Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESET vs Kaspersky or what Antivirus Software do you use? - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ESET vs Kaspersky or what Antivirus Software do you use?

Comments

• I have used ESET nod32 ten years.

• southysouthy Member

@jsg said:

@southy said:

Pretty much all attacks in Scada environments go against the process management plane (Windows) and/or against certain well known Controller models (like S7).

Yes.
    But what has that to do with the topic at hand?
    Bottom line: there are Windows PCs in process management plane and every once in a while there is reason to check them.

Yes, AV are crap.
    But for spot-checks to diagnose a misbehaving target system or even to rapidly clean an infected machine to get it up and running way faster than with a full recovery, AV are a good tool, if used by people that understand what they are doing.
    Which is why I want multiple at once.

Interesting.
    So you say in Kaspersky's Linux version they use a differend engine than in their Windows engine? (Serious question!)

I somehow just assumed they have the same engine as in their windows products...
    But on the other hand you are right in so far as that apart from Kaspersky, quite a few of the "very big names" do actually lack a linux client in general.
    Hmm... perhaps really a PXE boot...

For one keep in mind that the very core mechanisms of AV engines are strongly Windows specific. Just like the viruses, trojans, etc themselves. If you took a virus and just replaced the exe format and the startup part so as to work on linux it would still run into a wall and do nothing in terms of its job but simply crash the system.

Plus not just the syscalls and many bits and pieces are different but even code that has no OS specific parts whatsoever has lots of differences e.g. in naming, in headers, and many other things. In summary the programmers targeting Windows usually have a mindset, paradigms, and habits that are quite different from those targeting a Unix system.

So a "linux version" of a Windows AV engine is NOT a "linux version" but rather a largely different program that just happens to interface to some company specific interfaces and some mechanisms that have originally been developed for Windows.

And BTW I would consider all experiences or test results with a Windows AV engine/product as pretty much meaningless for the linux version (which usually is probably worse but might also be even better).

Sorry, but what you write is pretty much beside the point.
    I am not looking for a linux scanner to scan a linux system.

Those "emergency sticks" are typically built to scan Windows targets, NOT Linux targets - totally irrespective of what they boot up into themselves.

I don't really understand why the "core" or "engine" of an AV scanner would operate differntly running on Win Linux (in both cases scanning a Windows target):
    There is no difference in filesystem structure (it's the same windows target in both cases).

You would just need a wrapper adapted to your OS that opens the target files for you and passes the content to the "engine". That doesn't sound too complex.

The actual engine will then do pattern matching heuristics,... None of this is OS-dependent.
    The only thing slightly requiring work might be sandboxing (most likely with a built-in hypervisor, I assume, which would be OS-dependent).

So I am either missing sonething big here, or I disagree.

• mkshmksh Member

@southy said:
    Yes, AV are crap.
    But for spot-checks to diagnose a misbehaving target system or even to rapidly clean an infected machine to get it up and running way faster than with a full recovery, AV are a good tool, if used by people that understand what they are doing.

If they are crap how can they be trusted with disinfecting the system? You never know what kind of other shit the malware pulled in that might go undetected no matter how many scanners you throw at it.

Those "emergency sticks" are typically built to scan Windows targets, NOT Linux targets - totally irrespective of what they boot up into themselves.

Well, i guess you could run the windows versions through wine?

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@southy said:

@jsg said:

@southy said:

Pretty much all attacks in Scada environments go against the process management plane (Windows) and/or against certain well known Controller models (like S7).

Yes.
    But what has that to do with the topic at hand?

That's in relation to you asking me why I found the Windows and Scada plus security hilarious.

Yes, AV are crap.

Running multiple crappy programs does not enhance the situation. Yes, multiple engines probably discover more bad stuff - but they also discover more false positives and they introduce a larger attack surface.

That said, I don't care. If people think running multiple engines makes them more secure I wish them good luck.

So I am either missing sonething big here, or I disagree.

It's the former I guess. But I'm not here to preach or to ridicule or fight you. I just wanted to contribute some thoughts and experience. You think you know better, no problem; have a good journey.

• None I like going Commando or Bareback. Makes life much much more interesting.

• ESET is best so far.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

Switched to Bitdefender Free now (eset expires soon anyway) and performance got better^^ Gonna trust in Bitdefender Free and Malwarebytes Pro for now :P

• RazzaRazza Member
    edited July 2018

Ympker said: witched to Bitdefender Free now (eset expires soon anyway) and performance got better

Last time i tested a Bitdefender products it was quite a bit more heavy then Eset, might of changed since last time i tested.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@Razza said:

Ympker said: witched to Bitdefender Free now (eset expires soon anyway) and performance got better

Last time i tested a Bitdefender products it was quite a bit more heavy then Eset, might of changed since last time i tested.

Oddly enough a while back when I upgraded bitdefender to total security it was way more heavy weight but the Free version has been smooth always :P

• I prefer ESET NOD32 among these 3. It's light and strong enough. I have used it for many years.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited July 2018

@lantudai said:
    I prefer ESET NOD32 among these 3. It's light and strong enough. I have used it for many years.

