Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Yahoo security breach confirmed - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Yahoo security breach confirmed

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited September 2016

My yahoo does not work since yesterday, is a login loop for some reason.
    I don't want to be them now...

Thanked by 1netomx
  • DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

If you want to earn extra money then start data selling business and blame on hackers.

• @Maounique said:

This message came when cookies gets cleared. Did you check this?

• @DewlanceVPS said:
    If you want to earn extra money then start data selling business and blame on hackers.

Thanks. We will all know exactly what happened whenever your db gets dumped next.

Thanked by 1JahAGR
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I tried different browsers and devices, I think there is a problem with the cookie it sets. It worked yesterday morning and every time before, even tho it is true I keep it logged in and open permanently, so I do not know when the cookie expired.

• @Maounique said:
    I tried different browsers and devices, I think there is a problem with the cookie it sets.

It will work on mobile app.

• @seriesn said:
    Does that mean I can finally have access to my yahoo account? I have forgotten my username and password.

lol:)

• @DewlanceVPS said:

is that your business strategy?

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited September 2016

Compuserve for the win! My EasyPlex is better than your eMail! (Something for the oldies here)

Say 'Hello' to the 80ies...

Thanked by 2Ole_Juul deadbeef
  • AnthonySmith said: I have not used yahoo for about 10 years, to me it seems about as relevant/current as using AOL as an ISP.

This, I actually consider anyone using a yahoo email address as 99.999% chance fraudulent intent.

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@Lee said:

AnthonySmith said: I have not used yahoo for about 10 years, to me it seems about as relevant/current as using AOL as an ISP.

This, I actually consider anyone using a yahoo email address as 99.999% chance fraudulent intent.

Which just went to 100% for business.

• Lee said: This, I actually consider anyone using a yahoo email address as 99.999% chance fraudulent intent.

This may be a bit harsh. You guys aren't representative. I know a number of (ordinary) people who still use Yahoo addresses: old-timers from 90s who out of habit still use Yahoo and even claim to like the interface (go figure!).

(Businesses are a different matter.)

Anyway, the breach was in 2014: they're simply admitting it only now.

• angstrom said: Anyway, the breach was in 2014: they're simply admitting it only now.

needed to get the sale done before...

Thanked by 2Maounique netomx
  • @angstrom said:

Anyway, the breach was in 2014: they're simply admitting it only now.

Seems they are only just finding it. Kinda seems they didnt find it til the .onion sale surfaced. Rather sad for what 20 years ago was THE internet company

• It seems like there are more questions than answers:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/sep/23/yahoo-questinos-hack-researchers

(The typo in the copied link is in the original at this time.)

• have account with yahoo, but never has been used. prefer using gmail and protonmail these days.

• NihimNihim Member
    edited September 2016

@Lee said:

AnthonySmith said: I have not used yahoo for about 10 years, to me it seems about as relevant/current as using AOL as an ISP.

Aouts

@AnthonySmith said:

@Lee said:

Which just went to 100% for business.

Damnit! Stop hurting me :(

Yea I still use yahoo from habit since I was ~9? & because I can't be arsed to move to gmail or something - too many stuff to change it for. Though do have my own email hosted with Jarland.

Thanked by 1mycosys
  • MacPacMacPac Member
    edited September 2016

Yahoo has always suffered from vulnerabilities since Gammarays ( A Post-mortem of Yahoo! Account Security ) to the spamming bots bypassing the captcha to spam the chat rooms without any effecting solution until the closing of the chat rooms therefore this is not a surprise at all.

@robohost said:

I am saying this is business strategy of Yahoo, LinkedIn and thousands of big company who simply say sorry that 100 billion account details stolen. Why hackers do not stole data of google? Because Google earn enough money so its easy way for Yahoo, etc to sell customers data.

• @DewlanceVPS said:

@robohost said:

I am saying this is business strategy of Yahoo, LinkedIn and thousands of big company who simply say sorry that 100 billion account details stolen. Why hackers do not stole data of google? Because Google earn enough money so its easy way for Yahoo, etc to sell customers data.

Do you have a proof for your statements?and what's the guarante that's not your business strategy?

Thanked by 1mycosys

@robohost said:
    Do you have a proof for your statements?and what's the guarante that's not your business strategy?

This is my personal thoughts because of no one can hack google but they can hack Yahoo which is weird.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

I still use Yahoo for my main mail, but only because it's nearly impossible to me to switch eeeeeeverything over to my Google mail. And I don't trust the mail forwarding / SMTP on Yahoo to redirect all of my mail by itself. It's slowly being switched over manually. But god there's so many problems with the Yahoo mail interface.

• @DewlanceVPS said:

@robohost said:

This is my personal thoughts because of no one can hack google but they can hack Yahoo which is weird.

Every companies and software has it's own security level, when no one can hack it's systems is it weird?

• andiklive said: have account with yahoo, but never has been used.

Can I have it?

• @MikeA said:
    I still use Yahoo for my main mail, but only because it's nearly impossible to me to switch eeeeeeverything over to my Google mail. And I don't trust the mail forwarding / SMTP on Yahoo to redirect all of my mail by itself. It's slowly being switched over manually. But god there's so many problems with the Yahoo mail interface.

To be honest i am still using the classic interface - the new one is an abomination.
    And yeah, pretty much anythign still on yahoo is of very low value to me. the disposible email addys on a single acct is v handy.

@robohost said:

@DewlanceVPS said:

@robohost said:

Lol, Today I read a news that CEO of Yahoo agree that it was hacked because Yahoo allowed hackers to hack it and she did not got bonus. Of-course hackers payed her a lot of money so who cares about small amount.

Now I have a proof: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/01/technology/yahoo-hack-lawyer-resigns-ceo-bonus.html

• who in the right mind still uses yahoo anyway?

• @DewlanceVPS said:

@robohost said:

@DewlanceVPS said:

@robohost said:

Lol, Today I read a news that CEO of Yahoo agree that it was hacked because Yahoo allowed hackers to hack it and she did not got bonus. Of-course hackers payed her a lot of money so who cares about small amount.

Now I have a proof: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/01/technology/yahoo-hack-lawyer-resigns-ceo-bonus.html

What the honest fuck are you talking about?

Thanked by 1Maounique

@AlyssaD said:

This is not for you.

• @DewlanceVPS said:

@AlyssaD said:

This is not for you.

What?