Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenVPN is also banned in Turkey. - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenVPN is also banned in Turkey.

Comments

• @dotted said:

@xaoc said:
    @dotted don`t be an a** please. Not everyone is the same in country A or country B.
    Anyways, this is an interesting read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Article_301_(Turkish_Penal_Code)/ :P.

"Banned for bringing racism to threads without justification. Spreading racism by making unsupported claims of racism to derail a topic."

Congrats, you've achieved the advanced copy/paste level. Keep it up!

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited November 2016

Time to calm down. Seriously, keep it civil, please.

Thanked by 2netomx bugrakoc
  • stefemanstefeman Member
    edited November 2016

@Amitz said:
    Time to calm down. Seriously, keep it civil, please.

Turkey is a third world shithole. Anyone who disagreed with the Sultan Erdogan is already dead by now. The fact they adviced him to move out of Turkey as soon as possible should be appreciated as how it looks right now, the country is about to turn into another Syria with 4x more population.

Thanked by 2bugrakoc boernd
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I know many are passionate about this but this is a great time to pivot from the politics of it to how we can help our brothers and sisters in Turkey to continue to experience freedom on the internet.

From what I'm seeing it seems to be mostly ports, so VPNs are still usable. As for playing my part, I've asked my team to be generous when meeting customers from Turkey who are in need of a VPN. Let's join together and remind the world that they will never stand in the way of free speech.

• You know things are looking bad when the government no longer cares about the productivity of it's businesses over censoring, banning widely used services such as GitHub is such a joke.

The people of Turkey seriously needs to reconsider electing a new government.

Thanked by 1bugrakoc
  • Shadowsocks is considered not safe any more in China. Use ShadowsocksR if possible.

• @msg7086 said:
    Shadowsocks is considered not safe any more in China.

Any reason behind this?

• @dcamero said:

• OpenVPN TCP 443
    • OpenVPN + Stunnel
    • GetLantern
    • Psiphon
    • Shadowsocks
    • ShadowsocksR (breakwa11 manyuser branch) including obuscation
    • TOR + obfs4
    • TOR + meek
    • V2Ray

is shadowsocksR so different from Shadowsocks-libev

We should make a list for nat and dedicated ip servers

• @lion said:

Any reason behind this?

AFAIK it can be detected by "deep packet inspection", and, could be blocked or interfered if the GFW found it necessary.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@msg7086 said:
    Shadowsocks is considered not safe any more in China. Use ShadowsocksR if possible.

Since when?

• @netomx said:

Since when?

To clarify, I meant to say it's no longer safe to prevent being detected (and then blocked).

Since there's a patent pending or issued about how to detect SS connection using DPI, which I remembered I saw somewhere. Sorry I can't show you the proof since I didn't save that news, but it should not be hard to read some posts about how people are getting trouble with their SS connection blocked before moving to SSR.

• Bullshit.

Thanked by 1jenkki
  • I believe that OpenVPN is banned by blocking port, so why not to redirect port on your server config?

• @msg7086 said:

@netomx said:

Since when?

To clarify, I meant to say it's no longer safe to prevent being detected (and then blocked).

Since there's a patent pending or issued about how to detect SS connection using DPI, which I remembered I saw somewhere. Sorry I can't show you the proof since I didn't save that news, but it should not be hard to read some posts about how people are getting trouble with their SS connection blocked before moving to SSR.

Here is the discussion you mentioned:
    https://github.com/breakwa11/shadowsocks-rss/issues/38

DPI itself cannot do the job - the attacker must use replay-attack on IV.
    Recent popular Shadowsocks branches adds detection and banning mechanism which mitigates such attack.

According to clowwindy, Shadowsocks is by designed only for CPA-security, not CCA-security. (ShadowVPN would do the job, but the dev discontinued.) He also mentioned that what shadowsocksR did is also CPA-security only.

Popular derived branches are testing OTA, but I'm not sure about the status. Faulty configuration of OTA may get banned even easier.

• jarland said: I know many are passionate about this but this is a great time to pivot from the politics of it to how we can help our brothers and sisters in Turkey to continue to experience freedom on the internet.

As a side note - If anyone does this and the Turkish gov gets this information: You will be arrested on entry and your gov will NOT easily get you out again.

Turkey arrested German journalists today, some arabs while just transiting in Atatürk last week, a judge of the UN International Criminal Court (!!!) with diplomatic immunity, some other diplomats (Syrians apparently)....

