Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BEST VPS PROVIDER - For serious website - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BEST VPS PROVIDER - For serious website

Comments

• nothing, you're linode staff?
    if yes. get out from here.
    if not. get out from here.

• I have a good experience with ipxcore. Try them.

• If the community allow us to say. VelociHOST is not considered a LEB provider but for its smallest package. We only use KVM, VPSs can be provisioned up to 30GB of RAM, pure SSD Drives on Xeon E5s and 1Gbps are standard on all client's VPSs. We also own and operate our own network and hardware. Thank you.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited April 2013

@jarland said: I know most are jokes and no one has taken the time to compile a list of who people think is the best out of the ones that will actually host a website.

Because popularity in some community doesn't mean top quality by default. People at LEB/LET often mix great long term top notch service with cool guys (piar) here. Many popular hosts here are good but relatively good service isn't the same as great top notch service where you would host your corporate website.
    Any such list would be first expression of popularity and then quality.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited April 2013

@Spirit said: Because popularity in some community doesn't mean top quality by default. People at LEB/LET often mix great top notch service with cool guys (PIAR) here. Many popular hosts here are good but relatively good service isn't the same as great top notch service where you would host your corporate website. Any such list would be first expression of popularity and then quality.

Point taken. I guess my thought is even in asking this question, the answers will still be the same. In a sea of providers, every one of us feels qualified to host a "serious" website. In a sea of loyal customers, every one of them feels like their favorite host is capable of that as well.

• @jarland said: In a sea of loyal customers, every one of them feels like their favorite host is capable of that as well.

Something like that, yes.

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited April 2013

@Spirit said: same as great top notch service where you would host your corporate website.

Out of curiosity, what falls under this? I mean what defines this?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@HalfEatenPie said: Out of curiosity, what falls under this? I mean what defines this?

It certainly isn't just being established and well known. Otherwise GoDaddy would take home the quality trophy.

• Linode or Prometeus BIZ vps, but that there is a different tos for that product line.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited April 2013

@HalfEatenPie said: Out of curiosity, what falls under this? I mean what defines this?

Definition? I can't talk about definition - the devil is in the details. Long term consistency is imho. most important factor. I don't want to be moved from DC to DC every year. I want to keep same IPs over years. I want host who's aware that details are important to their clients. Host who don't need me to notify them about server issues. Things can go wrong with every host. Sooner or later. Difference is how host deal with them. Some hosts consider few minutes of downtime as terrible, some aren't capable to say sorry after half day of downtime. It's everything in details which makes us to feel comfortable with hosts.

I will show you little example in my recent two VPSs migrations.

Recent migration notification from LEB host I consider as good but wouldn't host anything mission critical with them:

We have received a new Germany server to improve our service and shut down this old clunky one.

We are allowing users to move themselves to the new server to ensure trouble free movement for all customers.
    If you wish to move yourself please open up a ticket in the WHCMS control panel requesting a new Germany VPS (this way the only thing that will change is your IP Address)
    For those that do not wish to move themselves we will create a new VPS for you upon request (this will cause loss of data unless you have backups) or suspend your service untill you create a ticket (this will still most likely cause data loss unless you have backups) so we recommend you move yourself this can be achieved using tools like SCP, SFTP and RSYNC once the new VPS has been assigned to you.
    This should ensure a safe secure move for all members with the least amount of downtime.

Recent migration notification from LEB host I consider as top notch and feel that I can trust them to do things right:

I hope you are doing great! You are hosting one VM on our scrubs node, which is going to be EOL very soon and will be replaced now. As a complimentary gesture we would like to offer you a VM on an SSD node (Raid 5), using KVM virtualisation. You would be getting the same resources as you have now (including disk space), but the CPU will be better (E3-1230v2). The drawback is that you would have to do a reinstall as we are moving to KVM here.

If you prefer a XEN node, then this can be arranged as well, of course, but will only be SATA/SAS then. You will be assigned a temporary IP to migrate your data, and once done, your new VM would get the old IP back of course.
    Let me know your thoughts, please!
    take care -

Do you notice the difference in level of professionalism in tickets above? First host wasn't even honest with me. They notified me about move to new server instead telling me that they actually packing their bags from DC I am hosted and my VPS will be provisioned in other DC (new location). Is this unimportant factor? Many good LEB hosts take things like move from one location to other or changing IPs like minor unimportant factor. That's ok for many LEB related things, hobbies but not good enough to host serious mission critical things.

