Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which CDN do you use or recommend? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which CDN do you use or recommend?

Comments

• BunnySpeedBunnySpeed Member, Host Rep

@WHT said:
    So the credit expires after a month?

Any locations like Australia, Mexico, Brasil, India planed?

They expire after a year, but only if you don't do a recharge.
    And unfortunately no, not at the moment.

Thanked by 1WHT
  • pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2016

@BunnySpeed said:

@WHT said:
    So the credit expires after a month?

Any locations like Australia, Mexico, Brasil, India planed?

They expire after a year, but only if you don't do a recharge.
    And unfortunately no, not at the moment.

Credit expires 365 Days after the last deposit?

https://bunnycdn.com?ref=adc0wm97ve < Love you long time :P

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@ElliotJ said:

cooper said: These are wordpress test sites that will have virtually no traffic initially unless I want to test loads on the server. I'm trying to optimise page load speeds for APAC region mainly.

Move all your static wordpress files (css, js, images) over to a separate subdomain, edit the theme files to reflect the file location change, then set a ridiculously long cache time on the static file serving subdomain. Hey presto, free CDN.

This should be fine if you don't get a ton of traffic but I believe it's against their terms to have a domain used to only serve files (they say something about how you should mostly be serving full pages).

But I agree with your further point, if you're only using a few GB a month then just go with CloudFront or someone like BunnyCDN. $0.XX/mo or $X/year to get the benefits of a CDN, even on small sites, is worth it to me.

Thanked by 1cooper
  • @BeardyUnixGuy said:
    Don't forget @BunnySpeed who runs BunnyCDN. It's pay as you go.

I liked the sounds of that until I went to sign up. Seems BunnyCDN is incapable of supporting any kind of secure passwords (upper, lower, numbers, and special characters) without freaking out and thinking you're trying to take over the system.

Pretty sad and unfortunate really that a modern system can't support something so trivial. Was kinda looking forward to trying them out too. :(

Thanked by 1Lunar
  • clarity_64clarity_64 Member
    edited October 2016

I can't get BunnyCDN to work either. It randomly 404s my sub domain after working for months. It just isn't pulling the file to the server to serve it.

edited October 2016

@fluffydino said:

@BeardyUnixGuy said:
    Don't forget @BunnySpeed who runs BunnyCDN. It's pay as you go.

I liked the sounds of that until I went to sign up. Seems BunnyCDN is incapable of supporting any kind of secure passwords (upper, lower, numbers, and special characters) without freaking out and thinking you're trying to take over the system.

Pretty sad and unfortunate really that a modern system can't support something so trivial. Was kinda looking forward to trying them out too. :(

You are perfectly free to use upper case, lower case, numbers and special characters and the password is then hashed with a salted SHA256. In fact we encourage our users to use the combination of these. The problem with your password is that the ASP.NET MVC system thought it was a sort of attack because it had a form of SQL injection in it. Specifically, I'm talking about \'

I just tried to set '$s3rVo#pCJM6yP3Br^' as a password and it works fine.

@clarity_64 said:
    I can't get BunnyCDN to work either. It randomly 404s my sub domain after working for months. It just isn't pulling the file to the server to serve it.

Sorry about that. Sounds odd, this is the first time I'm hearing of something like this. Can you maybe send me your zone via a PM so I can check it out?

• @ElliotJ said:

cooper said: These are wordpress test sites that will have virtually no traffic initially unless I want to test loads on the server. I'm trying to optimise page load speeds for APAC region mainly.

Honestly, paying for a CDN most likely wouldn't be worth it. I'd recommend you tweak CloudFlare to become a ghetto CDN.

Move all your static wordpress files (css, js, images) over to a separate subdomain, edit the theme files to reflect the file location change, then set a ridiculously long cache time on the static file serving subdomain. Hey presto, free CDN.

Also, if your sites are loading popular javascript files, you can usually find them hosted at CDNjs.com - Use them as they're pre-cached globally.

Aside from doing that, AWS may be a good option due to low upfront costs (and let's face it, you're unlikely to shift over 5gb of data a month if they're low traffic) and no required deposit.

@ElliotJ Thanks for that. I hadn't thought of that approach but something like this might work out if I can keep on the right side of their ToS which @Harambe has pointed out. You also jogged my memory about the existence of CDNjs.com - ta much.

• I would just like to say that I have been messaging with @BunnySpeed this morning, and we have gotten everything taken care of. I would definitely recommend them to anyone that is looking for a CDN service.

Thanked by 1BunnySpeed
    edited October 2016

@clarity_64 said:
    I would just like to say that I have been messaging with @BunnySpeed this morning, and we have gotten everything taken care of. I would definitely recommend them to anyone that is looking for a CDN service.

Thank you. Happy to have helped :)

Thanked by 1GCat
  • We recommend CloudFlare to our clients as its good and reliable from many years

Thanked by 1Dormeo
  • @praveenk said:
    We recommend CloudFlare to our clients as its good and reliable from many years

For the last time: CloudFlare is not a true CDN.

