Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

INCERO - Holding hardware hostage & some extras - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

INCERO - Holding hardware hostage & some extras

Comments

• @OhMyMy said:
    You have a bunch of randoms on a website throwing around terms such as fraud, etc. This is not competent advice, this is randoms (albeit some very experienced in IT) offering legal opinions (without demonstrated State of Texas legal competence. My humble advice- if you feel aggrieved, find an attorney in Dallas to give a consult or call the law school or call the state bar assoc for a referral. All of us have opinions, none of us know in totality what was promised, delivered, or where a lien on property was forced upon you (seizure of equipment in lieu of rent). So I guess its take the loss, negotiate, or hire an attorney but you knew that before you started ranting everywhere.

I actually study law at school, so I have at least some idea. I'll try contact an attorney in the US tomorrow.

• AndreixAndreix Member, Host Rep

@ascendrix said:
    I actually study law at school.

Please don't say that... please.

• @Clouvider said:

@ascendrix said:

@Andreix said:
    Not sure I get all this story.

> > > 1) Incero have policies
    > > > 2) ascendrix read them (or not?!) and don't agree with them
    > > > 3) even if #2, he still placed an order and paid it
    > > > 4) incero did something covered by their ToS
    > > > 5) ascendrix is basically now covering all the "what to do when you want to be rejected by all providers" checklist
    > > > 6) some blah, blah, blah about incero taking his hardware for him taking their money
    > > > 

Well ... who's the bad guy? I can only see a "you take money, we take hardware" payback.

I never read nor agreed with their TOS and INCERO never even pointed out they have a TOS, read the whole thread. I never ticket a box saying I have read and agreed their TOS either, otherwise I wouldn't have placed the order.

It doesn't matter now since you've filled a chargeback/dispute/complaint that resulted in payments being reversed. This in turn means that even if you had rights from the contract - you don't have them any more.

That's not accurate I do not lose my rights under a such contract by doing so (there's probably some fineprint in the PayPal TOS too).

• miamiconsultantmiamiconsultant Member, Patron Provider

KuJoe said: Incero provided useful information to the discussion and is allowed to defend themselves

It's unfortunate, a lot of providers will not share private customer communications under any circumstance.

They do say in their ToS that all communications belong to them, and that they have the right to share your personal information without asking first.

Thanked by 1ascendrix
  • @Andreix said:

@ascendrix said:

@Andreix said:
    Not sure I get all this story.

> > > 1) Incero have policies
    > > > 2) ascendrix read them (or not?!) and don't agree with them
    > > > 3) even if #2, he still placed an order and paid it
    > > > 4) incero did something covered by their ToS
    > > > 5) ascendrix is basically now covering all the "what to do when you want to be rejected by all providers" checklist
    > > > 6) some blah, blah, blah about incero taking his hardware for him taking their money
    > > > 

Well ... who's the bad guy? I can only see a "you take money, we take hardware" payback.

I never read nor agreed with their TOS and INCERO never even pointed out they have a TOS, read the whole thread. I never ticket a box saying I have read and agreed their TOS either, otherwise I wouldn't have placed the order.

So ... you had no clue about their policy and still placed the order?

Damn.

Yup, that was my mistake. I should've asked about it. In most European countries (and in Texas probably as well, through the UCC) there are standard/predefined provisions if the parties don't sign a contract.

• @miamiconsultant said:

KuJoe said: Incero provided useful information to the discussion and is allowed to defend themselves

It's unfortunate, a lot of providers will not share private customer communications under any circumstance.

They do say in their ToS that all communications belong to them, and that they have the right to share your personal information without asking first.

Once again, I never agreed to their TOS, but I don't mind them publishing the ticket history.

• TL;DR ?

@ascendrix said:
    Yup, that was my mistake. I should've asked about it. In most European countries (and in Texas probably as well, through the UCC) there are standard/predefined provisions if the parties don't sign a contract.

You're wrong.
    I live in EU, Romania, and there's no possible legal way to provide a service without a proper contract as you have to offer some clauses.

Every provider must have his standard contract (electronic or physical).

• @dotted said:
    TL;DR ?

Yup, I didn't think this was going to be so long. In short: My mistake was not to have asked about any terms or TOS in the first place. INCERO's mistake was to not have informed me about it.

dotted said: TL;DR ?

