Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[avoid] ChicagoVPS dedicated, fake dedicated, huge packet loss
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[avoid] ChicagoVPS dedicated, fake dedicated, huge packet loss

billy_zbilly_z Member
edited October 2016 in Reviews

Can't find review for their dedicated service, think I'd post about my experiences using Chicago VPS dedicated.
Hope this can be a warning for the next person to avoid them.

Okay, I am cheap, so I signed up for the 25% off deal.
https://www.chicagovps.net/services/dedicated-servers
Intel Xeon E3-1240V3 2 x 3.4GHz 8GB 200GB HDD 10TB $25/mo

The main use of this machine is to do some data analysis(python pandas etc). No data stored, this is only a computation node, so I am not worried about losing data.

Problem 1: False advertisement
EDIT: I was expecting 1/2 of E3-1240v3 which is 2 cores. This QEMU CPU, I don't know what real hardware it is.
Correction: sysbench on 1 thread shows 2x performance of $5 DO. two thread is 4x. My bad to miss it.

ORIGINAL
It is a VPS, not dedicated. Performance is not great, definitely not a "E3-1240V3"
sysbench performance is about 2x of a $5 digitalocean node.

processor : 0 vendor_id : GenuineIntel cpu family : 6 model : 13 model name : QEMU Virtual CPU version (cpu64-rhel6) stepping : 3 microcode : 1 cpu MHz : 3400.014 cache size : 4096 KB physical id : 0 siblings : 1 core id : 0 cpu cores : 1

Problem 2: Network unstable
Huge packet loss, using internet on the VPS is such a pain.
Takes me on-average 5 tried to sign into SSH.
YUM install program fails, wget slow/fail
Anything that touches the internet is very unstable.

NSLOOKUP takes 1~2 sec on average. Tried all different nameservers, none can be reached reliably (Mon Oct 24 00:35:42 EDT 2016)

time nslookup yahoo.ca Server: 8.8.4.4 Address: 8.8.4.4#53 Non-authoritative answer: Name: yahoo.ca Address: 98.137.236.24 Name: yahoo.ca Address: 77.238.184.24 Name: yahoo.ca Address: 74.6.50.24 real 0m2.031s user 0m0.001s sys 0m0.003s

Comments

• Thanked by 1Nick
  • NickNick Member, Patron Provider

Sorry to hear about your experience, toss me a ticket number and I will see that your issues are addressed :)

Thanks!

• hzrhzr Member
    edited October 2016

it does say "smart server" repeatedly, and check out says the category is hybrid server.

the top section says smart/hybrid and the bottom clearly says dedicated server -- i would honestly have at least asked them if you noticed any part of that page.. (not taking either side here)

• @hzr said:
    it does say "smart server" repeatedly, and check out says the category is hybrid server.

the top section says smart/hybrid and the bottom clearly says dedicated server -- i would honestly have at least asked them if you noticed any part of that page.. (not taking either side here)

In all fairness to @billy_z, it doesn't make it clear if it's a dedicated, large KVM, etc. "Smart" could be read as a marketing term. It should be clearly stated. Even looking at the route path, it's under dedicated-servers.

Thanked by 2joepie91 ucxo
  • When you see 2X CPU cores, it has to be a VPS, the dedicated part probably means dedicated resource.

Thanked by 1Nick
  • kijinkijin Member
    edited October 2016

In addition to the wrong number of cores, the 100GB/200GB HDD is also a dead giveaway. Real HDDs come in multiples of 250GB, at least since the end of the last decade.

It's misleading to call it a dedicated server, but there's no standardization whatsoever of these marketing terms so caveat emptor.

• Do you really think you'll get a full E3-1240v3 for $19? Open your eyes and be realistic.

Thanked by 3MikeA Nick ATHK
  • hzrhzr Member

tragic said: In all fairness to @billy_z, it doesn't make it clear if it's a dedicated, large KVM, etc. "Smart" could be read as a marketing term. It should be clearly stated. Even looking at the route path, it's under dedicated-servers.

