Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Kimsufi Bons Plans with RAID 1 - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New Kimsufi Bons Plans with RAID 1

Comments

• pcanpcan Member

@blergh_
    Price is not a issue here. The disk must be less than 64 Gb due to operating system and Bios limitations, and the only new disks with less than 64 Gb capacity are SSD. The alternative is a 10 year old refurbished mechanical disk, and my guess is that this would be a worse option.

• @peppr said: This even applies to laptops..

Yup. My laptop is 3.5 years old. Still works healthy.

• @pcan
    Sounds like it could use an upgrade.

• 2GB of RAM is the deal killer. Just not enough compared to the pricing. Sure, probably cost upgrades.... Just prices it more in higher than worth area. Not bad, but....

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2013

I feel that the RAM is enough, but storage is a bit low. If you run RAID1 as they suggest, it's only 500GB. I'd order in a blink, if it was 2x1TB. And regarding the CPU, checked some benchmarks, it's only 10-20% faster than the E2180 from that previous special, so not a huge advantage either.
    But of course it wins hands-down over their standard lineup, so if you don't already have a Kimsufi, you'd be insane not to pick up this one. :)

• earlearl Member

@rm_ said: it's only 10-20% faster than the E2180 from that previous special

But this has intel VT so you can run windows if you choose to.. I think it's a good deal I would cancel my e2180 but unfortunately it's yearly and that's why I hate these yearly deals

edited April 2013

@earl said: But this has intel VT

Well then get it and have another one :)
    But yeah, when you consider running VMs, 2GB of RAM suddenly don't sound like a lot.

@earl said: I would cancel my e2180 but unfortunately it's yearly

if nothing else, the E2180 is still a TB of storage for 10 EUR/mo. Do you often get deals like that on storage VPSes or even "cloud storage" providers.

• Kimsufis still not available for people in scandinavia eh?

• earlearl Member
    edited April 2013

@rm_ said: Well then get it and have another one :)

yes was tempted in buying this but then who knows maybe next month they will have a 4 gb offer or even one that is monthly, so I think I will wait.. this offer with a couple of IP's will cost around $250 for the year since I already have too many servers I think I would rather buy a nexus 7 from google..

@rm_ said: if nothing else, the E2180 is still a TB of storage for 10 EUR/mo

for sure it's still a good deal but I would rather pay the extra 3 euro for the intel VT and a higher passmark so I can do RDP when I do feel like playing around with windows, but by the looks of it, the performance of the HD is far better on the E2180 deal than it is with the E6550 deal.

• vedranvedran Veteran

It's not. If you use RAID 0 you'll get 1TB storage which would be faster than 1TB single drive.

• tuxtux Member

@Makkesk8 said: Kimsufis still not available for people in scandinavia eh?

Are you sure? If you live in Finland, you can order Kimsufis from OVH.

edited April 2013

@vedran said: If you use RAID 0 you'll get 1TB storage which would be faster than 1TB single drive.

I don't know if I'd run RAID0 on those old HDDs, actually what I'd probably do is first ~50GB of each HDD as RAID1 (for OS/web/DB), and the rest as RAID0 (for storage and backups of other servers). Linux software RAID (mdadm) can do that easily, since it allows RAID from partitions.

• ranieranie Member
    edited April 2013

@Makkesk8 yes it is. I am from denmark and i have a couple of kimsufi's Use google to translate the french .com page. But you have to email a scan of passport/driving license and a utility bill. They will request that.

As soon as you get your customer ID mail the 2 scans to [email protected]. Just write "Verification of XXXXXXX-ovh" in the subject.

• ranieranie Member

@tux If you live in Finland you have to order from ovh-hosting.fi other scandinavian countries have to order from ovh.com

• @ranie Ok... I am not doing that.

• ranieranie Member

There has been a lot of discussion about OVH validation metode of customers from "untrusted countries". I don't really see the problem. Not as long as it is a company as OVH. I am pretty sure they will not abruce the information

• kalamkalam Member

When I sent them a scan of my drivers license and a bank statement I blacked out everything except my name and address, that's all the information they need.

• Raid 0 or 1 for speed and security, I think its R 0.

So soft Raid is better option then Hw in normal usage case/ backups...

• @ranie still.... you never know..

edited April 2013

http://www.kimsufi.com/fr/bons_plans/index.xml changed from "over 30" to just "27" in stock, looks like these are going out, and after they do, in a week or two there should be a new special.

• Now out of stock. I wonder what the new offer will be.

• Few hrs. ago it was 13 ;)

• @earl said: but by the looks of it, the performance of the HD is far better on the E2180 deal

actually my hdds are faster than @vedran
    if I remember correctly it's the same speed as with the E2180 deal

# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync

16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 10.0559 s, 107 MB/s

# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync

16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 9.59755 s, 112 MB/s

this is with raid1

edited May 2013

Six more appeared in stock at this moment http://www.kimsufi.com/fr/bons_plans/index.xml

• FreekFreek Member

@rm_ said: Six more appeared in stock at this moment http://www.kimsufi.com/fr/bons_plans/index.xml

Dammit, too late again. Thanks for keeping us updated though!

• jcalebjcaleb Member

why late? there are 6 more still right?

• FreekFreek Member

@jcaleb said: why late? there are 6 more still right?

It says Stock épuisé for me?

• @Freek said: It says Stock épuisé for me?

It shows

Disponible immédiatement** :

• @Freek said: It says Stock épuisé for me?

Same here

Disponible immédiatement** :

Stock épuisé

• FreekFreek Member

I get the feeling they filter IPs..