Incero colo has a minimum 6 month term that isn't stated in their product or advertisement, but is stated in their ToS.

@ascendrix says he didn't read or accept the ToS, but Incero is still demanding money and holding his equipment.

Thanked by 1ascendrix
  • @Andreix said:

@ascendrix said:

You're wrong.
    I live in EU, Romania, and there's no possible legal way to provide a service without a proper contract as you have to offer some clauses.

Every provider must have his standard contract (electronic or physical).

A contract doesn't necessarily mean TOS, only some essential elements (the law is very vague about that) have to be set, nothing else. Signing/accepting a quote stating a price and a term can create a contract (that's what happened with INCERO in my case). Elements such as the cancellation period etc. are then set by law, precedent judicial decisions or normal/standard practices.

• PepeSilviaPepeSilvia Member
    edited December 2016

OP you're either inexperienced and incompetent, or just being a dick with the whole TOS thing.

Every service that someone provides you has certain terms. Just because they didn't make you click a checkbox (called clickwrap) doesn't mean you get a free pass at doing whatever you want.

If they had changed the TOS with these clauses after you signed up, then I'd understand being blindsided by the changes.

• TL;DR - be over 18 and sign a contract after you read it multiple times. Insure your equipment, make sure your vendor provides you with their insurance information. Know the cost of leaving before you ever start.

• @miamiconsultant said:

Incero colo has a minimum 6 month term that isn't stated in their product or advertisement, but is stated in their ToS.

@ascendrix says he didn't read or accept the ToS, but Incero is still demanding money and holding his equipment.

I've also asked INCERO several times to prove that I accepted their TOS, but they haven't been able to produce anything yet.

• @PepeSilvia said:
    OP you're either inexperienced and incompetent, or just being a dick with the whole TOS thing.

Every service that someone provides you has certain terms. Just because they didn't make you click a checkbox (called clickwrap) doesn't mean you get a free pass at doing whatever you want.

If they had changed the TOS with these clauses after you signed up, then I'd understand not agreeing to that new version of the TOS.

If you don't agree to anything what applies is whatever some statute like the UCC (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_Commercial_Code) or something else stipulates and what's on the quote you've accepted. I do agree that I should've asked about this before signing up though.

edited December 2016

ascendrix said: I've also asked INCERO several times to prove that I accepted their TOS, but they haven't been able to produce anything yet.

That part is also civil, as others have suggested you should contact the local police and ask them if they can help you recover your property.

Most dataenters I have been involved with don't sequester customer equipment this way because they risk taking other customers down if the police come and take the equipment by force.

Thanked by 1ascendrix
  • @miamiconsultant said:

ascendrix said: I've also asked INCERO several times to prove that I accepted their TOS, but they haven't been able to produce anything yet.

That part is also civil, as others have suggested you should contact the local police and ask them if they can help you recover your property.

Most dataenters I have been involved with don't sequester customer equipment this way because they risk taking other customers down if the police come and take the equipment by force.

I hoped that we'd fine a more peaceful way to resolve this. I'll have a chat with a lawyer about this tomorrow or I'll try to contact the local police as suggested.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@miamiconsultant said:

The communication was private until the OP posted it publicly at which time Incero was within their rights to defend themselves publicly without violating any laws. They did not post anything personally identifiable (they redacted the clients name) and only provided information regarding the complaint. Instead of "he said, she said" back and forth Incero opted to provide the communications between both parties which shed some light onto the situation that was previously undisclosed by the OP.

That being said, it would have been better if Incero had asked the OP's permission to post the ticket but that's more an courtesy thing than an ethical/professional one.

• @KuJoe said:

@miamiconsultant said:

The communication was private until the OP posted it publicly at which time Incero was within their rights to defend themselves publicly without violating any laws. They did not post anything personally identifiable (they redacted the clients name) and only provided information regarding the complaint. Instead of "he said, she said" back and forth Incero opted to provide the communications between both parties which shed some light onto the situation that was previously undisclosed by the OP.

That being said, it would have been better if Incero had asked the OP's permission to post the ticket but that's more an courtesy thing than an ethical/professional one.

I fully agree with them posting the ticket and I think it's a good thing they did that to avoid any misunderstandings.

• @Andreix said:

@ascendrix said:

It's the truth, I actually love reading what some other people call "boring stuff" and then try to interpret it.

