Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UK Migration Annoucement - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

UK Migration Annoucement

Comments

• udkudk Member
    edited April 2013

httpzoom and minivps still get hit occasionally, but they usually don't last long.

wish the attacks against UK hosts would stop

• LeeLee Veteran

It's just becoming an easy out to blame it on "another UK provider", there is no proof and it's entirely speculative without a single shred of evidence.

• @W1V_Lee said: It's just becoming an easy out to blame it on "another UK provider", there is no proof and it's entirely speculative without a single shred of evidence.

+1. Every announcement has blamed it on this "Other UK host" with no proof at all other than hear say.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@W1V_Lee said: It's just becoming an easy out to blame it on "another UK provider", there is no proof and it's entirely speculative without a single shred of evidence.

I don't blame them. At this point it's quite apparent that whoever is behind it is interested in the industry in this location rather than random personal attacks that just happen to be hitting these providers. Certainly it's possible, but the pattern clearly suggests intent to shut down UK providers that circle this little market.

@UGVPS I'm very sorry to hear about all of this and I hope that it doesn't cause you or your clients any more trouble than it has to.

• @jarland said: I don't blame them. At this point it's quite apparent that whoever is behind it is interested in the industry in this location rather than random personal attacks that just happen to be hitting these providers. Certainly it's possible, but the pattern clearly suggests intent to shut down UK providers that circle this little market.

Maybe someone just has a grudge against the British?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Why would someone be against the people who brought the world Monty python.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@jarland said: Certainly it's possible, but the pattern clearly suggests intent to shut down UK providers that circle this little market.

I would like to agree with you, but in this day and age where people seem to be intent in being arseholes just for the sake of it, it wouldn't surprise me if some little muppet hadn't started it out of rage, saw the reactions on forums, and the carried on for the 'lols'. Getting hosts to move out of the UK could just be an 'Achievement Unlocked' scenario for them.

I could be wrong, but I have little faith in humanity these days.

• trazxtrazx Member
    edited April 2013

Shame indeed. Very true what Nekki said, definitely no shortage of trolls around. When will there be a solution to these DDOS attacks. It seems no one is immune and no defense is resolute enough to withstand the barrage.

• I've never endured any downtime on my HTTPZoom box as of yet... Maidenhead Location.

• @trazx

Looks like we need a @Francisco over here with his Filtered IP's... :)

• If every UK LEB provider put their funds together towards a DDoS protected network in UK it would surely only cost each provider ~$1000/mo and everyone would be happy (except the attacker), no?

• @UGVPS said: If you are active on web hosting forums, you would be aware that a large number of VPS Hosts selling budget VPS located in the UK have been a target

I expected this as handy explanation right from beginning since "UK hosts under ddos" hysteria started.

@W1V_Lee said: It's just becoming an easy out to blame it on "another UK provider", there is no proof and it's entirely speculative without a single shred of evidence.

@GetKVM_Ash said: +1. Every announcement has blamed it on this "Other UK host" with no proof at all other than hear say.

Well, it's handy explanation, isn't it? If was funny last time when people start same theories and Jacob replied with: "This was actually a isolated issue with another customer in the DC, but it was affecting most people in the facility".

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited April 2013

@superpilesos said: If every UK LEB provider put their funds together towards a DDoS protected network in UK it would surely only cost each provider ~$1000/mo and everyone would be happy (except the attacker), no?

Every? Every UK provider don't have constant issues with ddos, and some of them actually find abusive/high risk clients to solve those issues with them while some others don't circlejerk here around to potentially piss of some people and instead of this actually provide decent stable service. In UK!
    Every case is different while blindly blaming some misterious competition still seems handy excuse because it redirect heat for downtime away from hosts to some unspecific threat out of their control. "everyone in UK have those problems" - yeah, sure...

• IshaqIshaq Member

Damn :/ Hope everything works out :)

• If every UK LEB provider put their funds together towards a DDoS protected network in UK it would surely only cost each provider ~$1000/mo

If a provider only has 1 or 2 nodes in the UK like UGVPS and a few others, an extra expense of $1000 monthly per provider wouldn't be in their budget. ..especially for the hosts like UGVPS that don't own their own equipment (or IP space or office space).

Spirit said "Every case is different while blindly blaming some misterious competition still seems handy excuse because it redirect heat for downtime away from hosts to some unspecific threat out of their control."

In the case of UGVPS that seems applicable when you look at their short 5-month history in the UK (migrating clients to a new datacenter and blaming the old DC for the problems, the old DC complaining that UGVPS still owed them money, frequent reboots/outages blamed on the DC or outside forces, etc).

Maybe someone just has a grudge against the British?

Cristina from Buenos Aires has a definite grudge against the British but I doubt if she'd take her revenge out by targeting small LEB providers in the UK. :P

• serverianserverian Member
    edited April 2013

@Spirit said: Every? Every UK provider don't have constant issues with ddos, and some of them actually find abusive/high risk clients to solve those issues with them while some others don't circlejerk here around to potentially piss of some people and instead of this actually provide decent stable service. In UK!

