Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESET vs Kaspersky or what Antivirus Software do you use? - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ESET vs Kaspersky or what Antivirus Software do you use?

Comments

• @Ympker said:
    Yeah I won't renew it too. Switched to Bitdefender Free^^

why are you not planning to renew it? (if i may ask).

websites like g2a etc have some dirt cheap prices for it.

• @Ympker said:

@JerryHou said:

@Ympker said:

@JerryHou said:
    I use no anti-virus software on win 10, which would make the system laggy..

ESET did not make the system laggy though :P

I stopped using ESET for a long long while because my license was expired and I didn't want to renew it, so I went with Avast...

Yeah I won't renew it too. Switched to Bitdefender Free^^

Always hear that Bitdefende is the best AV software, but didn't use it yet...

Now I stop using Avast as well, as last time they have a weird issue: the software UI was gone and the only solution suggested by them via Twitter is to reinstall the software... So I did uninstall it, but did not reinstall. :)

• saf31saf31 Member

Bitdefender and Kaspersky always do great on tests. There are probably hundreds of other products using Bitdefender detection engine. Out of all testing organizations I like AV comparatives the most. They are very much transparent and not influenced by giants like Symantec.

Here is the link for real-world protection test: https://www.av-comparatives.org/comparison/

Here is a link for 6 months trial of Bitdefender total security: https://www.bitdefender.com/media/html/consumer/new/get-total-security2018-opt/

Mcafee 6 months trial: https://promos.mcafee.com/en-US/Affiliates/773/Lp/276multi.aspx

Among the free products, avast is the most balanced one. With less bloat and no pop-up.

• Windows Defender on Windows 10

• SreeSree Member

I'm using Kaspersky free..

• @MGarbis said:

Still no negative comments about it. So I keep it on my list to test. :)

Well, looks like Ahnlab's av isn't available for free like others. So I can't test it.
    I don't even know how to get paid version.

Maybe that's why nobody commented about it. :)

• sinsin Member

So I just bought a 2 year license for ESET Internet Security for cheap on eBay and I'm actually really loving it. It's lightweight, hasn't annoyed me, tons of features/settings, and it's just all around great.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @sin said:
    So I just bought a 2 year license for ESET Internet Security for cheap on eBay and I'm actually really loving it. It's lightweight, hasn't annoyed me, tons of features/settings, and it's just all around great.

Overall Eset has been great :)

Thanked by 1sin
  • UmutUmut Member

I've been using ESET Smart Security / ESET Internet Security for eight years. I'd also used AVG and Avira in the past but didn't like them.

Thanked by 1sin
  • manlivomanlivo Member
    edited August 2018

You can get 6 Months Bitdefender Internet Security 2019 for FREE: https://vncoupon.com/bitdefender-internet-security-2019-get-6-months-free-limited-time-offer/

Thanked by 1MGarbis
  • sinsin Member

@Ympker said:

@sin said:

Overall Eset has been great :)

Yeah I'm really impressed with ESET Internet Security so far.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @rm_ said:
    Both are crap. MS Security Essentials is free, light, non-obtrusive and then just don't click on stupid shit in the mail and you'll be safe.

This is the advice I always give people as well. Think before you click and most of the time you'll be just fine.

Other stuff just eats resources.

• @sin said:

care to link where you bought it from? and how much?

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@raindog308 said:

WebProject said: Kaspersky Secure Connection - worldwide VPN services.

Who in their right mind would use a VPN that is run by the Russian government...

The same I can say about US investment (so called government donations) to such organisation like Facebook, Google and Apple, as all platforms do exactly the same as KGB, spying on users. The same about China, as some of their android phones are do send logs back to China motherland.

• They try to install much more to slow down the system with their useless content that doesnt secure anything more , but just some cleaner for random MB i get as portable tools like CCleaner.

• Manlivo's link was too attractive so I decided to try Bitdefender. I haven't ever used Bitdefender and that's the second reason I wanted to try it.
    At first sight, it's looking good and easy to use.
    Can't say anything else yet.

• lionlion Member

Scary to see so many people still support snake oil

• I am using Avira Antivirus Pro.. Pretty happy with the performance.

• @JerryHou said:

@Ympker said:

@JerryHou said:

I stopped using ESET for a long long while because my license was expired and I didn't want to renew it, so I went with Avast...

Avast sometimes misses some Viruses or Malware.. and the free version slows down your browsing. My experience with the free version has not been good TBH.

• @AiONets said:

@JerryHou said:

@Ympker said:

@JerryHou said:

Avast sometimes misses some Viruses or Malware.. and the free version slows down your browsing. My experience with the free version has not been good TBH.

