Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SpeedyKVM - v-Dedicated 2 Review
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SpeedyKVM - v-Dedicated 2 Review

MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
edited September 2016 in Reviews

I've been using Incero's services for a while. Back when I worked for a company with a famous mobile App, I had recommended Incero for their needs in terms of reliable storage servers.
Incero is known to run a top notch network and all hardware is, effectively, top notch as well.
The given company had a server there for a few years then they decided to keep everything in AWS... Oh well, there goes their DR plan.

Anyway, with all this, I received an account credit due to the fact that I recommended them a client (with an yearly contract as well) and recently, decided that I'd try their vDedicated Servers which is, basically, a single, huge KVM instance running in a node dedicated to you, so you get to use the full resources.

I did ask Incero why wouldn't they simply provide IPMI access or automated OS reinstalls, and they told me that it's easier to manage. In fact, I do agree with them, since they own their datacenters, they can afford to have a bunch of nodes powered on even if not being used, and monitor its statistics as well, and clients can reinstall, reboot, shutdown or whatever they need within SolusVM.

So, full specs:

v-DEDICATED 2
One VPS on a dedicated host
32GB ECC RAM (31GB usable)
Xeon E3-1230 (8 CPU)
1x 960GB SSD (800GB usable)
Single Disk
Full KVM Virtualization
10TB Transfer, 1Gbps Port
1 IPv4 ($1 for more), /64 IPv6
UPS Protected Power

Bench.sh Script

Benchmark started on Mon Sep 26 17:43:49 EDT 2016
Full benchmark log: /root/bench.log

System Info
-----------
Processor       : QEMU Virtual CPU version (cpu64-rhel6)
CPU Cores       : 8
Frequency       : 3200.022 MHz
Memory          : 31428 MB
Swap            : 4095 MB
Uptime          : 10 min,

OS              : CentOS release 6.8 (Final)
Arch            : x86_64 (64 Bit)
Kernel          : 2.6.32-504.23.4.el6.x86_64
Hostname        : mr-el-cheapo

Speedtest (IPv4 only)
---------------------
Your public IPv4 is 107.155.**.***

Location                Provider        Speed
CDN                     Cachefly        105MB/s

Atlanta, GA, US         Coloat          46.2MB/s
Dallas, TX, US          Softlayer       104MB/s
Seattle, WA, US         Softlayer       31.9MB/s
San Jose, CA, US        Softlayer       36.4MB/s
Washington, DC, US      Softlayer       38.2MB/s

Tokyo, Japan            Linode          9.44MB/s
Singapore               Softlayer       5.33MB/s

Rotterdam, Netherlands  id3.net         9.97MB/s
Haarlem, Netherlands    Leaseweb        110MB/s

Disk Speed
----------
I/O (1st run)   : 233 MB/s
I/O (2nd run)   : 251 MB/s
I/O (3rd run)   : 241 MB/s
Average I/O     : 241.667 MB/s

Geekbench 3 (Click me!)

The server performs great. I have been using it as a lab-enviroment, reinstalling it every day.

Do let me know if you guys want me to run anything specific, got until the 29th to use it.

Cheers!

Comments

• If only they could provide a reliable network...

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@bcacb said:
    If only they could provide a reliable network...

Did you have a service with them?
    I've always had a reliable network.
    Prior to getting the v-Dedicated I ran a KVM instance there @ SpeedyKVM, network has always been top notch.

• bcacbbcacb Member
    edited September 2016

Yes, I tried them in June-July. They were down most of that time (https://twitter.com/InceroStatus) so I canceled and in return they listed me on fraud record.. lmao. Be very careful with those guys.

@bcacb said:
    Yes, I tried them in June-July. They were down most of that time (https://twitter.com/InceroStatus) so I canceled and in return they listed me on fraud record.. lmao. Be very careful with those guys.

Hmm, I see. I never had a single bad experience with Incero/Gordon, at all.

As for their network, we've always been able to push it to the 1/2Gbps bounded cards in the backup server we had with them.

• MrGeneral said: As for their network, we've always been able to push it to the 1/2Gbps bounded cards in the backup server we had with them.

