Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BEST VPS PROVIDER - For serious website - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BEST VPS PROVIDER - For serious website

Comments

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@Jack said: Do they have a ticket sys yet?

Not yet, no.

• hostdime

• I guess the first question would be is what you consider serious. I could probably name the number of things I consider to be serious things to host on one hand. None of which belong on a VPS server. They all belong on dedicated servers with their own levels of protection and infrastructures in place.

That being said you need to take a good look at what you want to host and decide if it is mission critical enough to you to classify as "serious", as you put it. If it is not something illegal or it is not going to attract the wrong kind of attention then find a host that suits the budget you think you want now. If there is even a chance of either of those things being true that I just mentioned you need to rethink your strategy, and maybe come out of your comfort zone on prices.

Since I have no clue what you are looking at hosting nor do I want to that is just my advice.

• For a non-LEB VPS, I've gotta recommend RocketVPS. They're great.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I've been very happy with KnownHost and they enjoy an excellent reputation.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@MannDude said: For a non-LEB VPS, I've gotta recommend RocketVPS. They're great.

aka KnownHost :-) RocketVPs is the unmanaged side of KH.

KH proper is managed, while Rocket is not.

• nrticnrtic Member

linode, prometeus/iperweb, ramnode, buyvm, wiredtree, amazon aws, ms azure, google compute, rackspace, softlayer

http://prgmr.com/xen/

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited April 2013

I also believe nothing mission critical should be hosted on:
    1. Single homed host;
    2. Non-HA server;
    3. Budget DataCenter.
    Amazon had various problems too.
    In fact, I do not believe anything mission critical should be hosted on a single host.
    If you want cheap and unbreakable, make a HA scheme across LEB providers in different countries on different carriers. The probability that all will go down the same time/lose data is abismal. From 4+ we are more likely to be extinct due to a big asteroid hitting earth or a thermonuclear war which would shut down the whole internet.

• for eu: prometeus biz plan, evorack
    for us: buyvm, ramnode, hostigation

but you can also try liquidweb

• nocomnocom Member

eu - prometeus excellent network, connectivity and management BTW 50cent plan for testing and development
    us - ramhost hosted website alexa 1.5mil rank/ tinyvz/mem average 33 max 88 no tickets, no os reloads, website restore or down for 1y and couple mnths

Providers are very serious for me at least, excellent server, network management and knowledge.

• RocketVPS (unmanaged end of KnownHost) - Sincere business with serious pricing..
    Prometeus - Serious business with sincere pricing ;)

• US: Catalyst, Hostigation, BuyVM, NodeDeploy.

EU: NodeDeploy, Prometeus.

• Linode
    Rackspace
    Prometeus

• @Voss said: 6sync

6sync isn't rackspace now?

• @Jack said: Can't believe no one has mentioned Stuart/ @onepound ...

@Infinity you have a box with him, don't you?

Thanks @Jack , @Infinity

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

@MannDude said: For a non-LEB VPS, I've gotta recommend RocketVPS. They're great.

I've got to agree with you here, they're fantastic.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Thanks for the mentions, guys!

• JacobHJacobH Member
    edited April 2013

RackSRV in the UK should be pretty good as well, they have both Xen and OpenVZ plans.

• pcanpcan Member

The "serious website" appellation is a bit generic, but I presume that a Joomla web site with a big image gallery that shows products installed on industrial plants could fit the definition; it is a business site that people may want to check at work.
    I loaded it on a stock Prometeus VZ7. If you check the daily and yearly pingdom response logs, you see why many people are recomending Prometeus. Pingdom is monitoring a http page, so you see the actual response time of the web application. There are no sudden jumps on the long term graph. There is a trend toward increased latency, but it is clearly dealt with. Last year there was a similar peak, and the VPS was quickly migrated on a faster node; I didn't have to open any ticket to have the speed of the site fully restored (it is better than before, actually). The web site has a worldwide target, and I haven't received any complaint even from far away locations, so the network is good. There has been no significant downtime on the last 12 months; Pingdom shows a network blip once a month or so, but this monitoring system is far from perfect. The site was initially hosted on a VZ5 but it collapsed when a successful Adwords campaign multiplied the number of visit; I placed the upgrade request and the RAM was increased almost immediately: support is very fast. Salvatore even gave me a trial openvz Biz VPS to test the performance under load. It is better, as expected, but the VZ7 is still enough for now.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2013

Judging from the amount of outages at BuyVM recently (seemingly because of FiberHub?), I absolutely cannot recommend them for a serious site. Nothing against @Francisco and the gang, I just don't think it'll really fit the requirements in the OP.

EDIT: Not necessarily recommending other providers in this thread either, I don't have any experience with or knowledge of most of them :)

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@joepie91 said: Judging from the amount of outages at BuyVM recently, I absolutely cannot recommend them for a serious site. Nothing against @Francisco and the gang, I just don't think it'll really fit the requirements in the OP.

NY's been rock solid since it's a far more simple network. It's literally router box <> layer2 switch <> rest of the setup. LV is the same but LV has LACP in the mix which is....ehhhh. I'm pretty sure LACP isn't balls when you're doing it in hardware, but in software it seems iffy.

LV's biggest issue is I like to tinker too much. With that being said, the current router is getting retired this week it looks like :)

Francisco

@Francisco said: NY's been rock solid since it's a far more simple network. It's literally router box <> layer2 switch <> rest of the setup.