Thanked by 3Waldo19 zafouhar GCat
  • Yes that true, better than a CDN.
    If you can use the page rules, cloudflare can be better than an expensive CDN...

• @Dormeo said:
    Yes that true, better than a CDN.
    If you can use the page rules, cloudflare can be better than an expensive CDN...

CloudFlare is a really cool product, but if performance is what you're after, you're better off using a true CDN.

Thanked by 1GCat
  • @cooper said:

I've nothing against Cloudflare but it's my understanding that if you've SSL enabled on your website it won't work on their free plan? Maybe someone more knowledgeable can clarify as I'm not 100% sure on that.

Under your crypto settings for the cloudflare SSL switch it from the preset 'Flexible' to 'Full' in strict mode. This works for us.

Thanked by 1cooper
  • DormeoDormeo Member
    edited October 2016

Cloudflare save me 4TB+ bandwidth in a month for FREE, there isn't any competitor for this "price"

@OnApp_Terry said:

@Dormeo said:
    Yes that true, better than a CDN.

CloudFlare is a really cool product, but if performance is what you're after, you're better off using a true CDN.

Thanked by 1simonindia
  • For me was bunnycdn working pretty good. So i can recommend it.
    https://bunnycdn.com?ref=6q94eu2ceb (thanks, conact me if you need help)

• @austenite said:

@cooper said:

I've nothing against Cloudflare but it's my understanding that if you've SSL enabled on your website it won't work on their free plan? Maybe someone more knowledgeable can clarify as I'm not 100% sure on that.

Under your crypto settings for the cloudflare SSL switch it from the preset 'Flexible' to 'Full' in strict mode. This works for us.

I guess cooper is talking about cloudflare's not showing his private SSL certificate but their generic one while browsing his sites.

• @erkin said:

@austenite said:

@cooper said:

I guess cooper is talking about cloudflare's not showing his private SSL certificate but their generic one while browsing his sites.

@erkin That is spot on.

• arielse said: CDN77: Excellent pricing, great throughput, good global presence, excellent dashboard super detailed, outstanding support.

I'd like to see how it's Argetinian spot performs . Too bad I don't have any source to emulate a big # of local requests

• howardsl2howardsl2 Member
    edited November 2016

Just a heads up: KeyCDN has recently increased the minimum payment to $49 (it was $29 previously), and the credits still expire after 12 months.

https://www.keycdn.com/faq#min-payment

Also if you use their log forwarding feature, beware that they now charge 3 credits ($3) PER DAY for it.

• Thanks for the update. I wish they'd been more up front about it instead of sneaking it into the docs. I've been using KeyCDN for the past few years but I will probably be switching to @BunnySpeed's BunnyCDN now.

Thanked by 1BunnySpeed
  • tmwctmwc Member
    edited November 2016

MaxCDN (haven't tried, but I have used their Bootstrap CDN on many occasions and it works very well)
    Many users have recommended CloudFront, which is good service, although usually you're locked to an S3 bucket for storage which is pretty much a lock-in.

@jaden said:
    Thanks for the update. I wish they'd been more up front about it instead of sneaking it into the docs. I've been using KeyCDN for the past few years but I will probably be switching to @BunnySpeed's BunnyCDN now.

Happy to have you :) If you decide so and need any help getting things set up let me know and I'll be happy to help out.

Thanked by 1jaden
  • @howardsl2 said:
    Just a heads up: KeyCDN has recently increased the minimum payment to $49 (it was $29 previously), and the credits still expire after 12 months.

https://www.keycdn.com/faq#min-payment

Also if you use their log forwarding feature, beware that they now charge 3 credits ($3) PER DAY for it.

I noticed that aswell but it doesn't seem to have effect on existing users? I was able to add $29 credit just now.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

Note - if you're using KeyCDN, make sure you use a custom hostname. The kxcdn domain is blocked by Ghostery and maybe a couple of ad blocker lists (under trackers).

I'm gonna be using BunnyCDN more anyways, much cheaper and to my knowledge no '5 free zone' limit like KeyCDN.

• Bunnycdn is the shit, Dejan always responds fast and the performance is great!! I highly recommend

Thanked by 1BunnySpeed
  • I noticed that as well but it doesn't seem to have effect on existing users? I was able to add $29 credit just now.

Does adding the $29 credit reset your account for another year? On my account, it says, "Recharge Amount (min. 49 USD)" on the Buy Credits page.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

+1m for BunnyCDN

Thanked by 1BunnySpeed
  • +1 for bunnycdn ... tried it out for a few weeks for free and it's amazing!

Thanked by 1BunnySpeed
  • I'm trying to setup bunnycdn -- not sure why it won't pull from my website... Not much documentation for new users, and I can't see to find a place for tickets or assistance... Might not be for me, glad it's working for the rest of you!