Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[avoid] ChicagoVPS dedicated, fake dedicated, huge packet loss - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[avoid] ChicagoVPS dedicated, fake dedicated, huge packet loss

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@PremiumN said:
    Why this thread in offtopic?

Doesn't show up on the google.

Francisco

Thanked by 2ATHK BillyE
  • deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited October 2016

@Falzo said:

the word "Dedicated" does not mean in any dictionary you get a "whole physical something" either.

yes, it may be misleading, but as a customer I should be able to calrify beforehand with sales, if I am curious what that's all about.

So, if someone sells a "super smart diet brownie" in the healthy foods section and it's a packaged slice of turd...

• @jbiloh said:
    Hi @TheLinuxBug,

We've serviced tens of thousands of customers at our ChicagoVPS brand, and our Smart Server lineup has been very successful. It's not for everyone however, and for those customers who require the added power of bare metal equipment we offer that service too. In this case, we regret any confusion or inconvenience caused to the purchaser and will happily provide a refund.

Meanwhile we intend to add some more language to the ChicagoVPS website to explain the dedicated resource pools offered by our Smart Server lineup, similar to what is written on the Hudson Valley Host page. We see how more detail would be helpful to differentiate the products and we'll have that updated today.

And then people wonder why a politician with 30-years of experience isn't 50 points ahead already....

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • BeardyUnixGuyBeardyUnixGuy Member
    edited October 2016

Could a moderator (or two) please comment on why this discussion was moved to 'Off topic' and why this was still seen as appropriate?

This looks like abuse of VSNX/CC power to me considering the quality of some lesser reviews that still exist within the 'Review' section.

LET should either allow positive+negative reviews for a provider, or none at all.

• @deadbeef said:

So, if someone sells a "super smart diet brownie" in the healthy foods section and it's a packaged slice of turd...

yes, most probably, as all of those terms in "super smart diet brownie" aren't clearly defined either.

and you are telling, that especially if this "super smart diet brownie" is only partially the price of all other "diet brownies" around you wouldn't have a further look why that may be?

not even think about peeking through the wrapping or at the ingredients listing or something like that? just blindly going to buy and complain afterwards? okay man, here is your slice of turd, you really earned it ^^

again, I won't deny the fact that the headline dedicated server may be misleading here, never did. but I would expect a bit of common sense from everybody, just like when buying food or alike ;-)

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited October 2016

@jarland @amitz @jbiloh if the @op didn't request the change to off topic, please change it back.

Yet another disingenuous move by CC and CVPS to change it in the first place.

I know CC owns this place but it doesn't mean CC should just change valid concerns to off topic and sink them.

Or, I guess we could go ahead and make a new thread with an even more enticing title and point people here?

Ever heard the saying "Don't shit where you eat"? Well this is exactly what CC is doing by moving this thread to off topic. If you want more people to come here, better transparency is where you should be starting, by just burying things they don't like, it shows that we can't trust posting content here.

my 2 cents!

Cheers!

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited October 2016

@Falzo said:

@deadbeef said:

yes, most probably, as all of those terms in "super smart diet brownie" aren't clearly defined either.

and you are telling, that especially if this "super smart diet brownie" is only partially the price of all other "diet brownies" around you wouldn't have a further look why that may be?

not even think about peeking through the wrapping or at the ingredients listing or something like that? just blindly going to buy and complain afterwards? okay man, here is your slice of turd, you really earned it ^^

Clearly "imho people who are not capable to note the difference in what and how ressources are offered despite how they are mainly called shouldn't be allowed to order anything at all", right? Let's ban 95% of the population from the super markets, what could go wrong?

Btw, how exactly would you know it was a turd if in the ingredients it said "organically processed wheat, proteins, minerals, X, Y, Z"?

again, I won't deny the fact that the headline dedicated server may be misleading here, never did. but I would expect a bit of common sense from everybody, just like when buying food or alike ;-)

Not "may be". It is. It's made specifically to be so. The whole point is to lead the noob into thinking they're getting something else than what they are actually buying. Otherwise nobody would bother doing that.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@TheLinuxBug said:
    @jarland @amitz @jbiloh if the @op didn't request the change to off topic, please change it back.

Reviews category seems appropriate. Not sure what it was originally or when it was moved. Can check the log later.

Off topic is great for when people try to use LET to smear a host to strong arm them into doing what they want. Most commonly when they misuse the word scam. This thread does not seem inappropriate. The website is unclear and needs to be fixed.

• @Falzo @doughmanes @Lee I am the OP. This is my first LET account because I have never posted here before. (I have visited LEB a couple of times before)

While I totally accept the fact I am paying 1/8 of a bare-metal, there is no way to verify that. (See the cpu-info I posted, it got QEMU)

And the network problem is real, I still can't fully install python on the server. Kicking the ball with support.

@Lee I am afraid of being identified? Shut up, my CVPS support ticket #UIO-175581 (network problem still not resolved)
    My CVPS Invoice #241909

I did not scam/intimidate anyone, why I am scared? Why you guys ignore my #2 problem, which is even worse than #1? (for my user experience)

@jarland thanks for offering a refund, I have planned to cancel the server if the network problem is not resolved tomorrow. May I contact you for refund in a day or two?

Thanked by 1FlamesRunner
  • @jbiloh said:
    @billy_z please advise on your account ID and we'll process a refund for you. Regret any inconvenience you experienced.