Hmm, is that at ColoCrossing? I've seen issues with network blips in the routing to Europe with them (at various different VPS providers).

• I've used RamNode and Prometeus in production extensively. (The service in my signature is primarly hosted at Prometeus)

In the past I used Joyent Cloud, but the performance of the two aforementioned providers was genuinely superior in pretty much all aspects - Those are my two go-to hosts for the US and EU.

If they don't take your fancy, @mitgib's Hostigation is highly recommended, as is Edis.at.

If I were you, I'd rent out a few boxes and trial run them for a couple weeks at a time, find out which works best for you. Whatever you're running may be more CPU/RAM/Network bound than other peoples' applications.

Anyhow, good luck with your choice!

• edited April 2013

Always heard good things about Linode, been around for quite awhile, kept their repuation up. When saying "heard" good things about Linode, haven't yet tried them myself. Atm still a vps newbie and only dipping toe in pool right now.

With that said ... would NEVER consider any ( the majority anyway) of cheap vps providers as "production" level hosts. Many LEB providers imo are exactly that, cheap vps providers to feck around with, get feet wet and then mucho quick switch anything that matters over to a more reputable vps provider like Linode or similar.

Again only 2 cents ... worth less than that in reality. As I don't have the 1st hand experience yet to authoriatively comment on these topics. Yet Linode's rep + track record/etc ... make it pretty obvious as to the quality someone is likely to receive and have seen them mentioned many times through-out the comments in this thread, which reaffirms my previous findings/thoughts about the subject.

@Nothingcomes2mind said: Always heard good things about Linode, been around for quite awhile, kept their repuation up. When saying "heard" good things about Linode, haven't yet tried them myself. Atm still a vps newbie and only dipping toe in pool right now.

With that said ... would NEVER consider any ( the majority anyway) of cheap vps providers as "production" level hosts. Many LEB providers imo are exactly that, cheap vps providers to feck around with, get feet wet and then mucho quick switch anything that matters over to a more reputable vps provider like Linode or similar.

Again only 2 cents ... worth less than that in reality. As I don't have the 1st hand experience yet to authoriatively comment on these topics. Yet Linode's rep + track record/etc ... make it pretty obvious as to the quality someone is likely to receive and have seen them mentioned many times through-out the comments in this thread, which reaffirms my previous findings/thoughts about the subject.

Don't forget this event.

• edited April 2013

That thread, esp the OP is ALL OVER THE PLACE. Guy sounds to me like he's stoned, "between hospital visits" etc. Contacted Linode, told em I have a massive list of IP's they should what ... blacklist across a gazillion vms ? and they informed me, they were'nt interested ... Imo ... I wouldn't be interested in the feedback from some unknown stoner, as to solutions they thought they could/might offer either. What reputable professional company would be ?

Ahhhh random stoner ... you have feedback, while knowing chitall about the backend of what we're doing. By all means, let's drop everything and listen to this totally anonymous nobody who knows feckall about how we work ? By all means, the company should defer to them ?

According to Serverbear and similar, Linode has met or exceeded it's Sla's ( sevice level agreement's) with clients. Which the claimed gold standard with any host ... Includ shared hosting ... Seems to be 99.9% uptime.

Every IT solution as far as I know, is going to have occasional issue(s) with providing service. Someone like Linode's been around for long n longgggg, kept a reputation for quality regardless. Also as mentioned, just the findings based upon a shizzleton of research, lacking 1st hand experience.

Not like I give da slightest fark, whether anyone chooses Linode or xyz provider for a "production" environment. I certainly get no kickbacks or incentives from Linode. Only saying it's obvious, that provider is one of the longer standing vps hosts, with a better and more known track record than many in the industry. Atm ... Linode is my primary vps provider candidate of choice for "production" level chit.

Could also be wrong ... several yr gnu/nix desktop user, new to vps's and server admin. Shrugs.

edited April 2013

That random stoner is the owner of LowEndBox/LowEndTalk, and I can tell you it's far from stoned, and if I were him I'd be fairly offended. I'm not going to go on about his personal life, but I can tell you that those hospital visits were definately nothing like you are thinking of.

People might hate on him for various things, but taking a personal dig at him like that is not acceptable, sure go dig at him for how he manages LEB/LET etc. if you want but you stepped the line in my eyes.

And yet you still haven't actually addressed the issue at hand, it would help if you actually read it properly.

• edited April 2013

^ Owner old ... or new ?

Not that it matters in any case. Don't doubt the guy who started this site + community knows a craptonne about which he speaketh. That being getting the most out of lowend vps's.

Folks concerned with "production" environments aren't as likely to be concerned with getting the absolute most of of their hosting resources, as they are with getting quality hosting ? Ah either way ... stand by the opinions and again, many others in the thread seemed to have cosigned Linode as well.

@Nothingcomes2mind said: ^ Owner old ... or new ?

New owner, and what does it matter, new or old. Taking a personal dig at someone without actually addressing the issue at hand is just childish.

@Nothingcomes2mind said: Don't doubt the guy who started this site + community knows a a craptonne about which he speaketh. That being getting the most out of lowend vps's.

I don't think you know what you're talking about either, I still have yet to see any sense from you...

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

You guys are missing the point. Which LEB providers here are best for actual hosting? I know most are jokes and no one has taken the time to compile a list of who people think is the best out of the ones that will actually host a website.