In case of second host they acknowledge importance of keeping same IP. They had a plan how to do things properly even if this cost them some extra time. They introduced me more options. They give me all needed informations and wait for my confirmation without any hustle. And once I got new vps and confirmed termination of OLD vps they made extra mile with assigning new IP to my OLD vps just in case I messed up something: "The old sandbox has been shut down, but could be booted if you need something from there - it is not suspended, just shut down, and has a different IP now as well."
    This is what I call professional work!

• @AnthonySmith said: If you still want LEB prices and good quality then look at the KVM and Xen offers, obviously a few LEB hosts that use OpenVZ have not enetered the stupid Ram Race yet so you can look at them too, such as Ramnode, hostigation, BuyVM etc.

Speaking of RAM race... smiles with smug content

• bdtechbdtech Member
    edited April 2013

I'd recommend coupling a provider within 10ms of AWS or Linode for HA setups. This ensures low latency, diversity, and fault tolerance. I'm considering AWS west and linode Fremont. Or bitcable and aws east (<5ms)

Anyone else <10ms from Linode or AWS?

• Huh. I do see @Spirit. Personally I really like/prefer the second response too.

• @Spirit That's the real difference.

• ErnieErnie Patron Provider, Veteran

Server Mania is worth a look - http://www.servermania.com/vps-hosting.htm

• jon617jon617 Veteran
    edited April 2013

@darknessends said: Can you recommend me providers that are very serious in nature and offers they have.

For USA, I'd recommend 6sync and Quickpacket, both extremely reliable, good overall value, and amazing peering. For Europe, Prometeus seems popular though I cannot vouch for them.

• fluidrynofluidryno Member
    edited April 2013

What kinda traffic are you expecting?

• @Cory said: I've been using BigScoots, they offer a managed service so you can self manage then get help when you hit a roadblock. They're really easy to deal with and very quick. Not under $7 a month but still very reasonable.

Thanks for the mention Cory, I'm glad its working out.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I amintain my opinion that something critical will be hosted on more providers and this makes the choice of LEB providers obvious for the price.
    Once you have that setup, it is mostly bullet proof, say, in the mix of 4 hosts, add the fifth if you are really paranoid about LEB reliability.
    I would take that over any AWS, Linode and the mother of all hosts. Or Daddy, that is.

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited May 2013

404 LOL

• @AnthonySmith Your sig......

• epaslvepaslv Member
    edited May 2013

+1 RamNode (been with them for 6+ months)

+1 BuyVM (been with them for 3+ years)

+1 Prometeus (been with them for 1+ year)

• praveenpraveen Member

Linode or Prometeus

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

If your bandwidth usage is low then buy 2 - 3 LEB VPS and use Failover technology ;)

• awsonawson Member

Amazon or Google.

• ayikayik Member

i prefer OVH

• natestammnatestamm Member
    edited May 2013

@darknessends CatalystHost, RamNode, SecureDragon, AlienVPS all have good images, fast support, solid nodes IMHO

Networks/uptime all been great too + Zero tolerance for abusers

• NeoNeo Banned

HAHAH @DewlanceVPS If someone would offer IP failover....

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@Jack said:
    +1 Prometeus

root@debian:~# uptime
    >  15:04:44 up 323 days, 23:35,  1 user,  load average: 0.10, 0.16, 0.17
    > root@debian:~# 

323 days since I bought the box!

Probably not OVZ...

• @Jack said:
    +1 Prometeus

root@debian:~# uptime
    >  15:04:44 up 323 days, 23:35,  1 user,  load average: 0.10, 0.16, 0.17
    > root@debian:~# 

323 days since I bought the box!

Anyone said anything about onepoundwebhosting? they are great too!

Uptime != no downtime. OpenVZ, KVM, ... can suspend the vps reboot the host node and start it up again. VPS uptime doesn´t recognize the downtime.

We bulit some ha setups for our customers with 2 lbs (haproxy) one virtual ip and 2 or more vpss for the content on two or more nodes. All vpss using glusterfs for shared storage.