Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which CDN do you use or recommend? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which CDN do you use or recommend?

Comments

• @jaden said:

I noticed that as well but it doesn't seem to have effect on existing users? I was able to add $29 credit just now.

Does adding the $29 credit reset your account for another year? On my account, it says, "Recharge Amount (min. 49 USD)" on the Buy Credits page.

I have no idea, I anyway use the $29 credit within a few days so not sure.

• @clarity_64 said:
    I would just like to say that I have been messaging with @BunnySpeed this morning, and we have gotten everything taken care of. I would definitely recommend them to anyone that is looking for a CDN service.

I'm having the same problem... Was it something with your setup? I can't get it to pull anything...

• BunnySpeedBunnySpeed Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2016

@kendid said:

@clarity_64 said:
    I would just like to say that I have been messaging with @BunnySpeed this morning, and we have gotten everything taken care of. I would definitely recommend them to anyone that is looking for a CDN service.

I'm having the same problem... Was it something with your setup? I can't get it to pull anything...

Ahem, really sorry about that. Are you maybe getting the pull zone not configured page? You can send me a PM here with the name of your zone and I can have a look.

• Just out of interest: What do you host with bunnycdn that wouldn't load as fast or faster with CloudFlare?

What makes a CDN with a lot less locations more interesting for the people?

Thanked by 1simonindia
  • kendidkendid Veteran
    edited November 2016

I'm finding cloudflare slow on some things -- my banner images (14-30kb) take up to 6 seconds at times... Yet other times are instantaneous...

• That is impossible! Why not open a support ticket to cloudflare?

@kendid said:
    I'm finding cloudflare slow on some things -- my banner image (14kb) takes up to 6 seconds at times...

• Unfortunately it IS possible... Other than that I've had nothing but success with cloudflare... 6 secs is one of the longer periods, but it has happened several times...

As for contacting support -- they will try and it will work fine... Probably only 20% of requests are over 2 secs, but that's still to long for such a small file...

• It's working great now on BunnyCDN .. thanks for the help @BunnySpeed

Thanked by 1BunnySpeed
  • just started using cloudfront free tier

edited November 2016

@tr1cky said:
    Just out of interest: What do you host with bunnycdn that wouldn't load as fast or faster with CloudFlare?

Somebody should really write an article about this :)

While CloudFlare is great for what it is, it's not a full CDN. To summarize you get low cache hit rate, varying performance, file size limit etc. I've had a few instances when I noticed people ran CoudFlare on top of our CDN and the request time went down like 3 times when it was disabled. Even worse, it went from and to New York and tested from New York.

Besides, CloudFlare isn't free forever depending on your usage.

EDIT: While having a huge number of locations might seem like a huge performance boost, it's not that obvious in the real world. You might get that 10ms lower ping, but if the line is saturated the performance can be even worse. On top of that, the download speed to the end user can be quite similar even if everything is working perfectly. It can be a bit worse when doing benchmarks, but a user won't notice much of a difference, especially since the connection from the server is usually faster than the connection of the user's home network. With so many locations that CloudFlare has, they also need to keep things in cache, which can be tricky if your content isn't hit all the time they need to make space for things that do actually get hit. If you're looking strictly at the number of locations a "real" CDN, even with less locations might give a 30ms higher response time during perfect conditions, but you can count on it to be consistent. With CloudFlare as @kendid said, it's quite often the case that some requests can get a bit slow. It's a free service after all.

This is just my opinion though. Please don't quote me haha

@kendid said:
    It's working great now on BunnyCDN .. thanks for the help @BunnySpeed

Happy to have helped, sorry about the problem in the first place and thanks for the patience :)

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited November 2016

I'm quite happy with MaxCDN. StackPath (a company that bought MaxCDN) offered a free SSL match from Globalsign when they messed up. Free Comodo Wildcard :D

• ManofServerManofServer Member
    edited November 2016

@BunnySpeed said:

@tr1cky said:
    Just out of interest: What do you host with bunnycdn that wouldn't load as fast or faster with CloudFlare?