Thanked by 1muratai
  • lustixlustix Member
    edited November 2016

@William said:

jarland said: I know many are passionate about this but this is a great time to pivot from the politics of it to how we can help our brothers and sisters in Turkey to continue to experience freedom on the internet.

As a side note - If anyone does this and the Turkish gov gets this information: You will be arrested on entry and your gov will NOT easily get you out again.

Turkey arrested German journalists today, some arabs while just transiting in Atatürk last week, a judge of the UN International Criminal Court (!!!) with diplomatic immunity, some other diplomats (Syrians apparently)....

being a non-turkish citizen doesn't mean you are allowed to make your own rules in Turkey.

btw: Erdogan if you are reading this, suck my salty balls

Thanked by 3bugrakoc paily muratai
  • WilliamWilliam Member
    edited November 2016

lustix said: being a non-turkish citizen doesn't mean you are allowed to make your own rules in Turkey.

I don't get it? If you enter Turkey and have no guaranteed free passage or diplomatic immunity it means you get arrested, the US is no different, in this case you just end up in a very bad situation (let's say somewhere between a Libyan jail and Mossul).

The point is they start arresting diplomats as well as protected people now - Playing on the rules is very different and that is THE path to isolation (you remember the Iranians storming the US embassy? Not end well. The Iranians storming the Saudi embassy? Now Yemen is bombed to shit...)

• William said: that is THE path to isolation

That's correct. What an unfortunate position to be in.

• William said: As a side note - If anyone does this and the Turkish gov gets this information: You will be arrested on entry and your gov will NOT easily get you out again.

Jaja... That's why they send Marines to get them out.
    We send politicians. No wonder that we fail.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @William said:

lustix said: being a non-turkish citizen doesn't mean you are allowed to make your own rules in Turkey.

I don't get it? If you enter Turkey and have no guaranteed free passage or diplomatic immunity it means you get arrested, the US is no different, in this case you just end up in a very bad situation (let's say somewhere between a Libyan jail and Mossul).

The point is they start arresting diplomats as well as protected people now - Playing on the rules is very different and that is THE path to isolation (you remember the Iranians storming the US embassy? Not end well. The Iranians storming the Saudi embassy? Now Yemen is bombed to shit...)

Well, I was referring to the journalists and arabs you mentioned. I read now about Akay, yea shit happens, I hope that western govs won't bring/bomb democracy.

• Amitz said: Jaja... That's why they send Marines to get them out.

We send politicians. No wonder that we fail.

JAJA means also egg in Serbo-Croatian

Germany sends Bundestagsabgeordnete... Turkey does not let them in :')

That US operation in Iran back then failed gloriously though (one blackhawk died and was later blown up iirc)

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited November 2016

Gib's zu, Du hast wieder einen Erklärbär gefrühstückt... ;-)

• Seems as if only normal turkish ISPs are affected by any bans.
    We've got a server here and there aren't any restrictions at all: http://trvps.net/dedicated.html
    OpenVPN and all other protocolls work well.
    Sites like Facebook, Twitter and YouTube can also be accessed without any restrictions.
    Server location: Istanbul / Routing via Türk Telekom.
    If you are looking for a server within Turkey I can recommend them.

• Amitz said: Gib's zu, Du hast wieder einen Erklärbär gefrühstückt... ;-)

haha, nah, but they annoy me here sometimes because i use "yea yea" often in english, which is confusing ;)

Anthony2016 said: Seems as if only normal turkish ISPs are affected by any bans

No, this is TT wide, however some blocks - as in Iran or China - are exempted entirely (Gov, Military) and some not enforced (Datacenters, as in Russia and EU).

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited November 2016

William said: haha, nah, but they annoy me here sometimes because i use "yea yea" often in english, which is confusing ;)

My Ex-Wife is Croatian. Don't ask me how often I found her confusing... ;-)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Anthony2016 said: Seems as if only normal turkish ISPs are affected by any bans.

It seems they have lifted the bans. For now.

• rincewind said: Even if OpenVPN's port is getting blocked, it uses sslh to run OpenVPN and OpenSSH on port 443.

As side note, yes this seems to work - OpenVPN on 443 also.

SSH runs fine on 22 and seems not limited speed wise.

Someone noted it before - this is not technologically advanced as unlike in Iran the system is not as centralized, the gov does not have 100% undoubtable non-political (so: physical) control (Iran hardly had half a civil war or a coup 2016.... it is surprisingly stable politically) and the cost of DPI and SSH blocks/slow down have a very real effect on foreign companies (which, generally, are the few companies bringing in USD or EUR in this region outside the gov).

Thanked by 1vimalware