Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

POLL: Should LowEndTalk be a community or a business? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

POLL: Should LowEndTalk be a community or a business?

Comments

• LeeLee Veteran

@joepie91 said: I don't get why it's so hard to read the question.

It's not hard to read the question, what you are asking is so heavily loaded.

• @httpzoom said: It should be a community based business.

In my opinion, it's currently a business based community.

• JacobJacob Member
    edited March 2013

Someone should setup a vanilla forums, and clone all the public members accounts and posts = New LET.

We can call it thenewlowendtalk.com / thenewlowendbox.com

/sarcasm

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@W1V_Lee said: It's not hard to read the question, what you are asking is so heavily loaded.

How is it?

@httpzoom said: It should be a community based business.

Can you explain more about your reasoning for that?

• LeeLee Veteran

@joepie91 said: How is it?

You are asking specifically about LET and leaving it open ended, given all the discussion going around on this topic people naturally can't just leave it at Community or business. Aside from that it just seem like clarifying the obvious, I am pretty sure even you would not have expected many to vote business.

I am sure you have a reason for asking the question but what is the point of it? Perhaps if you add some context to the question it could be directed better.

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

Why is there no "don't care" option?

To me it makes no difference really. :-)

• @Jacob said: Someone should setup a vanilla forums, and clone all the public members accounts and posts = New LET.

We can call it thenewlowendtalk.com / thenewlowendbox.com

/sarcasm

Have you heard of @AnthonySmith s project LowEndSpirit: http://forum.lowendspirit.com/ and http://lowendspirit.com? It tries to go back to the root of LEB, doing awesome stuff with Low End boxes. Not the stuff that is currently going around here, people using LEB because they are to stupid to google...

• flyfly Member

it's cool if chief wants to make some money, it'll be great if some of that money is returned in the form of contest prizes or such.

it's a win-win for providers and regular contributors to see non-intrusive relevant ads, but it's a whole other thing for chief to just be sitting out and milking the money

• alexalex Member

what a load of crap, makes me wonder if people here are adults after all

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited March 2013

Lets see how this works out

• Have you heard of @AnthonySmith s project LowEndSpirit: http://forum.lowendspirit.com/

Yes, but the lowendspirit.com appears to be a seller of VPS. Kind of confusing.

The site: http://forum.lowendspirit.com/ has nothing for content. No idea of what it is about from that homepage.

"Doing more with less" <--- that is the content aside from VPS being mentioned 75% down the page.

Good luck with that.

• @pubcrawler said: Yes, but the lowendspirit.com appears to be a seller of VPS. Kind of confusing.

The site: http://forum.lowendspirit.com/ has nothing for content. No idea of what it is about from that homepage.

I think LowEndSpirit forum was meant to be the support forum for the business.

I think 96mb started a new forum running on LEB this past weekend, raindog308 has something similar running as well.

• I can't vote as I do not see one excluding the other.

• @ShardHost said: I can't vote as I do not see one excluding the other.

+1, WHT is 100 times bigger than LET as a community and 100 times more profitable as well as a business.

• WHT is a subsidiary of a larger "media" company. Long has been a BUSY website.

Unsure what the WHT direct revenues are, but they could be very high or not much higher than here.

That said, WHT addresses far more than LEB/LET ever will with their tiny niche. I mean, the money is in selling a rack, a cage, 10Gbps connects, routers, etc. That stuff costs exponentially way more than $7 maximum VPS accounts. So the ad dollars should be much more.

100 times more profitable? That would mean WHT would be a $120 million a year business. There is no way WHT is that big. Their revenues are likely in the 3-5 million range.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited March 2013

IT costs $600 just to sticky an ad on WHT for a week ^^

• What is an ad over that that costs $600 @W1V_Lee? Graphic ads or those stuck at the top of category ads?

• @pubcrawler said: 100 times more profitable? That would mean WHT would be a $120 million a year business. There is no way WHT is that big. Their revenues are likely in the 3-5 million range.

Sorry, 100 is just an analogy, I was not thinking of the mathematical parts when I typed in the numbers.

@W1V_Lee said: IT costs $600 just to sticky an ad on WHT for a week ^^

Wow, that's a lot!

• All good @zhuanyi. :)

Comparing the sites is interesting. Weird top traffic origins for both sites.

There is a finite money to be made unless they diversify, create other sites (already cluttered enough), have more outright ads, sponsor events, branch into other media. Ceiling cap and range from 0-5 million covers all I'd bet. Exceptions above that high end = above diversification.

WHT is good, but search kind of sucks on there too. Moderators can be royally insane.

Never understood why WHT didn't just create low end offers section/sale section/specials to head on compete with LET/LEB.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited March 2013

I am Referring to just simply having your ad thread in the ads section stickied to the top of the forum, it's $600, the banner ads can be into the thousands.

• $600 for a sticky.. That's funny. Good luck with that insane model.

Now off to count me some stickies :)

• 2 stickies for the VPS offers, 6 for colocation.

Bunch some of the offers areas have ZERO stickies.

• nothing precludes both

• LeeLee Veteran

It varies actually, never noticed that before, for sticky thread in the shared hosting section it is $200 a week, reseller section is $150, sure VPS is $600 and so is dedicated.

• @joepie91 community. That's a period there. Here's another.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@W1V_Lee said: You are asking specifically about LET and leaving it open ended, given all the discussion going around on this topic people naturally can't just leave it at Community or business.

I'm not sure how that is a bad thing?

@W1V_Lee said: Aside from that it just seem like clarifying the obvious, I am pretty sure even you would not have expected many to vote business.

If it's that obvious, then I wonder why so many people seem to implicitly assume that people desire for LET to be a business.

@W1V_Lee said: I am sure you have a reason for asking the question but what is the point of it?

The point is to give a clear view of what the members of the community want LET to be, a view that can't be guessed about or argued with, but proven by statistics. That said, the ratio of votes is changing in such a weird way that I have the idea someone's gaming it.

@Oliver said: Why is there no "don't care" option?

To me it makes no difference really. :-)

You're free not to vote, that's why :)

@ShardHost said: I can't vote as I do not see one excluding the other.

Which is why the question says "primarily".

I'm starting to get the feeling that I need to include a word-by-word breakdown of what the sentence consists of, to get people to understand the question.

• LeeLee Veteran

@joepie91 said: That said, the ratio of votes is changing in such a weird way that I have the idea someone's gaming it.

I agree, it was like 80:20 at one point now its near 50:50, BS!

• IshaqIshaq Member

Community. A forum shouldn't be a business.

• jellyjelly Member

false dichotomy. LET is currently run at the hosting level as a business (profitable through ads etc) but as a forum it is purely a community with its fair share of good posters and bad posters

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

@joepie91 said: You're free not to vote, that's why :)

Sure but then the people (or is it just me?) who don't care aren't represented at all.