Yeah I guess, but I want to say that at least in my experience, it's reasonable to expect that a "smart" server is virtualised bare metal, and a "hybrid" server is more than one person on the same bare metal machine -- this terminology is heavily used by many many companies

Also, the fact that they sell a plan with 2xE3-1240v3 and 4xE3-1240v3 cores directly next to each other would at least raise questions for me -- at that point I'd at least contact sales asking or something for confirmation

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@TheOnlyDK said:
    When you see 2X CPU cores, it has to be a VPS, the dedicated part probably means dedicated resource.

Almost like a slice of a server.

Huh.

Francisco

• @FredQc said:
    Do you really think you'll get a full E3-1240v3 for $19? Open your eyes and be realistic.

I was expecting a slice of E3-1240v3. Something like KVM instead of QEMU.

In this instance I couldn't verify it runs on top of E3-1240v3 host.

Thanked by 1programer
  • @hzr said:

tragic said: In all fairness to @billy_z, it doesn't make it clear if it's a dedicated, large KVM, etc. "Smart" could be read as a marketing term. It should be clearly stated. Even looking at the route path, it's under dedicated-servers.

Yeah I guess, but I want to say that at least in my experience, it's reasonable to expect that a "smart" server is virtualised bare metal, and a "hybrid" server is more than one person on the same bare metal machine -- this terminology is heavily used by many many companies

Also, the fact that they sell a plan with 2xE3-1240v3 and 4xE3-1240v3 cores directly next to each other would at least raise questions for me -- at that point I'd at least contact sales asking or something for confirmation

I was expecting 1/2 of E3-1240v3. But in my case sysbench does not look like I am getting it.

• hzrhzr Member
    edited October 2016

billy_z said: Something like KVM instead of QEMU.

QEMU uses/is KVM

• billy_z said: Hope this can be a warning for the next person to avoid them.

Chicago VPS has a reputation but it appears you were chasing the cheapest price possible without understanding what it is. Where did you get your server deployed at and what country do you live in might explain the connectivity issue

• RodneyRodney Member
    edited October 2016

@billy_z said:

I was expecting 1/2 of E3-1240v3. But in my case sysbench does not look like I am getting it.

More like 1/4th, they are probably counting threads as cores.

• @doughmanes said:

billy_z said: Hope this can be a warning for the next person to avoid them.

Chicago VPS has a reputation but it appears you were chasing the cheapest price possible without understanding what it is. Where did you get your server deployed at and what country do you live in might explain the connectivity issue

I am connecting from Toronto, Canada. About 150km from Buffalo, NY.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited October 2016

www.chicagovps.net/services/dedicated-servers <- pure scam

Says dedicated two times, yet there's no 2-core variant of the E3-1240V3; if it's a KVM VPS, then this page is false advertisement and basically fraud. Hint: the word "Smart" does not mean in any dictionary that it's "a part of something whole" either.

Thanked by 3switsys deadbeef BillyE
  • the word "Dedicated" does not mean in any dictionary you get a "whole physical something" either.

yes, it may be misleading, but as a customer I should be able to calrify beforehand with sales, if I am curious what that's all about.

maybe simply ask support to pass on host cpu instead of qemu...

• Anyone who questions my home connection speed or country of origin can shut up. I live closer to Bufallo, NY than 90% of Americans.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5740253259

• @Falzo said:

the word "Dedicated" does not mean in any dictionary you get a "whole physical something" either.

yes, it may be misleading, but as a customer I should be able to calrify beforehand with sales, if I am curious what that's all about.

maybe simply ask support to pass on host cpu instead of qemu...

Na.

You can't just subvert near-universally understood terminology. Doing so is at best stupidity, at worst it's a deliberate attempt to mislead less knowledgeable customers.

Thanked by 3rm_ vedran switsys
  • Welp, ChicagoVPS.

• @Francisco 's slices are better.
    @VirMach https://virmach.com/vds-dedicated-servers/ These unmanaged dedis are crazy and cheap, i'm pretty sure that you can afford it

Thanked by 1VirMach
  • If one scrolls down further on that same page,

https://www.chicagovps.net/services/dedicated-servers ,

one finds true (bare metal) dedicated servers, starting at $85/m for an Intel Xeon E3-1240v2.

