it's their account?

You still have to pass the fraud checks and what not. If the address you give is to a convenience store or the middle of the desert you will not pass. Or if no one with a name remotely like yours lives at the address you give you will not pass. I am sure the provider will check the information before they say yes you can send the payment in. Unless the provider is a rip off but then you need to research your host.

• @AuroraZ said: Or if no one with a name remotely like yours lives at the address

How would you know who lives at an address?

• @dmmcintyre3 said: How would you know who lives at an address?

Reverse directory listings exist. Also many companies do background checks cheap. Public court record databases. Heck whitepages.com will usually give you some information.

• @qenox said: Ok, let's say someone pays by cash, by mail; what if they spam or host illegal material. How are you going to track down the individual and proof it's their account?

Those are also the accounts you sit on until they prove that they're safe.

Never said I trusted those clients. They have to earn that trust.

Of course with so many stolen credit card accounts out there, even those shouldn't be considered safe.

• @drmike said: Of course with so many stolen credit card accounts out there, even those shouldn't be considered safe.

That right there would probably scare me more then a cash transaction.

• drmikedrmike Member
    edited December 2011

@AuroraZ said: That right there would probably scare me more then a cash transaction.

I ran a Kinko's for 9 months. We averaged 3-4 folks trying to copy money every day. :)

• dmmcintyre3dmmcintyre3 Member
    edited December 2011

For about a year I used a PayPal account from another country with a datacenter's address on it and I never had any issues with hosts not accepting my payment. Why would someone accept that but not something like mailed cash?

(BTW, I never added any money to it, all I spent was ad income or donations)

• @dmmcintyre3 said: Why would someone accept that but not something like mailed cash?

Accounting probably. If it's a credit card, it's in the system. If it's cash, you have to handle it specially.

Thanked by 1japon
  • @drmike said: I ran a Kinko's for 9 months. We averaged 3-4 folks trying to copy money every day. :)

That sounds about like the people that live in this lovely little town I currently reside in lol.

@dmmcintyre3 said: For about a year I used a PayPal account from another country with a datacenter's address on it and I never had any issues with hosts not accepting my payment. Why would someone accept that but not something like mailed cash?

No system is perfect and if the host did not have a fraud check, or not a good one then that is why. When you have a cash customer is it entirely up to the host to make sure your credentials check out. With paypal at least some of the duty of that SHOULD lie with them. I am not saying it DOES but I am saying that it SHOULD.

• jhjh Member

@drmike said: Accounting probably. If it's a credit card, it's in the system. If it's cash, you have to handle it specially.

Pretty much. When @Infinity mailed me cash I had to physically go to the bank and deposit it, where they charged me a cash handling fee, then go back to the office and manually add the payment into the system.

• Right, but what if something happened and I deny having sent you cash? Then what. Cash is still untraceable.