Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UK Migration Annoucement - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

UK Migration Annoucement

Comments

• But why UK ovz and not others like Xen and KVM? That isolates some more provider.

• It appears two popular (on here) UK datacenters are the targets of the ongoing stupidity.

What makes ZERO sense to me is the facilities and their upstreams not mitigating the attacks. Clearly, as stated earlier on other threads both facilities are saying the traffic comes all the way inside their network. I wonder why? If these facilities are actually big places like pretending to be, this should be dealt with upstream and thus, not a big cost incurred. Heck, one of the facilities advertises paid DDoS service.

People recommending Buffalo?!?!? Get a life. Buffalo is no replacement for the UK. It's across the Atlantic ocean and then entirely across the state of New York. I'd like to see what would happen to the single provider used in Buffalo if endless ongoing DDoS was launched against them there...

Providers need to stop dealing with retarded facilities and running naked without proper DDoS protection. Everyone pimps all this useless sh!t... Bazillion core, Intel, 5TB of RAM, 800 floppies in RAID-50, etc. Worry about your datacenter relationship and get this sh!t answered in presales, not post nuclear attack.

If you are a provider being bombed out of the UK, sorry, but big damn deal. Go elsewhere in Europe and offer services. It isn't like the UK has some great advantages. I suspect the low prices for beefy rental boxes is what lured these providers. Other deals out there.. Get shopping.

• @serverian said: it never happened to more than 1 provider at the same time

could be 1 client who moves every time a provider moves out of the UK and the attacker targets the entire host instead of the client's IPs.

• @pubcrawler said: It isn't like the UK has some great advantages.

There's sometimes language barriers with hosting in other European countries and the UK has the connections to the US.

• @MrAndroid said: UK has the connections to the US.

Is that a good thing?

• pubcrawlerpubcrawler Banned
    edited April 2013

@MrAndroid,

Latency from elsewhere in the Europe isn't much higher than UK. For customers in Europe it doesn't really matter where you are in Europe... Small enough area for low latency.

Now the English speaking part, certainly somewhat of an issue. Presales inquiry should determine English proficiency and that of the support staff.

Plenty of options out there folks. Way too much dependency on a handful of colo providers/dedicated sellers and bandwidth upstreams in this marketplace.

• @superpilesos said: Is that a good thing?

I was referring to the uplinks, not the "special relationship" :)

• LeeLee Veteran

@pubcrawler said: Providers need to stop dealing with retarded facilities and running naked without proper DDoS protection. Everyone pimps all this useless sh!t... Bazillion core, Intel, 5TB of RAM, 800 floppies in RAID-50, etc. Worry about your datacenter relationship and get this sh!t answered in presales, not post nuclear attack.

Makes them an easy target of course knowing that there is little protection. Whatever way you look at it DDoS protection comes at a price and for LET/LEB ranges it will take them out of that.

@superpilesos said: Is that a good thing?

Well surely it's not a bad thing, however I have found connections from the Netherlands > East Coast USA quite snappy.

• JacobJacob Member
    edited April 2013

Removed.

• No doubt @W1V_Lee. But folks have to look at what BuyVM has done for years now with Awknet and filtered IPs for a surcharge. Pooling the IPs, the service, etc. Kick a$$ model that has worked remarkably well.

DDoS protection services have to be out there, even in the UK at a semi-reasonable/doable rate.

I think there are too many 1-2 server "companies" making offers. Most of them are ill equipped to endure any hardship be it DDoS, gear failure, etc. Impossible to tell when buying who has what and who is for real and who is a seedling company.

I like small businesses and dreamers, but in this business environment, well, not really prudent.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited April 2013

@pubcrawler I think you are missing the real issue here and that is the price difference, it really is substantial when you break it down between the US and UK.

It's always been a barrier.

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited April 2013

@pubcrawler said: Latency from elsewhere in the Europe isn't much higher than UK. For customers in Europe it doesn't really matter where you are in Europe... Small enough area for low latency.

