Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Kimsufi Bons Plans with RAID 1
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New Kimsufi Bons Plans with RAID 1

ranieranie Member
edited April 2013 in General

17$ 12 months minimum. First time i see a Bons Plans with 2 disks.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 2x 2,33 GHz (4 MB cache)
Arkitektur 64-bit
NIC FastEthernet
RAM 2 GB
Disk 2x500 GB RAID-1-software

Comments

• FreekFreek Member

Let's hold a little competition and see how long it takes before someone setups a springhost on that machine.
    I say give it 2-3 weeks.

Nevertheless neat machine!

• That's quite nice for 13/15,5€

• @Freek a springhost could do it without RAID1, why bother with RAID :)
    But maybe they can set it up as RAID0 to get better benchmarks ;-)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2013

@Freek these are limited to 3 additional IPv4 at 1EUR/IP (and can't buy more).

The offer is much better than the previous one, yeah. Also cheaper than the N2800 I'm paying 14.99 for... but Standard b/w on mine vs 5TB here...

• Any chance of a link?

Is this just a sign that they are using even more knackered disks, or do they realize people actually want RAID 1?

• ztecztec Member

I hate this 12 month minimum though...

• @ranie thanks. shame as @ztec says about having to pay up-front for a year. I'm assuming no refunds if they kick you out ...

• I'm starting to wonder if they plan to get rid of old boxes per month and the specs keeps going up until maybe last year's line? Might be a good idea to hold out ...

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2013

@tortau said: and the specs keeps going up until maybe last year's line

The price will change accordingly, even if they will do the last year's line, it won't be for 13 EUR/mo.

• feels like they are just throwing excessive stock that is not moving on a 12 year contract. i7(last offer) > e6550 is not really an upgrade, they probably have the box running anyways so whatever that can be converted to $ they go.

• @rm_: As long as it falls below 20 euro, I think it's still a good deal in my opinion!

• vedranvedran Veteran

My disks are ancient:

# smartctl -a /dev/sda | grep Power_On
      9 Power_On_Hours          0x0012   095   095   000    Old_age   Always       -       39172
    # smartctl -a /dev/sdb | grep Power_On
      9 Power_On_Hours          0x0012   095   095   000    Old_age   Always       -       39357
  • Wow. That's almost 5 years old ... hmm.

• CoreyCorey Member

@tortau said: Wow. That's almost 5 years old ... hmm.

No that's 5 years of power on... even worse.

• Given the fact that a server is running 24/7 this is probably the same.

• CoreyCorey Member

@Shigawire said: Given the fact that a server is running 24/7 this is probably the same.

Downtime, customer shutting it down for a period of time for whatever reason...them not actually having a customer for the server and it being shutdown.... lots of things can result in the harddisk not running for a period of time.

• @Corey said: Downtime, customer shutting it down for a period of time for whatever reason...them not actually having a customer for the server and it being shutdown.... lots of things can result in the harddisk not running for a period of time.

Ayways. 5 years are awful. Better go with RAID 1.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@Shigawire said: Ayways. 5 years are awful. Better go with RAID 1.

I am not sure.
    There is a certain degree of wear and tear, however, disks that run for so long, if they did, are unlikely to fail too soon.
    I still have hard drives that went on 5 years or more and are still functional (tho retired).

• BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
    edited April 2013

@vedran said: My disks are ancient:

I guess mine is erm... new? xD (Kimsufi mKS 2G)

~# smartctl -a /dev/sda | grep Power_On
      9 Power_On_Hours          0x0012   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       301
  • @Maounique yeah, usually if a disk doesn't fail in the first month of use, it will live long.

• @vedran said: My disks are ancient:

This is from the current offer with the E6550?
    Could you run a dd test?

• pcanpcan Member

@Maonique said: disks that run for so long, if they did, are unlikely to fail too soon.

According to the famous Google whitepaper, drives older than 3 year seems to have a reduced failure rate: http://static.googleusercontent.com/external_content/untrusted_dlcp/research.google.com/it//archive/disk_failures.pdf

I still have hard drives that went on 5 years or more and are still functional (tho retired).

Some drives have amazing life spans. I recently discovered a non-raid 2.5'' IBM IDE disk used as boot disk in a 24/7 critical server that was turned on in october 2001. I requested the replacement with a SSD. Amazingly, the company that does the maintenance on the system is reluctant because "SSD is not a proven technology" and they rather want to exchange it with another refurbished 2001-era disk. According to them, SSD is worse than a >100K hours mechanical disk drive; they have even older IBM disks still on service on other customers. They are a well-known worldwide company, but they are mad.

• JacobJacob Member
    edited April 2013

Oldest drives we have are 2 years old, and practicly are like new performance wise.

@Maounique said: I still have hard drives that went on 5 years or more and are still functional

• vedranvedran Veteran

@camarg said: This is from the current offer with the E6550?

Could you run a dd test?

Yes, E6550. I've always got new drives with their regular offers. Anyway, dd test:

# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 12.3351 s, 87.0 MB/s
  • earlearl Member

The good thing about this offer is the e6550 has intel VT

• just got one to replace my n2800 mKS 2G
    the cpu and raid worth the extra €3.5 for sure
    disks quite aged as @vedran

# smartctl -a /dev/sda | grep Power_On

9 Power_On_Hours 0x0012 096 096 000 Old_age Always - 33985
    # smartctl -a /dev/sdb | grep Power_On
    9 Power_On_Hours 0x0012 096 096 000 Old_age Always - 33985

• Nice hdds
    I used to put these hdds to soho servers, just immortal

Model Family: Hitachi Deskstar E7K1000

Device Model: Hitachi HDE721050SLA330

• @pcan
    That is because what they are telling you is true. SSD's are not a proven technology, and the enterprise drives that have been coming out recently are too expensive to justify getting them.

• @pcan said: drives older than 3 year seems to have a reduced failure rate:

This even applies to laptops..