Arguably, it would be potentially less misleading if ChicagoVPS put smart servers on a separate page and said what a "smart server" is. At the same time (in ChicagoVPS's defense), they do indicate very clearly that the servers in question are smart servers.

There are precedents for the term "smart server" in the sense intended by ChicagoVPS. For example:

http://www.codero.com/smart-server-hosting/why-smart-server
    https://www.serverpronto.com/smart-server.php

To quote the latter: "Smart Servers are a new breed of dedicated server that offers the best of two worlds: the power of dedicated servers and flexibility of cloud computing." (As Francisco noted, smart servers correspond to BuyVM's slices.)

• @rm_ said:
    www.chicagovps.net/services/dedicated-servers <- pure scam

Says dedicated two times, yet there's no 2-core variant of the E3-1240V3; if it's a KVM VPS, then this page is false advertisement and basically fraud. Hint: the word "Smart" does not mean in any dictionary that it's "a part of something whole" either.

You're also expecting a vps with 2 dedicated cores to come with a separate cpu socket for your 2 cores?

No, it's not bare metal, yes the resources listed there are DEDICATED to you. No one else is using your 2 threads, no one else is using your 8gb ram.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
    edited October 2016

teamacc said: No, it's not bare metal, yes the resources listed there are DEDICATED to you. No one else is using your 2 threads, no one else is using your 8gb ram.

This says dedicated server, not half server, not 2 cores out of 4. I don't need to be an expert on what core counts Intel CPUs currently have, but if I'm being offered a dedicated server, I expect to get one, not a half or a quarter of it. As mentioned above the phrase "dedicated server" has an accepted meaning in this industry, you may try to redefine it however you wish, but it will only look weird and paint you as trying to pull a scam attempt by offering less than what customer expects.

And no "clarify with the support before buying" is total b/s, an offer page should clearly represent what is being sold, with no possible misinterpretation -- especially when the most common misinterpretation is specifically set up to work in the seller's favour.

• I've seen this on the BudgetVM Site too, I think it's a little naughty.

Yes, using a bit of sense it is clear that's it couldn't possibly be a dedi. But not everyone is as educated as many people here and could easily be misled or confused by it.

I get that anyone looking for a small dedi is being pushed to look at these big VPS' instead, but it should be made much clearer.

Thanked by 2switsys DETio
  • VortexMagnus said: I've seen this on the BudgetVM Site too, I think it's a little naughty.

Yes, using a bit of sense it is clear that's it couldn't possibly be a dedi. But not everyone is as educated as many people here and could easily be misled or confused by it.

I get that anyone looking for a small dedi is being pushed to look at these big VPS' instead, but it should be made much clearer.

Yes, it's potentially misleading given that "dedicated server" used to mean "bare metal server". Now it may also refer to a VPS with dedicated resources. Nevertheless, I would not say that ChicagoVPS has falsely advertised something. (As I said above, there are precedents for "smart server", and in the case of doubt, it doesn't hurt to ask before purchasing.)

• LeeLee Veteran

If the OP is as novice as he claims to be, athough I doubt it.

billy_z said: The main use of this machine is to do some data analysis(python pandas etc)

Then this

VortexMagnus said: But not everyone is as educated as many people here and could easily be misled or confused by it.

Should indeed mean contacting support to clarify is not BS.

rm_ said: And no "clarify with the support before buying" is total b/s

rm_ said: the phrase "dedicated server" has an accepted meaning in this industry

No more than cloud has an accepted meaning to the inexperienced.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
    edited October 2016

angstrom said: given that "dedicated server" used to mean "bare metal server"

Used to mean, and still means.

angstrom said: Now it may also refer to a VPS with dedicated resources.

Only at shoddy providers trying to scam people by offering not what was advertised.

angstrom said: there are precedents for "smart server"

"Smart" in this context does not mean anything. Certainly does not convey the key characteristic of the product (= that it's not actually a dedicated server). Replace "Smart" with something like "Split", and now we're talking. But as currently, that's just a meaningless marketing term.

• LeeLee Veteran

Bottom line, its a VPS with dedicated CPU share. It's CC though, there could be a twist..

This discussion has been closed.