I had a Eset multisecurity 1year deal so I could choose between Nod32 and Infernet Security. Nod32 has been great too but for whatever reason I preferred installing Internet Security :P

Anyway didn't wanna pay for antivirus anymore so gonna stick with Bitdefender free (which has apparently same virus database like paid version of bitdef.). Maybe gonna try avast free in comparison. But that's it. Afterall I also got Malwarbytes Premium^^

• Anyone tryed Ahnlab's free av?
    My Avira free is getting annoing with pop ups and 'click here to solve this' after click 'oh no, buy it first' -things. So it's time to try something else.
    Ahnlab got good points in the AVtest and I have never tryed it. That's why I'm planning to use it.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@MGarbis said:
    Anyone tryed Ahnlab's free av?
    My Avira free is getting annoing with pop ups and 'click here to solve this' after click 'oh no, buy it first' -things. So it's time to try something else.
    Ahnlab got good points in the AVtest and I have never tryed it. That's why I'm planning to use it.

I've also heard good things about it. Try it I guess. And yeah Avira Free got annoying for me too. Bitdefender Free is really light weight and shuts up so try that one perhaps? And also Avast Free having recently merged with AVG should have some nice detection rates now^^

• GodsGods Member

Common Sense 2018

• MGarbisMGarbis Member
    edited July 2018

@Ympker said:

@MGarbis said:
    Anyone tryed Ahnlab's free av?

I've also heard good things about it. Try it I guess. And yeah Avira Free got annoying for me too. Bitdefender Free is really light weight and shuts up so try that one perhaps? And also Avast Free having recently merged with AVG should have some nice detection rates now^^

Still no negative comments about it. So I keep it on my list to test. :)

@Gods said:
    Common Sense 2018

When there are other users on the same pc, common sense is probably not enough...

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Uninstalled Bitdefender and Renewed with Web Root!

• I don't like the user interface of Avast, and its DNS security strategy sucks in some conditions.
    Try Linux desktop version, like mint. No more concerns about antivirus.

@Ympker said:

@lantudai said:
    I prefer ESET NOD32 among these 3. It's light and strong enough. I have used it for many years.

I had a Eset multisecurity 1year deal so I could choose between Nod32 and Infernet Security. Nod32 has been great too but for whatever reason I preferred installing Internet Security :P

Anyway didn't wanna pay for antivirus anymore so gonna stick with Bitdefender free (which has apparently same virus database like paid version of bitdef.). Maybe gonna try avast free in comparison. But that's it. Afterall I also got Malwarbytes Premium^^

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@lantudai said:
    I don't like the user interface of Avast, and its DNS security strategy sucks in some conditions.
    Try Linux desktop version, like mint. No more concerns about antivirus.

@Ympker said:

@lantudai said:

Rip Gaming on Linux though. I know there is playonlinux but e.g. LoL doesn't work on it and other stuff doesn't either. Plus cba to do a workaroind for every game nor always boot into linux when I browse the web. It's not like I've been infected and am looking desperately for something to safe me atm just looking for a free solution besides brain.exe after eset expires :P

• I'm using Eset Internet Security (trail) and its working great, i'm looking to get a cheap license... any specific website you guys suggest to get cheapest license?

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@Chalipa said:
    I'm using Eset Internet Security (trail) and its working great, i'm looking to get a cheap license... any specific website you guys suggest to get cheapest license?

I got mine from Notebooksbilliger.de for 19€ in a deal for Eset multidevice

• @Ympker said:

How about this?

https://www.g2a.com/en/eset-smart-security-3-devices-global-key-pc-eset-1-year-i10000004207002

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@Chalipa said:

@Ympker said:

How about this?

https://www.g2a.com/en/eset-smart-security-3-devices-global-key-pc-eset-1-year-i10000004207002

I've bought several times from G2A. Shouldn't be a problem :)

• nothing,
    using Ubuntu Linux without worry :D

• @southy said:
    Bottom line: there are Windows PCs in process management plane and every once in a while there is reason to check them.

Yes, AV are crap.

Since you believe that most AV are crap, if you have the resources, have you considered an EDR solution instead? I'm assuming that since you are looking for a USB solution that you are not looking for a preventative solution. Are you trying to use it to clean up an infection - post-incident? You may be better off doing a re-image in those cases than to try to cleanup an infection.

• I use no anti-virus software on win 10, which would make the system laggy..

• flipperhostflipperhost Member, Patron Provider

I use Kaspersky. It catches more than what ESET does.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@JerryHou said:
    I use no anti-virus software on win 10, which would make the system laggy..

ESET did not make the system laggy though :P

• corefluxcoreflux Member
    edited July 2018

+1 McAfee, best deal is Malwarebytes Pro if you afraid of ransomwarethings,...

• @Ympker said:

@JerryHou said:

I stopped using ESET for a long long while because my license was expired and I didn't want to renew it, so I went with Avast...

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@JerryHou said:

@Ympker said:

@JerryHou said:

I stopped using ESET for a long long while because my license was expired and I didn't want to renew it, so I went with Avast...

Yeah I won't renew it too. Switched to Bitdefender Free^^

Thanked by 1JerryHou