While CloudFlare is great for what it is, it's not a full CDN. To summarize you get low cache hit rate, varying performance, file size limit etc. I've had a few instances when I noticed people ran CoudFlare on top of our CDN and the request time went down like 3 times when it was disabled. Even worse, it went from and to New York and tested from New York.

EDIT: While having a huge number of locations might seem like a huge performance boost, it's not that obvious in the real world. You might get that 10ms lower ping, but if the line is saturated the performance can be even worse. On top of that, the download speed to the end user can be quite similar even if everything is working perfectly. It can be a bit worse when doing benchmarks, but a user won't notice much of a difference, especially since the connection from the server is usually faster than the connection of the user's home network. With so many locations that CloudFlare has, they also need to keep things in cache, which can be tricky if your content isn't hit all the time they need to make space for things that do actually get hit. If you're looking strictly at the number of locations a "real" CDN, even with less locations might give a 30ms higher response time during perfect conditions, but you can count on it to be consistent. With CloudFlare as @kendid said, it's quite often the case that some requests can get a bit slow. It's a free service after all.

@kendid said:

Happy to have helped, sorry about the problem in the first place and thanks for the patience :)

But even the paid CloudFlare which is faster and has priority traffic is cheaper since bandwidth is flat rate.

edit: And there's no risk of a DDOS or bot eating up your bandwidth so you get a huge bandwidth overage charge like it happens with LW users.

• @jaden I reached out to KeyCDN about the $49 after I tried to add $29 and it would not let me. Their reply was "That is correct, the new minimum is $49. We've launched a lot of new features and new POPs at no extra cost (where other CDNs charge everything extra). The new price is a fair adjustment for the extra services provided." So @BunnySpeed here I come.

Oh, I also asked KeyCDN if I could transfer my credits to someone else and they said "No"

Thanked by 1jaden
  • Just an update -- after moving from Cloudflare to BunnyCDN, webpage loads twice as fast on average. Banner image (which took up to 6 secs sometimes on cloudflare) is consistently loading up in less than half a second... I like consistency...

• @BunnySpeed said:

@tr1cky said:

@kendid said:

Think you just got yourself a new client @bunnyspeed

Any new signup coupon or Black Friday deals?

• @WHT said:
    KeyCDN is a crapp. Your credit will expire after 1 year.

i think it happend to me with MaxCDN too. i left them, now using cloudflare + optimised my site.

• @BunnySpeed Could I buy gift credit card to add fund to my bunnycdn account?
    I'm asking because I don't have a credit card.

• @hiphiphip0 said:
    @BunnySpeed Could I buy gift credit card to add fund to my bunnycdn account?

Do you have debit?

@hiphiphip0 said:
    @BunnySpeed Could I buy gift credit card to add fund to my bunnycdn account?

Haven't tried it yet, but I'm pretty sure you can do that as long as it's one of these: Visa, MasterCard, Discover, JCB, Diner’s Club.

• bearmodebearmode Member
    edited November 2016

Take a look at BelugaCDN.com it's a free up to 100Gb a month and anything over is only $.01/gb. Pretty sure that's lower than most other CDN's. The UI is pretty good and support has been very responsible when running into issues.

Thanked by 2rokok ehab
    edited November 2016

@bearmode said:
    Take a look at BelugaCDN.com it's a free up to 100Gb a month and anything over is only $.01/gb. Pretty sure that's lower than most other CDN's. The UI is pretty good and support has been very responsible when running into issues.

Hello Beluga :)

Animal CDN kindgom it is.

• zafouharzafouhar Veteran
    edited November 2016

@BunnySpeed said:

@bearmode said:

Hello Beluga :)

Animal CDN kindgom it is.