I wouldn't even use them for backups, but best of luck if you like them.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • MrGeneral said: Average I/O : 241.667 MB/s

is that ok for SSD?

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@bcacb said:

Should have looked at reviews first. They're known to be unkind to anyone who wants anything other than giving them more money.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • MikeA said: Should have looked at reviews first. They're known to be unkind to anyone who wants anything other than giving them more money.

Lesson learned the hard way I suppose.

• That's never ever their correct speed to Haarlem/NL... ;-)
    I guess that's rather Leaseweb USA.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@Amitz said:
    That's never ever their correct speed to Haarlem/NL... ;-)

The leaseweb mirror is anycast (or does some DNS redirect, can't remember which) so it would be pulling from their Washington DC/VA location.

• Amitz said: That's never ever their correct speed to Haarlem/NL... ;-)

That script uses mirror.leaseweb.com which is a geo dns so the nearest mirror is used.

Output of host on a vps i got hosted on a friends dedi at Incero.

mirror.leaseweb.com is an alias for geomirror.lswcdn.net.
    geomirror.lswcdn.net is an alias for mirror.wdc1.us.leaseweb.net.
    mirror.wdc1.us.leaseweb.net has address 108.59.10.97
    mirror.wdc1.us.leaseweb.net has IPv6 address 2604:9a00:2010:a001:1:face:bad:c0de

@dedicados said:

MrGeneral said: Average I/O : 241.667 MB/s

is that ok for SSD?

While it's not accurate (dd), the VPS has been snappy.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@dedicados said:

is that ok for SSD?

The site lists E3-1230 and they're probably using a cheaper Supermicro board with SATA2.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @dedicados said:

is that ok for SSD?

At the end of the day, who cares . . . the only the thing that matters is that I/O is sufficient for the purpose of the server. Besides, it's a useless sequential result. SATA2/3 isn't going to make any difference when it comes to random I/O.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited September 2016

MikeA said: Should have looked at reviews first. They're known to be unkind to anyone who wants anything other than giving them more money.

Hmm.

MikeA said: Montreal, CA | Dallas, TX | Gravelines, FR

Nice signature. Carry on then :)

<3 Incero. I may consider them friends, but I wouldn't host customers with anyone but the best. I'm not that stupid, I love my customers and I love my uptime. Bonus points that I get to call my favorite provider friends. There's a reason I picked Incero for Catalyst long before I had ever spoken to Gordon and much longer before Ryan ever got a job there. I knew Incero was the network I wanted to be in when I experienced it first as a customer of RamNode.

bcacb said: They were down most of that time

Well that's just not true. Ask my customers about all of the outages they didn't experience around that time, and it's not like I'm on the "friend upstream." It's all racked the same.

Thanked by 2MikePT mycosys
    edited September 2016

@jarland said:

MikeA said: Should have looked at reviews first. They're known to be unkind to anyone who wants anything other than giving them more money.

Hmm.

MikeA said: Montreal, CA | Dallas, TX | Gravelines, FR

Nice signature. Carry on then :)

<3 Incero. I may consider them friends, but I wouldn't host customers with anyone but the best. I'm not that stupid, I love my customers and I love my uptime. Bonus points that I get to call my favorite provider friends. There's a reason I picked Incero for Catalyst long before I had ever spoken to Gordon and much longer before Ryan ever got a job there.

I don't like my Dallas offers, my post had nothing to do with self advertising, I'm actually considering closing my Dallas location. In regards to hardware Incero/SpeedyKVM is faster than mine in that location.

If you've seen things about them on WHT and elsewhere you'd know what I'm talking about.

MikeA said: my post had nothing to do with self advertising

Okay :)

@jarland said:

MikeA said: my post had nothing to do with self advertising

Okay :)

I'll remove my signature if that makes you happy.

MikeA said: I'll remove my signature if that makes you happy.

I didn't say anything haha

Thanked by 1lontong
  • jarland said: Well that's just not true. Ask my customers about all of the outages they didn't experience around that time, and it's not like I'm on the "friend upstream." It's all racked the same.