If you are looking for a bare metal server we also offer those.

Regarding the packet loss, please send us a trace route in both directions so we can take a look. We're not seeing any issues on our side.

@jbiloh thanks for offering a refund. my CVPS Invoice #241909

Ticket for the network problem: #UIO-175581
    Unfortunately I can not pin-point a traceroute error at this time. I use "conda" package manager to install python packages. There are about 50 downloads involved.

conda install numpy simplejson mysql-connector-python scikit-learn pandas --yes

This download and installs 100% at home and 5 other VPS, but can't run on this particular host I just bought.
    I suspect it is because my IP address 198.12.126.10 is blacklisted. But I have never run into this before.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

billy_z said: @jbiloh thanks for offering a refund. my CVPS Invoice #241909

Ticket for the network problem: #UIO-175581 Unfortunately I can not pin-point a traceroute error at this time. I use "conda" package manager to install python packages. There are about 50 downloads involved.

I've asked our consumer division manager, @VSNX_Nick to resolve this first thing in the morning for you.

Thank you!

• @jarland said:

@TheLinuxBug said:

Reviews category seems appropriate. Not sure what it was originally or when it was moved. Can check the log later.

Would like to see that log when you get a chance :)

@ATHK said:

@jarland said:

@TheLinuxBug said:

Would like to see that log when you get a chance :)

I think you know what it shows. We've already talked about it.

• @jarland said:

I take it you mean, that someone had moved it to Off Topic, I would like to know who that someone was :)

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@ATHK said:

@jarland said:

I take it you mean, that someone had moved it to Off Topic, I would like to know who that someone was :)

ME!

• @jbiloh said:

@ATHK said:

@jarland said:

ME!

Just a wee bit disappointed in you right now..

edited October 2016

ATHK said: Just a wee bit disappointed in you right now..

He's human like the rest of us but he took the feedback on it well. He's actually a pretty cool and chill guy.

Luckily we have community members that are badass enough to call us out.

Thanked by 2BeardyUnixGuy ATHK
  • @kijin said:
    In addition to the wrong number of cores, the 100GB/200GB HDD is also a dead giveaway. Real HDDs come in multiples of 250GB, at least since the end of the last decade.

It's misleading to call it a dedicated server, but there's no standardization whatsoever of these marketing terms so caveat emptor.

Well just to clarify there are 128GB SSD disks aswell :P

• NickNick Member, Patron Provider

billy_z said: @jbiloh thanks for offering a refund. my CVPS Invoice #241909

Ticket for the network problem: #UIO-175581 Unfortunately I can not pin-point a traceroute error at this time. I use "conda" package manager to install python packages. There are about 50 downloads involved.

conda install numpy simplejson mysql-connector-python scikit-learn pandas --yes

This download and installs 100% at home and 5 other VPS, but can't run on this particular host I just bought.

I suspect it is because my IP address 198.12.126.10 is blacklisted. But I have never run into this before.

I have replied to your ticket and hope you are willing to accept our offer.

Thanks!

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

jarland said: He's human like the rest of us but he took the feedback on it well.

So he ignored the past 5 years of feedback before this point then? haha

one of us, one of us.

• @VSNX_Nick @jbiloh
    Thanks for the response and resolution. I am replying on the support ticket.

@AnthonySmith said:

jarland said: He's human like the rest of us but he took the feedback on it well.

So he ignored the past 5 years of feedback before this point then? haha

one of us, one of us.

You mean where we all sat around and just railed on him? I can relate in that I don't take constant berating well either.

• NickNick Member, Patron Provider

billy_z said: @VSNX_Nick @jbiloh Thanks for the response and resolution. I am replying on the support ticket.

You are most welcome, enjoy your brand new bare-metal dedicated server :)

Thanked by 2ManofServer Falzo
    edited October 2016

jarland said: You mean where we all sat around and just railed on him? I can relate in that I don't take constant berating well either.

Naa, the 5 years of people being pissed off at him being constantly in the grey area of the truth and sidestepping rather than being direct, anyway, I don't need to explain it, I know you know I know you know I know.

edit: I don't know why I am bothering actually, you would have to be incredibly stupid or ruthless to still be pulling this sort of crap, neither of which will be resolved by others pointing it out :)

• ipasces6ipasces6 Member
    edited October 2016

@AnthonySmith said:.

I know you know I know you know I know.

I know that you know that I know that you know. But do you know that I know that you know that I know that you know that I know?

I will let myself out.

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • LeeLee Veteran

ipasces6 said: I know that you know that I know that you know. But do you know that I know that you know that I know that you know that I know?

There is a valuable message in there somewhere.

AnthonySmith said: I don't know why I am bothering actually, you would have to be incredibly stupid or ruthless to still be pulling this sort of crap, neither of which will be resolved by others pointing it out :)

Perhaps I'm just more optimistic than you are and I have a bit more faith in people.

• @jarland said:

AnthonySmith said: I don't know why I am bothering actually, you would have to be incredibly stupid or ruthless to still be pulling this sort of crap, neither of which will be resolved by others pointing it out :)

Perhaps I'm just more optimistic than you are and I have a bit more faith in people.

After so many years on LET, having any faith in people should be considered a significant achievement.

jarland said: Perhaps I'm just more optimistic than you are and I have a bit more faith in people.

lol ok.

Some days I just don't even know what you're on about, Ant. Love you anyway.

This discussion has been closed.