Can you confirm if your Lenoir location is within Dacentec?

edited November 2016

@zafouhar said:

It is at the moment. We might be moving to somewhere in Atlanta soon though.

• Did bunnycdn have an offer recently? was it for the whole account?

• zafouharzafouhar Veteran
    edited November 2016

@BunnySpeed said:

@zafouhar said:

What if I told you that i'm thinking of becoming a client just because you have servers in Dacentec? :) i'm specifically looking for a CDN that has a POP as close to Dacentec as possible.

@zafouhar said:

@BunnySpeed said:

@zafouhar said:

What if I told you that i'm thinking of becoming a client just because you have servers in Dacentec? :) i'm specifically looking for a CDN that has a POP as close to Dacentec as possible.

Well, I will be honest and say that probably the biggest reason I would be considering a move was because of the negativity some people here have against Dacentec network. Maybe I misunderstood the situation. On the other hand, we monitor everything 24/7 and so far they have been great with consistent performance and fast support. That's why I said might. If the performance as good as it is now and nobody complains, there is no reason to move.

• @BunnySpeed said:

@zafouhar said:

@BunnySpeed said:

@zafouhar said:

Well, I will be honest and say that probably the biggest reason I would be considering a move was because of the negativity some people here have against Dacentec network. Maybe I misunderstood the situation. On the other hand, we monitor everything 24/7 and so far they have been great with consistent performance and fast support. That's why I said might. If the performance as good as it is now and nobody complains, there is no reason to move.

Well that is the first time I hear about network issues aswell - i'm actually going to contact you soon through your site.

edited November 2016

@ManofServer said:

@BunnySpeed said:

@tr1cky said:

@kendid said:

But even the paid CloudFlare which is faster and has priority traffic is cheaper since bandwidth is flat rate.

edit: And there's no risk of a DDOS or bot eating up your bandwidth so you get a huge bandwidth overage charge like it happens with LW users.

https://blog.cloudflare.com/bandwidth-costs-around-the-world/

Just found this. Pretty interesting.

CloudFlare has always optimized where we serve customers to take into account our effective costs. If you are a free customer using an excessive amount of expensive transit, we would serve you from fewer regions. The good news is that, over the last five years, we’ve been able to negotiate reasonable transit pricing or settlement-free peering with the vast majority of the world’s networks. That allows us to continue to provide the free version of our service as well as to keep prices low for all our paid services.

Today, however, there are six expensive networks (HiNet, Korea Telecom, Optus, Telecom Argentina, Telefonica, Telstra) that are more than an order of magnitude more expensive than other bandwidth providers around the globe and refuse to discuss local peering relationships. To give you a sense, these six networks represent less than 6% of the traffic but nearly 50% of our bandwidth costs.

While we’ve tried to engage all these providers to reduce their extremely high costs and ensure that even our Free customers can be served across their networks, we’ve hit an impasse. To that end, unfortunately, we’ve made the decision that the only thing that will change these providers’ pricing is to make it clear how out of step they are with the rest of the world. To demonstrate this, we’ve moved our Free customers off these six transit providers. Free customers will still be accessible across our network and served from another regional cache with more reasonable bandwidth pricing.

Ironically, this actually increases the cost to several of these providers because they now need to backhaul traffic to another CloudFlare data center and pay more in the process. For instance, if Telstra were to peer with CloudFlare then they would only have to move traffic over about 30 meters of fiber optic cable between our adjoining cages in the same data center. Now Telstra will need to backhaul traffic to Free customers to Los Angeles or Singapore over expensive undersea cables. Their behavior is irrational in any competitive market and so it is not a surprise that each of these providers is a relative monopolist in their home market.

• Cloudflare is a miracle!
    I live and use them. If you set proper your page rules cloudflare helps a lot.

• BunnySpeed said: Just found this. Pretty interesting.

Now please tell me that you peer with those 6 providers? I bet you don't or else you'd have to charge a lot more for specific regions.