It's true, days of downtime is what i experienced with SpeedyKVM and their twitter status page confirms it, as well as other clients on twitter asking what's going on with no answers.

Thanked by 1MikeA
    edited September 2016

@bcacb said:

jarland said: Well that's just not true. Ask my customers about all of the outages they didn't experience around that time, and it's not like I'm on the "friend upstream." It's all racked the same.

It's true, days of downtime is what i experienced with SpeedyKVM and their twitter status page confirms it, as well as other clients on twitter asking what's going on with no answers.

Oh I thought since you linked Incero twitter you meant their whole operation (they generally keep the brands separated). I still don't see anything about days of downtime though. I had some SpeedyKVM stuff around that time that was working for what it's worth. I used one of their storage boxes to do an NFS mount for a few months.

• MrGeneral said: Processor : QEMU Virtual CPU version (cpu64-rhel6)

You loose AES-IN encryption when using qemu for the cpu, hence the low geekbench score. I wonder if they could configure the VM using "host pass-trough"? Was about to order one VD-1 but...

@FredQc said:

MrGeneral said: Processor : QEMU Virtual CPU version (cpu64-rhel6)

You loose AES-IN encryption when using qemu for the cpu, hence the low geekbench score. I wonder if they could configure the VM using "host pass-trough"? Was about to order one VD-1 but...

I'll ask them tomorrow if it's possible to enable it :)

Thanked by 1FredQc
  • ryanarpryanarp Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2016

@FredQc said:

No problem on setting host pass-through. Just open a ticket and I am sure they will be happy to assist you over at SpeedyKVM.

Thanked by 2MikePT vimalware

@ryanarp said:

@FredQc said:

No problem on setting host pass-through. Just open a ticket and they will be happy to assist you over at SpeedyKVM.

Great to see you here Ryan!

Thanked by 1ryanarp
  • camjac251camjac251 Member
    edited September 2016

I was hoping to try out their V-Dedicated 1.D plan since it was originally only 4TB but they had updated it since I wanted to possibly get another 4TB to add on. They deployed it just fine but I had asked for them to add an Ubuntu 16.04 ISO over tickets, an hour later (after no response over tickets) I started up a live chat with a very unhelpful response. Shortly after I get this...

• @camjac251 said:
    I was hoping to try out their V-Dedicated 1.D plan since it was originally only 4TB but they had updated it since I wanted to possibly get another 4TB to add on. They deployed it just fine but I had asked for them to add an Ubuntu 16.04 ISO over tickets, an hour later (after no response over tickets) I started up a live chat with a very unhelpful response. Shortly after I get this...

So they cancelled your service and refunded you because of this?

@FredQc said:

@camjac251 said:

So they cancelled your service and refunded you because of this?

This is how Incero brands operate. This is why I made my statements above.

edited September 2016

MikeA said: This is how Incero brands operate. This is why I made my statements above.

So if they have a live chat that interfaces with a ticket and they close the ticket for a closed chat, that's a reason for you to be a dick?

That's what it looks like to me anyway. Then again I'm actually reading and not just looking for reasons to be a prick. You just take any chance to take shots don't you. I bet if Gordon buys a sandwich you'd find a way to talk shit about it.

camjac251 said: an hour later (after no response over tickets) I started up a live chat with a very unhelpful response

So you didn't get a reply to a ticket for an hour and you opened a live chat, and the live chat generated a ticket which they closed after the live chat was closed. I only hear one thing that seems wrong to me, opening a live chat to bump a non-emergency ticket.

@jarland said:

MikeA said: This is how Incero brands operate. This is why I made my statements above.

So if they have a live chat that interfaces with a ticket and they close the ticket for a closed chat, that's a reason for you to be a dick?

That's what it looks like to me anyway. Then again I'm actually reading and not just looking for reasons to be a prick. You just take any chance to take shots don't you. I bet if Gordon buys a sandwich you'd find a way to talk shit about it.

Who pissed in your Cheerios? Do you work for Incero? I'm going off of public experiences of others, and looking at their brand over time.