It can add around 20-90ms to the ping if you choose another location in Europe for those living in the US. So if you are running a game server and most of your players are from NA and Europe, then the UK makes sense since its in the middle.

• Plenty of competitive offers @W1V_Lee. Does the US always undercut on pricing? Typically, that's our style. But UK isn't some appealing place for US customers. Know some providers think it's a hedge.. (i.e. 70ms to NJ/NY from Maidenhead). Problem is to middle of US is??? 110ms+.

I maintain UK services (for now) for European customers. Per continent local services are the minimum any scaled company should have. Single homed companies need to put things where their end users are, down to the country level.

Plenty of huge European companies with crazy low pricing. Everything comes with a tradeoff though. Most US bargain dedicated sellers are just as quick or moreso to null IPs. DDoS protection? That's kicking you and your pain in the arse customers out.

What happened in the UK is bound to start happening in other places. We'll see the same failures, same nulls, same dancing around the issue.

Providers need contingency planning in place. That's my bone to pick with the situation. Folks didn't plan and now are SOL.

• @UGVPS did you allow irc?

• @24khost,

UGVPS TOS says:

"IRC
    We currently do allow IRC or IRC bots to be operated on our servers."

• Huge huge attraction for Ddos

• @Jacob did you allow irc?

• @Jack did you allow irc?

• LukeTLukeT Member
    edited April 2013

I doubt IRC can be put to blame, large attacks dont tend to happen via/come from IRC. And why would it just be UK hosts affected?

• @AnthonySmith You allow irc in your UK location correct? Do you see more DDOS in the UK with inception than in the US?

• CloudxtnyHostCloudxtnyHost Member, Host Rep

@eastonch you've cursed the node now :(

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited April 2013

@LukeT said: I doubt IRC can be put to blame, large attacks dont tend to happen via IRC. And why would it just be UK hosts affected?

Well its not really via IRC but more just someone in IRC possibly "trolling" and then getting themselves banned and then throwing a hissy fit and then deciding to "take down" the IRC server and therefore ending up in a DDoS.

This is why IRC Servers are sometimes/mostly disallowed. Its not because its illegal but for the cost you're paying most providers don't see it as a reasonable risk for the few extra dollars (especially since if its a VPS company other clients will be on the same server and then they'll also go down too).

As to most UK hosts I'm just assuming it's not worth of the additional risk especially since this is already happening. And one of the ways to reduce risk is to remove/prohibit all IRC servers.

• +1 for @HalfEatenPie. IRC has always been this sort of risk.

It's a curious issue the UK problem.

Has anyone looked at the two datacenters in question and checked to see if they currently offer VPS directly or are intending to?

Anything is possible though in this underhanded cess pool industry.

• @Jack Might not be a huge attraction but... I have seen that Ddos are more prevelant on hosts that allow irc more Ddos attacks,

@LukeT it is not via irc, but script kiddie gets pissed and ddos the network.

• @HalfEatenPie the reason I asked about the irc is that it seems the hosts who are having the issue are the ones that seem to allow IRC. Just seeing if this is the pattern.

• @BenND Do you guys allow irc? I am just wondering maybe this is the pattern. It looks to obvious to me but, sometimes it could be the obvious.

• @24khost said: the reason I asked about the irc is that it seems the hosts who are having the issue are the ones that seem to allow IRC. Just seeing if this is the pattern.

Oh yeah it wasn't at you really was just kinda explaining it to people who constantly complains "Why won't you let me host ___? Its legal!"

• @HalfEatenPie just by guess I was looking. Taking this to it's own thread.

• LukeTLukeT Member

Meh, I'd prefer hosts disallow IRC Servers yet allow IRC clients. IRCds are what get targeted for the most part.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@24khost said: @HalfEatenPie the reason I asked about the irc is that it seems the hosts who are having the issue are the ones that seem to allow IRC. Just seeing if this is the pattern.

That's not really enough data to go off. For starters, you'd have to check whether those that are not being attacked, are disallowing IRC - it could simply be that all cheap datacenters in the UK allow IRC, and you'd see the exact same result as you can see now.