Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH change pricing, could be UK only, current and existing customers. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH change pricing, could be UK only, current and existing customers.

Comments

• racksxracksx Member
    edited December 2016

@AnthonySmith, would be nice to see the reason to increase the prices to DE/FR, as for the UK is the Brexit, what would be for DE FR etc...
    and to be honest I expected the increase

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

racksx said: @AnthonySmith, would be nice to see the reason to increase the prices to DE/FR, as for the UK is the Brexit, what would be for DE FR etc... and to be honest I expected the increase

The real reason that they will never publicly give is obviously profit, pure and simple, they are essentially saying they buy from the UK, brexit has hurt them because of currency uncertainty so they need to put prices up.

That will be the reason they give for every EU hike, bexit and they buy from the UK.

• SpartanHostSpartanHost Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2016

@AnthonySmith said:

racksx said: @AnthonySmith, would be nice to see the reason to increase the prices to DE/FR, as for the UK is the Brexit, what would be for DE FR etc... and to be honest I expected the increase

The real reason that they will never publicly give is obviously profit, pure and simple, they are essentially saying they buy from the UK, brexit has hurt them because of currency uncertainty so they need to put prices up.

That will be the reason they give for every EU hike, bexit and they buy from the UK.

Would it not be cheaper for them buying from the UK though now than before? Is the price increase not because they're getting less euros when they convert the same pounds amount to euros? I know you mentioned it's only about 10% difference or so now though.

SpartanHost said: Would it not be cheaper for them buying from the UK though now than before?

Sort of however what has been happening here in big industry is that because they (UK Based companies) have to buy in a significant amount from overseas to manufacture that British companies are paying more because of the devaluation of the GBP so they have put their own prices up.

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

@AnthonySmith said:

boernd said: Just got a minor heart attack, just to see it affects UK only.

If it makes you feel better, you keep thinking that :)

Not received any email from OVH either (paying in EUR to OVH NL).

• By the way I just called the OVH Support in germany and they say it's probably UK only. They are not aware of any changes in prices for "OVH DE"

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • Paying for Kimsufi servers from their IE site, but in Euro and paying in Euro for my OVH server. Not got any mail yet.

• I've got the same mail although I'm registered on OVH.ie, but I had transferred the server from .co.uk account. I also pay in EUR. So maybe it's because of the transfer?

You think the support staff in the UK knew about this when the decision was made? it has nothing to do with tech support.

If you do not think other regions will follow I envy your mindset, it might not be now but it will happen.

Thanked by 1zafouhar
  • Just got confirmation. Its for UK customers that are paying with pounds only.

• So OVH Staff replied on this: https://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?11703-SYS-20-Price-Increase-for-New-and-Existing-Customers

with:

"I can confirm this does not affect the Kimsufi or SyS ranges, this is only related to OVH.co.uk Dedicated Servers. "

Thanked by 2doughmanes vimalware
  • perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2016

AnthonySmith said: If you do not think other regions will follow I envy your mindset, it might not be now but it will happen.

I mean, they did the same thing in September 2015:

OVH buys 93% of the components of a server in USD. The reference prices are

therefore in USD and available at https://www.ovh.com/us [https://www.ovh.com/us/] . Our prices in EUR, PLN and CAD are directly linked to the USD/EUR, USD/PLN
    and USD/CAD exchange rates.

2016 range:

Over the past 18 months, the euro has depreciated by 20% against the dollar. The

prices of the new 2016 range of servers have been affected by this change.

2014 range:

The prices of the 2014 range were calculated based on a EUR/USD exchange rate of

$1.38, whereas today the exchange rate is $1.10. The prices of the 2014 range
    have therefore been revalued by 10% to 15% on average to take into account the
    reality of the cost prices of servers in USD. The 2014 range is still available,
    under the new prices, on OVH.com. The 2013 range is also still available on
    OVH.com under the previous prices for as long as stocks last.

The options:

We have chosen to retain the prices for options on servers already rented out.

However, we have recalculated the prices of the options on new rentals (the 2014
    and 2016 ranges), based on the new EUR/USD exchange rate. Thus, the end prices
    have been affected by some price increases and decreases.

Exceptions:

The prices of the 2014 Hosting range remain unchanged because many customers

have not installed a licence, and these unused licences on average negate the
    impact of the change in EUR/USD exchange rate. The price of servers launched at
    the end of 2015 (SP-32/EG-16/MC) have already been calculated with the new
    EUR/USD exchange rate; therefore their price will remain unchanged.

If it took them a year to replicate this in UK (if that's what you're saying, that this is all part of the same trend), there's no reason why it won't take at least another year to do it in other currencies.

• In b4 we get the deluge of how do I change uk account to ca or us

• I'm a UK customer also, but I have not yet received the email.

• I have kimsufi servers billed via OVH, the 2.99 euro ones. I wonder if they will class these as OVH or kimsufi servers?

• @wokenwoll might be able to clarify / make an official statement on LET.

Well I pay in GBP for a kimsufi in France and it affects me, so anyone that has had 'confirmation' to the contrary should question the accuracy of your 'confirmation'

When you have worked in large global scale companies you will often find the front lines i.e. support and billing staff are the last ones to know or hear something from 'Brian' or 'Dave' and then start telling people things like it is gospel only to end up being completely misinformed later.

Anyway, I don't really care, the price increase is minimal, OVH in general provide a huge range of very useful services, if the extra money helps accelerate that I am fine with a price hike.

At least they are growing and progressing, it is not like the WHMCS price rise where things have just got worse and less useful and they raise the price anyway with no specific target for the extra revenue.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    Well I pay in GBP for a kimsufi in France

Interesting, I've leased 2 Kimsufis, both through kimsufi.co.uk and never realised it was actually possible to pay in GBP. The UK site always switched payment to EUR, never thought much of it until now.

• ZareZare Member, Host Rep

Hardware prices for British hosting companies have gone up recently, however our server prices will remain stable. Newer technologies have allowed us to keep our footprint costs very low, as well as failing transit prices.

If UK companies don't want their server prices fluctuating because of exchange rates, bring them home!

Thanked by 1HyperSpeed
  • A company that does not have profit will eventually give bad service to customers too however this is very stupid to increase price for existing customers.

• @wwwho existing customers without a LONG TERM CONTRACT. A customer could have prepaid for a year and locked in prices. But the customer probably wanted the ability to jump to lower priced servers over time. Well in this case the customers now have to pay for that flexibility for not assessing risk appropriately.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Whew good, I've been reselling at a 1% markup from the Canada location. Looks like I'm good for now. If they change it here though, I'll probably sue. I've been taking legal classes on YouTube so I'm kind of an expert.

• Phew. Glad to be out.

• and here I thought you were "studying law in school" LOL

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@OhMyMy said:
    and here I thought you were "studying law in school" LOL

Are you saying YouTube is not a proper school?

TRIGGERED!

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • UDEMY carries more prestige I think

• @OhMyMy said:
    UDEMY carries more prestige I think

OTOH, URMOM carries more weight.

• user123 said: OTOH, URMOM carries more weight.

And she farts too !

• Motherfuckers.

Thanked by 2Tom TheLonely
  • Shot2Shot2 Member
    edited December 2016

Good. All the anal-retentive, spam-mailing, piracy-downloading, mass-video-recoding Joe Cheapoes of the world will ragequit OVH to find a new place, and leave us faithful customers with lots of available bandwidth and fresh air to cool our sweet little servers :)