Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

limited special dedicated at ovh.de - Page 8
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

limited special dedicated at ovh.de

Comments

• WHT said: I have an old server from sys e3-1220v2 soft raid1.

edit: HDD (2x2 TB)

How did you measure the 1GB+ I/O? I really cannot imagine that at all with spinning disks...

• Ok seems I have seen something wrong here lol. 1.1 GB is the file size :)

[root@nsxxx ~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=/root/testfile bs=1G count=1 oflag=direct
    1+0 records in
    1+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 10.6464 s, 101 MB/s
    [root@ns3xxx ~]#

Thanked by 2Amitz Falzo
  • That sounds way more like real life! :)

Thanked by 1WHT
  • @lusirhe said:

I have to agree, while price is cheap, every offer may come at a cost, so everyone should definitely think about if this matches his expectations. and that's also the reason I keep in posting benchmarks, so everyone can come to his own conclusions ;-)

just to make this clear my intentions are far from glorifying OVH or something like that. I even can confirm that at least their ticket support is more like non existent.

I'll do find that whole offer a very good box though ^^

• oh well, maybe they'll remove the ovh<->ovh 250Mbps cap... who knows.

• ANNNNNNNNND THEYYYYYY'REEEEE GONE!!!!

• RodneyRodney Member
    edited September 2016

Somehow my order failed (OVH emailed and even called me lol).

Welp, now that I read that it's limited to 250 Mbps and not burstable I'm glad they are saving me some money :) Hetzner it is! (But first I need to get my account reactivated).

• @jeromeza said:
    ANNNNNNNNND THEYYYYYY'REEEEE GONE!!!!

are you sure? I got another one just now.

• At least gone on the german site:

• MadMad Member
    edited September 2016

@vi2016 said:

It actually seems to be a bug, there is no availability there.

Your order might remain "in progress" until they release it in BHS.

• @Harambe said:

@MrGeneral said:

@HyperSpeed said:

@Harambe said:

@HyperSpeed said:
    Obviously they're from different ranges and I believe it's causing a problem somewhere. Anyone got any clues, would be much appreciated!

You got your Virtual MACs setup properly? Should instantly connect with those settings if the Virtual MAC is enabled in IP Management section of OVH panel and you paste that into the network settings of the VM you create.

http://help.ovh.com/Proxmox#link3

Just double checked, the VMac on the manager matches the Mac address on the Proxmox Network Device of the VM, it must pick up the network but just displays "No Internet Access".

Then something isn't right in your network config :p

Yeah, something's not right. Mine just automatically connects after the IP & gateway get set.

Other things to check @HyperSpeed:

• If you picked VirtIO, did you load drivers?
    • Possibly using the wrong bridge? If you did their auto install, vmbr0 is what you want.

It was late and I'm not quite sure what I did or what I may have missed but after trying a completely different IP and starting afresh it seemed to work with the config above after setting the vMac in OVH and promox it appeared to pick up the connection fine. Not sure what was wrong with the other IP!

@Falzo said:

@HyperSpeed said:
    Trying to use Proxmox, managed to get it setup etc and VM installed but it wont pickup a network - I purchased a block of /30 (4) but they're in a different range and following OVH's instruction to set on Windows:

Fail-Ov IP: 173.--

Netmask: 255.255.255.255

Gateway: IP Of server 37.--(.254)

Obviously they're from different ranges and I believe it's causing a problem somewhere. Anyone got any clues, would be much appreciated!

for linux VMs it definitely works to set up like this. you might need to add a default route though (or use pointopoint). for LXC containers proxmox normally adds those route to your network config.

note that the gateway on ovh always should be the IP of your host itself with the last block changed to .254 (like you already stated yourself)

sadly I have no experience with windows as a guest but I guess it most probably should work out of the box as it is supposed to use some kind of pointopoint configuration if the netmask is 255.255.255.255 anyways.

yesterday I supported someone else by playing around with LXC and didn't worked at the beginning either. still the configuration was right and suddenly it started working, so just maybe it takes some time for ovh to initiate/complete the routing of new IP blocks? just a wild guess...

I believe it maybe suddenly started working as you say, config was correct and I could see the network receiving traffic just not sending a response, all of a sudden it appears to have kicked in at some point after trying another address!

Just got to try figure out how to utilise the remaining physical disks on proxmox haha!

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • I went with RAID 5,

Was going to ask, best to install Windows straight on? Or ProxMox / ESXi and then Windows as a VM?

• twiigltwiigl Member
    edited September 2016

My order for SBG got cancelled by OVH :D. They've tried to call me without success, then sent an email.

• Almost 24 hours..still waiting for verification .. sigh.

• Regarding installing ESXi on this server and order /29 or such. Can I use those IP's right away in the VM's or is there a network/routing setup needed before I can use them?

