Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UK Migration Annoucement - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

UK Migration Annoucement

1235»

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@pubcrawler said: But having ability to deflect some level is many times better than no protection.

Cant argue with that, I am a big advocate of not letting what 'might' happen 10% of the time ruin a good idea that works the other 90% of the time.

• @AnthonySmith said: You cant win, well you can, but you need some laws or an elite team of ninja rabbits and a video camera.

Can I use the Ninja Squirrels that seemed to be camped outside my house?

edited April 2013

@AuroraZ you could however I doubt they would be as effective as:

image image

• This is very interesting, if I had a wad of spare cash I'd rent a few servers just to try and lure the attacker and stop the attacks for good.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@DomainBop said: script kiddies generally don't have the resources available to mount the type of large sustained attacks that have hit some UK providers.

You'd be surprised.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited April 2013

My confusion in all of this comes down to why are the DCs not dropping routes for the incoming attackers instead of null routing their customers. If this is on such a large level, and these guys are supposed to be professionals in networking (thus they are running a data center) why are they not training their Network Engineers to handle this issue different. If you are watching netflow and you are getting 200k connections a second from a specific network, you drop the routes from that network until the garbage stops flowing, then when the provider upstream allowing the attack notices they are magically having traffic dropped, they will take notice that their network is sending a large amount of outgoing traffic to that network and connect the dots, then call and request their network routes be put back in place after correcting the problem.

I think the issue comes down to the fact that these data centers do not feel the customer is paying enough money for them to actually professionally address the issue. So instead, they tank the data and continue to try and charge the customer for it, and if they leave, no sweat off their backs. I can hear their management now, "The customer was only paying us $xxx.xx each month and churn is normal, so give it 2 weeks and someone else will take their place." and "Plus look at all this extra bandwidth we can charge them for."

I also imagine that most of these providers effected are likely renting their servers and do not have their own infrastructure in place, so this leaves them at the whim of the data center. As I have been saying from the start, providers should research and be sure to purchase their own networking equipment, servers, routers, ips and AS. That way, when issues like this occur they can manage their own network. Sadly, most in this industry can not afford the option of building their own infrastructure, so are left at the mercy of the data center. Thus like UGVPS they end up having to shut down the location. In the end this really makes my weary of using RapidSwitch or Coventry's network to begin with, because they are obviously not experienced enough to deal with the issue, or do not feel they are being paid enough to care about their customers in this situation. As to which of these is actually the case... we will never really know.

Anyways, good luck to all the UK providers and I really do hope that the dumb ass doing this grows up, or ends up in jail.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

• edited April 2013

@Jack said: Because it's 180k+ IPs involved x ~2.5mbps

That's some capability

• @Jack said: Because it's 180k+ IPs involved x ~2.5mbps

Yeah, I understand this, but you are telling me if this was an attack against them directly or one of their other 'higher' paying customers that it couldn't be dealt with? Sure, I know there is a grey area here because most providers here are not paying for the most top notch and premium of their services... but still.

• I agree 100% with @TheLinuxBug.

Small dollar customers seem to be getting the shaft... It's discrimination based on economic contribution.

• @W1V_Lee said: 800 floppies in RAID-50

I wonder how many IOPS you'd get from that.

• And you'd get just over 1GB of total storage by my measurements. 1117.2 MB to be exact.