Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenVPN is also banned in Turkey. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenVPN is also banned in Turkey.

Comments

• bugrakocbugrakoc Member
    edited November 2016

jarland said: Are they blocking a common port or using DPI?

As I can still use my good old LES with non-standard ports unaffected, my guess is they are blocking the default OpenVPN port. Fucking amateurs.

cassa said: What the fuck is wrong with these countries

We have Islam instead of secularity.

elwebmaster said: Vote for a neo-ottoman fanatic again next time.

He once even publicly stated that he admires Adolf Hitler, yet the idiots here are still voting for him. A big NOPE.

I wish I could leave this shithole.

Thanked by 1muratai
  • Out of curiosity, are other forms of encryption banned by the laws there?

• @TommyC said:
    Out of curiosity, are other forms of encryption banned by the laws there?

No forms of encryption are banned by the law here, at least not to my knowledge. The situation here is a bit difficult to understand if you never experienced third-world shittiness. There is no law here. I mean of course there is, but it's virtually nonexistent for the big guys. The judges are trying to button their nonexistent robe buttons when the Prime Minister enters the court. It's just disgraceful. If they want to block the internet, they "Just Do It™". They are denying people to communicate with masses to avoid rioting. When things settle down, they revert the censorship. I just hope things won't settle down this time.

Thanked by 1muratai
  • Well at least you guys don't ban a certain branch of mathematics. Some first world countries can't say the same.

• @jarland Many ports are blocked. We are looking for a solution that is helpless.

@bugrakoc I sent a private message.

@exception0x876 Could you give me a more detailed explanation?

Distinguished members,

Thank you all individually. We thank you also for the passing of the wave. But it would be better if you helped instead of making fun of it. I still can not find a solution to this situation. Is there anyone who can help you in detail? With your help, thousands, perhaps tens of thousands, of people will overtake censorship...

• I'm connected regular OpenVPN, standard port...

• @kendid said:
    I'm connected regular OpenVPN, standard port...

What ISP are you using?

• ttnet....

Thanked by 1xaoc
  • stefemanstefeman Member
    edited November 2016

Setup TCP 443 OpenVPN on a VPS outside the country. As long as the IP-range is not blocked, I guarantee it will bypass almost anything unless they want to start blocking HTTPS protocol.

• Tangentially related, nice to see Tor usage going up in Turkey this month. See stats here: https://metrics.torproject.org/userstats-relay-country.html?start=2016-08-08&end=2016-11-06&country=tr&events=off

• @stefeman How can I do that? Can you help me?

• My openvpn still works but it stops receiving data after 2 minutes in turkey. Ios do not support obscureproxy openvpn so i am open to suggestions? Perhaps openvpn on https 443 ?

• @uncensored_internet said:
    @stefeman How can I do that? Can you help me?

If you can't manage to change the port on Open VPN you shouldn't be running it, maybe you should hire someone..

Thanked by 1bugrakoc
  • bugrakocbugrakoc Member
    edited November 2016

uncensored_internet said: But it would be better if you helped instead of making fun of it. I still can not find a solution to this situation.

The solution I provided is perfectly valid. You should try it. If you are having difficulties understanding it, you can have a more technologically competent friend interpret it for you. I have also responded to your PM, and can give you hints and tips in Turkish via PM if your English is not good enough. However, you need to be willing to read and learn.

@muratai said:
    My openvpn still works but it stops receiving data after 2 minutes in turkey. Ios do not support obscureproxy openvpn so i am open to suggestions? Perhaps openvpn on https 443 ?

Please refer to my post above. It works very well, and will nicely work in the foreseeable future. For just ~€3 / year.

@TommyC said:
    Well at least you guys don't ban a certain branch of mathematics. Some first world countries can't say the same.

Yeah, that's kinda sad.

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited November 2016

@uncensored_internet said:
    @stefeman How can I do that? Can you help me?

As bugrakoc has said, any non-default port should work as the idiots in your goverment are too incompetent to filter the protocol. (Or the ISPs are intentionally playing it easy)

If you want to play it ultra safe, use TCP with port 443 to have it look as if the VPN traffic would be normal HTTPS traffic.

There are a million guides about changing protocol and port of openvpn. All you need is some cheap linux VPS with public ipv4 adress.

Thanked by 1elflord
  • Shadowsocks would be the best choice to bypass the firewall.

• @Greyhound Is there an automatic installer for Shadowsocks?

@ATHK, @bugrakoc We use Nyr-installer. When we set port 443, the connection does not work.

• uncensored_internet said: We use Nyr-installer. When we set port 443, the connection does not work.

Which server are you using? Port 443 will not work on LowEndSpirit, as it is a NAT IPv4 service, and we don't have IPv6 in Turkey. However, any non-standard port should work. You dont have to use port 443.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @uncensored_internet said:
    @Greyhound Is there an automatic installer for Shadowsocks?

Ya, I believe some Chinese have some scripts to install the Shadowsocks server automatically.

• @bugrakoc We use Aruba Cloud. The OpenVPN connection does not work. (Nyr-installer, Angristan/OpenVPN-install, VPNSox-installer) Do not connect with none.

• mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2016

Unfortunately the govt. in Turkey has succeeded in blocking the common people's access to internet as most VPN providers have apps and are easy to use. OpenVPN w/ non standard ports and installing on a VPS would restrict access to the more technically oriented which is what they wanted in the first place I assume.

EDIT: I was working on a GUI for Nyr's script but didn't finish it with everything going on at Mailcheap; will get back on it!

Pavin.

Thanked by 2bugrakoc vimalware
  • uncensored_internet said: When we set port 443, the connection does not work.

It's pretty simple. In client.conf you put "remote xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 443". And in server.conf you put "port 443". Just look for those lines and change them.

Thanked by 1postcd
  • https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-set-up-an-openvpn-server-on-ubuntu-16-04

This should be easy to follow if u start from scratch. It guides on tcp 443

Thanked by 1postcd
  • That country is going downhill. Leave it if you can

Thanked by 1muratai
  • @Ole_Juul Do we need to open port 443? (sudo ufw allow 443/tcp, sudo ufw allow 443/udp)

• @DreamCaster Dude, we're talking about a serious situation here.

• @DreamCaster said:
    That country is going downhill. Leave it if you can

I wish it was that easy for the ordinary people.

@uncensored_internet said:
    @DreamCaster Dude, we're talking about a serious situation here.

I think he's pretty serious too. No need to get offended. He's giving some valid advice.

• DreamCaster said: That country is going downhill. Leave it if you can

Do you think it is easy to leave your country? Who will pay the expenses? Where will he go? Witch country will let him move to legally? Where will he find a job for living? What about his family? It's easy to give such advises from the comfort of your couch, but it is really more of something like delve into OP's open wound...

• @DreamCaster said:
    That country is going downhill. Leave it if you can

You know Turkey has around 80 mil. Ppl, right? Are you willing to host them in your house/town/country? If not plese tell us where should they go?

• uncensored_internet said: @Ole_Juul Do we need to open port 443? (sudo ufw allow 443/tcp, sudo ufw allow 443/udp)

It's the port for browsing with https. It's always available everywhere. Nobody would block it. That's why it's being suggested.

Thanked by 1postcd