• @PirateHitman said:
    I went with RAID 5,

Was going to ask, best to install Windows straight on? Or ProxMox / ESXi and then Windows as a VM?

Either or but I decided ProxMox with the intention of being able to manage it a bit better! In theory haha

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@HyperSpeed said:

Either or but I decided ProxMox with the intention of being able to manage it a bit better! In theory haha

The 500GB of free backup space (mounted via NFS, super easy to configure in Proxmox) comes in handy for snapshotting your VMs.

Thanked by 1HyperSpeed
  • Does OVH make refunds? I've have changed my mind. It's a good offer but too expensive for my needs.

Thanked by 1gaRt3n
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited September 2016

@imok said:
    Does OVH make refunds? I've have changed my mind. It's a good offer but too expensive for my needs.

They will probably not even take the time before the renewal date to tell you this if you ask them. ;)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Of course they offer refunds, it´s called "Widerrufsrecht" in German.
    You can return a server within 14 days by law.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited September 2016

freeneter said: Of course they offer refunds, it´s called "Widerrufsrecht" in German. You can return a server within 14 days by law.

Right, but did you ever try that? What if your account is not with the german branch? Not mocking, serious question.

German AGB (TOS) concerning "Widerruf"

OVH GmbH
    Dudweiler Landstraße 5
    66123 Saarbrücken
    Fax: +49 (0) 681 8761827
    E-Mail: [email protected]
    Internetadresse: http://www.ovh.de
    Widerrufsfolgen
    Im Falle eines wirksamen Widerrufs sind die beiderseits empfangenen
    Leistungen zurückzugewähren. Dies kann dazu führen, dass Sie die
    vertraglichen Zahlungsverpflichtungen für den Zeitraum bis zum Widerruf
    gleichwohl erfüllen müssen. Können Sie uns die empfangene Leistung sowie
    Nutzungen (z.B. Gebrauchsvorteile) nicht oder teilweise nicht oder nur in
    verschlechtertem Zustand zurückgewähren beziehungsweise herausgeben,
    müssen Sie uns insoweit Wertersatz leisten. Verpflichtungen zur Erstattung
    von Zahlungen müssen innerhalb von 30 Tagen erfüllt werden. Die Frist
    beginnt für Sie mit der Absendung Ihrer Widerrufserklärung, für uns mit deren
    Empfang.
    Besonderer Hinweis:
    Ihr Widerrufsrecht erlischt vorzeitig, wenn der Vertrag von beiden Seiten auf
    Ihren ausdrücklichen Wunsch vollständig erfüllt ist, bevor Sie Ihr
    Widerrufsrecht ausgeübt haben.
    Ende der Widerrufsbelehrung
    Das vorstehende Widerrufsrecht gilt nicht, sofern das Rechtsgeschäft Ihrer
    gewerblichen oder beruflichen Tätigkeit zugerechnet werden kann. 

I just sent them my "Widerruf" (German OVH branch). They should honour that, but let's see what happens! With OVH, everything is possible. I will report.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • RazzaRazza Member
    edited September 2016

Any one else having slow network speed's , it's that slow that my Kimsufi in RBX1 is faster.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited September 2016

You should not install something on the Server, otherwise they will not refund you, as I read multiple times.

But Hetzner even bills you after 10-14 days after you ordered the box, so you can still return it for free but not to often.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • boerndboernd Member
    edited September 2016

@Neoon said:
    You should not install something on the Server, otherwise they will not refund you, as I read multiple times.

I have also made this experience.
    OVH.de will only accept a "Widerruf" according to german law if the server is not installed.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2016

Neoon said: You should not install something on the Server, otherwise they will not refund you

Yes exactly you can refund if you didn't install an OS yet. Maybe by German law also you can even if you did, but the OS thing is the general OVH rule across all jurisdictions.

• Amitz said: I just sent them my "Widerruf" (German OVH branch). They should honour that, but let's see what happens! With OVH, everything is possible. I will report.

+1 for this. no more urban myth but hopefully real answers.

did you send it as email or via FAX?

If I am not mistaken, OS installation wont hurt in terms of the german law. they may charge for the two days you used it though, but after all should do a partial refund at least.

this will be interesting. I guess it heavily depends on where you are located for how they work with that.

• I have sent it via Fax and eMail. Just to be on the safe side. But I guess that the installed OS will stand in the way. We will see! ;)

• @jeromeza said:
    ANNNNNNNNND THEYYYYYY'REEEEE GONE!!!!

Phew I can stop tormenting myself by wanting one despite having no compelling reason to need it. It was double what I pay Online.net BUT 8 times the resources (I've a Dedibox XC 2015 so 8GB Ram, 1TB HDD).

Thanked by 1ehab
  • @Amitz said:
    I have sent it via Fax and eMail. Just to be on the safe side. But I guess that the installed OS will stand in the way. We will see! ;)

Why did you want to refund? :p

This discussion has been closed.