Every case is different while blindly blaming some misterious competition still seems handy excuse because it redirect heat for downtime away from hosts to some unspecific threat out of their control. "everyone in UK have those problems" - yeah, sure...

This may be correct actually. Since it never happened to more than 1 provider at the same time if I know correctly. Probably a guy is getting hosted in the UK and getting ddosed and changing host.

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited April 2013

Probably a guy is getting hosted in the UK and getting ddosed and changing host.

No, the attacks are definitely targeting the hosts not a customer because they cycle through all of the provider's IPs.

• edited April 2013

Was this a result of DDoS attacks?

...if I am honest as we have seen this in the past and it tends to happen to UK VPS hosts that hang out on lowendtalk.com... If you are a member there I would refrain posting there if I am honest (Ive told about 6 different UK VPS hosts the same thing and none of them actually pay any attention to me on this, stay away from that forum and you don't get DDoSed)...

and

...We see it so often with VPS hosts especially those on lowendtalk...

These are two quotes from a ticket with UKServers...

• lowendtalk is evil

• @DomainBop said: No, the attacks are definitely targeting the hosts not a customer because they cycle through all of the provider's IPs.

It can be used to force the company into terminating the client. But if the company doesn't know what's going on, there's obviously no point..

• UGVPSUGVPS Member
    edited April 2013

@DeanClinton said: I got the e-Mail. Can we hold on deciding until we know if you get any other non-US locations?

Anthony said it right, I would recommend asking to be migrated to Buffalo for now then once we introduce our new Europe location. The problem now is we don't have the infrastructure available in another Europe location, and it can take some time to talk to providers and to get hardware ready etc.

--

EDIT: [removed upon upstream's request]

• edited April 2013

Yeah, it's definitely a LETer. One of our nodes got hit about 15 minutes after our LEB ad went live. Quite quick, in my opinion.

I'd suspect it's either a UK host or someone offering services out of Buffalo/NYC where most UK providers flock to as the 'next best option' when things hit the fan...

• It's probably the american government. I'm sure they need an economy boost after barack lost all the money

• LukeTLukeT Member

Strange, 2nd host in the space of 2 weeks to pull out of UKServers(Coventry) The other being EaseVPS.

• @Jack said: That's quite interesting as it puts quite a few more people in the picture.

Yes, I don't think we should limit our sights to UK providers only. There are certainly shady American providers who could/would benefit as well if a UK provided left. I just wanted to toss that out there as it could very well be a possibility.

• Pony is coming to EU, hence clearing the space... (rumour #26648)

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited April 2013

someone offering services out of Buffalo/NYC where most UK providers flock to as the 'next best option' when things hit the fan...

Just to clarify this small point again, despite ColoCrossing's marketing spiel of "Buffalo is a great way to reach NYC", Buffalo is actually almost 400 miles from NYC. Baltimore, MD and Ashburn, VA are closer to NYC than Buffalo is...

None of the providers who have been hit have flocked to NYC. Buffalo (and upstate NY in general) are on a different planet (both geographically and culturally) :P

• edited April 2013

@DomainBop said: Just to clarify this small point again, despite ColoCrossing's marketing spiel of "Buffalo is a great way to reach NYC", Buffalo is actually almost 400 miles from NYC. Baltimore, MD and Ashburn, VA are closer to NYC than Buffalo is...

None of the providers who have been hit have flocked to NYC. Buffalo (and upstate NY in general) are on a different planet (both geographically and culturally) :P

Nah, I wasn't trying to say I speculate it was them. But when people make announcements to leave the UK they generally mention Buffalo, NYC, and other US east coast locations as you mentioned that have decent connections to the UK.

I still think it's likely a UK provider trying to be dominant, but can't rule out US providers either. Hell, really, it could be anyone.

• JacobJacob Member

@LukeT We haven't pulled out, just got rid off the VPS side of things as it makes little to no money.

• LeeLee Veteran

For me it really does not makes sense for it to be another provider in the UK, ok sure you can eliminate much of the competition but that does not mean you will benefit by many if any jumping to your service. In fact probably the opposite in that all people are doing is avoiding UK hosts, more so those advertising here.

There is mileage in what Curtis is suggesting that it could be someone in a different location altogether but once you look beyond the UK your options are so wide that there is no guarantee people will jump to you if that is the intention.

I am sticking with 2 UK providers that advertise on here for the moment, not because they are not getting attacked but at present they appear to be coping with the attacks.

I will stick with my suggestion since this all started that it's a member on here who perhaps had issue with a UK host that was connected to LEB/LET, attacked them, seen the damage and has just kept targeting the ones advertising here.

Doubt it's more than one person, these things are best kept secret that way.

Still think it's scare mongering to casually label "another host" as doing it and saying "lets wait and see who is left standing". All that's going to happen then is others are then tarred and feathered just because they got through it. Perhaps the ones not being as badly affected are in some ways lucky that whoever is behind this is actually hosting with them and as a result not shitting on their own doorstep so to speak.

Food for thought.