• @ascendrix said:

@miamiconsultant said:

I've also asked INCERO several times to prove that I accepted their TOS, but they haven't been able to produce anything yet.

You're being a kid. You bought the product/service, I'm 100% you accepted their TOS during the process. In the last few threads related to subjects like this, it always comes up to 2 things : Read the damn TOS + Companies can and will change their TOS to suit their businesses.

Also, Provider tag ?

ascendrix said: It's the truth, I actually love reading what some other people call "boring stuff" and then try to interpret it.

KEK

Thanked by 1BrianHarrison

dotted said: You bought the product/service, I'm 100% you accepted their TOS during the process.

He has asked Incero to provide a signature or some type of proof that he accepted the ToS over at WHT.
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1617495

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited December 2016

@miamiconsultant said:

dotted said: You bought the product/service, I'm 100% you accepted their TOS during the process.

He has asked Incero to provide a signature or some type of proof that he accepted the ToS over at WHT.

That's a pretty dick move. I mean he can pull up the TOS on archive.org and if it's different then maybe that's an argument. Not reading it and then later claiming you didn't agree to it is just trying to weasel out of it. It's not something you try to do as an honest person with values, in my opinion.

I'd feel that way if it was a host I despised.

• @jarland said:

@miamiconsultant said:

That's a pretty dick move. I mean he can pull up the TOS on archive.org and if it's different then maybe that's an argument. Not reading it and then later claiming you didn't agree to it is just trying to weasel out of it. It's not something you try to do as an honest person with values, in my opinion.

I'd feel that way if it was a host I despised.

They never asked me to accept or confirm that I accept their TOS. I asked them to produce evidence in the ticket and in the post that I did so and they haven't done anything yet.

• @dotted said:

@ascendrix said:

@miamiconsultant said:

You're being a kid. You bought the product/service, I'm 100% you accepted their TOS during the process. In the last few threads related to subjects like this, it always comes up to 2 things : Read the damn TOS + Companies can and will change their TOS to suit their businesses.

Also, Provider tag ?

ascendrix said: It's the truth, I actually love reading what some other people call "boring stuff" and then try to interpret it.

KEK

From a legal perspective I didn't agree to their TOS. I do agree that I was stupid/naive and that I should've at least asked about it. I certainly learned my lesson here.

edited December 2016

ascendrix said: They never asked me to accept or confirm that I accept their TOS. I asked them to produce evidence in the ticket and in the post that I did so and they haven't done anything yet.

Right. You know what you're doing. You know that signing up with a provider is effectively, morally, an acceptance of their openly available policy. I'm no lawyer, I'm not saying you can't build a case that you didn't accept it. I'm saying you're not a nice person for trying to use that angle to weasel out of it when the policy was right there and available for your consumption on signup.

Thanked by 2deadbeef vimalware
  • @jarland said:

ascendrix said: They never asked me to accept or confirm that I accept their TOS. I asked them to produce evidence in the ticket and in the post that I did so and they haven't done anything yet.

Right. You know what you're doing. You know that signing up with a provider is effectively an acceptance of their open policy. I'm no lawyer, I'm not saying you can't build a case that you didn't accept it. I'm saying you're not a nice person for trying to use that angle to weasel out of it when the policy was right there and available for your consumption on signup.

I signed up via e-mail, not through their site or portal. I obtained all information (except for one live chat) via Skype and their post on WHT. If I'd have seen their TOS I would've gone with Psychz right away.

edited December 2016

ascendrix said: I signed up via e-mail, not through their site or portal. I obtained all information (except for one live chat) via Skype and their post on WHT. If I'd have seen their TOS I would've gone with Psychz right away.

Yeah, okay. You never visited their website, never looked for a terms of service, never read it. So if I can't conclude that you're not a nice person for trying to weasel out of it from this angle, I can conclude that you're massively incompetent. Pick the one you prefer, I guess.

@ascendrix said:

@Andreix said:

@ascendrix said:

It's the truth, I actually love reading what some other people call "boring stuff" and then try to interpret it.

You should consider replacing the "interpreting unit", it seems broken as it is now.

jarland said: That's a pretty dick move

A customer could say that a 'hidden' minimum term was the same.

Most people who try to do what Incero did here usually lose.
    http://www.americanbar.org/publications/communications_lawyer/2015/january/click_here.html

This discussion has been closed.