Now I'm using Win10 without any dedicated av software...

Thanked by 1AiONets
  • I use Windows in a VM on Linux. What virus or malware? I just dump the image if infected and spin up another one.

• Based on AV-TEST or AV Comparatives native protection of Windows is not actually bad but still its recommended to have an additional antivirus for 0-day malware.

I personally like Avira as they have great performances however, their marketing is awful an and I usually remove many of the installed software and just keep the essentials.

Huge difference between the free and paid are two things: Anti-Ransomware and Email scans (if you are using mail clients).

• @poisson said:
    I use Windows in a VM on Linux. What virus or malware? I just dump the image if infected and spin up another one.

I am using Linux on my Daily driver too. I use Elementary OS (ubuntu dirstro) however, you can not expect everyone to be advanced. Many tasks are not possible by VMs, for example using Photoshop.

I managed to installed Photoshop CC14 on my linux but the thing is its a little buggy and if you have a dedicated graphic card which is a must for serious projects, Wine or VMs can not use the graphics without tones of configurations and modifications. Hence, you would have two options: macOS (which is really good) or Windows.

macOS is amazing BUT, IMO it does not worth it. Specially when you have a small business that you can not purchase Apple for all employees. So Windows would be the only option.

• @AiONets said:

@poisson said:
    I use Windows in a VM on Linux. What virus or malware? I just dump the image if infected and spin up another one.

I am using Linux on my Daily driver too. I use Elementary OS (ubuntu dirstro) however, you can not expect everyone to be advanced. Many tasks are not possible by VMs, for example using Photoshop.

I managed to installed Photoshop CC14 on my linux but the thing is its a little buggy and if you have a dedicated graphic card which is a must for serious projects, Wine or VMs can not use the graphics without tones of configurations and modifications. Hence, you would have two options: macOS (which is really good) or Windows.

macOS is amazing BUT, IMO it does not worth it. Specially when you have a small business that you can not purchase Apple for all employees. So Windows would be the only option.

The easy option is to install Photoshop in a Windows VM, not using wine. Photoshop depends more on CPU and RAM. I have no problems using Photoshop CC2018 on a VMWare Workstation Player VM where I can easily allocate 16GB RAM and four cores to it and I don't have problems. And VMWare/Virtualbox is not difficult to set up.

For most people, they won't touch the Adobe CC stuff so what is so difficult about using Linux and putting Windows in a VM? Also, it is actually not that difficult to do a GPU passthrough to a Windows VM on Linux, just that I am not bothered to do that because I see no need for it.

Thanked by 1AiONets
  • Tha> @poisson said:

@AiONets said:

@poisson said:

The easy option is to install Photoshop in a Windows VM, not using wine. Photoshop depends more on CPU and RAM. I have no problems using Photoshop CC2018 on a VMWare Workstation Player VM where I can easily allocate 16GB RAM and four cores to it and I don't have problems. And VMWare/Virtualbox is not difficult to set up.

For most people, they won't touch the Adobe CC stuff so what is so difficult about using Linux and putting Windows in a VM? Also, it is actually not that difficult to do a GPU passthrough to a Windows VM on Linux, just that I am not bothered to do that because I see no need for it.

I have not tried VM, I am sure its not difficult ... I should give it a try... but still installing windows/another machine is not as reliable as having one OS and everything native. The experience is completely different.

• It depends on the host machine. I just went to my local version of ebay and bought secondhand parts: an overclocked Skylake i5, 32GB RAM, GTX1070 and Samsung Evo 850. My Windows VM in full screen mode is smoother than silk with this host.

• AiONetsAiONets Member
    edited October 2019

@poisson said:
    It depends on the host machine. I just went to my local version of ebay and bought secondhand parts: an overclocked Skylake i5, 32GB RAM, GTX1070 and Samsung Evo 850. My Windows VM in full screen mode is smoother than silk with this host.

Do you have any experience with Intel NUC? I am considering to get one and use it as my daily driver.

Of course Linux and possibly VM

• @AiONets said:
    Do you have any experience with Intel NUC? I am considering to get one and use it as my daily driver.

Nope. The NUCs probably work just as well as a regular PC, just that you need to give it enough RAM and a SSD, although you can't overclock the shit out of the CPU like I did.

Thanked by 1AiONets
  • @poisson said:

@AiONets said:

Nope. The NUCs probably work just as well as a regular PC, just that you need to give it enough RAM and a SSD, although you can't overclock the shit out of the CPU like I did.

May I ask what Linux Dristro. are you using ?

• Like some others have mentioned, we use Avast and it has been quite good. But recently Avast throws up some annoying popups but it is as simple as crossing it off when it does come up.

Thanked by 1AiONets